IMDb > The Raven (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Raven

The Raven More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 20: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Could be darker and needs more energy

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 June 2014

Edgar Allan Poe (John Cusack) is found near death on a park bench in Baltimore on October 7, 1849. Then it flashes back days earlier. There is a serial killer on the loose and detective Fields (Luke Evans) is investigating. Poe is self-obsessed, possibly washed up, may be drinking too much, and is marrying lovely Emily Hamilton (Alice Eve). Fields discovers the similarities between the murders and Poe's writing. Poe becomes a possible suspect or at least the inspiration for the crimes. Emily's father Capt Charles Hamilton (Brendan Gleeson) is in charge. Then Emily is taken and they get a note challenging Poe.

It is dark, moody and grotesque. I wish this could be even darker. John Cusack is going darker than usual but he still has his boyish light charms. It needs more tension and more excitement. I like where this movie is going but I just wish it pushes even harder. Poe may be shocking once upon a time. The blood and guts isn't gruesome anymore. It's very slow at times and Poe doesn't have the energy. This could use a lot more energy.

Murder, mystery and John Cusack as the man in black

Author: dworldeater from United States
9 December 2013

John Cusack goes goth in this heavily stylized suspense thriller. Set in mid 1800's Baltimore, Cusack is legendary horror author Edgar Allan Poe. EAP works with police to catch a serial killer that imitates Poe's literary work and the killer took his woman too. The Raven plays much more like a dark comic book than anything that could happen for real. The Raven is very well shot, very Gothic and very stylized. The sets they built look good and balanced practical and digital f/x well. Performances are pretty solid for the most part. Cusack carried this film as the lead and did a good job I think. The murder scenes are grisly at times, but most of the focus is on story and style. As far as the thriller genre goes, there are a lot of better films. Overall, I dig The Raven. While not a classic in the genre, this is still a good film and you can definitely do worst in my opinion.

Great story, but the movie could have been better...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
10 November 2013

I am a little bit conflicted about what to think and how to feel about "The Raven", now finally having gotten around to watching it.

On one hand, then the storyline was rather good and nicely executed by director James McTeigue. And the story does manage to keep you wrapped in the dark about who is the killer that is using the scenarios from Edgar Allan Poe's literature.

Then on the other hand, it was a little bit too much, to take an iconic figure in the literature and put him into a murder mystery movie, somewhat resembling "Murder, She Wrote" just with a much bigger budget. And also the choice for John Cusack to play Edgar Allan Poe wasn't perhaps the best of choices. Now, don't get me wrong, John Cusack is a great actor and very talented, yes, but he just didn't seem at home or to fit in here in this particular movie or era. Perhaps a better choice would have been on Edward Norton?

Regardless, then "The Raven" is an entertaining movie and it does manage to keep you nailed to the seat right up to the very end. The story progresses at a nice pace, though it could have been great with an occasional twist here and there, instead of just running out a perfectly straight line. As such, then the story tended to come off as rather scripted and forced.

The actors and actresses on the cast list were actually a great ensemble of talents, and people really did bring a lot of personalities and flavor to the movie.

There is a lot of nice details and touches to the movie, and it does seem like the audience is actually right there back in the good old days.

It does bring something to mind, though, that a movie like this can be brought about, then is the next step a murder mystery with Howard Phillips Lovecraft?

promising idea

Author: Armand from Romania
18 October 2013

in high school, I was a kind of fan of Poe. after years, this detail makes to have many and large objections about film. sure, it is not a biographic movie and the recipes of Sherlock Holmes is its axis. in same measure, it is an useful invitation to discover life and work of a great American writer. but... too many clichés. in a smart organization but not always compelling. Brendan Gleeson , who seems be the lookalike of Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Cusack who does a correct, almost impeccable role but he is not Poe, the option for Alice Eve as Emily are few pieces who create only a promising project but not a really good film. the atmosphere, the tension, the biographic details and crumbs of literature are assets of film but it remains common, gray, bone of a sparkle industry. and bad thing is the to ignore the potential of basic story. but the second chance is always alive.

I wanted to like it

Author: armandomontelongo715 from United States
24 May 2013

Hollywood has always tried to give us visual retellings of the works of Edgar Allan Poe. I was excited when reading about the Raven, seeing it as a combination of all Poe's most memorable works. It also stars one of my favorite actors from my younger days in John Cusack. That all being said, it just felt like it had all been done before. I had the end of the story figured out about a half hour into the film and spent the rest of the movie trying to close up the loopholes to the mystery before the film did.

The cast was good. I thought Luke Evans was great as the curious and never satisfied Detective Fields. Alice Eve, as always, was breathtaking as the helpless heroine Emily. Then we come to Poe, played by a man I have always loved in his roles, Cusack. It was interesting to see Cusack's take of an elitist, eccentric and highly intoxicated Poe. There were parts of this movie where I really got into his character. However, it was hard to get past the fact that it was John Cusack playing Poe. It didn't feel like Edgar, just felt like Cusack. That's not a knock, mind you. One of my favorite performers of all time is the immortal John Wayne and he could only play one role, himself.

That said, The Raven was a good thriller although the story does get a bit predictable in this revisionists tale of the last days of Edgar Allan Poe.

So-so

Author: John Wilson from United States
31 March 2013

Thought Cusak portrayed Poe very well, and the visual portrayal of the time in Baltimore of long ago was great. Only was in the theaters for two weeks? Did not think it was quite so bad.

Had problems with certain scenes, such as the man who turned out to be the villain being able to construct the pendulum. That scene was early, and had me leaning towards someone with a high mechanical/science aptitude being the villain- someone who would be able to construct such a contraption. And the scene at the church- was the villain an early Batman physical specimen? Perhaps the best summary is that the film could have been focused more on Poe and those writings he did to help save his Emily, and what was going-on with that, and maybe leave out a couple of the murders. Would say my biggest criticism was for the screenplay and Director's total package. Was gruesome, and did keep one's attention going, but not so sure Poe would have considered it worthy of his talents.

A Genuine Review of The Raven

Author: Aliens2Alien80 88882222 from United States
13 February 2013

The Raven is a 2012 horror film starring John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. So The Raven is about a killer patterning his murders after Poe's books. The Raven suffers from bad acting and overacting, but I think Luke Evans did a fair job. The Raven takes it self a tad to seriously and that is also a main problem. The las complaint is that the reveal is not very satisfying.Some of The Raven's strong points are the kills and the atmosphere it creates.I also wish that they had taken the time to make this more about the chills and less about the gore. Overall this film is good to watch,but you may be a little disappointed. See this flick if you want to see Saw in the 1800s. Skip it if you were looking for a horror flick with more substance and meaning. 6.5/10

A must see movie

Author: Patrick Lockett
4 February 2013

This is a great movie. John Cusacks performance as Edgar Allan Poe was phenomenal. Everything about this movie was fantastic. The visuals, the acting, everything. I went in thinking this movie would be alright but once I got to the end I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed watching it. Unlike other movie pieces that have real world famous people being thrown into unreal circumstances, this movie truly makes you feel it could have happened and that Poes expertise would have been brought in to help the police bring this madman to justice. Some parts do seem a tad modern clichéd set in old times but it still works. Though long it is a must see movie and you don't have to be a fan of Poe to watch it, though after-wards you will feel a compulsion to look up his works and read them.

Interesting and clever

Author: phd_travel from United States
11 January 2013

This is an intricate and fascinating if slightly anti climactic imagining of the events leading to Poe's real life mysterious death. A copycat serial killer murders people a la Poe's stories and he is brought in to help solve the crimes. His girlfriend gets kidnapped by the killer.

Obviously this will appeal to Poe fans. I know a few Poe's more famous stories it is quite fun to watch them appear. And it makes me want to read more of the less famous stories too.

The European filming locations give 19th Century Baltimore an old world feel.

John Cusack looks the part but he tends to resort to inaudible whispers and it ends up feeling like a weaker if less comical version of Nicholas Cage. The rest of the cast is mostly British with good enough accents including Luke Evans competently playing a detective on the case and Alice Eve the romantic interest for Poe.

In some ways this movie succeeds because it has a more real feel than the Sherlock Holmes cases and is quite tense in parts. Where it doesn't do well is the pace drags here and there and the ending is a logical but a bit anti climactic. I can see why it wasn't a huge hit but I think it is worth a watch.

Wonderful Job of Synthesizing Fact and Fiction

Author: Louie Monteagudo from United States
22 December 2012

This movie brought together the depressing and interesting life of Edgar Allan Poe with the thrill of his literature. The exquisit special effects and cinematography made the gruesome murders in the film feel that more tangible. Although there were the occasionally plot holes evident in every movie, the story's quick-pace plot ran smoothly and kept the viewer engrossed in the characters' conflict. The end of the movie was brilliant in the way it detailed a theory about the tragic end to Poe's life. This movie will leave you yearning to discover more about the estranged life of Edgar Allan Poe, and will compel you to read his profound yet thrilling stories.