IMDb > The Raven (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Raven

The Raven More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 20: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

promising idea

Author: Armand from Romania
18 October 2013

in high school, I was a kind of fan of Poe. after years, this detail makes to have many and large objections about film. sure, it is not a biographic movie and the recipes of Sherlock Holmes is its axis. in same measure, it is an useful invitation to discover life and work of a great American writer. but... too many clichés. in a smart organization but not always compelling. Brendan Gleeson , who seems be the lookalike of Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Cusack who does a correct, almost impeccable role but he is not Poe, the option for Alice Eve as Emily are few pieces who create only a promising project but not a really good film. the atmosphere, the tension, the biographic details and crumbs of literature are assets of film but it remains common, gray, bone of a sparkle industry. and bad thing is the to ignore the potential of basic story. but the second chance is always alive.

I wanted to like it

Author: armandomontelongo715 from United States
24 May 2013

Hollywood has always tried to give us visual retellings of the works of Edgar Allan Poe. I was excited when reading about the Raven, seeing it as a combination of all Poe's most memorable works. It also stars one of my favorite actors from my younger days in John Cusack. That all being said, it just felt like it had all been done before. I had the end of the story figured out about a half hour into the film and spent the rest of the movie trying to close up the loopholes to the mystery before the film did.

The cast was good. I thought Luke Evans was great as the curious and never satisfied Detective Fields. Alice Eve, as always, was breathtaking as the helpless heroine Emily. Then we come to Poe, played by a man I have always loved in his roles, Cusack. It was interesting to see Cusack's take of an elitist, eccentric and highly intoxicated Poe. There were parts of this movie where I really got into his character. However, it was hard to get past the fact that it was John Cusack playing Poe. It didn't feel like Edgar, just felt like Cusack. That's not a knock, mind you. One of my favorite performers of all time is the immortal John Wayne and he could only play one role, himself.

That said, The Raven was a good thriller although the story does get a bit predictable in this revisionists tale of the last days of Edgar Allan Poe.

So-so

Author: John Wilson from United States
31 March 2013

Thought Cusak portrayed Poe very well, and the visual portrayal of the time in Baltimore of long ago was great. Only was in the theaters for two weeks? Did not think it was quite so bad.

Had problems with certain scenes, such as the man who turned out to be the villain being able to construct the pendulum. That scene was early, and had me leaning towards someone with a high mechanical/science aptitude being the villain- someone who would be able to construct such a contraption. And the scene at the church- was the villain an early Batman physical specimen? Perhaps the best summary is that the film could have been focused more on Poe and those writings he did to help save his Emily, and what was going-on with that, and maybe leave out a couple of the murders. Would say my biggest criticism was for the screenplay and Director's total package. Was gruesome, and did keep one's attention going, but not so sure Poe would have considered it worthy of his talents.

A Genuine Review of The Raven

Author: Aliens2Alien80 88882222 from United States
13 February 2013

The Raven is a 2012 horror film starring John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. So The Raven is about a killer patterning his murders after Poe's books. The Raven suffers from bad acting and overacting, but I think Luke Evans did a fair job. The Raven takes it self a tad to seriously and that is also a main problem. The las complaint is that the reveal is not very satisfying.Some of The Raven's strong points are the kills and the atmosphere it creates.I also wish that they had taken the time to make this more about the chills and less about the gore. Overall this film is good to watch,but you may be a little disappointed. See this flick if you want to see Saw in the 1800s. Skip it if you were looking for a horror flick with more substance and meaning. 6.5/10

A must see movie

Author: Patrick Lockett
4 February 2013

This is a great movie. John Cusacks performance as Edgar Allan Poe was phenomenal. Everything about this movie was fantastic. The visuals, the acting, everything. I went in thinking this movie would be alright but once I got to the end I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed watching it. Unlike other movie pieces that have real world famous people being thrown into unreal circumstances, this movie truly makes you feel it could have happened and that Poes expertise would have been brought in to help the police bring this madman to justice. Some parts do seem a tad modern clichéd set in old times but it still works. Though long it is a must see movie and you don't have to be a fan of Poe to watch it, though after-wards you will feel a compulsion to look up his works and read them.

Interesting and clever

Author: phd_travel from United States
11 January 2013

This is an intricate and fascinating if slightly anti climactic imagining of the events leading to Poe's real life mysterious death. A copycat serial killer murders people a la Poe's stories and he is brought in to help solve the crimes. His girlfriend gets kidnapped by the killer.

Obviously this will appeal to Poe fans. I know a few Poe's more famous stories it is quite fun to watch them appear. And it makes me want to read more of the less famous stories too.

The European filming locations give 19th Century Baltimore an old world feel.

John Cusack looks the part but he tends to resort to inaudible whispers and it ends up feeling like a weaker if less comical version of Nicholas Cage. The rest of the cast is mostly British with good enough accents including Luke Evans competently playing a detective on the case and Alice Eve the romantic interest for Poe.

In some ways this movie succeeds because it has a more real feel than the Sherlock Holmes cases and is quite tense in parts. Where it doesn't do well is the pace drags here and there and the ending is a logical but a bit anti climactic. I can see why it wasn't a huge hit but I think it is worth a watch.

Wonderful Job of Synthesizing Fact and Fiction

Author: Louie Monteagudo from United States
22 December 2012

This movie brought together the depressing and interesting life of Edgar Allan Poe with the thrill of his literature. The exquisit special effects and cinematography made the gruesome murders in the film feel that more tangible. Although there were the occasionally plot holes evident in every movie, the story's quick-pace plot ran smoothly and kept the viewer engrossed in the characters' conflict. The end of the movie was brilliant in the way it detailed a theory about the tragic end to Poe's life. This movie will leave you yearning to discover more about the estranged life of Edgar Allan Poe, and will compel you to read his profound yet thrilling stories.

Edgar Allan Poe's fiction becomes reality.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
8 December 2012

I was expecting more; but John Cusack hardly ever backs down from a challenging role and knows how to make it work. In the mid 1800s a crazed madman begins committing horrific murders in Baltimore. A young Detective Fields(Luke Evans) realizes the string of macabre killings are the work of the same man and seems to be inspired by the short stories of the famous/infamous Edgar Allen Poe(Cusack). Fields manages to convince Poe to join forces in search of the serial killer and put a stop to making fiction into grizzly reality; but the savvy murderer seems to stay a couple of steps ahead of them. Before all this attention, Poe had his woes getting his work published in the local paper. Soon his work is sought, because of the similarity of his work and the rash of murders. The deadly game of cat and mouse takes on a personal tone when the woman Poe worships, Emily(Alice Eve), is the next target. THE RAVEN is dark and twisted; some scenes appear a bit disjointed; but if you have even the least bit of admiration for Poe's work you'll probably be pleased with this flick. Cusack is darn good playing a dead serious Poe. And kudos to Lucas Vidal for his original score. Others in the cast: Brenden Gleeson, Jimmy Yull, Adrian Rawlings, Dave Legeno and Sam Hazeldine.

The sum of the parts is definitely greater than the whole.

Author: Hellmant from United States
28 November 2012

'THE RAVEN': Three Stars (Out of Five)

John Cusack plays legendary writer Edgar Allan Poe in this fictional account of his last days alive in 1849. In this story a killer is imitating Poe's most famous macabre work and it's up to Poe and a Baltimore detective (played by Luke Evans) to stop him. The film was written by actor turned film writer Ben Livingston and writer Hannah Shakespeare. It was directed by James McTeigue (who also directed the stylistic action films 'V FOR VENDETTA' and 'NINJA ASSASSIN') and co-stars Alice Eve and Brendan Gleeson. The movie is somewhat interesting but never delivers quite enough thrills or emotional involvement to make it really memorable or worthwhile.

As the story opens Poe (Cusack) is a poor alcoholic and a shell of the man he once was; constantly struggling to get his work published in the Baltimore paper. He's in love with Emily Hamilton (Eve) and plans to marry her but her father, Captain Hamilton (Gleeson), wants his daughter to have nothing to do with him. When the Baltimore police find a grisly murder scene that resembles the killing from one of Poe's stories Poe is brought in for questioning. When the killer continues to murder victims in ways that seem influenced by Poe's short stories and poems Poe teams with the detective in charge of the case, Detective Fields (Evans), to stop him. Things become especially intense when Emily is kidnapped by the killer.

Unlike some I like the idea of revolving a fictional murder mystery around Edgar Allan Poe's literature and casting Poe as it's lead character. Cusack is especially good as Poe and the rest of the cast is adequate but the characters aren't ever really that fascinating or likable. I do like McTeigue's stylish directing and the murder scenes and atmosphere are nicely done but the story as a whole is lacking. The action for the most part works but by the film's conclusion there's definitely something pretty unsatisfactory about the film going experience as a whole. In the case of this move the sum of the parts is definitely greater than the whole.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9BHpPUnE8

The movie Seven meets Poe

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
24 November 2012

The Raven's storyline is much like the movie Seven. The difference is the murders are inspired by Poe's works. Poe and the police must figure out the crime before his love dies. The story has been told before, but is well executed and told. Well acted and directed movie. The interaction between Poe and the detective creates great drama. I found The Raven entertaining. Poe is worth V O D ing. The movie is a lot like Sherlock Holmes. The background was Maryland but resembled England. John Cusack was trying to be Robert Downing Jr. The end of the movie Poe was poisoned, I wonder if that is how he actually died in real life. I give the movie a seven out of ten.