IMDb > The Lego Movie (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Never Have I Been so Wrong About a Movie

Author: bkrauser-81-311064 from United States
12 February 2014

Like many of you, the first time I saw the trailer for The Lego Movie (2014) I thought to myself, "Are you kidding me?!" Yet another movie based on a franchise of toys aimed towards families willing to cough up the cash just to shut their kids up. Can't we for once make movies for kids that don't dull the senses? Have we truly come to the point where there are no original thoughts? Yet after seeing not just families but college kids' line up to see sold out viewings I became interested. In addition, The Lego Movie managed to muster a staggering 93% on rottentomatoes.com, an unheard of fresh score in the February film graveyard. In short; curiosity got the best of me.

Boy was I wrong about this film. I honestly couldn't have been more wrong about a film in my life. The Lego Movie is not only the must see film of the late winter season, I'm going to go ahead and call it now; it's the best family-oriented film for all ages of 2014. Okay maybe not but at the very least it's a very high bar to set.

The story busts out of the gate from the get-go; Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman) a wizard and "master builder", while protecting a mystery weapon is blinded by Lord Business (Will Ferrell), obviously our caped and big booted villain. Before Vitruvius is kicked into the abyss by Business and his robotic minions, he foretells of a hero, the "special" who will put an end to his dastardly plans, whatever they might be. The next morning Emmet a seemingly ordinary Lego construction worker goes about his normal day. He comes across a woman named Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks) searching for "the piece of resistance" which he unwittingly finds and becomes beholden to. Now it's up to Emmet and some newfound friends to fulfill the prophecy.

It all sounds like a scenario dreamed up by a child who's read one too many comic books. Yet within The Lego Movie's brick-blocked world, everything including the story feels incredibly new and original. Children, especially the young will enjoy the fast action, laugh-a-minute jokes, sly slapstick and goofy characters. Obvious kid favorites will include perma-smiled Unikitty (Alison Brie) and zany 80's throwback astronaut Benny (Charlie Day) whose ability to create spaceshifts is frustratingly overlooked. Plus there's Batman (Will Arnett)…Batman!

The older crowd however will be astounded not only with the seamless CGI effects but with the subversive element throughout the film. Yes a goofy, kiddy film of such unrestrained chirpiness can be positively incendiary, at least in this case. Throughout the film there are Orwellian elements tucked underneath crafty pop-culture references ranging from Star Wars (1977) to Harry Potter. There are mischievous pokes at what Henry David Thoreau referred to as "(leading) lives of quite desperation."

Finally there's cheeky satire aimed at the Danish toy brand itself. Much of the conflict revolves around "master builders" who build whatever they want out of the parts they find versus Lord Business who wants everything built "according to the directions." This particular theme struck the kid inside me as I was very fond of Legos. Younglings may not realize that back in the day, pre-designed Lego play sets took a back seat to the now impossible to find Lego Creative Bucket sets. To the uninitiated that particular red bucket set was an amalgam of potential foot sores but to this writer, those 200+ pieces were a gateway to an unlimited creative space.

The Lego Movie accurately and effectively recreates that creative space through accessible movie magic. It exhibits a fun hero story that may not be treading new narrative ground but nonetheless feels fresh and new. Finally the themes and occasionally biting humor makes The Lego Movie a kid's film that isn't just for kids but the child in all of us. This February do yourself a favor and treat yourself to an adventure story unlike any other. Then go home and order some Legos online! I know I am.

A reminder of how fun Lego can be.

Author: Cameras Lie from United Kingdom
6 February 2014

The stand out feature of the Lego Movie for me would be the way the Lego Universe was created. The movie paid great attention to detail making everything appear as it would made from Lego, including the water and clouds, and the surfaces people walked on all had the circles sticking upwards a Lego piece would have. Combined with all the yellow faces, and Lego part during building, I was convinced action took place in the Lego Universe.

A combination of adult and child friendly humour should entertain all, the movie has done well to ensure audiences of all ages are catered to.

The voice cast were excellent, especially Liam Neeson's split personality police officer, making the 2 personalities sound distinctive, and giving his Bad Cop the usual Liam Neeson tough guy.

The plot is about resisting an over-controlling ruler, highlighted by the name of the hero's "resistance piece". It is well thought through, well written, and revealing at the right times. Full of surprises, The Lego Movie won't let You see what's coming. Best animated film since Wreck it Ralph! Please let there be sequels.

An absolute must-see, consistently entertaining from start to finish.

Author: Brent Hankins from www.nerdrep.com
7 February 2014

Hollywood has a long history of taking beloved relics from our childhood and adapting them into big-screen entertainment, with the unfortunate truth being that the final product often bears little resemblance to the source material that our younger counterparts loved so much. Typically we're left with something that feels like a cheap, hollow cash-in (The Smurfs, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks), or a bloated, special effects-laden monstrosity full of explosions and poor acting (Battleship, Transformers, G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra). So it was with much trepidation that I sat down to watch The Lego Movie, steeling myself for an experience that would be little more than a two- hour commercial designed to drive traffic into the nearest toy store, coaxing money out of the wallets of parents and into the pockets of the Danish toy company. Instead, I was treated with one of the most original, creative and entertaining films I've seen in years, which has quickly cemented itself as the first must-see movie of 2014. Emmett (Chris Pratt) is a construction worker, obediently carrying out his daily duties in accordance with the instruction manual provided to all Lego citizens by President (Lord) Business (Will Ferrell), an obsessive compulsive, maniacal CEO bent on world domination. Think Lex Luthor, but as a complete control freak with less intelligence and more mustache-twirling insanity. A chance encounter with the beautiful WyldStyle (Elizabeth Banks) leads Emmett to the mythical Piece of Resistance, an ancient relic spoken of only in prophecy that can be used to save the Lego citizens from their impending doom. Wyldstyle quickly whisks Emmett away and brings him before the Master Builders, which include the sagelike Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), the manic 1980s astronaut Benny (Charlie Day), and WyldStyle's boyfriend, Batman (Will Arnett, in perhaps the film's most hilarious vocal performance). Together, the Master Builders formulate a plan to defeat Lord Business by infiltrating his massive high-rise fortress, using the Piece of Resistance to defeat him once and for all provided they can escape the clutches of the terrifying Good Cop/Bad Cop (Liam Neeson), Lord Business' most loyal henchman. From the opening moments of the film, The Lego Movie fires an endless array of jokes at its audience from seemingly every angle. Writers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (who also directed the film) have an expert grasp of the absurd, and they use it to great effect, ensuring that every scene is stuffed to the gills with laughs. Many of the film's best moments are derived from the fact that the characters, vehicles, and environments are created from Lego pieces: one of the rules established by the filmmakers was that everything appearing on screen must be possible to construct in the real world. There's an especially clever twist that occurs during the third act that, if attempted by less talented filmmakers, could've easily derailed the entire experience, but Lord and Miller's pitch-perfect execution makes it work. With lightning-fast wit, a surprising amount of action, and perhaps a bit of attention deficit disorder, The Lego Movie is consistently entertaining from start to finish. It's a brilliant mix of humor, heart, and creativity, and provides a great foundation to build on. Sorry, I couldn't resist at least one Lego-related pun. But seriously, The Lego Movie is fantastic. -- Brent Hankins

Childhood Awesomeness

Author: Juany from United States
7 February 2014

I was the only adult who didn't bring kids to the theater and all I can say is that I was leading the clapping when the credits rolled.

"The Lego Movie" was an awesome, super creative, and extremely satisfying film for all ages- that is, if you have ever played with Legos. Even people that have never bought a Lego set will this enjoy this awesomely humorous and in the end, heartfelt movie.

(Notice I am using the word awesome a lot, because one cannot stop singing the "Everything is awesome" song played in the movie. Too catchy!)

The creators did a wonderful job putting all the classic things about Legos and making a new movie packed with humor.

The voice actors were outstanding. You can tell they really enjoyed doing the movie and put in a lot of effort. Liam Neeson was fantastic as the Good Cop/Bad Cop. But the most credit to the success of this movie goes to Will Farrell who played the villain, President Business. He gives such a great effort in this movie which allows you to laugh, smile, and want more Lego awesomeness.

I give the Lego movie a big two thumbs up and is by far the best picture I've seen in a few months. Highly recommend this movie to all Lego lovers who have a passion to build and create something awesome, just like the movie makers created this amazingly, AWESOME, film.

The Lego Movie is a unique and very refreshing animated film!

Author: Bruno Youn from São Paulo, Brazil
7 February 2014

The Lego Movie is a winner on several levels. There is a good amount of clever gags and I was constantly bursting with laughter. I was surprised by how it contained so many memorable cameos, pop icons and film references, providing a strong nostalgia factor to older viewers. The playful approach towards movie clichés made it a really enjoyable and refreshing watch. The animation is absolutely stunning and the blend of CGI with stop motion worked brilliantly. Everything can be attachable, making the vibe of each scenario feel very unique and unlike anything you've ever seen. The Lego Movie has plenty of heart too by the end of the journey and it's going to be really tough for another animated film to surpass its inventiveness and charm.

Everything is indeed awesome

Author: Freak Idiot from Finland
11 March 2014

I'd be surprised if anyone saw this coming. The Lego Movie is quite simply unlike anything seen in a long while: rip-roaringly hilarious, gorgeous to look at, imaginative beyond belief, a great parody of worn out "chose one" clichés and also rather poignant and touching.

The first thing one has to mention is the animation. Not only does it look like an amateur stop-motion film with a $500 million budget, but the amount of detail and creativity put into the visuals is just staggering. At times there's so much going on the screen it's almost overwhelming, yet if you look closely you can see that every single thing is comprised of recognizable Lego parts. The various ways the world shifts, breaks, is constructed again, falls apart and moves around is simply a joy to watch. The implementation of real-world objects into the otherwise plastic world is certain to get huge laughs out of anyone, especially the revelation about the ominous superweapon "Kragle". The result is a film that looks unlike anything we've seen before.

The script is a roller-coaster ride of hilarious gag after another. The jokes come at you so fast you can't catch them all in one viewing, and blink-and-you'll-miss-it side gags clutter the screen. No running gag wears out its welcome, no joke is overplayed or overemphasised. The characters are all funny and likable with enough personality to them to fill up multiple movies on their own. Batman especially is a riotous parody of the grim, dark versions of the Caped Crusader we've been stuck with for nearly a decade. And due to Lego having rights for nearly every IP imaginable, you won't be able to guess which mega-franchise is going to turn up next.

Despite all this high praise, there are a couple of minor issues. During its third act the tone of the film starts moving to a more serious and emotional direction, which to me didn't work as well as the rapid fire comedy of the rest of the film. The voicework is great for the most part, but amidst all the others it becomes rather apparent that Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson are live, not voice actors. It's not that their performances are bad, they just seem rather flat and lifeless in comparison to the rest of the cast.

The Lego movie is a downright masterpiece, there's no two ways about it. Incredible visuals and animation combined with a hilarious script, dazzling creativity and good characters make it one of the best and most original animated films in a long time. Some minor hindrances can do very little to drag it down, and the end result is fantastic.

A wonderful piece of art.

Author: Ahan Penkar
7 February 2014

This is my first review. I never wrote a review because I felt other IMDb member had captured what I felt like saying. You may think it's a mistake to see this movie because it's just a "toy" movie. But that's what makes it so brilliant. There are so many well known characters throughout the film, and it's rare to see such great character development.

Even though there are so many it's really the charming Emmet (Chris Pratt) who steals the show.

It really was a LOT better than the previews made it seem. Charming from beginning to end, with a few surprises you won't expect. The less said, the better.

Strong story in a very creative way

Author: mutiaraherawati from Indonesia
4 March 2014

If you watch the trailer and you think its just gonna be a fun stop-motion animated Lego movie, you were wrong. The Lego Movie is beyond fun. its creative and it brings back a lot childhood memories. The story was amazing, the jokes were hilarious, and they have great intention in details.

But, the most important thing, the movie remind us to be creative. Because sometimes, As we grow up, in someway, we stop being creative and just follow the rules and instruction. For adults, this movie will bring back your childhood memories and how you used to play randomly with those Lego. And for a kids, you'll just love this movie, and definitely makes you want to play with your own Lego.

totally worth watching movie! even your grandparents will enjoy this movie! 9/10

Pass the Popcorn! review

Author: PassPopcorn from Osijek, Croatia
6 February 2014

To be honest when I first heard of 'The Lego Movie' I thought it to be a ridiculous idea and automatically dismissed it as something bad. However, when I gave it a second thought, I realized I kind of liked the idea. I mean, why not create a big budget movie that takes place inside the Lego universe? At least it's somewhat original (there have been previous Lego movies, but they were all direct-to-video, and from what I realize they are much different from this one). And in this age of spin-offs, remakes, prequels, etc. originality is more valuable than ever. Add to that the amazing cast in the movie, and I, for one, needed no more reasons to see this movie and I ultimately enjoyed it. The movie opens with the movie's villain, Lord Business (voiced by Will Ferrell), stealing a mysterious artifact called the 'Kragle' (I hope I've written it correctly) from a wizard named Vitruvius (voiced by Morgan Freeman), in order to destroy the Universe. During their encounter, Vitruvius tells of a prophecy about a Chosen one, who will find another mystical artifact, called 'The Resistance Piece' and will put an end to Business's mettle. 8 and a half years later, Lord Business's alter ego President Business is ruling the whole world in a sort of totalitarian way. We then meet the movie's protagonist, Emmet (voiced by Chris Pratt), who one day accidentally stumbles upon 'The Resistance Piece' and is thought to be the Chosen one by a group of Lego characters called the MasterBuilders. Despite the fact that The Lego Movie's plot summary may seem a bit complicated (and despite the fact that I hailed the movie's originality a moment ago), the movie is actually pretty predictable and formulaic. That isn't necessarily a bad thing actually, the movie has an explanation of some sort for why it is so predictable but the movie does get slightly tedious from time to time. The only other possible downsides to the movie besides that, are the movie's third act, which gets clingy in some parts, and some of the action scenes. I like how the animation is a combination of both stop motion and CGI, but this unusual style of animation may be hard to follow during a few action scenes and I fear this scenes might be even harder to follow if you decide to watch the movie in 3D. Nonetheless, all this downsides to the movie are easily overshadowed by its qualities. The movie's biggest quality is definitely that it is fun. The Lego Movie is a nostalgic look back at childhood and it helps to realize that our child games were often very silly, ridiculous, over the top and funny and in that way The Lego Movie could be better appreciated by adults than by children. Virtually almost every scene contains a silly joke or gag and I was constantly giggling throughout the whole movie. The Lego Movie easily succeeds in being a feel good, ridiculously entertaining movie that is worth your time. Moreover, another The Lego Movie's quality is that it has quite an impressive cast (Pratt, Ferrell, Banks, Day, Brie, Freeman, Hill, Neeson, Offerman, O'Neil, etc.), that portrays a bunch of very colorful and memorable characters. In short, if you are interested in watching a nostalgic throwback to your childhood or just want to watch a fun, feel-good movie, you mustn't skip The Lego Movie. Rating: 8/10

Just not for me.

Author: Leather-Rebeld- from Chile
10 February 2014

I go to see this movie with other four people, and neither of us like it. I was so disappointed, because the trailers make the movie seems like a really funny, unexpected and unique adventure. So, when I came home and know that have a 8.9 in IMDb is just make me feel worst.

In my case, the humor is not funny, is like they try so hard, the action scenes are to fast to really enjoy them and I found the plot no interesting at all. And the worst was the characters, which aside of Batman, were too plastic, predictable and just boring for my taste.

To me, this is just a huge commercial from Lego, but that's just me.

People really like this movie, and that's great! I'm happy that people can see thing in stuff that I don't, but personally, I found this movie already very overrated.

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]