IMDb > "Strike Back" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Strike Back"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Strike Back" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Come on Sky! Give us another series!

Author: jaydall from United Kingdom
20 May 2010

Everyone in my family, of both sexes, really enjoyed this. We found it the most entertaining show we have seen in a long while. Production values were very high, the cast were all outstanding and the scenery was magnificent. I felt really pleased that the Brits could pull off something like this with panache.

Although some might consider the story-line a bit clichéd, we all sat on the edge of our seats and couldn't wait to see the next episode. So they must have been doing something right. I think that you need to see all 6 episodes before passing judgement because there is a very good over-arcing story that runs throughout. The resolution of this plot-line was not only very exciting but also very moving. Well done, Richard Armitage and Andrew Lincoln! You were both magnificent in that final scene.

These two actors were outstanding throughout. Lincoln held my attention as the man with a secret and Armitage, who seemed to appear in practically every scene, was a superb hero; he was the perfect choice for John Porter. The supporting actors were also wonderful. We particularly enjoyed Orla Brady as the hostage in episodes 1 & 2, Shaun Parkes as the imprisoned SAS man in episodes 3 & 4 and Ewen Bremner as the bi-polar technical geek in episodes 5 & 6. Armitage played out some wonderful tender/macho/funny scenes with all of them. Back in the office, Jodhi May also had impact as the gutsy operative determined to get to the truth.

I loved everything about this production including the beautiful African scenery and the pounding music. The final episode finished on a cliff-hanger. PLEASE, Sky, don't abandon John Porter in the desert. Give us another series - he's too good a character to waste.

Action/Adventure UK Style

Author: ldgunk from United States
20 May 2010

Looking for a hero? Well Sky 1 served up a good one with John Porter (Richard Armitage).

This series has six 45 minute episodes which equates to actually three films. Sky 1 decided to bundle two episodes and so they ran the series over three weeks. Each film has its own flavor.

Situated in Iraq, the first sets up the main characters with lots of tension and action enough to satisfy. There is a damsel in distress (nice performance by Orla Brady),some mystery, tension between characters (Andrew Lincoln does a nice job as Porters nemesis & boss, Collinson), two rescue plots and lots of action. Oh, and lets not forget the smell of betrayal in the air. It ends with a cliff hanger.

Second two episodes involve Porter rescuing (if that is what you call it) an exSAS operative and it becomes like a 'buddy' movie. There is an unsuccessful assassination attempt,prison cock fights, nuns in trouble, kids in trouble, a jump off a cliff, and plenty of our Hero doing what he does best - thinking and acting his way out of impossibly tough situations. Armitage & Shaun Parks are great together. Cliff hanger again. You'll be anxious to see the next story.

The Third episode is much more intense than the first two - more action, more head count, more explosions, more blood and tension plus more close ups. Porter is sent into Afghanistan to extract a renegade computer geek - This episode has a few funny moments, the computer geek played by Ewen Bremner is really fun to watch and beware of the veiled ladies! O, did I mention we have the CIA with their nose in the plot and Porter is protected by the two ladies of Section 20 Layla & Danni (Jodhi May and Shelley Conn turn in nice solid performances also) This film really showcases what an amazing actor Armitage is and what a nice performance in this episode by Lincoln. The ending is really tops.

So to recap Exciting new Hero in three films 1. Fast, 2. Faster & 3. Fastest... you'll really enjoy every minute and wish for more...

Very well made 6 parter

Author: m_hendrick from Changchun, China
18 May 2010

It kept me wanting more and I cared about the characters. It always amazes me how they get these productions to look so authentic. I will certainly recommend it to my friends. I gave it a 10 because it kept me engrossed and I couldn't wait for the next episode.

It's violent, contains scenes of torture and mutilation though you don't actually see it. So it handles this part well as I am amazed that the current 24 (9) shows Jack brutally torturing someone - it has gone OTT as far as I'm concerned. This show deals with it correctly as it needs to be in it to tell the story.

So I highly recommend it.

Strike Back

Author: cdorreap from United States
20 May 2010

I completely enjoyed watching all episodes of Strike Back. It is very deserving of all the publicity that was given to it.It was a little slow to start in episode 1 as it laid down the story line, but still kept my interest. I would not want to miss out on the rest of the great episodes just because of that. It definitely had my heart pounding with the fast paced action as the story developed. All the actors are outstanding, but Richard Armitage is completely magnificent! The range of emotions he delivers in each scene is astounding! I do hope that the producers decide to continue with the series. The ending leaves that option open. I will absolutely be watching it that happens!

Extremely violent version of a "24"type TV show

Author: (dunsuls@hotmail.com) from Round Rock Texas
4 September 2012

Extremely violent version of a "24"type show with much better locations and modern effect as it is about covert UK military operations and all THAT entails rather than homeland type US security.I'm HOOKED.It's basically about a special branch called "section 20"which travels all over the world in search of terrorists and weapons of mass distraction.It has its "secrets""double crosses"and other intrigue that the hugely popular series "24" had but MUCH more violent and action packed and I saw it on cable TV cinemas. Now over 2 seasons and 14 episodes I like it much more than 24 but fans in the UK should understand that were it NOT for the HUGE success of 24,would there be a strike back series. It would be very hard to unravel the series many plots and sub plots but it revolves around Philip Winchester as Sgt. Michael Stonebridge,who is SAS trained and the main" in the field "operative and Sullivan Stapleton as Sgt. Damien Scott a disgraced former US Army Iraq war vet.There seemed to be a earlier 3 episodes that weren't shown here but may be available as a movie,but the 14 TV episodes so far are well worth it and they continue.Anyway,these 2 characters bond and have each others backs thru combat and intrigue and personnel crises.The FX work well and don't kill the acting and the"real time"satellite imagery views are fascinating.MUST SEE TV.

Fast paced sexy and entertaining.

Author: Appealgirl from United Kingdom
29 May 2010

OK so it's pretty much unbelievable, probably isn't half as good as the books (I wouldn't know I haven't read any of them), but if you want fast paced action with hot sexy actors then this is the one for you.

You shouldn't look too deeply, shouldn't really question much of what is going on and you really do need to suspend disbelief. But if you want something that entertains, provides lots of action, has a deep enough for what it is plot line then this is for you. It reminded me very much of Ultimate Force in the first couple of series. Richard Armitage is just too hot to handle and is credible as the tough, damaged (ex) SAS officer who just seems to keep coming back for more - plus he takes his shirt off a lot which for the shallow amongst us is a definite bonus. Great supporting cast including the fabulous Andrew Lincoln, gorgeous Shelley Conn(although I think she could have had more to do) and Jodhi May who's character is strong and definitely "kick ass".

I hope this manages to get a second series - not much on TV at the moment that both my husband and I can watch together but this certainly ticked that box.

It gets my vote from this side of the ocean

Author: smallrage1 from Canada
13 May 2010

After reading all 3 comments so far I can't understand why your complaining about clichés when many shows if not all use them but to hate a show based on them is nuts, especially after you watched 2 episodes. I have watch 4 episodes and yes there are still clichés but this show is far from bad if fact I find it rather entertaining.

Strike Back episodes so far have been action filled and like usual Richard Armitage doesn't disappoint us, this show is on equal footing with many great, TV shows such as Ultimate Force, The Unit and Over There. Which all should of never been cancelled in my opinion and have seen many shows "reality especially" that should be cancelled yet they continue to bore a good majority of people. If I had to choose this show up against any reality garbage out there this show would win hands down.

I not a huge fan of Chris Ryan novels and I have read a few and is a good writer but to be honest I prefer Andy McNab's work. I gave this show a 9 only because 1 person who wrote a comment under rated it because it deserves more than a 5 rating. It's well acted well written the only thing that is bad is that its only 6 episodes. I would of loved to see more than 6 episodes, and for those who have yet to see a single episode, yes I do recommend you watch it if your a action TV show fan.

Action and thrills movie style Armitage is fabulous

Author: nursekate from United Kingdom
20 May 2010

Sky spent a lot of time advertising this show and I have it certainly lived up to the trailers. The production values were excellent and the energy in all the scenes were brilliant.The script was tight and at times humorous.It was like Bond or Bourne for TV very superior in every way to Ultimate force.

Each two parter was linked by the Collinson/ Porter tension over what had happened in Basara 7 years before the story began.

Richard Armitage as John Porter was excellent it is hard to believe that this is the same actor who played John Thornton in North and South and Harry Kennedy in the Vicar of Dibley. He captured the dilemma of being a paid killer with the moral issues that raises quite brilliantly.The expression in his eyes and the inflection in his voice when he is telling Ewan Bremner the techno geek about how his daughter won't look him in his eyes because he was incorrectly accused of causing the deaths of his men was mesmerising. Richard Armitage is an actor who realises that you do not have to chew the scenery to convey depth of emotion.

Andrew Lincoln was also very good as Collinson the man who destroyed Porters life in a moment of cowardice. I am guessing that a lot of Chris Ryan fans will be disappointed that by confessing and sacrificing himself he earns redemption from Porter unlike the book where Porter gets his revenge.

Jodhi May really grew into the role of Layla and episode 6 was her strongest I loved how she kicked ass with Collinson.

Shelly Conn's character was great as the analyst but I disliked the honey trap element she could have just fancied Porter.

All the guest stars were wonderful and the chemistry between them and Richard Armitage was fabulous. So Kudos to them I would have like to have seen more of Poters home life as I felt this was rushed especially his wife's death Like other reviewers I hope this gets recommissioned.

A great (under appreciated) TV show.

Author: Wayne Curley from Ireland
13 August 2011

I cannot believe so many people hate or just dislike this TV show. In my opinion it is a great show brilliantly put together great cast and well written. Chris Ryan did a great job creating this TV show.

I have looked at a few reviews on this show one person said this should have more episode's i agree loads more episode's in my opinion, he/she also mentioned the fact other great TV shows like ultimate force and the unit etc shouldn't have been canceled, i disagree ultimate force should have been canceled it just wasn't exciting enough to watch the unit on the other hand was a brilliant TV show and shouldn't have been and strike back is also a brilliant TV show and i hope it stays on TV for years to come and become greatly popular because it deserves it.

So far I am enjoying it

Author: wgrant-128-214709 from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
29 December 2011

Its a bit unbelievable but mostly it delivers fast paced action and decent enough plots. I liked Armitage in this, and so far I have only seen the first 4 episodes of Season 1. Sorry to hear he leaves the series. While it may seem rather unbelievable at times, it has more attention to detail than most TV series with a military theme. I prefer this to any of the US TV shows I have seen recently, as its less over the top that most TV plots these days.

Its worth noting that the reason Armitage might have left the series is because hes playing Thorin Oakenshield in the Hobbit. That's gonna occupy his time for the next 2 years I expect.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]