IMDb > "Pawn Stars" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Pawn Stars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Pawn Stars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Highly entertaining show

Author: tradermike67 from United States
26 November 2009

To comment on classicalsteve from Oakland, CA's post. The most important point was, as with ANY business situation. : Do your homework on current market values! I don't think in the case of Pawn stars that these guys necessarily make an offer based on what YOU think you should get for it, but rather, what they think or know they can get for the item. No different than any other wholesale to retail business.

Although there are similarities to antique roadshow, these guys are offering INSTANT CASH in most cases. When they are unsure of an items value, they bring in experts in their field, and they do it while the customer is there. It is funny when the expert says an item is worth 3000 retail and then the customer expects 3000. As Rick says over and over, I can't stay in business paying retail.

As to Steve's comments on collectibles; I don't think they are making 10x what an item is worth. Anyone that stupid to sell so cheaply deserves to get hammered in my opinion. If you are a collector, then you should be doing your own homework on channels to sell through, and there are plenty of them. If you feel your best option is to sell to a pawn broker, then what would you be expecting? Steve, I'd like to know in your opinion, what exactly the value of "culture" is, as you state in your post. They are pawn brokers. That's what the show is about. Your post suggests that the SELLERS of the items are not interested in the money, which is clearly not the case. Every single person is most interested in what they can get for their item. And I also don't agree with your assessment of "the poor seller at their mercy due to lack of knowledge." Knowledge is something that can be acquired, and sellers should obviously have acquired some concerning their items value before entering the arena of buying and selling. Also how could they tell the buyer what they intend to resell the item for when they really never KNOW what they're going to get. Market forces are constantly at work. Personally I think you paint a picture here that these guys are crooks, when in reality, this is business as usual. Buy low, sell high. You are clearly not a businessman. The interaction between the characters is highly entertaining, and somewhat informative as well.

Mike

Very interesting and entertaining show

Author: johnmcneilva from United States
1 December 2009

I have just recently gotten into Pawn Stars and I find it to be a great mix of entertainment and history lessons. The main draw for me is the simple give and take that goes on between the Pawn Store operators and the people who bring items in looking to make quick money. Clearly the biggest draw for this show is Rick, the pawn store owner. Although his dad (the old man) and his son (big hoss) are big parts of the show, it is Rick who makes this show interesting and worthwhile. I don't think that Hollywood could have scripted someone who could make a pawn store owner a truly likable and complex individual. Rick manages to show interest and respect to every person who brings in something for sale while managing to explain his position in understandable terms. The bottom line is that a pawn shop is a place for people in need of quick cash to sell just about anything, just at bargain basement prices. If someone wants to get maximum money for their goods they would have to do market research, team up with a reputable auction house, or go on ebay and roll the dice that someone may make a high enough bid. Otherwise, you can go for the easy money of a pawn shop (albeit much less money.)

A couple of final notes about the characters on the show, as I stated earlier Rick is far and away the star of the show and he is really what makes it watchable. His father doesn't contribute a whole lot other than some standard old man talk. His son (Big Hoss) is pretty much a waste of space and contributes nothing to the show unless you like to watch a very (very) large person walking around in Ed Hardy jeans acting like some kind of tough guy. He is a very simple person, clearly having missed many of the complexities of human nature possessed by his father. Finally, Chumlee is one of the most enjoyable characters ever to grace television, the large man-child with a good heart and a simple mind. All in all I would definitely recommend watching this show to anyone.

"Rip-offs"?

Author: internationaldave from United States
21 April 2010

No, these men are not trying to "rip off" anybody. Having a pro come in and give a value is not a "rip off". They have to (I would think) pay the people that come in to evaluate an item. No one is forcing these sellers to go through with any deal. The Pawn Stars are there to make a profit/living. They are not going to pay $100 for an item valued at $100. Get it? Next time you watch the show, pay attention. They state over and over that they can't make a profit by paying what the item is valued at. They have to store it, clean it, move it, tag it etc. all involving labor. Labor is not free. I am a mechanic and I don't give MY labor away. You Pawn Star haters, get a life. 8/11: Update: The show is staged, also. Not quite real. Of course it is better than that Hard Core Pawn junk. THAT show is 100% fake. Every customer is a screaming, raving maniac? Not likely. I tried watching that one a few times, but, the staged bickering between family members got old quick. Pawn Stars is a pleasure to watch. Hard Core is an insult to my inellagance...intellerjents...intel...SMARTS!

Very entertaining

Author: welshNick from United Kingdom
29 December 2010

I enjoy this show. Although I think some of the situations are fairly obviously set up it provides good entertainment. Added to this it provides the viewer with an education of what certain things are worth and also how to spot a fake.

A lot of the stuff which comes in covers American History and it is always interesting to see the artifacts which have been dug out of people's lofts.

The interaction between the three generations of Harrisons along with the rather stupid Chumlee is always good for a laugh. Usually Chumlee messes something up each week ......

Who thought watching a pawn shop could be interesting?

Author: mysticnox from United States
23 February 2010

Hubby and I were looking for something on one night (lets face it, 500 channels and mostly nothing of worth on to watch) so we switched to this show out of boredom.

Honestly, its fascinating.

I LOVE this show.

The interaction between the owners and the workers is great to watch. Last night gave me a total laugh when the father said his son was too busy to ride the balloon and Chum was too stupid (and btw, he is. I swear the guys nearly mentally retarded, just not quite which only makes him stupid).

And the items that these guys pick up are just incredible. I'd LOVE to visit this store just once. They must have a treasure trove of museum quality items.

If I'm ever in Vegas, I'm heading to this shop.

Though I detest reality shows such as "Survivor" and its ilk I like the one's depicting people doing their job.

Author: Aaron1375
20 December 2010

I like reality shows about interesting people going about their daily routine especially when it too is interesting. This show revolves around a pawn shop in Las Vegas and there are apparently a lot of strange things that happen there so there are going to be some interesting things for people to want to sell. So we get to see during each episode some interesting stuff people bring in, some rare stuff, and some just plain strange things. You also get to see people haggle over price, people getting mad when they are told their stuff is not worth all that much money, and people get really happy as they find their stuff is worth a fortune. The show centers around a dad, his father and the son. It also has a guy called Chumlee who I just can not believe he is as stupid as he appears to be. All the guys are interesting, it is fun to watch when one of them buys something not worth anything and then the others pounce. The show is humorous to go along with seeing all the interesting things people bring in. Things that people have sold on the show include very rare coins, hot air balloons, numerous cars and a whole bunch of other stuff. Things they have not bought include a car that was obvious crap that the guy who was trying to sell it got ticked off when Rick (the dad) backed off after a person with mechanical experience looked at it. All in all a fun show to watch.

It's history and educational!

Author: pale3208 from United States
24 May 2010

Love it! Basically, it's entertaining, but my family always learns something. Regarding the comments about motive, everyone and anyone on the show is in it for a buck, including those selling items. As for what's on the show and it being hand-picked. Of course it is. No, we don't want to see the everyday stuff. It's the History Channel for goodness sake. We want to learn, to see unique items -- items we might not otherwise know about or experience. Loved the stamp as currency. Who knew!! That's what it's all about. The audience wants to soak up history! Just enjoy the show for what it is. Love all the characters, too, esp. Chum and Rick. If I ever make it to Vegas, the pawn shop is on my list of must-sees! A

Went downhill

Author: SanteeFats from United States
6 June 2013

I started watching this series from the git go. It was really good until this year (2013). I found the items that the people brought in to pawn or sell very interesting. I learned some very entertaining and even educational stuff at times. The give and take between the "stars" of the show was funny at times but I think it is now taking over the episodes. There is so much interaction with the big boys, both figuratively and literally, that the true purpose of the show is now secondary to the wise cracks, bitching about Chumlee, and watching the Old Man sleep. I used to have the DVR set to record the show but now I just don't watch it anymore.

A Worth While Program

Author: Chris from United States
28 September 2009

I enjoy this program. Every week we get a look into the world of not only pawn shops, but trivia on items we may never get a chance to see in real life.. I am not saying every item is worth it, but usually there are one or two that peak my interest. In regards to another comment on the show taking people for all they are worth and manipulating people, I do not believe that is the point of the show for two reasons. 1) The people are free to walk out without making a deal and 2) He tells people directly he is not a retail shop, auction, or collector and he has to make some money off of the item. Most people understand what pawn shops are for, and the customers do have the option of pawning (being able to get item back) or selling. I like the interaction between the semi-dysfuncional family and Chumlee who seems to be an adopted-like member. I would recommend this show if you want a humorous and informative way to pass the time.

Painfully fake

Author: Emmi Blad from Finland
27 June 2014

I was interested at first, but as I learned that the show is fake and uses actors and items that are from museums, I was set back. Also REAL customers have widely reported that the main characters are usually not there and show up only when the show's been shot.

For me, I am interested to see old items and learn their history, but this show is an anticlimax fest where almost non of the items are real or valuable or even rare. And using items from museums and private collections, it's just pathetic.

I don't like their attitudes and the show is overall sort of vaguely interesting, but its fakeness makes it difficult to watch.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]