IMDb > "Louie" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

It's going downhill

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
20 February 2015

First of all let me say that Louie C.K. is an excellent comedian. It's never easy for a stand-up comedian to get full attention of the whole audience but he manages to get it easily. The two little girls, Hadley Delany and Ursula Parker, that play his daughters Lilly and Jane are very good as well. Especially the youngest one Jane. The first season was to me the best one with a lot of humor on day to day topics. The second and third season are good as well but with fewer jokes but still it is enjoyable to watch. But with the fourth season I don't know where he is going. It's less funny and I really hope he gets back like the first season otherwise I might just skip watching it.

Chappy Watched: Louie - Season One

Author: Chappy Watched from Australia
7 May 2016

I watched three Louie CK stand ups in a row as soon as I got Netflix and I loved them.

For quite sometime, I've been interested in Louie and that just grew when I watched his live shows so I finally got around to watching the TV show.

Wow. I'm actually very disappointed.

I really wanted to like it but I am bored sh*tless watching this.

There are barely any laughs in both the drama side and the comedy side, though I do prefer the stand up segments more than the drama part of the show.

I think I'll just stick to his stand up shows.

From Love to Hate

Author: Goalie Dave from Canada
4 May 2015

I have never before gone from loving a show to so completely hating it. After the first 3 seasons I was really looking forward to season 4. After season 4 I was disappointed but then I thought - everyone's entitled to an off show or an off season. So when season 5 came along I thought that I would give Louie another chance. But after watching season 5 episode 1 I am done with Louie. Firstly this is not a comedy - that's okay but people should know that going in. It's not only not a comedy it's downright depressing. Every episode seems to be an excuse to portray how twisted Louie's experience with other people, especially women is. There is not one likable character in Louie including Louie himself. They're not even particularly interesting people because I simply can't relate to these repressed, narcissistic New Yorkers. And this is all coming from a guy who loves Louis CK's stand up, his interviews on Stern and the first 3 seasons of Louie. I would watch S5E2 but I have no hope that this gets any better and I just can't bear the thought of spending 22 more minutes inside Louie's sick, sad mind.

Pleasantly surprised

Author: Peter Dee from Sydney, Australia
19 February 2017

Wow! I just accidentally stumbled onto this show the other night and binged a few episodes to find that it is really good... like, REALLY good.

Funny, well-scripted and I can't wait to watch the whole thing from episode 1.

I over think this show too much

Author: kallam-reid from Australia
21 April 2014

Over thinking this show is the hidden gem behind this show,that's if you watch his amazing stand comedy you understand where he stands as a comedian. after being a fan of that for a while and watching that show i think too deeply into the segments and i hope that's a hidden message in the show and the point of the show that their is a causal audience who can appreciate Louis CK and can get on his wave link.but in saying that their is a massive gain or even more for anyone who is deeply into Louis CK's stand up comedy. you feel a deeper thought pattern into every joke and segment of the show. which alone has made this TV show even more enjoyable. I've re-watched episodes that didn't make complete sense to me straight away over again and some of them have a lot more deeper thought.

Like the episode in Season 2 ep9 that episode feature a guy who many fans of Louis CK's comedy love in Doug Stanhope and that episode felt like a legit interaction between friends who have been on the comedy circuit for years and one of them is just as good just not as successful and that feeling came to me. its almost contrasting styles and its almost Louie CK respecting Doug Stanhope by putting him in the episode and telling his story through his hit show.

More Drama than Comedy

Author: remivocali from United States
13 May 2014

Let me start off by saying that this is by far the best show Louie CK has ever done. Louie CK is even quite possibly the best working stand up in the business these days. His stand up specials consistently leave me on the verge of tears from the unrelenting laughter he brings forth.

That being said, this show just isn't very funny...at all. This show is a drama disguised as a comedy. It's probably the most realistic portrayal of the life of a stand up ever shown on television (Sorry Seinfeld) but unfortunately most comedians are depressed, lonely individuals, who really only bring out the laughs when they're up on stage. That's what this show is. from the melancholy music, to the constant suicidal overtones, one would be hard pressed to find anything to laugh at in this show. The themes are dark and pessimistic.

The show is supremely well done but I guess I just prefer the laughter to the sadness presented on a weekly basis.

If you like Seinfeld, this is for you, if you don't...

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
18 May 2014

OK...I finally decided to give this show a go at the start of the 4th season, based on the high critical acclaim it has received. The nicest thing I can say about this series is that it is basically an homage to Seinfeld, complete with stand-up riffs to open and close the show. And I hated the Seinfeld show, although most think it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time. So there you go. The show has completely unrealistic plots with unrealistic characters, and worst of all, isn't funny at all. I watched the first two episodes of season #4. In the first episode Charles Grodin plays a doctor, and I think the segment was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. In the second episode, Seinfeld himself is in this one, and at the end, Louis is supposed to be paying a rich couple $5,000 a month for injuring their model/daughter. It was just ridiculous. I was waiting for the Seinfeld music in-between the scenes to play.

Too vulgar and monotonous by far

Author: Michael Pless (michaelrpless@gmail.com) from Melbourne, Australia
27 August 2013

I read many of the reviews and so tried to watch this. After seven episodes I can no longer continue. It is just not funny, a major failing in this genre.

I don't mind the occasional sexual joke, but for them to be the sole source of attempted humor, I just gave up. I don't think endless references to vaginas (vaginae?) are in any way clever or fresh. It isn't a word that comes up commonly in mixed conversation, so I guess Louie was trying for shock value, but this would have limited attraction to anyone not brain-dead.

In one episode Louie, in his stand up act verbally abused an audience member in a particularly coarse manner. True, this was part of the act and the show, but it was too extreme. In terms of observational humor, Jerry Seinfeld was masterful and managed it without excessive mentioning of his or anyone else's genitals. Billy Connolly did a hilarious act where he discussed his genitals, and I'd encourage the shows writers to observe and perhaps take note of how a professional works.

Quite simply, if you like your humor to be witty and intelligent, you'll have to look elsewhere.

We've got to go

Author: WrathChld from United States
7 October 2016

I recently watched the entire series, but prior to that I had little to no real background on Louis CK. I found the show was similar to that of Seinfeld as it focused on the comedians real life as opposed to just playing a character on a show. In both cases its about the comedian and there day to day life. While Louis CK basically plays himself, he is really playing a version of himself. I found the show quite funny and it made me wonder how close to the character of Louie is Louis CK. I also wondered why I didn't know more about him before watching this show. I use to see him and thought he was some old man, but he is like 10 years older than I am. I feel we see a better version of the stand up comedian life than was portrayed in Seinfeld. Hell, even good old Jerry Seinfeld made a couple of appearances. Although in great Louis CK fashion, Louie was a disappointment to someone else. If you would compare the two, Jerry is a clean comedian and Louis is much more raunchy. I haven't seen enough of his stand up act to say he is raunchy like an Eddie Murphy, but he certainly talks about sex and masturbation a lot. Unlike Louie the Character, Louis CK is more than successful as a stand up comedian and actor/writer/producer. He has certainly made millions and he did make one hell of a show.

A show about you and me

Author: dkshkndpal from India
11 September 2016

I've been sitting here trying to come up with a word that best describes 'Louie' and 'honest' is the best I could do. This show is a comedian's life for all to see and it's surprisingly not that different from yours and mine. I never thought that the life of a simple unremarkable man could be so engaging and funny when seen from different eyes. I guess the thing I liked the most about the show is how it doesn't try too hard. It doesn't try too hard to make you laugh or to rope you in. It's like an art in the museum that speaks to you even though it doesn't and you get sucked in. The show's just there and you just keep watching it and a few episodes in, you'll say to yourself "yeah man, that's so true" and it'll probably hit you then what a masterpiece Louis C K has created. Louie is like a painting without all the artsy paraphernalia. It's like a perfect stroke of single colour (life) by an anonymous artist. So, if you're looking for a show that'll make you laugh your eyes out or a show full of witty one liners, this is not for you. It's for the people who rejoice in simple things and don't mind admitting that you've no control over your life but still strive hard to be better at their jobs, at being a better father, a better friend. To me the show says "this is my life and this is how I go about it" and that's it. It doesn't preach you about living your life a certain way, to start eating healthy, to hit the gym, to do your chores and embrace all your duties happily. It's just a show about a man and I hardly think it's important that he's a comedian, living his life. I am going to go ahead and call 'Louie' the best depiction of life. If somebody asked me "what is life?" I would hand them the DVD set of this show as an answer. 'Louie' reminds me a lot of Woody Allen's movies and it's because there's a common thread,' New York'. Now, I am not an American and have never been to the States but from what I've seen in the movies it's pretty evident that people from New York truly love it there. The romanticism that Woody Allen shares with New York was pretty evident in his movies and I think it holds true for Louie too. The show is shot beautifully and you get to see why it is that this city has captured the hearts of so many people All in all, 'Louie' is a great show and I can't recommend it enough. So, if you are alive and healthy watch it.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]