IMDb > "Justified" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Justified"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Justified" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

One of the best

Author: donb-519-335075 from United States
11 August 2015

Cindy and I went to college at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Ky. We had many acquaintances from Harlan County - where Justified takes place. The re-creation of how friendly and laid back people are in Eastern Ky was the first thing that attracted me to Justified.

The lead character, Raylon Givins, played so smoothly by Timothy Olyphant, knows most of the people he is working with, and going after, as part of his job as a U.S. Marshall. Raylon is from Harlan and he prosecutes his job with vigor, barely keeping his toes on the right side of the law. Raylon knew; played ball with; and most importantly, dug coal with many of the bad guys he was later to apprehend - and in many cases kill.

There is a lot of the typical Western in Justified, from Raylon's cowboy hat - his signature look - to the six-guns that many of the bad guys carry (in holsters naturally). Raylon carries a Glock - clearly the most reliable semiautomatic ever made. And naturally he is the quickest draw in the West ... er the East . . . of Kentucky that is.

The other main characters (and there are so many) are terrific - especially Walter Goggons - who plays Boyd Crowder and Joelle Carter - who plays Boyd's sister-in-law and on and off lover, Ava Crowder. This show has won a number of Emmy's and other awards, but not nearly as many as it should have.

Boyd Crowder is one of the most memorable bad guys since Ian McShane as Swearingen in Deadwood. But where Swearingen was pretty much totally evil (in a compassionate way), Boyd is always on top of things- even when he is shot and/or in prison. Boyd is the ultimate survivor and the smartest bad guy since Hannibal Lechter. You will find yourself rooting for Boyd throughout the series.

Walter Goggins has been around since 1990 and has had many parts, but this is his signature role.

Each of the seasons has a particular flow and storyline - all of them with very rich characters (some so low-life you cannot believe it.) Cindy and I have been dreading seeing the 78 episodes fly by. If you get into it, you will be hooked as we were.

Unlike the 90+ episodes of Sons of Anarchy which eventually got a little stale (hung on too long), Justified stayed crisp, interesting and engrossing until the end. The last season is terrific, tying up a number of loose ends, but in a way which leaves things open for sequels - or maybe a movie. I'm hoping for a season 7 in a couple of years.

Hope you check it out. There is huge competition for your viewing hours with so many great shows. I am glad Cindy and I have stuck with the heroes and miscreants of Easter Ky to the end.

Best show ever

Author: wallykoehler from Burke, VA
10 April 2015

This is my all-time favorite television series. Yes, more than the Sopranos or The Wire or I Love Lucy or whatever. This show has Elmore Leonard's genius for dialog among a cast of wacky low-lifes. One standard for a good show/movie/book is that you can't just have a couple of compelling lead players, you need a talented supporting cast, and Justified has the deepest bench in the league. Walton Goggins routinely steals the show as Boyd Crowder, and Jere Burns as Win Duffy just eats up the screen. There's also a raft of redneck punks who are not quite smart enough to understand what's going on. If you want to watch a crime thriller with a lot of violence that will also regularly make you laugh out loud, Justified is the best.

good ol' raylan givens

Author: Char Reggie from United Kingdom
11 March 2014

Love the show! I've netflixed justified up until season 4! Couldn't wait for them to start showing the 5th season. So I stream it weekly first thing! As i'm in UK they stopped airing it from s4!

But the actual series is a killer, the characters grow on you, and what I find even more special is that it follows the good and the bad through out the show, I completely love the Boyd crowder character, a real stand up crook, and a very good bad guy, and was very surprised to find out he was the transsexual woman in sons of anarachy! If thats not acting i don't know what is! Needs to be more of this show! On more TVs! I'm like the only one who knows it over here.....

Well acted and well written, worth a look

Author: Jim from United States
16 February 2013

I have to admit I stumbled over "Justified" when channel surfing and I caught the Season 4 opener. I then watched the second episode of the season, and realized that to fully appreciate (much less understand!) the show, I'd need to see Seasons 1,2 and 3 to get caught up. Money well spent. I highly recommend that if you have not seen them, you will be well served by watching earlier episodes, either by retail DVD or, for a couple of bucks each, episodes on Amazon. Each season has a central story arc, especially Season 2 with the Bennett-Crowder-Givens family feud, and the Season 3 Frankfort mob-Givens-Crowder interplay.

I won't bore you with a synopsis of the story lines, or what characters do what, you can read that in any other review or IMDBs description. Not every episode is perfect - there were a few from Season 1 and 2 that I thought didn't really add too much to the whole series, but the thing of it is, each show has some little scene or scenes that contribute to the plot line that carries on. As other reviewers have noted, you also need to pay attention. Get distracted for a couple of lines, and you might miss an important plot twist. This is a THINKING person's show.

Some might describe the characters as caricatures or stereotypes, but they're really not - while they may portray 'simple country folk', their characterizations and motivations are, for the most part, quite complex. Boyd Crowder specifically is a great TV character. While violent, sociopathic behavior is second nature to him, he's also quite erudite, and perhaps the most knowledgeable character on the show, if not the best educated. Walton Goggins deserves an Emmy, without a doubt.

Timothy Olyphant's Raylen Givens is a combination of Eastwood's Dirty Harry and Garner's Jim Rockford. Not afraid to shoot, and tenacious as a terrier, he also has a bit of a blind spot for pretty girls, sad stories, and impossible situations. He's not perfect, by any means, and he knows it. Raylen and Boyd are the best good guy-bad guy team on TV. Their shared background and, at times, overlapping interests, make the interplay between their characters the high points of each episode.

The other cast members shine from episode to episode. The good part is that not all characters show up in every episode - thus allowing for a widely spread story line that lets actors move in and out as required. A special nod to Nick Searcy as the ever-suffering Chief Deputy Art Mullin, and bad boys Dewie Crowe and Dickie Bennett, and Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy, who appears to have bounced from USA Network's "Burn Notice" to "Justified" without having to change his character.

Like any really good show, the writing makes or breaks the whole thing. "Justified" is that rare combination of action, emotion, and humor that might just capture you. But don't start in the middle of a season - go from the beginning.

The dialog and unique atmosphere makes this series

Author: TesaRants from Somewhere
16 July 2012

When I first started watching this series, it appeared as though it was slow but in reality a lot happens in each episode and the attention and focus of series is on dialog and character construction which is excellent. The dialog and script construction is the strength of the series and some of it is of incredible quality for a TV series of this kind.

Whoever put the scripts together is not creating black and white characters even when they do very evil things and the life that created those characters is typically investigated.

There is distinct image of southern atmosphere that is presented here that also makes the series unique.

The acting is superb and I thinks that is because the dialog is superb and makes sense.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this series. To those that are starting to watch it and find it slow, I suggest that they watch a few episodes to get acclimated with the atmosphere.

I said to myself:well,a new a Deadwood ,I wasn't wrong completely,but it is more fun,faster, and maybe even better

Author: brothersforlife9876 from Iran
11 September 2012

When I wanted to watch this series I said to myself : well its going to be like a Deadwood in modern times,I wasn't wrong completely,but it is more fun,faster, and maybe even better,the story is good,its not a fantastic story anyway,but it is better than a dozen of serials I saw before.its about us marshals we saw them before in white collar,they were somehow bad guys in that series but this time,they are more like heroes.They handle problem and do their main duty(catching wanted people) very good.

One problem,one marshal: Its not fair that we talk about this serial and don't say a word about Raylan givens,he is the main and the best character in the serial.its a simple thing: you either like this guy or hate him.if you like him,this serial can be a one of the best serials you have ever seen,but if you watched some episodes and find that you hate this guy,don't watch it anymore,because in that case this series can be a nightmare.why? Because raylan is the center of justified's world,everyone and everything else is just around him.He has a complicated character,he laugh and make fun sometimes,but he shows no fear when he faces criminals,he cant choose between his career and his ex-wife,he wants both but at the same time he knows that his family is in a great danger as long as he is a marshal.anyway,its a simple serial,everything is good in this series but nothing is very good,its about a man(raylan givens) Who lives in modern times but acts like a cowboy(a very gentle cowboy for sure).I liked raylan so I enjoyed watching this series,Watch this, it can be fun.if you watched and liked series like deadwood,white collar and Dexter,you will like this one too.

A quality drama and truly one of the best ever made for television

Author: rupoet from United States
14 December 2011

Timothy Olyphant is exceptional in every sense of the word and absolutely "riveting" in his new role as Raylan Givens. Carrying a swagger and demeanor that exudes a naturally raw confidence, rarely seen in television today, Olyphant generates a presence the moment he steps into a scene and before a word even needs to be spoken. Though mostly revolving around the rural areas of Kentucky, where values seem to follow a more "Old West" mentality and civility, the contradiction alongside modern rules and approach only heightens the confrontations with a suspenseful air that leaves you in utter anticipation. Yet, the series does an exceptional job in revealing a vulnerability to Raylan, as he struggles to deal with his personal life alongside his career as a U.S. Marshal, that at times seems to conflict. With superbly written dialogue, a complimentary cast of characters, and a quality unequaled, Justified is utterly magnificent in every regard.

Loving this show is Justifiable

Author: GoddessCeCe from USA
19 May 2010

As a heartbroken fan of Nip/Tuck, which just ended its 6 season run, I was keeping an eye out for another FX show I could enjoy. With FX, original series can be either hit (Nip/Tuck, Dirt) or miss (The Riches). Justified is a show I normally wouldn't have looked at even once. Being a city girl at heart, I'm not a fan of westerns or anything country. One thing I am a fan of is Timothy Olyphant. When I saw one of my favorite actors (brilliant in "Hitman") was going to be in a new show, I of course had to watch. A pleasant surprise awaited me.

It's as if Timothy Olyphant was born to be US Marshal Raylan Givens, a good ol' country boy with personal issues. After shooting a man in Miami old west style ("It was justified"), Raylan is punished by being sent back to his old home town in Kentucky to work the local cases, many involving people he knows. His estranged father, former best-friend-turned-criminal, an old flame and a complicated ex wife round out the engaging cast of colorful characters. Raylan has a reputation for being a bit trigger-happy, a branding he hardly thinks is fair ("only if it's justified"). He is never without his 10 gallon hat (unless someone steals it), he can talk down a hostage situation with whiskey and a bucket of fried chicken, or shoot a guy for "taking one more step". It's all in a day's work for Raylan.

Justified is one of those shows that makes you forget you're watching a show being acted by actors. It's as though you are observing actual people live their lives. I feel like I'm in the scene, watching everything unfold before me. The dialogue is fresh, gritty, real and absolutely hilarious. The characters bounce between utterly ridiculous and completely relatable. And the actors, everyone from the main stars to the day players are right on the money.

If you haven't yet seen Justified, do yourself a favor and catch it when it re-airs on FX. Or wait for the DVD's to come out. If this show doesn't win an award or two, well, that ain't civilized.

In spite of long duration and sporadic unevenness, still a quality entertainment

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
5 August 2015

/refers to all seasons and episodes/ There are not too many series that are captivating from the very beginning, that are both realistic (well, enhanced artistry is natural) and with distinct characters performed by character actors forming an ensemble, without the main character sticking out too much. Justified is definitely among them, where Timothy Olyphant as Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens is really strong and versatile (and not a real "goodie"), but as there are so many interesting portrayals, beginning with Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder and ending with Sam Elliott as Avery Markham, there is hardly any scene where you feel the starring performance completely overshadowing others (as e.g. in the British version of Wallander).

The characters are skilfully well-weighed, and although some of their motives and deeds are questionable, with some tend to die too soon and the others not at all, their development and alternation is still catchy to follow. True, through lots of violence, misery and crime, but felonies remain felonies, there is no glorification of them, and preparing or accomplishing crimes do not include "witty" lines... Moreover, the viewers obtain an overview of past and present in the relatively small State of Kentucky (most crime dramas deal with metropolitan issues), as actions and consequences derive directly from its economic prosperity and decline.

Recommended to all those fond of series with both versatile deeds and characters. For the sake of full comprehension, you are advised to watch all series in sequence.

A show that never has a dull moment

Author: chris from Chicago
15 May 2015

I started watching 'Justified' and was immediately hooked. The characters and story are thrilling. There is never a dull moment in the shows 6 seasons. Unlike any other show i never i saw a dip in the show. I kinda hope that amazon/netflix pick this series up. I awarded this 10 out of 10 because it's simply the best series i have watched in a long time. The effects, the dress/make-up and actor/actress choice is really amazing. You get attached to almost every main character, might even cry when you see one of your favorites go. To someone who is looking for a great drama series, I'd offer this one as the best right off the top of my head.