IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" Definitions (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"How I Met Your Mother" Definitions (2009)

« Prev | 89 of 208 Episodes | Next »

Oh, boy...

Author: Gernot S. from Graz
23 September 2009

Every experienced watcher of TV shows knows this: You love a show - and you're afraid of when it's going down... because, usually, they do. Sooner or later, they all do.

There are sooo few exceptions of this rule. And HIMYM seems like one of these.

Holding up the VERY HIGH standards since '05. (...and vomit-free since'93!)

What I'm trying to say: Great episode! Great one, and I'm sure there won't be any let-downs in recent future.

Legendary!

Kick ass season premiere. That's all.

Author: guilherme-sm from Brazil
21 September 2009

The fifth season's premiere "definitions" is an awesome episode, for many reasons. The writers really are doing the best to keep Barney and Robin together without destroying their characteristics, and we're getting closer and closer to meet the mother. The episode follows the classic HIMYM style, we have multiple time lines, with flashbacks and stuff, and multiple plots. Even though there are more then one plot in this episode, the characters are not split like in previous episodes of the fourth season, and at least in my opinion Ted's plot is also very funny, but guys I've got to admit it, the best part of the episode is the Barney & Robin avoidance of the "talk". The reference to movies like Gremlins and Indiana Jones are small but they also kick ass. This is one of the things I most appreciate in How I Met Your Mother is the ability to make references to other works, fitting them perfectly on the jokes. I'm also happy that the time slot change, changed only the time slot, without all the censorship crap. So that's all, hope this season stay as good as it started.

A fine comeback with some funny jokes

Author: axel-koch from Austria
2 May 2013

In the overall 89th episode and the first one of the fifth season, we see some things changing in How I Met Your Mother. Narrator Ted finally decided to be a college professor and in his first lesson, he's already facing some major difficulties, . how many f's the word 'professor' has or if he should wear his newly gotten fedora. But bigger than that is the story part with Barney and Robin who've been sleeping with each other for quite a while and also have love-like feelings, yet are terribly afraid of any sort of commitment. To define their relationship, Lily forces them to have 'the talk'. I'd say this is a fine comeback for the highly successful sitcom and it provides what fans were looking forward to see. I thought there were many cheesy jokes and Neil Patrick Harris and Cobey Smulders didn't do well in their sort-of relationship. Still, it's better than most of the episodes in the disappointing season 4 because I really enjoyed how Ted was doing as a professor and there were some nice running gags in there. I thought it was great when future Ted just casually mentioned that the mother of his future children was sitting in his course and the scene at the end where Barney and Robin go to eat brunch and the rest of the group is looking at them was pretty awesome. All in all, "Definitions" is by far not a perfect episode, but surely an enjoyable and amusing one.LESS