IMDb > Chalet Girl (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chalet Girl

Chalet Girl More at IMDbPro »

Amazingly predictable but watchable all the same

Author: Red-Barracuda from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
25 March 2011

There surely can't be too many people who come away from Chalet Girl saying that it didn't deliver what they expected it to. It's almost charmingly clichéd and completely predictable at every moment. Whether or not this will bother you or not is entirely down to your tolerance for the romantic-comedy genre. I personally would classify it as a perfectly watchable movie; although it is 100% unremarkable.

Its main angle I suppose is its setting. The Alps are very beautiful and this doesn't harm the film. The snowboarding part is dealt with in a relatively minor way, as the main thrust of the plot is of the comic and romantic kind - the snobbishness of skiers, the almost angelic goodness of the boarders, the tart with a heart, the posh boy who falls for the chalet girl, etc etc. It's all very one dimensional, although it does have to be said that leading actress Felicity Jones does make for a good enough principal girl; however, her male counterpart Ed Westwick did seem very wooden to me. And I still can't fathom why they went to the trouble of hiring a skilled comedian like Bill Bailey when all his character amounts to is a man who can't cook his dinner.

At the end of the day Chalet Girl is a chick-flick with snowboards. There's nothing new here but I've also seen Snowboard Academy, and that film makes this one seem like The Godfather by comparison. So there's a positive note to end this on.

Predictable storyline but unmissable

Author: nicole_ward from United Kingdom
30 March 2011

Went to see this film with a friend as I love Ed Westwick. The film itself looked good however I did not expect it to be as good as it was. The storyline is very typical however the script has been written very well.

It is so nice to have a new English film out once in a while instead of American. I do love American films but the humour is not as great as English. Chalet girl is a great film without being over the top. It is not cheesy and has great characters to follow.

This film is great throughout and I recommend people go and watch it; even guys as it is not just a girl chick flick film. With the great actors and great script this film is overall fantastic and should be watched by all.

I wanted to hate this

Author: nickmorgan02 from United Kingdom
27 February 2011

I wanted to hate this, I really did. I'm on the sharp end of a divorce so going into a romantic comedy for me, well it's like a vegan booking an abattoir weekend.

I was strong-armed into a preview show under the notion that it was Cinderella on a Snowboard and to a certain extent this is correct, Kim (Felicity Jones) is a downtrodden burger-queen-teen with zero prospects trapped in a co-dependent rut with her culinary incompetent dad (Bill Bailey) and nursing grief for her mother - who died in a car crash.

In a series of unlikely twists Kim lands a job as a Chalet Girl with super-rich family in beautiful Austria, enter Prince Charming (lush Ed Westwick) who is – horror show – engaged to somebody he like – so completely – doesn't love.

While romance runs its roller-coaster course Kim learns to snowboard and finds she's gifted – well to a point – because the psychological scaring of her mum's death holds her back from winning the local boarding trophy – and a very useful cash prize.

While the set-up is pure Cinderella the execution is all Rocky.

As Kim was fighting the odds I found myself rooting for her: when she crashed in the snow I felt her pain and when she got up and faced her demons I felt her determination, god I even cried at one point – in a quiet manly way.

There are plenty of clichés: including a Tart who – guess what – grows a Heart, but despite all of that I just found myself going along with it. No, not just going along with it, but loving it.

The success is partly down to a script that punches well above its weight: the sharp banter runs like this:

Posh Richard (Bill Nighy): (pointing at a helicopter) You ever been in one of these things? Kim: (impressed but ultra-cool) Yeah, we have one at home. This one's pretty small actually. Posh Richard: Do we pay extra for irony? Kim: No, the irony's free, it's the sarcasm you're paying for. Ironically...

But the success is mostly down to Felicity Jones - she's hardly off screen and start-to-finish she oozes a hypnotic charm that wraps itself around you from go. Then there's the scenery too. The snow and chalet scenes are shot in Austria, in particular St Anton where 'The Museum' is used for exterior shots of the posh chalet – well, they are stunning.

Between the location, Felicity and even (strangely enough) Ed Westwick I left the cinema with my love for humanity and indeed the world in much better shape than when I went in. I'm still being divorced of course, but after the film I feel slightly better about the process.

Predictable Yet Very Enjoyable Rom-Com

Author: (moossaboossa)
7 October 2011

It's rare that when watching a chick flick, I find myself laughing out of genuine humour: but such was the case in Chalet Girl. Not only does it boast a pleasingly sarcastic dialogue and delightfully witty characters, but it offers just the right amount of romance and cheese to avoid 93 minutes of cringing. The story was very uplifting, albeit predictable, and the photography was worthy of a gasp or two. Set in the beautiful Austrian alps, this movie contained the perfect ingredients for a light and enjoyable flick: humour, romance, dramatic twist and happy ending. Perhaps it's not Oscar worthy, but it's certainly worth an hour and a half of your time.

Excellent, great family entertainment

Author: David Richardson (dave@richtv.co.uk) from United Kingdom
16 January 2011

We got preview tickets to this film at Parrs Wood Didsbury this morning - my wife and daughter were very keen to see it because they love Ed Westwick in Gossip Girl. They thought it might have been too much of a chick flick for me but it is one of the best films I have seen for a long time, it has great story line, very well made, actors absolutely play their roles brilliantly. Its great to see a British film back on the screen. The make up of the film editing/production is very well cut and doesn't have the usual padded out parts in the middle where I normally get bored!! A great film for all the family, but be aware once your children have seen it they will be begging you to take them skiing!!

Its not a 'downhill' movie

Author: shead23 from United Kingdom
27 January 2012

Chalet Girl is a feel good movie and offers the viewer comedy, romance and some good photographic shots. Its a film which starts with Felicity Jones (Kim ) delivering a very 'slick' main character role. Her delivery of the part just hit the spot thus you felt you were there with her throughout the movie. I would say its definitely a gender type film, more a 'girly' movie but thats perhaps not fair as it has a 'full rounded' story which would appeal to both genders really. The storyline is simple, opportunity, relationships and fears. The overcoming of all is part of the simplistic joy of the film. I don't agree with comments of the film being boring but perhaps my aforementioned comments re gender would support these negative reviews. The acting was very good and all roles complimented each other, fitting in and all loose ends were tied up. Also it was a pleasure to watch a film which did not need to resort to copious amounts of foul language. A nice, easy, enjoyable film which leaves one feeling lifted and has the 'ahhhh' factor.

Likable romcom but...

Author: jane_concannon from London, England
13 April 2011

This is a sweet and quite likable comedy but it could have been so much better...

The acting on the whole was awful - especially from the 'love interest' Robert Pattinson look-a-likey Ed Westwick.

I guess all romcoms are somewhat predictable, but in this it was painfully obvious what was going to happen.

The plot was ridiculous in places - with a complete novice learning to snowboard to competition level within a matter of weeks.

Despite all these criticisms I kind of enjoyed it (mainly for the snowboarding and the Alps) but would neither recommend it nor want to watch it again. Perhaps more one to watch at home if you have some time to kill and there was nothing much else on.

Delightful

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
18 March 2011

Kim, stuck in a mindless burger bar job, looks after her clueless Dad following Mum's death in a car crash. When money troubles press, Kim takes a job as a chalet girl working for a rich family, only to find that she is somewhat looked down on by the family themselves and the other upper crust husband hunting chalet girls. But rich son Jonny is rather tasty, and Kim turns out to be quite good at snowboarding...

This romantic comedy has a lot going for it. There is no bad language for a start off (albeit a little bit of mild raunch and non-explicit nudity), a lot of attractive scenery, a sparky script, and several attractive performance. Bill Nighy is, as usual, a joy, and Tamsin Egerton is great fun (with most of the funniest lines). Sophia Bush has the most dramatic moment, with a very believably written and performed sequence.

But the film stands on Felicity Jones' diminutive shoulders. As Kim, she is by turns girl-next-door ordinary and glowingly beautiful, sometimes at the same time. More importantly, she projects a vulnerability and sheer niceness which makes it very easy for an audience to empathise with her (and she can act, which doesn't hurt).

A pleasing feelgood movie.

Felicity Jones is great as Chalet Girl. :)

Author: Jimmy Collins from United States
26 September 2011

Felicity Jones is such a great up and comer, she will certainly have a long career ahead of her, she's got an extremely likable screen presence. The story of Chalet Girl is sweet and innocent, but not too innocent, the character of Kim makes thus film not the annoying cheesy romance it so easily could have been.

If it was American it would not have been as enjoyable, even the one American character in the film (Brooke Shields), is the most annoying of all of them, even though she plays trophy wife to perfection she is still very mean and annoying.

Ed Westwick impressed me also, I thought he wouldn't be able to shake off the whole Chuck Bass characterization, but Henie convincing as the nice rich boy who falls for the working class Kim.

The alps where the movie is filmed are absolutely gorgeous, it's movies like this that make you want to go on holidays. The performances all round are wonderful but like I said earlier this movie belongs to Jones. She's just lovely.

I hope you enjoy it. Quite different to the usual romantic comedy but much better also. :)

Loved it!

Author: Eliza Hellier
10 July 2011

I went to see this movie a few months after it came out as part of a cheap cinema deal with friends. We went totally expecting a silly movie which we would all laugh at later but instead every single one of us loved it! Sure, the movie was a typical British Rom-com with cheesy scenes and Ed Westwick but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was witty - not obvious humour that I hate and the British actors really impressed me and showed their talents. However, I do agree that this movie may not be for men as it is typically as many of these films are, aimed at women. Overall, I really loved this movie and will be buying it when they finally release it on DVD :D