IMDb > "Louie" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

We've got to go

Author: WrathChld from United States
7 October 2016

I recently watched the entire series, but prior to that I had little to no real background on Louis CK. I found the show was similar to that of Seinfeld as it focused on the comedians real life as opposed to just playing a character on a show. In both cases its about the comedian and there day to day life. While Louis CK basically plays himself, he is really playing a version of himself. I found the show quite funny and it made me wonder how close to the character of Louie is Louis CK. I also wondered why I didn't know more about him before watching this show. I use to see him and thought he was some old man, but he is like 10 years older than I am. I feel we see a better version of the stand up comedian life than was portrayed in Seinfeld. Hell, even good old Jerry Seinfeld made a couple of appearances. Although in great Louis CK fashion, Louie was a disappointment to someone else. If you would compare the two, Jerry is a clean comedian and Louis is much more raunchy. I haven't seen enough of his stand up act to say he is raunchy like an Eddie Murphy, but he certainly talks about sex and masturbation a lot. Unlike Louie the Character, Louis CK is more than successful as a stand up comedian and actor/writer/producer. He has certainly made millions and he did make one hell of a show.

A show about you and me

Author: dkshkndpal from India
11 September 2016

I've been sitting here trying to come up with a word that best describes 'Louie' and 'honest' is the best I could do. This show is a comedian's life for all to see and it's surprisingly not that different from yours and mine. I never thought that the life of a simple unremarkable man could be so engaging and funny when seen from different eyes. I guess the thing I liked the most about the show is how it doesn't try too hard. It doesn't try too hard to make you laugh or to rope you in. It's like an art in the museum that speaks to you even though it doesn't and you get sucked in. The show's just there and you just keep watching it and a few episodes in, you'll say to yourself "yeah man, that's so true" and it'll probably hit you then what a masterpiece Louis C K has created. Louie is like a painting without all the artsy paraphernalia. It's like a perfect stroke of single colour (life) by an anonymous artist. So, if you're looking for a show that'll make you laugh your eyes out or a show full of witty one liners, this is not for you. It's for the people who rejoice in simple things and don't mind admitting that you've no control over your life but still strive hard to be better at their jobs, at being a better father, a better friend. To me the show says "this is my life and this is how I go about it" and that's it. It doesn't preach you about living your life a certain way, to start eating healthy, to hit the gym, to do your chores and embrace all your duties happily. It's just a show about a man and I hardly think it's important that he's a comedian, living his life. I am going to go ahead and call 'Louie' the best depiction of life. If somebody asked me "what is life?" I would hand them the DVD set of this show as an answer. 'Louie' reminds me a lot of Woody Allen's movies and it's because there's a common thread,' New York'. Now, I am not an American and have never been to the States but from what I've seen in the movies it's pretty evident that people from New York truly love it there. The romanticism that Woody Allen shares with New York was pretty evident in his movies and I think it holds true for Louie too. The show is shot beautifully and you get to see why it is that this city has captured the hearts of so many people All in all, 'Louie' is a great show and I can't recommend it enough. So, if you are alive and healthy watch it.

What a gem.

Author: ahmedetemadi from United Kingdom
19 June 2016

Words can't fully describe my admiration for this gem of a show. Also, before I give a short and brief review and if you see this, could you please read it because this is my favourite show of all time and has been very important to my life.

I live in London, England and the comedy here is good. At times terrible, but you get the odd quality comedian here in Britain, like Stewart Lee, Tim Vine or Omid Djalili and many more. Having said this, after watching the show I'm incredulous and shocked by the delivery and punch to Louis' stand up and am impressed by his acting skills along with his friends, such as Nick DiPaolo and Todd Barry, so I might now prefer American comedy I must admit. This is after seeing a show jam packed with American comedians (apart from Ricky Gervais who featured in 2 separate episodes and was absolutely hilarious in both, playing a facetious and inappropriate doctor). And it's not just the brilliant and breathtakingly funny comedy moments, but it's the story lines that I mostly appreciate. Every episode is good, take my word for it.

What I love about the show is that it can combine effortlessly comedy, honesty, drama and an acute sense of passion for philosophy and where we stand as a human race in this wide world. I cried while watching 2 episodes, the other 59 were superb but none touched me in the way that these two did (well I may have cried of laughter in some of the others). The episodes were "Eddie" and "Duckling", both episodes in season 2. Some really dramatic and hilarious and artistic moments affected me that it gave my life a high that I had never felt before whilst watching a TV series, it was true, utter quality in every bloody episode.

However, if vulgarity is an issue for you, unfortunately this is not the show for you (for example I would never show my mother this as she hates any comedy that is crude). But if you can take it, and actually enjoy it, you will adore this show.

Thank you very much.

An interesting comedy/drama series.

Author: PotatotatoP
19 March 2014

---This review was written after watching seasons 1~3---

I am not a big fan of stand-up comedy, so it's rare when I find a comedian very funny. Louis C.K. is one of those rare cases for me. But his series is something else entirely. The first season is some of the weirdest, most awkward, but funniest seasons in comedy I've ever seen. Dark humor, annoying (little) things in life, and with a healthy dose of surreal situations make for a combination I like very much. This is all loosely tied together with stand-up segments that are all very strong.

Then starting with the second season, things get darker. More serious. The episodes feel completely different, and are less full of jokes. And a few episodes in you start wondering, "when is it getting really funny again?". It isn't. I mean, there are still jokes, and funny moments, but the series, starting from the second season, is more of a dramedy than a comedy. And at this point you're either intrigued by the stories and thematics and keep watching, or you get bored and stop. I kept watching, and it was worth it, even though the first season, in my humble opinion, is still far superior.

I recommend watching the first season, then a couple of episodes in the second season decide whether you want to keep going or not.

In the end: Season 1: 10/10 Seasons 2 & 3: 7/10

If you don't mind heavy material, "Louie" is quite possibly the best comedy on TV right now

Author: Chris Mizerak
15 February 2014

Remember how the TV sitcom "Seinfeld" was considered a landmark because it was "a show about nothing" (or in other words, a show about the little things in life and how a comedian gets his material)? You know how in one episode of that show, George Costanza proposes the idea of a show about nothing in which solely consists of a person doing their regular daily routine (whether it be eating their meal, walking to work, doing their jobs, etc.)? Well, it seems that we've not only received this type of TV show a little more than a decade after "Seinfeld" ran its course, but we've also received a show that's practically like "Seinfeld" only with a much darker tone to it. This show is none other than FX's daring, thoughtful, and hilarious original comedy-drama series, "Louie".

Like "Seinfeld", "Louie" centers on a fictionalized version of a popular comedian which in this case is Louis C.K. He is a recently divorced father who has to raise his two daughters in New York City. The show, as stated before, basically consists of unconnected story lines and segments that revolve around Louie's daily life tied in with his stand-up performances. In other words, the show tracks the unpredictably wacky events and people that Louie comes across on a daily basis that influence his stand-up bits. For example, one episode may consist of Louie traveling out of town for business. What might occur in that episode is Louie gets his plane ticket while someone else gets upset that their flight is cancelled, the plane flight gets out of control as if it's about to crash, and then the next scene everyone arrives safely. That's an example of what kind of episodes you can expect from this series.

When compared to its obvious comparisons "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm", "Louie" is a very dark show when you think about it. Although they are generally light, "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" have dark elements in some of their episodes from time to time. "Louie" on the other hand, my goodness! This show deals with some pretty heavy stuff hence why I implied that this is a comedy-drama series. Where do I start? There's an episode where Louie confesses to his mom that he doesn't love her anymore, an episode where Louie reflects on how unpleasant Catholic school was for him, and even an episode where a girlfriend Louie makes collapses and then dies on New Year's Eve. Ha-ha- ha? In less mature hands, subject matter like this in a comedic television series would fall flat. But miraculously, Louis C.K. hits just the right comedic note between the light and the dark stuff that it fits.

It helps that our main character is already a sad sack with his divorce and his other various broken relationships. What's interesting about him is that he somehow finds an easy way to be satisfied with life. "You just have to want a really s***ty body", he says in regards to how he keeps being satisfied with his health. Pretty brutal honesty there, isn't it? But let's face it, there's definitely some truth to whatever he says especially when it's similarly harsh stuff like that. Life does work or fail to work in mysterious ways for all of us, Louie included. One of the best parts about "Louie" for me is its profoundly honest ideas about life. After seeing an episode of this show, one can better understand how challenging dating women really is. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if some people decided they will permanently remain single after seeing this show. The reason is that dating is more punishing with its failures than it is rewarding with its successes, especially considering there's more failures than successes with dating.

The show does a fantastic job at avoiding predictability and overused formulas with each and every episode. I love it when a TV series does that since it shows ambition from the writers and shows that the creators want to try many different things with their characters. Even if not every episode in this series works (particularly when it involves one too many excremental/ sex joke or awkward situation), you have to at least respect the effort and genuine thought that was put into the rest of the series. I love the episode when Louie is offered the opportunity to replace David Letterman on the Late Show. On top of the clever comedy involving the boss's broad directions to Louie, the ending stays true to the tone established by this series. That tone being dream-crushing and reassuring both at the same time.

It's not every day a comedy-drama TV series like "Louie" is on the air and I'm all the more grateful for its existence. I admire how it takes a concept similar to "Seinfeld" and makes it its own unique thing. The central character is one I think many lonely single men will immediately be able to relate to. Most of the jokes hit their targets and are very well timed. When the show gets into dark territory, it doesn't shy away from the brutality of the darkness but it also manages to balance out the lightness really well. I honestly think that it's probably the best comedic series on television right now. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd easily watch this over every other comedic series currently on the air. While it's far from cheery and fluffy, I can't deny a well put together show when I see one.

Louie (Fox) - Review

Author: Mouth Box (mail@mouthbox.co.uk) from United Kingdom
8 February 2013

The more television comedy I write about, the harder it is to make me laugh. I seem to have almost become desensitised to mirth – far more likely to quietly and coldly utter, "That's funny," under my breath, than to clutch my belly and guffaw. But I have recently discovered an American stand-up comedian who makes me laugh out loud, consistently and uncontrollably, every single time I watch his show.

It has taken a while for Emmy Award-winning Louie CK (Comedy Central) to establish himself on this side of the Atlantic, and I only wish it had happened sooner. Part stand-up show, part semi-improvised sitcom, this is a quite remarkable series, made even more remarkable when you learn that Louie not only writes, performs and produces this show himself, he also directs it and edits it as well.

Louie CK shouldn't be anywhere near as funny as it is. It covers all the usual barn-door stand-up subjects that we're painfully familiar with: Sex, death, divorce. Jewish Manhattan angst. Seinfeld was churning this stuff out twenty five years ago, and by now it should feel stale and repetitious.

But there's something about the way Louie CK does it that makes you feel like you're watching stand-up comedy for the first time in your life. Because Louie takes honesty to the next level.

It boils down to this: Here's a 45-year-old, divorced white guy with two kids, who knows that pretty soon he is going to grow old and die. There's no escaping it. You can wrap it up however you want but soon we'll all be in a box. Which isn't funny. That's why it's funny.

Louie knows that everything he holds dear is going to decay and fall apart – that the Universe, second by second, minute by minute, is returning to the dark, brutal, miserable, bleak chaos from which it evolved. Which is a truly terrible thought. But when Louis talks about it, it somehow it makes you feel glad to be alive.

Your darkest thoughts and worst fears seem less frightening when some middle-aged, ginger schmuck in a T-shirt pitches up in a basement in New York City, and shares them with a room full of fellow human beings. This is comedy that is worse than self-depreciating. It is self-annihilating.

Humour that ploughs the very depths of the human condition. Everyman comedy that goes right ahead and lays it on the line for every man, woman and beast on this planet, with a clear, central core message that is quite simply this: "We are all screwed. Enjoy."

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but this guy is as good as Bill Hicks. For all the same reasons. And there's a bonus: Louie is still alive. At least for a while.

This week's episode featured a guest appearance from Ricky Gervais as our hero's wise-cracking doctor – a man who's idea of a joke is to tell you that you've got Aids, then say he's only joking, you don't really have Aids. You have cancer.

Gervais has struggled to make me laugh since the heady days of The Office, but his performance in this episode was quite inspired – almost as if Louie has the magical ability to make the people around him as funny as he is.

Louie CK is not for the faint-hearted. If you're easily shocked or you don't get vicious, gut-wrenching post-modern comedy then give it a miss. But if you're a living, breathing human being with a half-decent IQ, check out Louie CK. It's almost worth staying alive for.

More TV reviews at Mouthbox.co.uk

Possibly the Next Great Show

Author: NJS
30 July 2011

In a nutshell....It can be as funny and uncomfortable as Curb Your Enthusiasm, and maybe even more so. The big difference is that the show is heartfelt. Louie has a soul but his life sucks!

I enjoy the reflections of Louie's childhood and how it impacts his adult life. Louis C.K.'s stand-up comedy is also shown throughout each episode. The show is filmed in sepia/dark tone so it has a somewhat depressing feel, which fits in with Louie's life. If you're expecting a lighthearted, silly show, you may be disappointed. It delves into some uncomfortable topics at times, but, it's always a topic worth considering. Louie is a very funny show and I find myself wanting more! Louis C.K.'s comedy is so true to life. Overall, a great show! I've loved every episode!

Thought-provoking comedy at its best

Author: Stefan Gardovic from Sweden
15 March 2015

A brilliant and fascinating glimpse into the mind of comedian Louis C.K. who directs, writes, edits and stars in the show.

The show touches on a wide variety of subjects, everything from same sex marriage and raising children to God (with the occasional fart joke thrown in there for good measure). Louis invites us to his absurd and alienating world and the result is surprisingly relatable.

C.K. manages to create the funniest show out there and he does so without the use of sit- com-esq punch-lines instead he does it by tackling what makes him (and us all) uncomfortable with brutal honesty.

Louie is a thought-provoking show constantly addressing new issues in unorthodox and interesting ways and never fails to make me laugh.

Disturbingly funny for all the wrong reasons

Author: Trav Carmody from Horsham, Vic, AU
3 February 2014

The reason I say that is because quite often you'll be laughing at this amazing show and suddenly reason you really shouldn't be laughing at something so wrong. That said, this is an incredibly good show.

Louis CK is probably one of the best, funniest and most talented comedians working today, along with Ricky Gervais (who has an hilarious cameo by the way), and if you're a fan, this will not disappoint.

Usually amusingly awkward and strange, often laugh out loud funny, Louie is a masterpiece of modern comedy. And while dealing with sometimes serious problems many of us have, Louie CK manages to find the awkward comedy in all of it.

If you're a fan of Louie CK, or even if you are not but like dark comedies, definitely check this out. Just one quick warning to newcomers, if you're easily offended, avoid this like the plague, hahaha.

What a gem

Author: bechbo from Germany
6 June 2015

At first it looked a bit muddy, but when I looked closer I saw a sparkling gem. So different to the usual comedy formula, but so real, so human, so "from the heart", so good for the soul that you wonder why not more TV shows take those roads. After watching Louie I feel grounded and elevated at the same time. You have to watch at least two episodes, the pilot was the weakest of the six episodes I have watched so far. It gets better every episode, or maybe it is just me tuning in easier each episode. It feels a bit like when I discovered Woody Allen in my teenage days back in the 70s. So bad we have nothing like this in Germany.

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]