IMDb > "Louie" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Chappy Watched: Louie - Season One

Author: Chappy Watched from Australia
7 May 2016

I watched three Louie CK stand ups in a row as soon as I got Netflix and I loved them.

For quite sometime, I've been interested in Louie and that just grew when I watched his live shows so I finally got around to watching the TV show.

Wow. I'm actually very disappointed.

I really wanted to like it but I am bored sh*tless watching this.

There are barely any laughs in both the drama side and the comedy side, though I do prefer the stand up segments more than the drama part of the show.

I think I'll just stick to his stand up shows.

Too vulgar and monotonous by far

Author: Michael Pless (michaelrpless@gmail.com) from Melbourne, Australia
27 August 2013

I read many of the reviews and so tried to watch this. After seven episodes I can no longer continue. It is just not funny, a major failing in this genre.

I don't mind the occasional sexual joke, but for them to be the sole source of attempted humor, I just gave up. I don't think endless references to vaginas (vaginae?) are in any way clever or fresh. It isn't a word that comes up commonly in mixed conversation, so I guess Louie was trying for shock value, but this would have limited attraction to anyone not brain-dead.

In one episode Louie, in his stand up act verbally abused an audience member in a particularly coarse manner. True, this was part of the act and the show, but it was too extreme. In terms of observational humor, Jerry Seinfeld was masterful and managed it without excessive mentioning of his or anyone else's genitals. Billy Connolly did a hilarious act where he discussed his genitals, and I'd encourage the shows writers to observe and perhaps take note of how a professional works.

Quite simply, if you like your humor to be witty and intelligent, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Comedic mastermind

Author: Leonardo DiSalvatore
26 May 2017

In a nutshell....It can be as funny and uncomfortable as Curb Your Enthusiasm, and maybe even more so. The big difference is that the show is heartfelt. Louie has a soul but his life sucks! Louis C.K.'s stand-up comedy is also shown throughout each episode. The show is filmed in sepia/dark tone so it has a somewhat depressing feel, which fits in with Louie's life. If you're expecting a lighthearted, silly show, you may be disappointed. It delves into some uncomfortable topics at times, but, it's always a topic worth considering. It remains as comically fresh and no-holds-barred as prior seasons were. As far as I'm concerned, Louie C.K. is this generation's George Carlin. Whereas Jerry Seinfeld points out the comic infrastructure of every potential situation, Louie shows us parts of ourselves we'd rather not look at. (Consider Vanessa's speech on fat women.) George Carlin made us blush (and made history) with "the seven words" -- Louie's observations make that bit seem tame by comparison. But that's Louie. Louie is about life. And sometimes life is messy. He makes us laugh about it. He embodies the mans mans and the comics comic! I can relate to him on so many levels in this series and this series is without a doubt terrain of, rather than comedy or drama or simply dramedy, it's simply life! Don't underestimate this man because you see him on stage with a mic with such offensive vulgarity to some. This man is a genius and makes very heavy emotional episodes that have very deep meaning. he injects a soul into this series that has such a pulse and it beats with a rare brilliance! This series is the best dramedy I've ever seen!

definitely funny show but portrays Louie as two different characters

Author: lexob9
24 March 2017

one character is stand up guy(which is best part of show) who is witty and smart and second one is when he goes off stage and becomes total looser. there is no chance that smart guy like that can be such looser in real life. this is only coming from first several episodes so maybe that changes and i hope i didn't spoil anyone. checked spoilers checkbox just in case(cause warnings where pretty serious) and i also wanted to get to minimal lines by writing this, its my first review

Pleasantly surprised

Author: Peter Dee from Sydney, Australia
19 February 2017

Wow! I just accidentally stumbled onto this show the other night and binged a few episodes to find that it is really good... like, REALLY good.

Funny, well-scripted and I can't wait to watch the whole thing from episode 1.

I over think this show too much

Author: kallam-reid from Australia
21 April 2014

Over thinking this show is the hidden gem behind this show,that's if you watch his amazing stand comedy you understand where he stands as a comedian. after being a fan of that for a while and watching that show i think too deeply into the segments and i hope that's a hidden message in the show and the point of the show that their is a causal audience who can appreciate Louis CK and can get on his wave link.but in saying that their is a massive gain or even more for anyone who is deeply into Louis CK's stand up comedy. you feel a deeper thought pattern into every joke and segment of the show. which alone has made this TV show even more enjoyable. I've re-watched episodes that didn't make complete sense to me straight away over again and some of them have a lot more deeper thought.

Like the episode in Season 2 ep9 that episode feature a guy who many fans of Louis CK's comedy love in Doug Stanhope and that episode felt like a legit interaction between friends who have been on the comedy circuit for years and one of them is just as good just not as successful and that feeling came to me. its almost contrasting styles and its almost Louie CK respecting Doug Stanhope by putting him in the episode and telling his story through his hit show.

More Drama than Comedy

Author: remivocali from United States
13 May 2014

Let me start off by saying that this is by far the best show Louie CK has ever done. Louie CK is even quite possibly the best working stand up in the business these days. His stand up specials consistently leave me on the verge of tears from the unrelenting laughter he brings forth.

That being said, this show just isn't very funny...at all. This show is a drama disguised as a comedy. It's probably the most realistic portrayal of the life of a stand up ever shown on television (Sorry Seinfeld) but unfortunately most comedians are depressed, lonely individuals, who really only bring out the laughs when they're up on stage. That's what this show is. from the melancholy music, to the constant suicidal overtones, one would be hard pressed to find anything to laugh at in this show. The themes are dark and pessimistic.

The show is supremely well done but I guess I just prefer the laughter to the sadness presented on a weekly basis.

If you like Seinfeld, this is for you, if you don't...

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
18 May 2014

OK...I finally decided to give this show a go at the start of the 4th season, based on the high critical acclaim it has received. The nicest thing I can say about this series is that it is basically an homage to Seinfeld, complete with stand-up riffs to open and close the show. And I hated the Seinfeld show, although most think it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. So there you go. The show has completely unrealistic plots with unrealistic characters, and worst of all, isn't funny at all. I watched the first two episodes of season #4. In the first episode Charles Grodin plays a doctor, and I think the segment was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. In the second episode, Seinfeld himself is in this one, and at the end, Louis is supposed to be paying a rich couple $5,000 a month for injuring their model/daughter. It was just ridiculous. I was waiting for the Seinfeld music in-between the scenes to play.

Not funny at all.

Author: OtwoD from Butt Town
10 May 2017

I have always been a big fan of Louis C.K., which is why I put off watching this and Lucky Louie for so long.I have seen enough bad TV to know that most stand-up comedians do terrible sitcoms and I hate to be disappointed.Wouldn't you know it, this may be the worst TV show a comedian has ever done.It makes Ellen look like comedy gold.I really don't understand how this show is so popular.Even if you aren't looking for laughs, this show has nothing to offer.Just a sad old man wandering the streets and being a bad father.It's not entertaining at all.Maybe C.K. means Comedy Killer?If you feel the urge to watch this crap go watch Lucky Louie instead.That was a real TV show.

I love Louie CK, but his show misses the mark

Author: Jordan Satmary (MrSatmary@yahoo.com) from United States
5 October 2013

Louie CK has got to be my favorite comedian, by far. His narcissistic talk about every day experiences is relatable and always spot on.

However, "Louie" does not make me laugh as much as I'd hope. I can understand the basic idea, this is what a comedian's life is actually like. I've seen every episode up to the end of season 3 and I can say that for 80% of them I'm left disappointed. It's as if they're leading up to a climax of some sort, and then it just ends.

The direction and beats always seem off, except when Louie is doing his stand up which always seems to bring the show out of the gutter. The cinematography is like a beginner student film and if it's that way on purpose, I don't see why because it really isn't pretty to look at.

I think this show COULD be great, but unfortunately it is not.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]