IMDb > Craigslist Joe (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Craigslist Joe

Craigslist Joe More at IMDbPro »

No fuss, no effects. Just people being GREAT people.

Author: Jennifer Miller (jennmillerla@gmail.com) from United States
4 August 2012

Watching this left me wanting to give Joe a big hug! Ha, aside from how amazing random strangers were I love that their are people like you - Joe. That have the right kind of crazy and honest passion for the weird and wonderful people we share this world with.

Feel inspired and truly blessed with the wonderful people I do have in my life. But seeing strangers putting themselves out there to help another fellow human being left me feeling happy, excited, emotional and restored faith in our chaotic world we've created.... Ineeded that.

Made my day!

People are overwhelmingly trustworthy and generous

Author: tashi-herzmark from boulder, co
30 October 2012

Craigslist Joe demonstrates to all those who doubt the basic goodness of human beings that each and every one of us possesses beauty and a fundamental dignity. The films characters and their interactions pass as at least exceptionally genuine and not a moment of camp or scripting was evident and this with the ordinariness of the content gives it it's power. The subject matter, alienation and the vanishing of real community (in the U.S. and the industrialized world at large), born by distrust and distraction, is eminently relevant and the film works very well by instead of bemoaning the fact showing the conditions for healing. I hope that you can watch this movie and see what is missing in your life, and perhaps rate this free of cynicism. Cheers and jolly good luck; the Elites may have all the wealth but we've certainly got the numbers.

Pretty awesome, really enjoyed it! :)

Author: skattyus-211-25082 from Utah, USA
3 November 2012

I felt like there may have been a Heisenberg factor throughout the show, that is the fact that people are aware that a camera could be recording them so perhaps they would act differently (I would suspect they'd be nicer)?

Nevertheless, overall it was a very intriguing, honest and perspective altering show frankly. I mean people really did offer to do things without knowing that he was writing a documentary.

I think I liked this documentary so much because it was more of an experiment for a given hypothesis rather than an investigation trying to convince you of something. I guess it was trying to convince me that there is good in the world and well it pretty much worked! That doesn't mean tomorrow I am going to go on Craigslist and do what he did, but I think there was something valuable to take away? :)

Put Me Back on Track

Author: lorriebeauchamp from Canada
28 December 2012

We need more of this type of average-Joe content, although this Joe is far from average. As I watched this tender and inspiring documentary, I realized how cowardly we have all become by ingesting so many fear-based stories from the media and Hollywood alike. We don't trust each other anymore, and our default button is set on "be suspicious", which is really too bad.

Joseph Garner is a modern hero. He shows admirable tolerance, an ability to suspend judgement, and the compassion of someone whose ego hasn't replaced his heart. I laughed, I cried, I felt so inspired by the end of this movie that I wanted to go out in the street and start hugging people. I have grown too cynical, and Joseph Garner reminded me that cynicism is a dangerous stance, putting our own humanity at risk. We can't turn on each other, or isolate ourselves, without suffering huge repercussions on a global basis.

As we move into the next year, may we all find it in our hearts to be more open to strangers, to reach out with help when we can, and certainly to embrace community whenever and wherever we find it.

Makes You Feel Optimistic About Humanity

Author: politically_incorrect204 from United States
16 January 2013

While I acknowledge the cynical points by some about this film I don't think it should discredit it and certainly shouldn't discredit it's intention. Yes I suppose the camera could have influenced people's decisions and their treatment of Joe. But we can't prove that and I honestly feel like most of these people came across as rather genuine. Would they have been AS altruistic without the camera? Perhaps, perhaps not. But I still think they would've tried to help. Regardless I still think the film had some great moments and told some great stories about people and about humanity. I refuse to look at this film through such a cynical filter that all I can do is pick it apart. As someone who believes in the power of Craigslist and people's general humanity and compassion for each other I found the film very enjoyable and even uplifting at times, but perhaps that's just my optimism.

Worth the watch

Author: sophiagigliotti
26 June 2013

Craigslist Joe is a road film documentary that challenges the viewer to reflect on his or her own generosity. In this film Joe Garner voluntarily leaves his home for 31 days with only a laptop, cell phone, and the cloths on his back; with the hopes that he can rely on the generosity of people through Craigslist ads to travel the Unites States. Through Craigslist, Joe comes across a large (an odd) spectrum of people, including businessmen, hippies, a compulsive hoarder, Iraqi immigrants, and a dominatrix. Towards the end of his trip he even gets to meet the founder of Craigslist himself.

The road film genre of Craigslist Joe, paired with the many collaged videos of Joe's adventures, made the documentary feel like a scrapbook of Joe's journey. As Joe narrated the scenes, it made me feel as though I too was along for the ride. This film was entertaining throughout and because of the unpredictability of Craigslist, I never knew what to expect next.

Having used Craigslist before, I was curious about this film to see how and if it is possible to live off of the website. Craigslist is notorious for being dangerous, because you never know who you're trading with and I personally have been put off at times by the potential of coming across a "bad" person. After watching this film I think I would feel a little more open to the idea of using the site, because a large majority of the people (although bizarre) were kind and charitable.

The were a few technicalities that hindered the practicality of this experiment working. The fact that Joe was a clean-cut, attractive, white male, with a camera following him around, may have contributed to the ease in which he found assistance. It would be interesting to see how this experiment would have worked if done off camera, and or with someone of a different race and gender. With that said, the help that he received came from ads that people had posted regardless of Joe and his film. Although Joe's presence may have heightened peoples warmheartedness, there generosity was there to begin with.

Fascinating Story!

Author: Jacob Harkey from United States
14 October 2013

"Craigslist Joe" tells the story of a man who makes it his goal to leave his home and make it by for one month. Here are the rules: no money, no credit cards, no check books, and no contacting anyone that he knows. So how does he do it? Craigslist. On Craigslist, he is able to post ads and respond to those posted by others in order to arrange plans for where to stay and eat food. Each day, he meets new people, who are each interesting in their own way. To me, this movie is fascinating because no man would have been able to manage anything like this before household technology was common. Also, the generosity and compassion of the people he meets is breathtaking. To sum it up: creative concept, impressive feat, great movie. I'd recommend "Craigslist Joe" to anyone.

The Goodness of Human Beings

Author: kely-campos1789 from Caracas
2 January 2015

The goodness of human beings is explored in this documentary that pleasantly surprised me. I must say that I found it friendly from the moment the problem statement. During the trip, Joe gives us a heart medicine by saying he always found a kind soul along the way.

I thought it was great to achieve a documentary like this and to establish a way to connect with people. Joe manages to catch the viewer to reflect even the problems that stand in the way, but ultimately encourages us as a society of little media exist or is so small that ends up being nonexistent. Definitely the world is full of good people, bad few.

Craigslist Joe and demonstrate this through this documentary

What an experience it must have been..

Author: mike-ian from Charleston, SC, United States
26 May 2014

I can't begin to explain how much I enjoyed this documentary.

It was amazing seeing the hospitality others were willing to give to a stranger. It was amazing to see the fulfilling personal experiences and unique stories Joe had that no amount of money can buy. It was amazing to see the bonds that were created with those Joe helped from Craigslist.

I'm a Craigslister, a CouchSurfer, a nomad, always looking for adventure and any way to experience something unique. I enjoy meeting people and hearing their stories. I feel that Joe's month-long experiment was an experience I could only dream about. It must've been an experience of a lifetime

Pretty nice documentary

Author: joe blow from United States
11 March 2013

This showed that there are still people out there who are willing to help strangers out the kindness of their heart. I think it may have gone a bit different had there been no camera or if this had been hidden camera. People he just met were too anxious to let him spend the night at their place, and at one point a female who initially said "no" went back and let him spend the night. I think knowing it was a documentary people felt a little safer and more willing to lend a hand. It was still great to see people helping one another. I felt he forced his emotions to make things seem more dramatic. His tears didn't seem 100% authentic to me. I expected a much more exciting adventure, but it may just be because Joe himself is so monotone. Still a good documentary and well worth the watch.