IMDb > The Raven (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Raven

The Raven More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Explosive!

Author: Angelina-356-434900 from United States
28 April 2012

April 28, 2012 By Angelina de Mourier.

Today, I went to see "The Raven," a mystery thriller set in 1849, the actual time Edgar Allan Poe lived, my January 19th born master of macabre poetry, (though if one were to read his real-life quotes, one would be astonished as to witness such love; "We loved with a love that is more than love.") He died, rather mysteriously, at age 40.

What Director James McTeigue aspired to do was brilliantly accomplished, in this epic work of mystery which incorporates the actual life of Poe with fiction.

Phenomenal achievement, really, as to lace them, oh, so integrally. I salute him, as Poe would have done in his days at West Point, which were mentioned in the movie along with his two loves; first his young cousin of a wife who died of Tuberculosis, first signs truly evident at the piano, as mentioned, and the other love, of his sweetheart, Sarah Elmira Royster. The $9 he was paid for his first publication was incited, his disdain for Longfellow, as well as a myriad of his actual prose of known works from, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" all the way to "Annabel Lee"...which brought the killer into the labyrinth of the fiction element of this film. My heavens, they even included the last publicly known words of Poe, "Lord, help my poor soul."

John Cusack's performance was explosive! And his lines of the time I cherish so, were perfectly articulated with the passion they should be!

And not too many present-day special effects, except a close-up of a slow-moving bullet, which was actually a fabulous adornment.

C'est Magnifique is all I can say of this movie...of course I did close my eyes to the more bloody scenes, which flitted as fireflies on a summers night. So be it.

Oh yes, and I dearly loved these inscripted words to touch my heart, said by Cusack/Poe:

"If I would have known my work would have such an effect on people, I would have devoted more of my time to eroticism."

Well, my dear Edgar, how honored I am as to cover that for thee, in "My Secret Husband."

Most grateful to have had the opportunity to view this production. Truly, Angelina de Mourier

Detective Poetry

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
29 April 2012

This review is on the movie "The Raven," starring John Cusack, Luke Evans, and Alice Eve. When I saw the previews for this film I was automatically hook. I haven't read any of Edgar Allan Poe's novels, but I have heard a lot of great things about them. The previews made the movie look real catchy with a writer (Edgar Allan Poe) going after a murderer that is mimicking his novels. Looked like a descent film and I was excited to see it.

This film is about a writer (Edgar Allan Poe) who has an admirer. The problem with this admirer is that this admirer is willing to bring the deaths in Edgar Allan Poe's novels to life. In the mist of this the murder starts to play a game and challenges Edgar Allan Poe in a battle of wits. To make sure he plays the game, the murderer takes something very valuable to Poe.

I thought this was a very good film. "The Raven" picks up the mystery/thriller ball and doesn't get any scratches on it. I love the way John Cusack character was. I love his passion for his writing and how he felt nothing anyone else was going was better than what he was writing. I also like how just about everything Poe said was dipped in poetic form. The screen writing was simply brilliant in this movie. The ending wasn't typical either. I liked that about this movie. There's nothing like a movie you can't predict. This movie was gruesome though. If your stomach doesn't do well with gruesomeness, you might want to sit this one out. This isn't a difficult movie to follow, but you have to pay attention though. You may have to see the movie two or three times to fully understand how Poe and Fields (detective in movie) figure out the murderers scheme.

Overall, I felt like this was a pretty descent film and I'm giving this film an 8.5 out of 10. You have my blessing to see this film in the movie theaters. I will purchase this movie on DVD.

Quoth the Raven Nevermore

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
27 April 2012

John Cusack gives a great performance as Edgar Allen Poe in this film. He really fooled me with the depth of his acting. In the opening scene, I thought he was just going to ham it up and show Poe as a washed up, egotistical horse's rear end. I liked that scene in the bar where he asked the patrons to give the correct answer to the phrase "Quote the Raven" and then someone yelled "Piss off". However he gives enormous intensity and complexity in showing Poe as loving and brilliant as well when he tries to find his kidnapped girlfriend. You sense his desperation. SPOILER ALERT in the end Poe dies when the bad guy forces him to take a drink of poison. HOWEVER, modern day forensic persons have theorized that Poe's death was from rabies due to a bite of one of his pets, may have been the raccoon he had in this film. I also wanted to point out that there is a big GOOF in this film that the IMDb normally reports on their site. In this movie, Poe is called to serve as an adviser by the police after there is a string of brutal murders that seem to match the plots of his books. There is a shot of a news headline in the movie and it shows the words SERIAL KILLER ON THE LOOSE. This movie is set in 1849 and the term serial killer was not even talked about until a century later. To the technical advisor's of this film I say you did a poor job and get your act together.

Avoid this waste of time film!

Author: g-penman
30 April 2012

This film does nothing that already has not been done much better in other films ...it is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME! First of all,the casting of John Cusack in the role of Edgar Allen Poe,is completely ridiculous! This actor seems do be doing the same type of carefree,brilliant genius role that Robert Downey Jr. did so well in The Sherlock Holmes films,but with none of the comic flair.The actor from "Winter Bone", John Hawkes would have been perfect to be Poe,but Cusack is not dark enough as an actor to play this role. Also,in Sherlock Holmes, there was much chemistry between the actors,especially between Downey and Jude Law,this film does not have a grain of chemistry between the actors!The actress Alice Eve,is absolutely dreadful as Poe's love interest,if I never see her again in a film,it would be too soon! The plot is utterly unoriginal,you have seen this same type of material done better countless times before, any episode of The Showtime series "Dexter"has 100 times the originality of this entire film! This film reminded me much of the 2010 film "The Wolf Man",in that this material has been done infinitely better in countless other films, so it is simply a waste of time,and manages to be 100% unoriginal in every way!

Great movie

Author: mmcca286
28 April 2012

First thing I have to give credit to John Cusack for is award winning performance, and to the supporting cast as well. The movie was great and a great thriller. Not many movie leave me guessing throughout the movie and this one left me guessing all the way to the dramatic conclusion of the movie. There is many different stories about Poe's last few days of life and this one was one of them. If you know the history of Poe then this movie is just amazing and even if you don't really know Poe then movie is still great. My mom watch the movie and she only knew a little about Poe and she like The Raven. I got to give credit to the producer and directors for a flawless movie and to the writers for a wonderful script. I think the best movie of the year.

James McTeigue's The Raven

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
27 April 2012

The Raven is James McTeigue's new film starring John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe, the famous writer who seems to be experiencing a writer's block, as he has money problems and drinking habits. When a detective (Luke Evans) comes to Poe asking for his help in solving a series of murders involving Poe's stories, Poe begins to suspect that there's a bigger scheme behind the mask of the killer.

Masterfully directed by McTeigue, who previously did V for Vendetta (and the fluke, Ninja Assassin), The Raven is a stunning and entertaining set-piece of a period film, mixed with incredible visuals and intense sequences of suspense as Poe begins to get more involved. The way McTeigue captured some of the scenes was just spectacular, especially the part at the church. John Cusack was great as Poe; at first i was a little skeptical, but when i went to the midnight premiere and sat through the first 30 minutes, i knew that the producers made a right choice. Alice Eve was good as Poe's lover, Emily, but nothing too special; mainly eye-candy if you ask me. Luke Evans was just phenomenal as the Inspector, Emmett Fields; he truly is one of the breakout actors of the decade. The music was very moody, truly capturing the terror of the moment when a body is found or Edgar is on the chase. The script wasn't gold, but it was definitely good material for a film like this; it's not something you see every day, and the way they portrayed the time period was just astonishing.

All in all, this is an amazing thriller that surpasses the mistake that was Ninja Assassin but ranks just below the instant classic of V for Vendetta. James McTeigue really needs to stick to films like this.

9/10 Stars***

awesome film great cast

Author: emmas-12033 from Killinchy, Ards
3 July 2016

I have to admit I enjoy a good thriller like the next person. This I knew who the murderer was after five minutes but I kept watching till the end. It was that good, no great even. Creepy atmosphere, with fog laden forest and streets. Awesome casting by far for a great film. The special effects team definitely went to work on the prostetics makeup. Amazing devices that make the books in true life. It was a thrilling movie and I was thoroughly entertained for over an hour. John cussack was a wonderful Edgar Allan Poe, he played what Poe was probably like in person. Luke Evan's was a wonderful inspector too. He helped to make the film better even though it was great already. Keep an eye out for that man as he's really a hot ticket in movies. Overall brilliant film, brilliant cast.

Wasn't that bad

Author: matthew-brady-404-237416 from good review
4 May 2015

Wow a 22% on Rotten Tomatoes, I know I shouldn't compare people's rating to a film but I think it was that bad.

The Raven follows the tale of Edgar Allan Poe are vividly brought to life - and death - in this stylish, Gothic thriller starring John Cusack as the infamous author. When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Poe's darkest works, a young Baltimore detective (Luke Evans) joins forces with Poe in a quest to get inside the killer's mind in order to stop him from making every one of Poe's brutal stories a blood chilling reality. A deadly game of cat and mouse ensues, which escalates when Poe's love (Alice Eve) becomes the next target.

Before I started this review I did some research on this movie and I found out quite a lot of things about this movie and that's the stress and living hell that these film markers or who every worked on this movie faced while the budget and the production went completely wrong. This stuff always happens, I mean loads of classic and beloved movies had a lot of thing wrong with the budget or the production but it always payed off, but for this movie it didn't and while I didn't see it when it first came out because at the time was watching movies that took my interest. A week ago now I've seen the movie and to out thoughts together I can say that this movie isn't bad but wasn't that good, it's on the level of okay.

John Cusack is a great actor but at the beginning of this movie was a bit over the top with him chewing up the scene and that's only the beginning, but after a while he actually began to act and for the most of the movie he did great in the role. Nothing Oscar worthy but still a solid performance and he did his best of what he can work with, if only the movie had a better script.

The rest of cast like: Luke Evans, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Alice Eve and Brendan Gleeson all did a solid performance, just like I said about John Cusack there all did they best of what they got I mean it's not like they did a terrible performance well actually they were good in the movie, not the best performance but still good in a way that I let them have a pass.

The cinematography in this movie looks great, every shot in the movie looked like it took forever to do in some scenes. The set, the costumes and the make-up look pretty good. The final positive thing I can say is that the movie at least doesn't look cheap like some other big Hollywood movies.

Now for problems and there's a lot: The writing in the movie was pretty bland and blah, the movie also felt really short and I normally don't say that before in my reviews but I felt that the movie ended to quick and it rushed a lot of things to end it which I predict that most people wanted but for me I thought the movie may have improved in some way as it went a long but it ended just like that.

The love triangle between Edger Allan Poe and Emily I didn't really care about and this is a bad thing. What I mean is that Emily is like a plot device, the whole movie is about trying to find Emily before it's too late, but here's the thing I don't care about Emily because she wasn't that development and she wasn't all that special to me, now the problem here is that the story is about trying to find her and solve the murder case, but if your movie audience doesn't care about Emily that means they don't care about the story or everything around it and they want it to be over because these nothing there to care about.

Overall The Raven wasn't a terrible movie as people are making it out to be but it could have been a lot better then it was.

The Raven

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
29 April 2015

I heard a little about the film during its release in cinemas, but found our much more so when it came to DVD, including the meaning of the title and who the leading actor was playing, so I decided to try it, directed by James McTeigue (V for Vendetta). Basically, set in the 19th Century, in Baltimore, Maryland, writer Edgar Allan Poe (John Cusack), most famous for the short poem "The Raven", is penniless and writing reviews in the Baltimore Patriot newspaper to get by, he is in love and wanting to marry Emily Hamilton (Alice Eve), but he is despised by her father Captain Charles Hamilton (Brendan Gleeson). A mother and her twelve year old daughter are found mysteriously murdered in a locked room, efficient Detective Emmett Fields (Luke Evans) recalls one of the stories of Allen Poe, so the writer is called in to give his verdict, and a short time later the murder of his rival writer Griswold (John Warnaby) occurs, with the murderer inspired by another of Poe's stories. It soon becomes apparent that a serial killer is on the loose and murdering people using the descriptions from the works of Poe, the stories quoted and used during the film are "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", "The Pit and the Pendulum" (the gory death of Griswold), "The Masque of the Red Death", "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Tell-Tale Heart". But the situation gets much more intense for Poe when the perpetrator uses a diversion to kidnap Emily, she is seen buried alive in a coffin under earth in a shallow grave, which is located beneath the printing floor of Poe's office, Captain Hamilton refuses to call of the search party assigned to find her. Emily is eventually returned and the killer does reveal himself to Poe, it is the newspaper's typesetter Ivan (Sam Hazeldine), he calls himself "Reynolds", he offers Poe a drink and explains his plan, Poe was unaware that the drink had been poisoned, following his story Ivan escapes. In the end Poe is becoming weaker due to the poisoning, (as in real life) he is last seen behaving delirious and rambling by a man on a park bench, with his last moment of strength he says "Tell Fields his last name is Reynolds", his corpse is seen by Fields, but with these words he is able to connect the dots and he does find the killer. Also starring Pirates of the Caribbean's Kevin McNally as Maddux, Oliver Jackson-Cohen as John Cantrell, Pam Ferris as Mrs. Bradley, Brendan Coyle as Reagan, Jimmy Yuill as Captain Eldridge and Dave Legeno as Percy. Cusack gives a performance as the boozy and broke writer turned investigator, and Evans is likable as his police officer sidekick, the story is interesting, with a killer turning dark fiction into reality, there are predictable moments, but the gory moments, the mystery element and the Gothic feel makes this watchable, a not bad period thriller. Worth watching!

A Fascinatingly Compelling Speculative Mystery Thriller

Author: tabuno from utah
1 April 2015

I've always believed that John Cusack as a much under-rated actor. His selection and choice to perform in this dark, speculative version of how Edgar Allen Poe may have died a few days before his death is fascinating and very well done. The script, plot outline, the acting, and presentation are consistent, appealing, and captivating in their portrayal of a complicated man who demonstrates great passion and devotion as well as a layered character not always agreeable, sometimes bittersweet in its consequences and those are perhaps reasons this movie didn't really set all that well with a majority of the audience members.

Nevertheless, this mystery thriller incorporates the highest of human character and ultimately and convincing period mystery film with both heroism of both sexes, and a fiendish, intelligent villain along with a poetic narrative that almost sings with sublime literary prose, very unusual for film nowadays. This movie has the substantive density of Leo DeCaprio's more contemporary atmospheric mystery thriller of Shutter Island (2010) and the tantalizing sadistic teasers of Along Came A Spider (2001) and The Bone Collector (1999). It captures the heart of the superlative crime mystery thriller The Lovely Bones (2009) or the queasy, unsettling sensation arising from Gone Baby Gone (2007). However, this movie seems to have more in common with the crime thriller classic, Se7en (1995) with its parallels in the insidious nature of the villain and the efforts to capture him along with a twisted ending.