IMDb > "Justified" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Justified"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Justified" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Better than Breaking Bad

Author: Petewclark from United Kingdom
20 March 2014

After completing Breaking Bad, thinking that nothing could equal or ever surpass it, I found Justified. With no expectation other than I could possibly find something entertaining to watch since no more BB to watch. We have now watched all 4 seasons available on Netflix and can honestly say this is one brilliant brilliant series. In someways similarly to BB the web in intrigue builds episode on episode as do the characterisations. Also one of the key strengths of BB is that every character no matter how inconsequential plays a vital role in the development of the plot. Justified in many ways surpasses this.

Really cannot wait for season 5 with the climax of season 4 leaving a wonderfully poised situation. Just hope that Netflix can get this to air asap as inexplicably Channel 5 have dropped it!

Definitely worth every second I've spent in front of the screen

Author: Florin Nastase from Romania
8 May 2015

Positively one of the best TV shows I've seen in years. I, for one, didn't cared as much about gun action( which by they way is abundant) as I did for the excellent dialogue and the acting. Acting in particular is extremely good, not one single character is out of his role, to be truthful even a dog if you see in a scene in this series, you get the feeling that it's exactly where that dog belongs to. As for the dialogue, it is so good, that it's actually the only flaw this show has. It seems very unlikely that all that crowd of cunning rednecks have such a large arsenal of polite irony, well placed quotes, to the border of well educated people and yet fall over and over to next man's scheme or simply go down by the hand of their own stupidity. Anyways I cannot up-vote this show enough and I can only suggest to make yourselves comfortable in any greasy sofa you have, and prepare to get ported to Harlan, Kentucky.

The best thing on TV by a long way

Author: julia-rabbitts from United Kingdom
30 April 2012

I like cop shows, I like shows that are well acted and literate. This manages the interesting knack of being both (how many other shows mention Of Human Bondage and quote Saul Bellow).

I confess that when Timothy Olyphant looks at the camera with those wonderful, melting eyes strange things seem to happen to my knees but the fact that he can act makes all the difference. I love that Raylan Givens doesn't shout and blast everything in sight. In one of my favourite episodes in Season 1 he diffuses a hostage situation with fried chicken and bourbon. He tries to keep his gun in its holster but if he pulls it, then you'll wish he hadn't.

I love that with the less bad or more thinking criminals he will sit with them afterwards so that they aren't alone when they die. He has a passion for ice cream, justice and his ex-wife Winona. She loves him but finds living with the idea that he might not come home every night very difficult.

Their relationship is intriguing. Ava's relationship with Boyd is also intriguing, especially if you saw the pilot and remember what she thought of him at the time.

This is a very good, very special series and to anyone only starting in the middle of Season 3 I have some pieces of advice; obtain copies of Season 1 and 2 so you understand all the events of the past (Aunt Helen's murder is especially important), concentrate when you watch an episode (a tiny minute or two on screen in one episode can be the key to understanding the action three episodes later) and engage your brain (this is thinking people's television).

Blown Away by Justified -- Again

Author: thomasdenney from Houston, Texas
28 June 2015

Being a devotee of Justified (yes, I drank the Coolaid), I'm no stranger to being completely absorbed into the episodes. Excellent writing, excellent acting, excellent production, excellent character development will do that.

There is not enough room here to say all I'd wish to about this whole series. I wish I could. It took me places I had never expected.

That said, I was not prepared for the entrance of Jonathan Tucker as Boon. Sinister and creepy, yes, but I was blown away by the way Mr. Tucker carried this character through these episodes. He had me feeling sorry for Boon and wondering if this person could be redeemed. He had me outraged at his sheer callousness. Undoubtedly there was great direction too, but we don't get to see that.

I'm going to miss my favorite series terribly, but I'm definitely going to catch up on Mr. Tucker's prior work and watch for him in the future.

THANK YOU to the entire cast and crew for an unforgettable experience.

Once upon a time in Kentucky...

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
15 May 2015

I just finished the whole series and I enjoyed every single one of the episodes from all seasons. This is an underrated series that deserves much more people to know about it. I'm normally not a big fan of Kentucky accent but in this show it's just great. The conversations between the actors are also excellent. I just love the way they talk in Justified. The actors are all top notch, can't really fail anybody on this show. Walton Goggins (as Boyd Crowder) and Timothy Olyphant (as Raylan Givens)are definitely the two actors that carry this series to a higher level. Their eternal battle against each other is a pleasure for the eye and ear. The story is well written, you never get bored for a second. I certainly will watch Justified again in the future.

Awestruck, forever.

Author: farhans from China
30 April 2015

When I watched first season of justified, I thought to myself- Man, how fresh is this show? I got the same feeling that I got when I watched Firefly and even dreaded the same fate for this gem. But thank God that didn't happen. So we got the second season and I found out how the show matured without actually losing any of its inherent charm. Again, setting was perfect and Mags Bannet proved to be another worthy foe….. and then the history of between the clans….. I mean, everything was just pitch-perfect, even better than the first season. So then I asked myself another question. What will happen in later seasons? I mean, it's a great show and all…. But all good things, finally & sadly, do have to come to an end… and how many times do we see an end that is extremely painful, as the show descends into a sad state, trying to rescue itself from a grim fate by using cheap thrills, cameos that are just plain laughable and then network would cancel it anyway. We have all seen this happen to even the best of the shows. So how much juice was left in justified's engine, which was already running at near perfect revolutions per episode. But then, to my amazement, 3rd season happened and then 4th one with the amazing Drew Thompson story. It just kept getting better, against all odds, defying the fundamental laws of writing and acting and production value……it just pushed and pushed ahead. Now people may think that 5th season might have been one of the weakest, but I personally disagree. Crowes were not as vicious as other baddies, but they had their own charm. Even when this show (maybe) dragged, it had a better overall entertainment value than the lot of them. So we got then news (probably mid-season) that 6th was going to be its last season. And I was relieved. Creators and writers and all others involved, made a decision to preserve an image in the minds of the viewers that was different from that of every other successful show I know. And the image was…….Not to crash and burn, but gracefully conclude this modern classic. I know critics look at this show and roll their eyes, nitpicking things that are just miniature compared to the overall impact of this fine piece of entertainment.

Coming back, sixth season started with a bang, and never took its eyes off the prize. Finding at least two worthy foes, who were as charismatic as Raylan….. it's difficult to find anything wrong with this line of thinking. But anyway, in the finale, show skipped a couple of years, to show a time that was simpler (I presume) and they DID leave Harlan alive, and then it ended with simple line. I know, I should have been shedding tears, to see my most beloved show end, and end at such emotional note….. but I somehow tilted towards smiles, that stretched from ear to ear. How clichéd I would sound to say that I wasn't sad that it was over, but rather glad that It happened….. but there….. I said it, I meant it and am here to represent it (while clichés are open and puns are intended). I wish I could have time to analyze each and every episode. I wish that I could repeat every crisp dialog to remind myself of those good times. I wish I could discuss the score, the cinematography, the acting, the spontaneity of plot and tons of other things….. but I can't. All I want to say is…..THANK YOU, to the creators of this wonderful show and every person involved, and now that I have watched Justified, I know I won't be able to enjoy anything else that easily. My sense of morality is even more screwed up after watching this piece of art, but I am better for it. I will re-watch justified till cows come home and I will keep thinking how on earth this marvelous show was created, sustained and concluded, maintaining a level of entertainment that I never find even in the best of show and movies. This just goes to show that something as simple as nice story telling can go a long way. If you haven't watched Justified yet, then please go ahead and give it a try. If it proves to be your cup of tea, you will have the experience of a lifetime watching a simple yet elegant TV show.

If you haven't seen it, you should

Author: CTCowell from United States
17 April 2015

I am very sad to see this show go. I can sit here at type out all the things that made this show great, but I think just telling how we enjoyed it will do a better job. My wife and I often use the hours after our children go to bed to relax and enjoy a show or 2 that we usually have to prerecord. We were lucky enough to catch this 1 early on, back when few people were watching. We kept telling our friends they should tune in and eventually they did, thanking us later.

At some point midway through the 2nd season I mentioned to my wife that while we had a few shows we watched regularly, I found that I was looking forward to Justified each week a bit more then all the rest. She agreed. Justified had, without us even knowing it, become our favorite show. The show mastered the art of building tension through the season. Even episodes that might be considered "slow" were just trains gaining momentum before the eventual train-wreck.

Going back to that 2nd season, I honestly think that season was 1 of the finest seasons of any TV show I have ever seen. The characters built that season lasted through the entire series, even the side characters lasted. it is a rare thing in TV to see characters built the way this show could.

Please, if you haven't seen this show do so now. It really is 1 of the finest to come out in recent years.

Absolutely outstanding show!

Author: stevenhenry_69 from United Kingdom
10 March 2012

Having been working abroad I missed this show entirely and it was highly recommended to me after discussing "Deadwood", which I ranked as an amazing show. So having some time on my hands on leave, I acquired the first two seasons and gave it a shot. I rate Timothy Olyphant highly in this type of role and wow did he deliver.Walton Goggins, another of my favorites from The Shield another favorite show was there too, so what a feast. The storyline, acting, editing , directing, music, sets.. in fact everything about the shows oozes "professional" It would be fair to say I was "blown away" by the show, now watching season three, which maybe doesn't have quite the same momentum of the first two seasons , but hey I'm not complaining at all...I could watch this all day....Raylen Givens is a man born beyond his time, his heart is in Tombstone or Dodge, and we're given the idea he plays out his life just like the old timers of old did.The character is a joy to behold. I seldom get time to watch good shows, but now added this to my favorites along with Deadwood, Dexter, band of brothers and Pacific. There's enough storyline explained in other reviews, I just wanted to go in print and add a big pat on the back to all involved with the show for making such a great show and putting a big smile on my face. I hope this show is planned to run a few more seasons yet. I feel Tim Olyphant has more scope to play with the Raylen Givens character yet.If you like the genre of Modern day westerns, I don't think anyone does it better than Timothy Olyphant and co.Sit back and immerse yourself in the atmosphere that is portrayed as Harlan County...and then tell me I was was wrong!

A great TV show, that really shows a different side of the US

Author: Palle Wolter from Copenhagen, Denmark
14 April 2011

This is my first review, but i will do my best.

Justified is a TV show that's starring Timothy Olyphant, a great actor and if you like Timothy in general, you will love this show. He is great in the role of a law man, which he has shown us before in Deadwood.

Although his character in Justified is a lot more lovable.

The show takes place in Harlan County, in Kentucky and it's awesome for a Dane like me, to see a different kind of TV show, because there is a lot of modern TV shows that takes place in the big cities.

So it's nice to get away from the city life.

The show is just pure awesome, and i would say that it's a mix of shows like Sopranos, Deadwood and The Shield, added with a great sense of humor time to time.

I hope my review inspired you to watch the show.

One of the best

Author: donb-519-335075 from United States
11 August 2015

Cindy and I went to college at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Ky. We had many acquaintances from Harlan County - where Justified takes place. The re-creation of how friendly and laid back people are in Eastern Ky was the first thing that attracted me to Justified.

The lead character, Raylon Givins, played so smoothly by Timothy Olyphant, knows most of the people he is working with, and going after, as part of his job as a U.S. Marshall. Raylon is from Harlan and he prosecutes his job with vigor, barely keeping his toes on the right side of the law. Raylon knew; played ball with; and most importantly, dug coal with many of the bad guys he was later to apprehend - and in many cases kill.

There is a lot of the typical Western in Justified, from Raylon's cowboy hat - his signature look - to the six-guns that many of the bad guys carry (in holsters naturally). Raylon carries a Glock - clearly the most reliable semiautomatic ever made. And naturally he is the quickest draw in the West ... er the East . . . of Kentucky that is.

The other main characters (and there are so many) are terrific - especially Walter Goggons - who plays Boyd Crowder and Joelle Carter - who plays Boyd's sister-in-law and on and off lover, Ava Crowder. This show has won a number of Emmy's and other awards, but not nearly as many as it should have.

Boyd Crowder is one of the most memorable bad guys since Ian McShane as Swearingen in Deadwood. But where Swearingen was pretty much totally evil (in a compassionate way), Boyd is always on top of things- even when he is shot and/or in prison. Boyd is the ultimate survivor and the smartest bad guy since Hannibal Lechter. You will find yourself rooting for Boyd throughout the series.

Walter Goggins has been around since 1990 and has had many parts, but this is his signature role.

Each of the seasons has a particular flow and storyline - all of them with very rich characters (some so low-life you cannot believe it.) Cindy and I have been dreading seeing the 78 episodes fly by. If you get into it, you will be hooked as we were.

Unlike the 90+ episodes of Sons of Anarchy which eventually got a little stale (hung on too long), Justified stayed crisp, interesting and engrossing until the end. The last season is terrific, tying up a number of loose ends, but in a way which leaves things open for sequels - or maybe a movie. I'm hoping for a season 7 in a couple of years.

Hope you check it out. There is huge competition for your viewing hours with so many great shows. I am glad Cindy and I have stuck with the heroes and miscreants of Easter Ky to the end.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]