IMDb > Red Riding Hood (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Red Riding Hood More at IMDbPro »

Fun and exciting - go see it

Author: phd_travel from United States
15 March 2011

Ignore the critics who didn't like this movie - it's very enjoyable. The story is good. The blending of the existing fairy tale into an exciting adventure is very well done. And the plot isn't annoying. The edgier thriller like twists to the story are quite fun. Yet it keeps to a medieval village feel. Liked the dance scene.

Catherine Hardwicke is an exciting fast paced director. There are no wasted scenes or draggy moments. She creates a beautiful atmospheric backdrop for the story. I think she did a great job in the original Twilight when she found a fantastic cast and set the suitable tone. There are some similarities to Twilight like the 2 suitors for 1 damsel. And the wolf is a bit like Twilight.

Some of the actors are well cast. Virginia Madsen looks the part and a bit like Amanda so she is just right as her mother. Billy Burke is quite good as the woodcutter father. Amanda Seyfried as Valerie looks like a fairytale maiden - she doesn't look so bug eyed in this movie. Julie Christie is a fascinating grandmother and Gary Oldman is watchable in his inquisitorial role.

Main fault: The 2 male romantic leads lack charisma. Shiloh Fernandez as Peter resembles Joaquin Phoenix and is just a bit too unattractive for the role. Even though he is supposed to be a simple woodcutter they should have chosen someone more appealing. Chemistry was lacking with Amanda. Max Irons as Henry is a bit daft looking and tentative in his acting. But this doesn't matter since the movie is more a fantasy adventure and the romance isn't that central to it.

Overall - very enjoyable - it is as well done as it could have been.

Loved it!

Author: Lev TV from Greece
23 May 2013

Amanda Seyfried + fairy tale twist . What is not to like? Nevertheless,I sat to watch it cause I heard it would be more of a thriller than a romance and I am glad I did.I loved it! A good plot,a werewolf that is actually a monster,good acting and small doses of storytelling.

The "who dun it" or better "who is it" feeling was preserved all the way till the end of the movie.And yeah I found who was the werewolf,right before it was shown us,although it might have been a lucky guess. :P Beautiful sceneries and good direction created a nice flow in this fairy tale twist.

Fairy tale twists fan or not,watch it and you 'll enjoy it.

I consider it the best of its kind out there and I hope more similar production will be on their way.

And so they butchered, happily ever after...

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
17 December 2012

"Grandma, what botox-filled lips you have!" "That's so I can still get movie roles at the age of 70."

"And, Grandma, what ridiculous face-lifts you paid for!" "That's so I can look even scarier than the werewolf."

"But, Grandma, what a sagging neck you still have!" "That's coz the damn doctors still can't fix that one yet."

RRH's grandmother, played by Julie Christie, and RRH's mother, played by Virginia Madsen, both live "at the edge of a dark forest" just like everyone else – and yet both Grandma and Mom manage to get regular cosmetic surgery performed on them. Might there perhaps be a certified plastic surgeon living near this wee medieval village? And what currency does he charge his clients with? Does Christie, his most regular customer, pay him in sheep or pigs? Hiring a facially deformed woman that looks like a typical surgery-ravaged, aging Hollywood actress, i.e. totally unnatural and not at all "granny-like" in the classic sense, is one of the many diseases of modern movies. Still, it's one thing to hire these tight-faced monstrosities in modern settings – but to hire them in fairy tales and historical movies verges on outright stupidity, not just bad taste.

Another casting screw-up was getting Lucas Haas, an incompetent nepotist actor, to portray Father Auguste – of all people. Does this baby-faced, milky-looking Momma's boy look anything like the village priest to anyone? He's 35 years old here, granted, but looks like a 14 year-old boy.

The one major advantage of having a medieval setting in a horror film is that for once we are spared from watching the following scene: Soon-to-be-dead Teen 1: "Somebody phone for help!" Soon-to-be-dead Teen 2: "I can't… There seems to be no signal here." I think I've heard this verbal exchange in the last 38 (modern) horror films I'd seen. "RRH" finally breaks this annoying streak, and for that I thank the movie.

These villagers just can't get a decent break. As if it weren't bad enough that they live in an age devoid of tennis, internet, and reality TV, but then a bloodthirsty werewolf starts harassing them, munching up their livestock for a period of 20 years, and then things get even worse when the villagers hire an even worse evil, played by Gary Oldman, to get rid of it. Trying to dispose of one evil by hiring an even bigger one: sort of like inviting Communists to help you get rid of Nazis. God knows "liberation" can come at a high price if you don't know your "liberators" well enough; certainly a message we can all learn from.

The movie may have a useful - if probably unintentional moral relating to Nazis and Commies – but it does start off with some nonsense:

1) "I barely knew him," says RRH, referring to Henry. But he lives only a few cottages away from you, Red, in a village of several hundred people (tops). And he's your age, honey. How the hell did you manage to not notice him for 18 entire years? This ain't New York City, honey.

2) "They said the wolf killed entire families… Only now is it starting to become real to me," says RRH. Only NOW? So you've lived all your life in a village that has been harassed by a savage murdering beast, and yet during all that time the threat had never felt real to you? Red, you goofy putz. Perhaps if you hadn't wasted so much time on slaughtering innocent bunnies then maybe you would have noticed the ever-present menace, dear.

3) "By my marrying Henry, my parents finally get what they always wanted: money," says RRH. Exactly what kind of wealth can one have in this sleepy little, primitive, fictional quasi-Ren-fest village? Perhaps Henry's family has three pigs and one goose more than RRH's family, but that's about it; hardly worth giving your daughter away for marriage, is it.

4) The early big-bad-wolf-is-dead celebration dance: it was like watching a cross between a day at a Ren-fest, a dumb MTV video, and a group of Ewoks gathered around a fire celebrating George Lucas.

We also have a people here unusually resistant to cold weather. Nothing hints at fake Hollywood snow as much as all the characters being dressed as if they were deep into Spring.

Nevertheless, once the silly first 20-30 minutes are over, the movie does get better. It is as much a classic whodunit as it is a horror film, though, the culprit turning out to be – in the finest/sneaky Agatha Christie tradition – the person you least suspected. Or am I a total shmuck for failing to foresee the final plot-twist?

And so they lived happily ever after, butchering innocent people when the Moon was full, and they had many babies that were werewolves too, and they continued the savagery well into old age until the family had amassed a pile of corpses as tall as Babylon…

It's strange that they tried to sell us the hooking up of RRH and Siobhan as a happy ending. What a bizarre thing to do.

It had its moments, but in overall not all that great...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
11 November 2012

Right, this movie had an interesting trailer back in the day before it was released, though I never got around to watching it before the following year. And with good reason, I might add, now that I have seen the movie.

It was an interesting enough take on the classic Red Riding Hood tale, but of course in the wake of the crapfest that is "Twilight", they just had to mix in that particular teenage lovefest element, didn't they? And I am sure that it went straight home if you are a little teenage girl dreaming about big, dark, and dangerous creatures that look like a human, but quite aren't human. But for the rest of us, the ones that have developed just a hint of common sense, then this movie was sort of a slap in the face.

Visually, the movie was great. I enjoyed the costumes and the village that they had built. But then they destroyed it all by adding pseudo-techno music as the score to the movie. What the... Seriously? Couldn't they have chosen something more suitable for the period in which the movie was supposed to take place. Having a 13th or 14th century settlement shown while pseudo-techno was blasting through the speakers just didn't really go hand-in-hand.

And while we are on topics that didn't work well. What was the deal with the character Peter's hair? Everyone else had hairstyles that looked proper for the time in which the story was told, but Peter had 21st Century hairstyle that so obviously was kept upright with hair gel. It was a fail of epic proportions. But of course, why not cash in on that horrible phenomena that is known as "Twilight" and have someone run around with hair similar to that Edward Cullen guy? It was just horrible to look at.

Story-wise, then "Red Riding Hood" actually did it well enough. It was a good take on the classic tale, and they had managed to incorporate the tale well into a more dark and sinister storyline. It worked out well enough, and the story was helped along by some adequate acting performances. Of course, most noticeably here, was Gary Oldman. There were some great moments throughout the story and it was interesting. I liked the fact that they managed to keep you guessing at who was the werewolf, that was a nice part on the director's side. And when it finally was revealed, it was actually a good moment as clarity was suddenly illuminating the story.

One thing that I didn't really enjoy was the werewolf. Sure it moved nicely enough, but it was kept too much in the dark. When I watch a movie, especially a movie that has any kind of monsters in it, I want to see the creatures and the monsters. I don't just want to sit and watch it draped in darkness and shadows, getting only outlines or hints of what it is. That is just fooling the viewers and keeping us lead around by the nose.

"Red Riding Hood" had potential but it failed greatly to appeal to a mature audience. This is a teenage love-romance movie with a twist of darkness and wickedness to it. Great if you like stuff such as "Twilight", but not all that great for us proper movie aficionados. What would have been interesting would be having Tim Burton put his unique artistic touch to this tale.

Red Riding Hood - 0.5 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
20 October 2012

So this is what you get when you insert the Twilight characters into a children's fairy tale. "Red Riding Hood" is a wannabe horror movie starring dumb and lifeless teenagers who are tremendously drunk with hormones. Alcohol may produce better behaviors.

The setting is a medieval village in the woods. A girl named Valerie stands out from the crowd because she wears a bright red cape and because she is played by Amanda Seyfried. Right across her is Peter, the hunky wood chopper. His face appears to be stuck in a state of no emotion. Even when he's really mad, we can't feel a single thing. I think it's a talent.

Peter is like a less pale and less sparkly version of Edward Cullen, whose hair is so perfectly in place we begin to think real hard as to where he got his hair care merchandises. In a scene where Valerie and Peter are about to part ways, Peter steps backwards real slow, making sure that she gets a good look at his pretty face. Why Valerie, what vain men you have.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/red-riding-hood/

Surprised!

Author: sredsha from South Africa
28 May 2012

I watched this movie expecting something along the lines of the Twilight series. I was pleasantly surprised.

The narrative is fresh and inventive. It kept you in suspense throughout the entire movie.

Harwicke could have easily opted to show the narrative in it original form yet she chose to give us something different.

The settings are dark yet beautiful. The acting was adequate. I was a little disappointed with the performance of Gary Oldman and the conclusion at the end of the movie,but these prove to be minor trivialities.

On a whole this a roller coaster suspense ride that is a good view if you wish to pass time.

Who's afraid of the big bad werewolf.

Author: kevinxirau from United States
18 April 2012

And I thought "Hoodwinked" was crazy enough. This is definitely one of the most unexpected, and creative, interpretations of the classic fairy tale. It basically took what was essentially a harmless children's story and turned it into a creepy mystery/monster movie. My interest was instantly sparked the moment I saw the trailer to this movie and it has lived up to most of my expectations.

Plot: The village of Daggerhorn has lived under the fear of a ruthless werewolf for years and when it has finally killed someone, the townsfolk have had enough. Some believe in taking justice into their own hands by killing the beast while others support a visiting werewolf hunter (Gary Oldman) with questionable sanity. To make matters worse, the wolf seems unusually focused on Valerie a.k.a. Red Riding Hood (Amanda Seyfried), who has her own problems with the love triangle she's in, leading people to suspect Valerie as well as her friends and family. Since the werewolf can be anyone, tensions rise and the monster's attacks become more violent. Will the killing stop and why does the wolf want poor Valerie? The mystery begins!

I love how this movie messes with your mind because it keeps you guessing on which person could be the big bad wolf. The chaos is furthered with Gary Oldman's character Father Solomon being insanely determined to kill the creature by any means necessary. Amanda Seyfried's performance as Valerie is pretty interesting and you do basically feel for her as she struggles with her life, and love life, while the madness is occurring around her. The big bad werewolf himself is an awesome and scary creature as he is utterly merciless and remorseless in what he does and his voice has a menacing quality.

There are a few things to nitpick around here. Seeing as how this was made by Catherine Hardwicke who directed "Twilight", you can see some obvious influences by the best-selling series by how certain characters look (you'll know who I'm talking about), the werewolf looking very much like the ones from twilight, and the love triangle going on here between Valerie and these two guys Henry and Peter. There's also an exceptionally corny dream scene near the end, which you'll have to see for yourself to understand what I mean by "corny". And just on a smaller note, I would have liked to have seen the werewolf a little more.

While this movie does have a few problems, it's still an entertaining movie and one of my favorite werewolf films. I certainly had fun with it and I do recommend that you check it out just for the thrill and the mystery. Be sure to bring silver with you.

an interesting film and worth watching

Author: robito from United Kingdom
14 March 2012

I just decided to watch this film despite so many bad reviews because I liked the idea of a modern telling of Red Riding Hood.

The first thing I noticed as the film started was some very nice cinematography. Then some pretty bad acting. Followed by some impressive wooden houses in a village that looks really nice even though it is also obviously a set.

The female director also directed Twilight and comparisons have been made. Yes, it does have that Twilight 'teenagery' feel to it but not as much as Twilight because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to stomach this film, never-mind enjoy it (which I did).

This film reminded me more of something Joss Whedon might do. I really love Buffy, Angel and Joss Whedon stuff in general, but you have to admit that the budget was not the highest and the acting was not always amazing.

The pace of this film is good though. It never gets boring and I don't agree that it was trying to do too many things at once. Why is it that if a film has more than one storyline or is not completely linear, American audiences complain? Are you really that thick? Sorry brothers from another mother, but the first Mission Impossible was brilliant BECAUSE it was complicated and it was criticised for its strength. Mission Impossible 2 was rubbish, and yet it was a box office smash.

I don't get you guys some times.

If producer Leonardo DiCaprio had picked some better actors to be in this film, I would have given it an 8 out of 10.

As it is, I can't say it is bad enough for a 6 so it scrapes a 7.

Really it should be 6 and three quarters of something daft like that because the low budget doesn't excuse that 'plastic' feeling when it comes to sets and acting ability.

There are enough people out there in the world who want to make it in the acting world that all the handsome actors out there can't be as bad as Shiloh Fernandez who plays Peter, the twilight-style love interest for Red Riding Hood aka Valerie (sorry mate. got nothing against you personally but maybe acting isn't your thing? But then again, acting wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger's thing either and it got him a place as Governor of California. Your name is cool if that helps).

Max Irons as Henry, Valerie's mother and father, and all of Valerie's friends in the village don't do a very good job either.

Amanda Seyfried does pretty okay as Valerie, Gary Oldman does well with the role he has, but I found Julie Christie as the Grandmother to be the most engrossing. She was really good to watch.

The important thing is that I did get past the bad acting (we managed to survive Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter) and did start to get sucked into the story ...

Who is the wolf? What is going on here? The ending was also obvious enough that my mum would have worked it out in the first half an hour, but clever enough that I thought 'of course' but never got it.

There is a review here from 12 March 2011 by M Smith that I read and agree with. This is not a modern bedtime fairy tale telling of Red Riding Hood. This is a really interesting modern telling of a traditional folktale.

Interesting twist but not catching enough

Author: Wendy Yd New Style from Netherlands
26 January 2012

This adaptation was interesting but in my opinion does not sufficiently focus on one catching dilemma. A classic interpretation is about losing innocence. By making it into a "thiller" and try to increase suspension by using several story lines, scatters the overall attention and makes it actually boring. The audience can't journey with the main characters.

The movie is beautifully filmed: the setting is breath taking and the production design looks authentic. The acting is good. Maybe there were too many great actors who didn't have enough opportunity to use their talents and interact with each other.

Worth watching in it's genre but not as catching as it could have been.

Movie is clearly an allegory

Author: (Borag@in.gr) from Greece
15 October 2011

OK because i read plenty bad reviews about this movie i *d like to submit my own thoughts about it. *CAUTION CONTAINS SPOILERS*

First off granted its a big turnoff to see 2 cute clean-cut male teen/early adults that exactly use same haircut and appearance as you 'd expect to see in the usual vampire romantic series like vampire diaries or twilight saga (well the director is here the obvious connection sadly and should have thought a bit more on the looks of this set in a fantasy unspecified past as it is that at a village like this they would be grittier looking etc).

Still Garry Oldman 's Ahab-like fixation makes for a good take on a typical investigation turned into a witch hunt and is quite accommodating the whole setting adding to the style of the "era".

The lead role is quite well played in my opinion and at least the movie has good cinematography and lighting although music is at times unfit for the scene.

The movie i 'd categorize as far as plot-wise closest to Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow or Christoff Gans Brotherhood of the Wolf in the sense of it being a sort of a mystery thriller with a supernatural motif but less heavy in its twists and lighter on the characters depth but also the movie is a nice take on the allegory of the red riding hood story in general.

There are many suggested explanations about the red riding hood tale ( feel free to check wikipedia about some of them) and i know for a fact that psychology students are told some of them in class. Two i 'd like to mention (apart of the obvious warning of molesters and rapists meaning) is that the myth is a metaphor on female pass from child to womanhood either with the cape color symbolizing menstruation (biological growth) or virginity (sexual growth).Personally i think this movie chooses to go more Freud by delving into the theme of the change that transpires in the mind of a girl that grows to the point that a lover replaces the ideal male role model that so far was represented by people who resemble the father figure she known.Thats evidenced by the last quarter of movie and movie finale. Seen in that light i think the movie has a little psychological game in it too that of course is a bit covered and sidetracked by the usual false leads every "mystery" has and i believe its amazing so many people only seen " classical corny horror cliché scenes" in it (to summarize an amalgamation of most negative descriptions of this movie i read).

All in all seen this way its not a bad way t o spend 2 hours in my book.

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
8 October 2011

Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight) directed this take on the fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood, catered to the teen audience of the Twilight films, starring the gorgeous Amanda Seyfried as Valerie, daughter to an impoverished family and promised (against her will) to a more "prominent" (as you can be in an isolated village in the middle of nowhere) son of an ironsmith, Henry (Max Irons), although she loves poor woodcutter, Peter (Shiloh Fernandez; Deadgirl). Meanwhile, a werewolf attacks and kills Valerie's sister, spurning a hunt for the beast responsible. The young priest in the village (Lukas Haas) calls for a well renowned werewolf hunter, Father Solomon (Gary Oldman), to help rid them of the werewolf in their midst. Believing they killed the wolf (an ordinary gray wolf), the town, at first, doesn't feel Solomon's services are required, but, boy, are they mistaken… Sumptuously photographed by Mandy Walker, with picturesque locations in British Columbia, Canada, featuring snowy mountains and wintry forests, "Red Riding Hood" is definitely aesthetically pleasing on a visual level, and Hardwicke utilizes the red of fire in lighting wood houses particularly well. And the color red (as it works in concert with the white winter backdrop) is a visual Hardwicke never fails to exploit on a stylistic level, mainly when Valerie wears the titular hood (which seems to extend several feet), dragging it or bowing to the ground (you can see Hardwicke takes special care to have the hooded garment unfold a certain way for optimum effect). Yes, the plot is a soap opera for the Twilight crowd, but I would lie if I said the film didn't capture my attention through its handsome production and art design. I was hooked by the look, even if the plot did nothing for me. Seyfried, like the location, envelopes me; I adore this young woman and the camera worships her.

The plot is basically of the "ten little Indians" variety where the great mystery is the identity of the werewolf. We learn that the werewolf wants Valerie to come away with him so it could be Peter, Henry, or any number of possible suspects. At first an innocent is thought to be the wolf (just because he has a deck of cards and knows a trick, Solomon thinks he might be of the devil), a mute village idiot, punished by Solomon for not telling him who the werewolf is. Soon Valerie (after hearing the thoughts of the werewolf, his actually speaking to her does tell us that something is unique about Valerie as it pertains to the creature) is suspected as a witch and used by Solomon as bait for the werewolf. Her men will attempt to rescue Valerie—but can anyone save her from the werewolf? The film even casts doubt towards grandmother, when Valerie has a spooky nightmare uttering the familiar dialogue, "What big eyes you have. What big ears you have…" not to mention a certain exchange between her and Henry that offers her as a suspect. Peter is obvious from the get-go a suspect, but anyone with half a brain will consider him too easy a red herring. Henry basically is under a cloud of doubt due to Valerie's sister's death and his own desire to have her for himself (and the fact that he is gallant and cares deeply for her, enough to let her free from having to marry him). Of course, Gary Oldman is sadly a cliché, the religious fanatic who waltzes into village with an intimidating entourage of soldiers in armor, an elephant cast in silver for prisoners that might be suspected as werewolves (or know who a werewolf is), and willing to do whatever it takes to "kill the beast", in the name of the Great Almighty. I don't think anyone will mourn his fate, because he casts a tyrannical net around the village after a werewolf attack during a celebration allows him the reason to do so. Essentially the plot has a romantic entanglement as Valerie is desired by two young hunks and a werewolf; she is the central focus of the plot and her safety is always in peril (or is it?). A major point of this film is that everyone has secrets, forced marriages absent love, the knowledge that your loved one is a werewolf yet you keep it hidden, etc...the dangerous threat of the film derives from how all these secrets matter in regards to Valerie.

Like This Movie Or Not Kiddies, Welcome To The Hood

Author: johnstonjames from United States
17 September 2011

i'm a big fan of the Red Riding Hood story so of course i came into this film with partiality. having been a long time fan of children's stories and fairy tales before it became trendy, i felt i would probably be a better judge of this film than most.

first of all, i have a lot of respect for amateur film critics on the internet and find some of the most insightful reviews are often by film buffs rather than professional critics, but i must say i get a little dismayed at the pretentiousness of many online reviewers. i mean get real. leave the pretentiousness to professional, mainstream critics and become a little more sincere about things. being constantly negative about lesser films doesn't make you insightful or appear smart. it just makes you sound spoiled rotten and intolerant. can we please start calling the "hyperbole" group on their stupid "worst movie ever" claim. it's hyperbole and is so over used it's become a cliché. please stop saying "worst ever". it makes you sound dumb. not even Simon Cowell can bring off that phony, snobbish, hyperbole without sounded like THE BIGGEST MORON EVER! it makes a lot of you sound like phony, baloney snobs and is not becoming for a average, down to earth person. i mean most of us are common folk and that kind of pretentious snobbery is beneath us. please cut it out because i believe a lot of you are smarter than that.

okay, reprimand aside, i really enjoyed this film. and hey, i'm a fairy tale fan and that does account for something whether you are too arrogant to admit that or not. i don't even like those mushy, girly-poo 'Twilight' movies. to be honest i've only seen parts of those movies and never have seen one through. but what i've seen of the 'Twilight' films always seems so babyish and juvenile. i suppose i would like a 'Twilight' movie if i was a twelve year old juvenile girl, but as a 49 year old male i think they are icky, cootie filled mush. i don't watch em cause i don't wanna catch cooties. i thought cindy hardy-ick or whatever the director's name is did a decent job with this. the photography and production design were quite good and i thought Amanda Seyfried was excellent in this. she made a perfect little Red. she may not be gorgeous beautiful or anything, but she is awfully cute and seems so sweet and is a really fine actress. and you are not doing half bad when the central character delivers a top notch performance in your film.

i really liked this film but it did not come without flaws. i thought the psychology was a little heavy handed and ultimately kind of shallow. i also thought they made poor use of the encounter with grandma-ma. "what big eyes and teeth you have granny" is such a essential point in the whole Riding Hood story that it should not have been passed over and neglected to this extent. i also thought the whole "you are mah father" was such a "Darth Vader' contrivance. i mean we all seen dat one before.zzzzzZZZZZ. and a lot of the "OMG this is soooo 'Twilight'" complaint was not totally a wrong evaluation of this. the film is basically for teen age and young girls.

still i thoroughly enjoyed the fun here. however i still prefer the Joey "fat one" Fatone version better and thought the Stephen Lawrence musical version to be superior to this. and as far as 'The Company of Wolves" is concerned, there is no equal to Neil Jordan's brilliant cinema classic. even the Three little piggy version is better and i kinda like the Bugs Bunny one a little more than this.

people think my recommendations for children are weird and don't get it, but this is a good film for kids. there's really no swearing or potty mouthed cussing in this, and very little blood shed violence and only a suggestion of sex. what more do you want for kids? this film was practically a "G" rating as far as i'm concerned.

all in all i liked this version and thought Seyfried was excellent. and any chance to see Julie Christie is a opportunity. i did think this film could have used a little more humour and tongue in cheek. maybe at one point while walking through the woods, Mandy Seyfried should have burst out singing, "da da da da da da da da da' and bumped into Bugs Bunny. we'd all freak out huh? could ya see it huh? could ya? instead Mandy Red just kills a bunny in cold blood.

Not as bad as others seem to think

Author: jhs3-134-201076 from United States
11 September 2011

I didn't expect much, especially from a dollar rental, but I got more than I expected. Obviously, a retelling of a children's tale. A bit more adult. Blood, death ... not a children's movie. It's a fantasy, and nothing more. Take it on that level, and you can find entertainment for a couple of hours. The actors did OK. IMO the worst actor was Mr. Oldman - he was over the top, overacting. Most of the others pretended to be the character. I was not surprised when the bad guy was revealed, but then, it wasn't telegraphed too early, either. Someone seemed to spend a bit of money on the sets. They were a little more elaborate than a low budget movie would normally have. An OK movie. For a buck...

Better to see this movie my dear....

Author: Siobhan Miller from United Kingdom
7 September 2011

Red Riding Hood, a movie directed by Catherine Hardwicke, was thrilling and intense and provided an audience with a 'who is it' plot.

The setting of Red Riding Hood is in a small village at the edge of a dark forest of Daggerhorn. Valerie, the main female protagonist is in love with a lumberjack Peter, however her mother has promised her hand in marriage to that of the wealthy Henry. You soon learn how the villagers have a pact with wolves, offering them animals to satisfy their appetite when there is a full moon. When Valerie's older sister is slaughtered by the wolf, the villagers decide to chase and hunt it to its lair. However, when the villagers believe they have killed the wolf, it is not until Father Soloman arrives in the village, that they discover the wolf actually lives amongst them.

Whilst watching Red Riding Hood, i couldn't help but be reminded of 'The Village.' They both portray the same kind of eerie premise and atmosphere. They also have similarities such as both towns being terrorised by something unknown to man, and the towns folks terrified of what was going to happen next.

Because Red Riding Hood was publicised as a film directed by that of 'Twilight,' it was hard not to compare the two films together, especially when they had similar themes running throughout the narrative. Both have a female as the main protagonist, caught up in a romantic whirlwind.

The set used in this film was beautiful, portraying a variety of landscapes both vast and humble. But the highlight in this film as a member of the audience is the suspense and mystery which it provides. It constantly leaves you guessing, and your mind constantly changes as to who you actually think is the identity of the wolf terrifying this medieval village Daggerhorn .

This movie was successful in playing with an audience's emotions, and keeps you guessing as to who is the wolf right up to the very ending. Not only is it entertaining, but its very interesting indeed. Well worth the watch.

Not bad, Hardwicke

Author: Gerardbutlerlady from United States
7 August 2011

I've always been a fan of Amanda Seyfried. She has always been diverse and amusing. I was rather cautious before seeing this film though. After Hardwicke's directing job on Twilight, I was pretty put off. When I saw this film, I was absolutely blown away. The costumes were outstanding, the actors mesmerizing, (i don't think I could ever complain about Shiloh Fernandez) and the plot throwing twists all the time. By the end, I was completely shocked about who the wolf really was. The only problem I had with the film was obvious modern dialog (Like the word okay, which wasn't used until the 1800's, though the film claimed to be set in the 1300's.) Other than that, the movie was great. I'm a 17 year old girl, so I don't know if middle aged men would enjoy it, but it makes my top 25 favorite movies!

A fun movie

Author: JoeB131 from United States
18 July 2011

Not sure who the audience was for this, exactly. It's a pretty well made movie, not cheap. I think they were trying to cash in on the Twilight vibe by stealing yet more dignity from another classic movie monster.

So living in a town where everything has been apparently sharpened to a point because OSHA hasn't been invented yet, villagers sacrifice livestock every full moon to keep the wolf at bay. Except the wolf kills the sister of the heroine, and we get the twists and turns of a medieval soap opera complete with Gary Oldman playing yet another villainous character.

Still, the action was pretty good and kept me guessing until the end of the movie who the wolf might have been.

Ignore the snooty critics. Rent this movie, put your brain on autopilot and have a good time.

good

Author: charlie from United Kingdom
11 July 2011

So I don't think that its really a guy film personally, so if you are expecting tonnes of blood and guts this isn't the film to watch. its more like a chick flick with a bit of suspense and slight gore. I thought it was rather good myself. I would definitely watch it again. I really liked the ending :) I think that it was brilliantly made in the sense that it can be watched by a wide age group and there is something for everyone unless you are a hardened horror film watcher in which case this will disappoint you greatly which I think is the reason why a lot of people seem not to like it. It's been categorised incorrectly. Brilliant acting, I kept on guessing the whole way through the film and still got it wrong at the end, in my opinion that is what makes a good film. (I have not read the book and this is purely based on the film alone)

Not as Bad as I Thought

Author: movielova201 from United States
28 June 2011

I needed a movie to rent and this was the only one i haven't seen on the on demand menu. I heard it was terrible so i was reluctant. I decided to rent it and i was very surprised! The movie is not THAT bad. It's definitely not the best, but it was quite entertaining. It kept me guessing until the end. The only thing about this movie is the director is AWFUL. She directed the first twilight film and I thought that was a major FAIL. I'm a LOVER of the Brothers Grimm stories so it definitely had a creepy edge.

If you have nothing else to do, renting this movie isn't such a bad thing. I was very entertained. Of course it didn't have the quality of CLASSICS but it was entertaining.

PLus the characters are hot so I can't complain

Why grandma...what big clichés you have!

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
16 June 2011

I love it when movie studios redo classic fairy tales and give them a modern twist. One of the better ones I seen was Snow White: A Tale of Terror with Sigourney Weaver and Sam Neill. Lately though, the studios have been trying to get the teen girls involved, so they add love triangles and forbidden desires. Such is the tale of this re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood, directed by Twilight's Catherine Hardwicke. There are no shortages of Twilight similarities here. Pretty girl, handsome guy, another handsome guy, werewolves, sappy music, I'm beginning to wonder if that movie affected Catherine's brain.

Valerie (Seyfried) is torn between two men: Peter (Fernandez) and Henry (Irons). She loves Peter but she is engaged to Henry. Her mother (Madsen) urges her to marry Henry so they can be well off. Her father (Burke) is oblivious to any ongoing transgressions. After a wolf attack in town, Father Auguste (Haas) calls upon Father Solomon (Oldman) to find the werewolf. From there, the film morphs from a love story to a mystery -- a wolf hunt, if you will.

What I loved the most about this movie was the amazing photography. Visually stunning. It's worth watching for that fact alone. I also enjoyed Gary Oldman's character -- hell, I like him in practically anything. He's fun to watch and never fails to entertain us. I also liked the mystery aspect of the movie. It brought an old-fashioned sense of 'whodunit' back to the cinema, that was nice.

Besides the many clichés the film throws in our faces with the love triangle and obvious dialog, we're also supposed to believe that they have styling mousse or gel back in the 1800's? More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: C

Gorgeous but Very Flawed

Author: princebansal1982 from U.S.A.
15 June 2011

It seems that movie was going in two many directions. The setting is generic fairy tale setting with swords. But the hairstyle, the makeup and mores and behaviors of people belongs to current time. Which has a kind of jarring feel. It seems that everybody wants to mimic Twilight. Oh wait ! It is the same director. So of course, she is trying to mimic Twilight. But Twilight is set in modern times and this in medieval times, so trying the same stuff here doesn't really works.

The visuals are gorgeous. The filmmakers have been able to create an interesting and lively world of their own. I don't know why they don't use better actors. Shiloh Fernandez as Peter is just atrocious. But even with good actors there is lot of stuff that is weighing the movie down.

--SPOILERS FOLLOW-- I really wanted to like this movie. If nothing else but for visuals. But near the end Amanda Seyfried's character kills her father because he is a werewolf. But spares her boyfriend even though he is going to become a werewolf. Why ? That was maddening, because just a short while before they had shown that she stabbed her boyfriend because she suspects he is werewolf. But now that she knows for sure that he will actually become one, it is somehow okay and even romantic a la Twilight. Do you think that the audience are morons.

movie was OK

Author: kymoviefan from United States
13 June 2011

I was a little disappointed in the movie, at times it was slow and had no real plot line. The best part of the movie was they kept you guessing till the very end who the werewolf was. I think they could of done a better job with movie if they had a better director. I think she tried to blend to much twilight into the script. At the end of the movie i could of swore i was watching what could of been the ending for a twilight movie. They had a good chance of making a really great movie and they blew it. Poor choice on the actors and the director. It was a lot of hype and at the end of the movie i felt a real let down on what could of been a really great movie.

not a great movie, but a fun one

Author: random4ever from New York City, United State
11 June 2011

its nothing special, its very funny at times tho its mostly from the script and characters being way out of touch. the funniest part of the film is village dance scene which is hilarious. its a waked scene that makes me laugh a lot. Amanda Seyfried is a babe no matter what she is in. the stories the same old thing with a few twists that is actually interesting so its not bad for the story. Gary Oldman usually rocks but not in this flick, its the directors fault among others who made this movie. there is some decent CGI in the film but not enough to save it. don't expect much from the wolf and enjoy the film for its good points which is for a laugh even tho there trying to be serious

A good way to hide your own lack of creativity is to paint a mess and pretend it's meant to be like that. Well, pretend better!

Author: Claire_Catspaw from Estonia
8 June 2011

My feelings toward Red Riding Hood are controversial. In a childish-romantic-nostalgic way I liked some of the film. In a realistic-I'm-the-kid-who-told-others-that-Santa-is-not-real-skeptic way I had several issues with the film.

Stripping the controversies down to the bone, the nostalgic approach awakened memories of the famous fairytale itself, although the concept of the film was slightly different. I was surprised to draw some certain parallels between the film and the fairytale itself, however, coming to the plot of the film, the elements of the fairytale didn't come together when used in the film, being completely out of place and time. Like someone tried to glue two watermelons to a broomstick.

Speaking of fairytale elements not making it in the film and expanding the thought, the main issue I have with the film is I felt that it just stole the idea of the story and then, to avoid accusations of plagiarism, it tried to take a bit more adult-like approach to the story adding a clichéd love triangle, the everlastingly self-contradicting religious matter, some typical village lifestyle episodes and a bit of this and a bit of that...

Unfortunately, in this frenzy of add the story loses itself completely. I wasn't sure in the end which line to follow because the film tried to depict too many major plots at the same time. It could have done with only a half of what was in it, assuming it had been executed with professionalism.

The other main issue with the film was indeed the obvious lack of passion, desire and acknowledgment of what was being done. The script was poor and uncreative, most of the dialogues were strongly clichéd and at some point I was just embarrassed myself to be listening to those. What is more, I was waiting anxiously to see the film for the actors as well because the names were promising. Unfortunately they weren't given much to work with, especially considering what a mess this film is. The actors looked great, and beautiful Amanda Seyfried surprised me with her essence. However, I'm sorry to admit that she, and many others, were wasted in that film.

The village at nighttime was mysteriously romantic (this is the little dark-loving witch speaking in me). The fog on the water was sweetly eerie. Some camera angles were fascinating. But the most beautiful asset of the film was definitely the wolf. I would go anywhere with that creature.

5/10. For each of the positive thing I brought out and one extra for the wolf.

The Adventures of Little Valerie Riding Hood

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
24 June 2012

Once upon a time, in the village of Daggerhorn, deep in a forest somewhere in mediaeval Europe, there lived a Mr. and Mrs Riding-Hood, who had a daughter named Valerie. Yes, I know that in the original story she was named "Little Red", but the makers of this film clearly wanted a more traditional Christian name. The people of Daggerhorn are being plagued by the attentions of a wolf, and not just a common-or-garden wolf either. This one is a werewolf, believed to be one of the villagers with the power to transform himself into a wolf. The people believe that they have come to an arrangement with the werewolf; they will make regular sacrifices of cattle to it, and in exchange it will not seek out human prey. The wolf, however, breaks this arrangement when it murders Valerie's sister Lucie, and the enraged villagers set out to kill it.

I won't set out any further details of the plot, which is a very complex one, except to say that it involves a love-triangle between Valerie and two local boys, Peter and Henry, some disturbing revelations about Valerie's family background and the arrival in the village of the famous witch hunter Father Solomon to help the people in their fight against the werewolf. These elements will doubtless make it clear that "Red Riding Hood" is not, by any stretch of the imagination, simply a retelling of the familiar story, although some elements (Valerie's red cloak, her grandmother) are retained. Like this year's "Snow White and the Huntsman", another film ostensibly based on a traditional folk tale, it uses its source material very loosely.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" is essentially a sword-and-sorcery fantasy, owning more to Tolkien and Peter Jackson (with contributions from Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam) than to Disney and the Brothers Grimm. "Red Riding Hood" is more of a "dark fantasy" essentially a horror film with a period setting, with similarities to some of the Hammer horror movies of the sixties and seventies. Some reviewers have compared Father Solomon to the witch-hunters in Arthur Miller's "The Crucible", but a closer comparison might be with Weill in Hammer's "Twins of Evil". In both that film and in "Red Riding Hood" we are asked, for the purposes of the drama, to suspend our disbelief in malevolent supernatural beings, vampires in "Twins of Evil" and werewolves here. Weill and Solomon are both cruel and fanatical, but the forces against which they are fighting are nevertheless real. Miller, by contrast, takes the view (as did Michael Reeves in his film "Witchfinder-General") that belief in witchcraft or the supernatural is irrational and superstitious.

The best acting performance comes from Gary Oldman as Solomon, playing him as that all-too-familiar type, the religious fanatic who in his zeal has convinced himself that he is doing God's work and that he therefore has a licence to commit acts from which, under other circumstances, he would recoil in horror. None of the other contributions, however, stand out. Both Shiloh Fernandez as Peter and Max Irons as Henry are forgettable, although I must say that Amanda Seyfried as Valerie is a lot better here than she was in the last film in which I saw her, the dreadful "Mamma Mia!" (Amanda's striking blonde looks also contribute to some of the film's more memorable images).

Despite some variable acting, "Red Riding Hood" is not altogether a bad film. Some (Roger Ebert included) have complained that the plot is preposterous, although in my view it is no more so than most horror films about the supernatural. Films about werewolves are not generally the place to go if you are looking for hyper-realism. Despite its fairy-tale origins, this is a very atmospheric film, dark, moody and unsettling film, with something to say about the nature of fanaticism and cruelty. It is certainly not a film for children; had that pun not already been overworked to death, I would have called it a "grim fairy-tale". 6/10

Okay date movie from a guy's perspective.

Author: David Froman from United States
13 February 2012

I can sit through this with the wife. There's enough action so I wouldn't fall asleep. Gary Oldman chews up a good bit of scenery in his time on screen. No explosions, but there is a nice sized fire at one point.

For the ladies there's the love triangle story, with Valerie whipsawing back and forth between the bad boy/wood cutter/maybe werewolf she is passionate about, and the solid earning potential metalsmith from a good home who most likely isn't a werewolf but whom she doesn't really feel anything for. Oh and they are running around in the snow, and wear period costumes, I know my wife enjoys that stuff as well.

I wouldn't turn off an episode of Sons of Anarchy to watch this (well maybe one of those episodes where Gemma and Tara talk about their feelings), but watching it is a better time that another round of Angry Birds.

A tremendously underrated film

Author: Charlotte Eliza from Cyprus
27 August 2011

After reading (MANY) negative reviews, I went in to see this movie expecting it to be a mediocre flop. It's anything but.

However, it's not without its (really) bad points. Let's get them out of the way before we move on.

First, there's no doubt that some of the acting is TERRIBLE. I cringed whenever Max Irons came on screen; he didn't even have that much to say and still managed to do a crap job (I know I'm not the only one who laughed when he threatened to kill Peter). Shiloh Fernandez was slightly better but not by much; Amanda Seyfried and Gary Oldman were really all that held the script together.

Secondly, the script was mediocre to above average at best and could have done with more intelligent dialogue to complement the awesome plot (a little humor never hurt anyone).

The healthy appearance of the village & villagers ticked me off. Call me a perfectionist, but I've seen far too many medieval-era movies to believe that the people in this movie are naturally squeaky- clean, their hair perfectly styled and coiffed (I'm looking at you, Valer- no, wait, that's everyone), have a vast array of colorful clothes, etc. This is a SECLUDED village in a forest in the MIDDLE ages. These people do NOT live in luxury. They deal with filth and grime every day while toiling their ass off to make bread for their family. NOBODY looked the part, and I kept getting disappointed whenever someone came out of a fight with nary a smear of dirt on their face.

A point about Gary Oldman. His character started off as a bad-ass werewolf hunter but swiftly deteriorated into a crazy old man with "the end justifies the means" practically stamped across his forehead. Despite the death he deserved (sigh, Hollywood. How you've brainwashed your audience to WANT the death of a human life) I was sorry to see him go.

***

On to the good stuff!

The end twist is fantastic, simply brilliant! I never suspected who the real culprit was even though I'll probably see the hints when I do a re- watch (in which I will skip all the parts Max Irons is in).

I also immensely enjoyed the scenery. The helicopter flyover shots of the forest are mesmerizing (this is the ONLY similarity to Twilight). The village scenes are back-lit in such a way that create a fairytale- like atmosphere which was initially distracting, but eventually I came to appreciate the blend of colors - and after all, the story IS based on a fairytale.

In addition, the couple I was rooting for get together. I'm a sucker for romance and I was glad some people in this movie got a happy ending after so much fear and sadness. Hollywood is by no means over the happy ending cliché, but lately I've noticed that it tends to be bittersweet, which although not completely satisfying is more realistic.

I LOVED the soundtrack, and although on their own I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much, the songs work brilliantly in the movie. I didn't even notice them while watching, too busy focusing on the scene being emphasized. Great choices, and my only criticism might be when the villagers are "celebrating" the death of the werewolf. The eerie song had me thinking that the dancing and reveling was more suited in another movie with weird cult rituals.

As aforementioned, "the end justifies the means". I was intrigued how the movie brought up the ethics of this issue. How far is enough before you stop? Apparently, when revenge is meted out and Gary Oldman gets a taste of his medicine when he's bitten by the wolf and killed by his henchman (satisfying, but bloodthirsty, Hollywood. Bloodthirsty.)

All in all, Red Riding Hood is a great modern retelling of the fairytale it's based on. Even after a day I'm still thinking about it and recommending it to my friends. I'm sad to say most people over the age of thirty wouldn't enjoy this, because despite how much I liked it, in the end it all comes down to it being a teenage mock-horror movie. However, if you're willing to forgive a bit of terrible acting, then go ahead and watch it. Be warned though: you're going to have to forgive Max Irons a LOT.

A bit different take on the Red Riding Hood story, my wife and I were entertained.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
7 August 2011

I don't think anyone of nominal sanity would argue that this is a great movie, but it isn't as bad as some of the reviews suggest. It certainly plays a bit off the popularity of the "Twilight" movies, using a vampire instead of the classic wolf, but it still is a totally different story, and in broad scope faithful to the classic fairy tale.

Amanda Seyfried is Valerie, arranged to be wed to Max Irons (son of Jeremy Irons) as Henry, after her older sister is found dead, apparently a victim of the vampire. Sacrafices of livestock are made regularly by the towns people, to appease the vampire, so they are surprised at this event.

But Valerie doesn't want to marry Henry, she is in love with Shiloh Fernandez as Peter, even talking about striking out together to get far away from their village.

Gary Oldman as Solomon has a reputation for hunting down and killing vampires, he even has sharpened silver fingernails for such an encounter. He tells all the townspeople that the werewolf has not been killed, in fact he tells them it is probably one of them, a villager that everyone knows, who turns into a vampire at full moon. At this time is a special time that only occurs every 13 years, a red full moon which means the vampire will try to bite someone to turn them into a vampire also.

Julie Christie is Grandmother. "tu-dumm, tu-dumm, tu-dumm..."

SPOILERS: After the storyline suggests several who might be the wolf, when Valerie puts on her red cape and treks to Grandmother's house, she finds her dad there, he is in fact the vampire. While it seemed that he killed his own daughter in the opening scene, he had just realized that she was in fact not his, but the product of an affair his wife had with Henry's dad, so he killed both of them. Now he was looking for his only daughter, Valerie, to become a vampire. But Peter shows up in the nick of time, and Valerie had brought along the severed hand of Solomon, and used the silver fingernails to kill her dad, the vampire. However Peter had been bitten in the battle, but in honor of his love for Valerie would attempt to stay out of the way in the future.

Trust me: This movie worth watching,

Author: Mutlut Turk from North Korea
27 July 2011

I scanned some reviews here before seeing this movie, saw the negative reviews, and said here is another Hollywood candy bar. But anyway we said lets watch it, at least Gary Oldman is here. OK, I wont say it is as good as Inception, but I'll say I really enjoyed it. In the middle of the movie I said to myself, 'next time I wont judge movies according to reviews'. I am positive with that because maybe there is some reviewing politics going on here, I don't know.. I mean look at "hurt locker", with 7.8points, it is announced like "Kathryn Bigelow's Masterpiece": Ccomme oooooon!! Anyways, after watching red riding hood, I came back to IMDb again, and was happy to figure out that the director was Catherine Hardwicke. I really liked Twilight-1, because while watch it, for me it was clear that the director was a woman, and the storytelling was very very lyrical. Of course you can not find this lyricism in other twilights because probably its rights has been sold to "you know who" guys in Hollywood, and of course they made the continuing movies like special effect masterpiece without any lyricism and a satisfying storytelling.

And you believe me that you will find a good story telling in this movie which is clear that has been crafted by a woman. And there is also a very talented special effects company behind it that you will watch beautiful scenery which is exactly suitable for the fairy tale. And what I can not describe here is the resident hard theme music playing mostly underground(like the dark knight for example), you simply should watch and listen to it.

OK it is not like your favorite little childhood fairy tale, but this is the best state to capture the attention of an adult like me, and have him watch a fairy tale.

Red Riding Hood is seriously underrated.

Author: andrew-j-curran from United States
25 July 2011

I have to say I am very disappointed. I have read many reviews on this movie, and all of them are real negative. I don't understand, because all the negativity seems to be about "Red Riding Hood"'s similarity to "Twilight". The movie, however is not as similar as critics make it out to be. The "love triangle" many critics point out is actually not even a real love triangle at all. Other than the two male leads and one female lead aspect, the only other similarity is werewolves (and I may point out that there is not one vampire in the movie...). The acting was fine, the story was fine, the animation was fine! The movie was not super fantastic and will blow your mind away, but it is much better than a measly 5 out of 10. Oh, and the biggest selling point of the movie- I think, is that it keeps you guessing up until the very end. I will not give away any mysteries here, and like me the story does a great job on maintaining the mystery!

it is a great movie to watch

Author: Pssionatebout Thegames
19 July 2011

first of all i would like to say that the reviews of this movie were the final blow which has forever removed my faith from ratings of a movie - i am mentioning the 'professionsl' critics at various review aggregator sites; i don't know what is their basis for rating a movie coz it definitely is not the movie itself

this i needed to mention because reviews can't be any more misleading than they are for this movie

this is a fantastic piece of work; i have watched hundreds of horror & monster movies & this has found its mark as a beautiful fantasy tale; movie is great looking, binding, surprising & doesn't let go of the pace for even a minute (very rare to find in horror movies); very well shot; well made movie; wonderful work

Nothing new

Author: IvanaMilicevic from Serbia
25 June 2011

I was looking forward to see this movie. I thought it would be something new. But this is completely the same as Sleepy Hollow (1999).

If you didn't see it, it's enough to know that there is one village and one creepy creature who kills its inhabitants and the whole movie you just keep wondering who can it be. Of course in the end it is the most unexpected person.

I don't say the movie is bad, it's just the same story.

Actors are very bad too, except Gary Oldman.

All in all - It's not one of those movies that's gonna waste your time. It's worth watching.

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada

Red Riding Hood

For millions around the world, Red Riding Hood has always been…a super-sexy, slightly pedophiliac, Halloween costume.

And though the hem of the hooded ingénue in this fantasy is well below her knees, it does not impede her young lust.

In Daggerhorn, there is a long-standing truce between the villagers and the werewolf that lives in the woods.

But, when the older sister of Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) is found dead from a werewolf-attack, the armistice is absolved. And an authority on lycanthropy (Gary Oldman) is acquired.

Meanwhile, Valerie's relationship with a woodcutter (Shiloh Fernandez) is threatened when her parents (Billy Burke, Virginia Madsen) insist she marry the blacksmith's son (Max Irons).

A trite teenage re-interpretation of the fair tale, Red Riding Hood foregoes the fable's morals, and, instead, focuses on a supernatural love triangle.

Besides, the only way to rid a village of a werewolf is to elect a vampire mayor. (Red Light)

Not an award worthy film, but entertaining

Author: corievans81 from United States
18 June 2011

I really don't understand why this movie got so many poor reviews. Most of the viewers who gave it such horrible ratings seemed as though they just wanted to wound witty and show off, what they think, is a very extensive vocabulary. The movie is very entertaining. Visually, it was a beautiful movie, it was cast well and kept you guessing. And for those you of you who actually thought they were going to see "Little Red Riding Hood," I am glad you felt as though you wasted your money and time just for being ignorant. Also if you are not a fan of Catherine Hardwicked or Twilight, you are probably not going to be a fan of this movie either. Many people who gave the film a negative rating didn't like Twilight or Catherine Hardwicke and were just plain silly for going to see a movie they were already set up to hate. If you like action/suspense movies, don't listen to the poor reviews, go see it. You will not be disappointed.

Very Surprised! A Very Good Movie

Author: afghanballer_911 from Canada
6 June 2011

Prior to watching the movie I had little expectations due to the bad reviews, and the fact I do not like Amanda Seyfried. However this movie had me hooked right from the start all the way till the very end. The plot was very good and I love how it was refreshingly different from the fairy tales we heard about little red riding hood when we were kids. I literally had guessed 3 characters to be the werewolves however it turned out to be none of them. The characters were perfectly cast with mentions going out to Amanda Seyfried, Shiloh Fernandez, Max Irons, Gary Oldman and Billy Burke all gave amazing performances and were perfect for their given roles. This movie is a must watch as it was really good, and a very good romantic movie as well without even trying to class itself as a romance flick. Go watch it

Ending was pants

Author: Jordan L from United Kingdom
20 April 2011

Really liked this film, a good mystery they hid the part of the wolf quite well, I was sitting there to my friend going "Ooo bet he/she is the wolf" then it did not turn out to be any of the ones which I tried to guess.

Ending was a little boring, she should of let the new wolf bite her (the one which she fancied) and then they could of lived together or something like that, also I expected there to be a few parts where I would of jumped but there was none, which they should of put a few in.

Overall I rated this film a 9/10 would happily watch it again and buy it when it comes out on DVD!

Good but expected better.

Author: LadyHol93 from United Kingdom
17 April 2011

I originally enjoyed the advert for this film and so decided to see on opening day; there must have been only 6 people including myself sitting in the auditorium which was quite surprising.

I did like it but I found it quite slow at times and apart from Amanda Seyfried and Gary Oldman, the rest of the acting was pretty average. Basic storyline and pretty much a guessing game for most of the time but I didn't expect the wolf to turn out to be who it was so at least it did keep me honestly guessing.

Pretty good visuals with regards to the wolf and there were a couple parts that made me jump but I definitely had higher expectations; perhaps more unexpected twists in the storyline would've been better.

I recommend anyone to see it to find out their opinions but I think if i went back in time I would've changed my mind and watched scre4m instead.

bad reviews... or NOT

Author: rindunel from Romania
16 April 2011

Well I can see that this movie got a lot of bad reviews, a lot of Twilight "spoof" reviews, and a lot of bad criticism. Actually, I can tell you this: it's by far better, wiser, and moodier than the retard reset/retelling of the vampire-werewolf myths found in Twilight. I've read Dracula when I was about 13-14 years old. I've read Frankenstein around the same age. Well, i've been read Little Red Riding Hood when I was 5 or 6 years old, and I remember I bugged my parents a lot about "Why?". Why the wolf went for grandma? Why the woodcutter came along (altough in Romanian translation that was a hunter)? Why did he came to grandma's and why did he found that both Little Red Riding Hood and grandma were in the stomach of the wolf... Why did he put a stone in the stomach of the wolf after cutting him open? Of course, at the time my parents got frustrated by my questioning and sent me to bed letting a lot of lingering questions in my head. Time has passed, and by my college years I got the chance of reading some interesting analysis of Grimm's stories. Murder, cannibalism, etc. are quite consistent throughout their works. And for those who don't know it yet, yes, the Grimm's were not "writers" but merely collectors of old German myths and stories originating in the "dark ages", somewhere between 15th-17th century a.d. Those were not the "Disney" stories children of the '90 grow up with. They were "get spooked" by the tavern/fire stories, they were oral versions altered with each re-telling of myths, unexplained and out of the ordinary fears of the common people: the woodcutters, the farmers, the lowest and poorest of the citizens. The Grimm's didn't collected stories about queens and nobility, and royalty. Actually people used the upper classes characters for some of their myth's (daughter of the king) 'cause they gave a feeling of comfort first (even the richer have problems), but even more important 'cause such persons were out of the reach and possibility of confirmation for most of the auditorium. Anyway, I've seen the so much praised Twilight. Well, it's a movie for brainwashed teenagers. It lacks consistency, it lacks realism and beside it's somehow good music it lacks almost everything. Every second watching it feels like an assault on my intellect. Not judging by the new trend of "daylight vampire walkers" (and yes i saw and enjoyed Blade) I can tell you this: every scene of Twilight it's so much romantically exaggerated that it made me want to puke and comment on the unrealism of every word spoken by the characters/actors. Even "Titanic" is less romantic than Twilight, and after seeing the later I find the first admissible.

Those being told, let's get back to issue at hand. Myths, especially oral myths change with each retelling. And, if from the original (my country, my culture, my myth) Romanian "Flyer" myth, Bram Stroker derived Dracula and the world got the vampire myth, then maybe somewhere around the history my beloved countryman the vampire got the ability to day walk. Watching Little Red Riding Hood was a revelation. It translated the childish story into a coherent "you get your answers" story. It kept the original "script" intact and yet it delivered a mythical creature, that would make it a "spooky by the fire story" people would try to pass on orally when they lack the means to write it down. Wolfs were pretty common in Germany of the 15th century (and feared I might add) and although I am pretty sure the initial happening was of some poor old woman and girl getting eaten by one (or miraculously getting saved) the film was awesome. It delivered. And given the fact that the ulfhednar was an ancient Germanic tribe type of warrior I wouldn't be surprised if initially even the Grimm brothers thought about a werewolf when they collected the story... That's something to take into consideration... The film might just be the most consistent with the initial story retelling and the Grimm's might just got it wrong in the first place.

I give it a 9 of 10. I would go for 8 (due to some cheesy moments and undoubtedly XXI century electrical music) but the "Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in" line just deserves another point.

Thank you for reading.

CSI Werewolf

Author: donmurray29 from United Kingdom
15 April 2011

CSI Werewolf, take an episode of CSI, put in a Hollywood fairy tail of werewolves, add nice people, you have this film. The only two good thespians in it are Gary Oldman and Julie Christie, the rest are just nice to look at / wolf fodder. Those who die are sending you a letter a week in advance of dying.

Script is weak, the sets and cast are so clean it's impossible to believe this in a forest and the towns folk do any work, even the livestock look clean.

Anyone paid to see this or wanting to see this, I feel sorry for them, I saw it as a preview and glad I didn't pay for it. This is straight to DVD all over it, waste if on Blu ray, but it will be.

Quite why it's called Red Riding Hood apart from to sell he film is the bigger mystery, even all of CSI could not solve why this was given the green light. And what happened to any horror? the horror is seeing this film.

Better than expected

Author: gradyf1 from Iowa
13 April 2011

Red Riding Hood is an interpretation of the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood. It is a dramatic movie about finding the demon wolf in the midst of a small medieval village full of superstitious people.

The basic plot is that after a period of around twenty years of sacrificing animals for the wolf in place of humans, the wolf kills the sister of the main character for an unknown reason. After the death, the men of the town decide to go to the wolfs lair and kill it before it can kill anymore of them. During this escapade they manage to kill the wolf, but only after it kills a man. While they were celebrating, the Father Solomon, a famous wolf hunter comes to town and informs them that they managed to kill a normal wolf, but the werewolf is still in their midst. When the town is barricaded in the wolf comes out at night and shows itself to the town, and talks to Valerie, the main character. It tries to convince her to leave the town with her, but she doesn't.

The entire movie keeps you guessing until the very end, when you discover who the wolf is. After hearing everybody talk about the movie, I was expecting a movie with bad acting and terrible plot. But after watching the movie I was surprise by how it kept me guessing and interested till the very end. Even though there were no big name actors, the acting was good, along with nice scenery. Overall, it was a decent movie with a fresh view on Red Riding Hood. I would give the movie seven stars out of ten.

Not suitable for anyone over 18

Author: Beginthebeguine from United States
31 March 2011

Well, I finally got around to watching this film. It has been sitting here for some time, but I was not very excited about a fairy tale werewolf movie. I actually did feel like watching a werewolf movie the other day so I watched Cursed, The original Howling and American Werewolf in London. They were great...this film was not.

It is a good looking film and reminded me of Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow or Neil Jordan's The Company of Wolves cinematically, but as good as it looks it cannot make up for an immature script. There are some plot points that should have been fleshed out like the arranged marriage, and some that should not have been --like Red's mother's past. The mother (a waste of time for the ever reliable Virgina Madsen) is insignificant to the center piece of the movie. Perhaps it is for the best though, because as great an actor as Amanda Seyfried will no doubt one day be; she lacks the depth to carry a whole film currently. Of cause, how creditable would Meryl Streep be as Red Riding Hood--I ask you.

There is some concerning violence for young children, but it is not over-the-top in the gore, so it probably would be suitable for young adults who have probably seen worse in video games. That is probably the best demographics for this film--the Twilight/High School Musical crowd.

So I give it points for the way the film looks and maybe some for editing, but all-in-all not a film I would care to see again.

its because you need to read the book first!!

Author: lhutch5 from United States
30 March 2011

I find that many of you tend to say.."its OK..like twilight..blah blah blah" this is why they make a book for you to read before the movie. It de finds the movie and gives you details unlike the movie its self..fills the gaps so to speak. I found the movie and book a wonderful twist on the store. a new insite. The acting might not be "De Niro" but who cares. its a fairy tale. a twisted one and thats what makes it what it is. I couldn't put the book down..and was first in line for the movie and never left my seat. sure there were a few spots that could have been left out but i feel that way about many movies.."lord of the rings the return of the two kings for one"..so all in all...i loved it.

Red Riding in the Hood

Author: Sandra Lent from Canada
30 March 2011

I was interested in seeing this movie because it had been compared to "Twilight," which I had loved. I was surprised at how much I liked Twilight, movies that are filled with teenage angst don't usually do much for me.

Red Riding Hood's setting is a medieval village which is terrorized by a computer wolf. Really cute little pigs are sacrificed to satisfy his blood lust, but alas, speaking of the sanguine variety, it's a blood moon. And that means humans must die.

It all seems quite staged, as the villagers go about their daily business, and there is even a village idiot. I'm no medieval expert, but I'm not sure all the costumes were historically accurate, and they were also amazingly clean. Let's not forget, these people lived without running water or any of the other amenities, in dark huts lit by candles, and yet their hair was perfect, their clothing clean with no visible rips or tears. All except Valerie's father. He looked a little rough around the edges, and he was constantly drinking from a flask he carried around with him. I think his name was Cesare, but lets just call him Dad. I was really hoping that the wolf would kill him first.

Valerie, our heroine, is a beautiful blond lass, always dressed in blue. Shades of Alice in Wonderland, without the change in costumes. She is portrayed as having the ability to kill, because she has the courage to slit the throat of a cute little bunny at the beginning of the movie. (Alice in Wonderland rears its ugly head again) She is also portrayed as a witch later on in the show, because she understands computer wolf language. The wolf wants her to run away with him. Isn't that romantic? Shades of bestiality people.

I suppose it was compared to Twilight because most of the lead characters were teenagers and two men loved the heroine. Peter, our heroines "real" would be lover, bore a resemblance to Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen in the Twilight series). He also bore a resemblance to Johnny Cash, and I didn't find him appealing. Not dangerous enough I guess. Although he tried to be darkly brooding, maybe I just missed the sparkles.

A La Twilight style, another man is in love with our heroine, his name is Henry, and he is at first portrayed as being kind of wimpy. However, he does mature during the film, and becomes likable. In fact, I'm tempted to say he's the real hero of the movie.

Enter Gary Oldman, as some sort of religious figure with dubious intentions. He brings with him an entourage of people, and a big iron elephant. People address him as "Your Eminence." Later in the show, the iron elephant is used as a sort of burning pit, similar to the Brazen Bull, a torture device used in Greek and Roman times. Talk about a copy cat, although I don't imagine most people seeing the burning scenes would be familiar with this piece of history. No, the elephant was meant to be an original and horrifying part of the action. FAIL, at least for me.

I liked the set design and the colouring in the movie. The brightest colour is the red cloak given to Valerie by her grandmother (Candice Bergen, a glamorous grandmother for the middle ages). The cloak's colour stands out in the forest and snow.

Anyway, his Eminence says that the wolf lives in the village and that it could be anyone, thus setting the scene for some good old fashioned witch hunts.

No spoilers in this write up folks, you can read this and go see the movie without actually knowing the ending. I must admit to being surprised at who the wolf turned out to be, when in human form.

Rating: Watch it at home, on your big screen TV.

Tepid and unimpressive storytelling, but gorgeously shot

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
23 March 2011

In Catherine Hardwicke's "Red Riding Hood", the tone goes darkly dreamy. Not that the fairy tale it's based on doesn't already have its fair share of undertones but the whiff of sexual earnestness gets angsty and its facade as a hip re-imagining of its innocuous source material gets revealed for what it is: "Twilight" in full-on werewolf mode. With a sexy soundtrack of Fever Ray punctuating rolls in the hay and make-out sessions, the film looks firmly onto a teenage audience to fill its coffers given how weak-kneed it is to actually confront any semblance of true horror.

Neil Jordan's 1984 re-telling of the fairy tale, "The Company of Wolves" approaches the psycho-sexual themes inherent in the material to better and haunting measure. And who can forget the truly unique and energetically fervent "Freeway" in which Kiefer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon play the wolf and Little Red respectively -- how wonderfully crafted that film was in bringing into a modern world, showing how reworking it into a contemporary context isn't just all fluff. And you get a sense that "Red Riding Hood" initially attempted this sort of deep introspective look into the mythology and the foreboding milieu of a town deep within an enveloping wilderness but just loses itself in adhering to a formula of teenage love triangles, familial discords and shirtless hunks glistening in the moonlight.

In the medieval fantasy village of Daggerhorn, sacrifices of pigs and livestock are made each full moon to appease the werewolf that prowls the woods surrounding them. But when a young woman is killed, the men of the village decide to rebel, heading up onto a cave they believe the werewolf dwells and bringing home a wolf's head on a pike. Father Solomon (Gary Oldman), an expert werewolf slayer and overall puritan evil-hunter, tells them that the werewolf would return to human form when dead. The gorgeously red-lipped Valerie (Amanda Seyfried), sister of the slain woman, steps into the picture as a young woman caught between her betrothed fiancé, the rich Henry (Max Irons) who her parents want her to marry and the woodcutter (Shiloh Fernandez), who she wants to be with. This burgeoning sexual awakening is short-lived however, when Valerie is given reason to suspect that one of her suitors might just be the werewolf in disguise.

Hardwicke juggles treacherously ludicrous red herrings to keep Valerie from finding out the true circumstances and identity of the murderer. She visits her dear demented grandmother (the fabulous Julie Christie) and learns deep dark family secrets, revealing her own connection to the plot. The essential elements of the fairy tale are here but it's a wholly whodunit and wholovesme affair. If there's one thing to be said for the film though, it's how lush and inviting it all looks on the big screen. Despite its many failings as a motion picture, Hardwicke hits the mark on that aspect. She creates a great atmosphere on a sound stage in the village scenes and splices that in with sweeping aerial shots of the breathtaking and isolating wilderness that sets the film up for so much more than it actually is.

There's a deep dissatisfaction in the film given how polished it looks and how much promise it holds. The lack of gore, sex and true tension is regrettable in how tepid and mediocre its aspirations ended up being but at least there's one thing to be gleaned from this relatively new sub- genre of films and books sexualising dangerous, feral men who survive on blood and flesh is that every girl just wants to be eaten.

- www.moviexclusive.com

Grandma....What a Horrid Screenplay You Have

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
2 October 2011

Red Riding Hood (2011)

* (out of 4)

Boring thriller about a small village that comes under attack from a werewolf. A girl (Amanda Seyfried) from the village appears to have a connection to the beast and perhaps it's one of the two men that are in love with her. RED RIDING HOOD is yet another film that had an interesting trailer but the film itself turned out to be really bad. It's such a shame because the story is such a classic that we really did need another big-screen adaptation but sadly this mess of a film is simply a TWILIGHT wannabe that is pretty much dead on all levels. The one good thing the film has going for it is the cinematography, which is very impressive from start to finish. Now for the bad stuff. You can start off with the performances, which is another major letdown considering some of the talent involved. Seyfried made such a strong impression in CHLOE that it's rather sad seeing her in something like this, although I'm sure the check was nice. She's certainly easy on the eyes and fits the role just fine but the screenplay gives her character nothing and she just comes off incredibly stupid. Gary Oldman plays a Van Helsing type and he's so corny here that you can almost have a good time with the performance. Even Virginia Madsen, Julie Christie and Lucas Haas come out looking bad. Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons play the boys in love with our lead and it's clear that casting directors are now spotting talent at modeling school and not acting school. The werewolf in the film looks better than those in TWILIGHT but the CGI creation is still silly looking and never gives you any fear. What's so incredibly silly about this movie is how poorly written it is and yet everyone is taking it so serious. You keep wondering when someone is going to break down laughing due to how stupid the lines they're saying are. You really do feel as if you're watching a school production of this story written by a woman who has a crush on a couple boys in her class and now she wants to be in a play with them so that she can kiss both. RED RIDING HOOD is a real mess of a movie and sadly it probably ruined us from getting a good version of the story.

Well crafted movie!

Author: selarom-yar from United States
26 June 2011

I just finish seeing this feature (not to say that some of the reviewers might have not seen the movie). My wife and I saw the movie with reading all of the reviews, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not a horror movie it is more of a mystery thriller with a love story. We were not expecting a "Universal Studios" type of werewolf movie, but a love story that happens to to have a werewolf in it.

So when you approach this movie consider this, if you like "Twilight" (which is the BEST of the saga so far) with its story arc and photography and story pace then this is the movie for you. If you are looking for a horror movie with a werewolf in it like in Wolfman (Joe Johnston) then you are not going to enjoy this movie.

Also it is NOT for children and definitely not a family film. Strictly an adult film.

Not bad at all....

Author: cloudtolis from Greece
28 May 2011

Maybe most of the people who watched the movie and wrote bad reviews wanted a horror movie while it seemed more like a fantasy romance and mystery one.I enjoyed watching it even though my girlfriend was having some kind of orgasm every time she saw that Peter guy.To be honest I expected no less than a horror thriller and probably splattering drama or something,but I never allow my expectations to ruin a good film.It was fun enjoying it and I wont mind watching it again for the atmosphere,the fine work they had inside the village making it look like a dreamy place, *while I was bothered a bit towards the end where in the red riding hood fairy tale,the girl avoids the wolf whereas symbolically the wolf is a pedophile-chasing-innocent-girl guy and the lesson is never to trust strangers,in the movie she is actually ending up having a baby with him...so skipping the FAILED lesson I enjoyed it,cause it makes me feel that its true that maybe most of us lean on the dark side...

So Romantic

Author: baburshafiq from United Kingdom
2 April 2011

Red Riding Hood is so romantic tale of LOVE, its goes under the same idea as Twilight Series was... and the most obvious is who loved the Twilight.. Love the Set in a medieval village. really like the suspense running after each and every character. Unlike Twilight Red Riding Hood is more calm Director Catherine Hardwicke have done a wonderful job after Twilight.. Snowy and christmasy weather and atmosphere are awesome. Amanda Seyfried, Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons have done great job too.. Lukas Haas have done good performance. Well if I compare Red Riding Hood with Twilight then must say that there is something missing. There is one thing which i could not understand is that Valerie doubt on peter and she hurt her childhood love with Knife as she knew that whatever happens Peter can't hurt her.. In there kind of Bilnd faith Love Stories Lover just don't doubt each other. But still I can watch this film over and over again.

Raw meat...

Author: Cruiz Dwyer (sinncross@gmail.com) from South Africa
25 March 2011

The small village of Daggerhorn is an isolated one and for good reason: for 20 years it has been subject to attack from a werewolf during every full moon period. The village has a pact with the werewolf as they offer it live animals in hope that none of their people are harmed. This appears to change one day when the sister of Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) is killed by the beast. Coupled with issues of love and her future, Valerie is caught between two potential suitors and a frenzy hunt for the wolf.

Adapting the tale of Little Red Riding Hood was always going to be an interesting undertaking, but the result is a mixed bag. The narrative obviously expands past the scope of the original tale in order to create a cohesive context in which the story can unfold. The main problem with the story is the apparent lack of depth. Many possible themes arise including issues of sexuality, feminism and identity, but these go largely unexplored and mean little by the time the credits roll. The action that is presented is merely to mask a romance story which is pretty predictable by nature: the question is not who Valerie will end up with but rather when it will happen. It does not help that characters fall into the stock variety, such as Father Solomon (Gary Oldman) who ends up being quite cruel with his methods of helping the village. Characters also go underdeveloped: besides the small arc involving infidelity between two families, characters just seem to exist for the sake of it. Take into account that decisions that appear so obvious for characters are ignored just to build tension, then it is no wonder that the films length begins to feel artificially made. Add in come clichés and a mystery which resolves itself out of nowhere, and you have a narrative that is both lacking in cohesion and quality.

The range of actors is by no means impressive but it is definitely both intriguing and manageable. The younger cast are sadly quite wooden most of the time and considering they are the ones around which the love triangle revolves, the chemistry is just lacking. The love between Valerie, Peter (Shiloh Fernandez) and Henry (Max Irons) never rises above its Twilight roots. Seyfried can be given some credit since she does convey a larger set of emotions than everyone else in the cast. Sadly, the older cast do not exactly fair much better, but it is unfortunate that it is up to Oldman to lend acting experience to the film, and he definitely has presence in his scenes.

If there is a saving grace it is the overall atmosphere of the film. The opening scenery is testament to a film that is trying to create an overarching environment in which to position the village in isolation, but also to present the mystical feeling of a fairy tale. While not the most striking scenery, the woods look straight out of Twilight for example, the effects give a fantasy element that very much cements the film in its fairy tale origins. The CGI for the Werewolf is lacking but it is a minor issue in a film in which director Catherine Hardwiche is able to mesh both darkness with the odd scenes of gorgeous scenery fairly well.

Language features minimally throughout the film and nudity is nonexistent. Sex never really features though sensuality is present at times. Violence is quite apparent and besides a quick shot of the removal of a body part, violence is neither gory nor that bloody.

The angst of teenage love in dark fantasy is definitely a hot topic for cinema, but Red Riding Hood does not expand the idea in any meaningful way. The scenery is great, Gary Oldman is great, and Seyfried is adequate, but that is about all the film does right. Acting is generally weak and the story offers mild entertainment worth. With a superior script, Red Riding Hood could have offered a delightful retelling of its original material because the potential is there, but as it stands the film will not have many filmmakers green with envy.

Good idea, bad execution

Author: blister_in_thesun91 from Seattle, Washington
20 March 2011

When I bought the ticket for Red Riding Hood yesterday, I had the thoughts of something similar to a horror movie. The commercials and trailers gave me thoughts of a girl being used as a sacrifice for a wolf that is destroying her village. I was right, but that small part of the movie was so minor. Red Riding Hood is played out in a Twilight-esque fashion, with the entire story based around the main character's relationship with the dark, orphaned, bad boy woodcutter named Peter. Several references were put into the movie, though most were so blatant and put in at what seemed to be the last moment I could hardly stand it. Even though the actors are well known (such as Gary Oldman)the acting is B rate and the script itself seems hastily done and poorly written. The plot was based good ideas, what with the paranoia in the village and the wolf itself, but they were so poorly executed. If you want to go see this movie, wait until it's on netflix and save the 10 bucks for something better.

Greatly Missed Opportunity

Author: scarehuman from Florida, USA
17 March 2011

As I exited the theater, my friend summarized it well; "The trailer wrote so many checks the movie didn't cash, but easily could have." I don't think a better summary exists. Your enjoyment will depend on what you are looking for. I expected a film more in the vain of Sleepy Hollow, something stylish and exciting with suspense, intensity, tremendous atmosphere, however a loose interpretation of the source. The film was, indeed, stylish. Hardwicke has a great eye for cinematography, Red Riding Hood is mostly beautifully shot. I was distracted by the mainly shaking sequences, but that might be more to do with the fact that I am fighting a head cold and they made me sick. The costumes and sets are beautiful as well (though you'll note that their "snow" is just white sand), and has brilliant lighting. All in all, it is a very solid film from a technical aspect, which is why I gave it so high a rating. The performances were adequate, and most of the cast is terribly wasted. The biggest problem with the film is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. I firmly believe that this film was Hardwicke trying to prove she can do more than Twilight, but found herself trapped by the same teen romance melodrama that gave her the stigma to begin with. There is little suspense, and the resolution is anticlimactic, tepid, and boasting all the drama of a rerun of Scooby-Doo.

Hardwicke can do so much better than this 'sell out' crap!

Author: Hellmant from United States
15 March 2011

'RED RIDING HOOD': Two Stars (Out of Five)

The first in an upcoming Hollywood trend of dark re-imaginings to children's fairy tales (there are three 'Snow White' films in the works). This one is a very loose adaptation of 'Little Red Riding Hood' (and it bars very little resemblance to the actual fairy tale). It's more so inspired by the books 'The Uses of Enchantment' by author Bruno Bettelheim in which he uses Freudian psychology to analyze fairy tales. It's directed by Catherine Hardwicke, who is most well known for directing the first 'TWILIGHT' film but also directed 'THIRTEEN', 'LORDS OF DOGTOWN' and 'THE NATIVITY STORY' (which were all much better films). Here she falls even further from her former grace by producing more teen angst dribble. The film is written, very poorly, by David Johnson and stars Amanda Seyfried.

The movie's set in the medieval village of Daggerhorn, where townspeople are haunted by a viscous werewolf that lives in the woods. Seyfried plays Valerie, a young woman who's arranged to marry a blacksmith's son, Henry (Max Irons), in order to pay off the debt of her father, Cesaire (Billy Burke, who also co-starred in Hardwicke's 'TWILIGHT' as the father of the heroine). Of course she's torn between two bad acting pretty boys and is in love with a woodcutter named Peter (Shiloh Fernandez). Valerie and Peter plan to run off with each other but their plans are halted when Valerie's sister is murdered by the werewolf. A well known hunter, Father Solomon (Gary Oldman), arrives in town with several followers and locks it down. He's had experience dealing with werewolves and wreaks religious havoc on the town while trying to kill the deadly beast.

Seyfried is good in the lead role, Burke isn't bad as usual and Oldman really hams it up as the movie's villain. There's also a nice supporting turn from the legendary Julie Christie as Valerie's grandmother. The rest of the cast is pretty bad, especially the two leading men who also have no chemistry with Seyfried. The dialogue is mostly nauseating, the directing is pretty poor and for the most part it looks and feels like a 'Lifetime' TV movie.. The cinematography is decent though and the film has a nice creepy mood to it at times. The werewolf scenes aren't bad and it's definitely better at it's horror elements than the 'TWILIGHT' movies but for the most part it's just more of the same. Hardwicke can do so much better than this 'sell out' crap.

Watch our review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxjYiwLUko

Wasn't Thaaaat Bad

Author: Joseph Brando from NJ, USA
1 April 2011

...It wasn't great either. But considering the original fairy tale is quite interesting itself, I would say this was a step downwards. When you try to add horror werewolf elements, and an obvious Twilight-ripoff into the mix of updating a fairy tale there really is only one way to go. The three leads were all extremely boring. Beautiful but boring. All the extras were good, and its sad to see fine actors like Virginia Madsen, Julie Christie, Michael Shanks and Gary Oldman taking a backseat to the three snooze-athons in the main love triangle. It did have an interesting atmosphere - all the medieval houses in the snowy mountain village were cool looking, I especially dug Grandma's house. The CGI werewolf was ridiculous. I didn't mind so much about the wolf speaking like a human, but it was just silly to see a fake cartoon looking wolf mixed into the live actors, and if it looks cheesy now, imagine how bad it will look in a couple years! Still, it kept my interest up until the (corny) ending so I give it 6 stars for the casting of nice extras, the cool looking village, and the couple of back-stabbing bitchy friends of the main character.

Terrible ending

Author: thechrish
14 March 2011

This film actually had some interesting parts, and the plot isn't bad. I think it was the ending that bothered me more than anything. I don't want to post an unwanted spoiler, so I will keep it at that. The film sets the tone nicely in the beginning, and it keeps you interested for most of the film. The characters are fairly interesting, and it really does keep you guessing until the very end. So, I do like the mystery side of it, but I am just a mystery movie fan in general, so I'm not very hard to please in that area. I'd say as a mystery alone, this is actually a little above average as you have at least a half dozen suspects, and the director keeps alternating between them. BUT, the ending to me was pretty lame. I'm not a big moral type guy when it comes to movies, but the implied point in the ending was disturbing to me from that standpoint. I just feel like they took a film that could have been great and spilled grape juice on it - and once that dries, it can't be cleaned up.

Horrible

Author: Alise_shenle from Singapore
19 March 2011

I should have known that the Twilight director could direct nothing good. The movie started with the same old forest scene with voice-over like the Twilight movies. Then, the actors come out in their pretty unrealistic dresses and hair. The main characters are just for eye candy. Peter tries too hard to act cool like Edward Cullen, Valerie just looks horny and Henry is dull. The plot is also dead stupid, c'mon, obviously the werewolf is one of Valerie's family! And the stupid father Solomon made things worse. He should just round up everyone in the church and count who's not there in the morning to find out the real werewolf. Instead, he thought he's superman and there was so much bloodshed. This movie is stupid and cheesy and it's not even scary. Watch the Brothers Grimm movie instead if you like fairy tales.

What a disappointment

Author: brillig-2 from United States
12 March 2011

The concept was a good one, but it didn't work. There were problems all over the place, from the set design to the story line to character development. Save your money and watch "Cat People" instead. you'll get a much better value.

From the start, sets looked fake. Things simply looked slapped together, with little effort taken to build a cohesive whole.

Amanda Seyfried delivers a great performance. Unfortunately, it isn't equaled by the rest of the cast. Gary Oldman acted as well as one would expect, but his character didn't seem to fit the story. Where did he come from? Why did he have black servants? He simply seemed out of place.

The cinematography wasn't great either. Even scenes designed to be picturesque, for example, a panoramic high perspective scene with the red cape flowing in the wind was destroyed when the wind changed direction blowing the cape into a pile.

What the ***** was that?

Author: tizzledustin from United States
18 March 2011

I hadn't seen a preview of this movie, but was lured into seeing this movie after being told it was a dark version of the tale of little red riding hood.

First of all, I don't remember little red riding hood to be about werewolves, but it seems like a good start for a twisted version of this story..... But, the movie took a turn for the worst from the second it started. It was like twilight meats a big turd and this movie is the deformed love child that gets created.

Sadly, the only part of the movie that I thought was remotely entertaining was when the mentally disabled little brother of one of the townsfolk gets tossed into an elephant oven dealy.... Yeah, pretty demented, I know. The movie was so bad that I wanted that I couldn't help but text everyone I know about how bad it was. I would have walked out, but after the retard oven part I figured that their might be something interesting in the works. Nope, I should have walked out.

Not so much

Author: detblazer13 from United States
11 March 2011

I give this one a "2" mainly because of the camera work. It gave me motion-sickness and I couldn't enjoy my meal after the movie. In fact, I didn't eat anything. I was nauseated by this movie. NAUSEATED.

The story was fine; I liked the wolf and was surprised by the identity of the werewolf. Many of the lines were funny - "what happened to the rabbit Valerie" sounded just like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. And the priest's (Oldman - who was pretty funny himself) brass elephant was a hoot. He hauls that thing everywhere he goes?

Not recommended, unless you like Twilight. And one more line of text to meet the minimum...

Twilight fans will love this movie/Its that bad! HA HA

Author: John Maynes from United States
11 March 2011

OK would you really want to see this movie?...

...Of coarse not, if you didn't or haven't seen the trailers for the movie it looked OK but seeing it may have been the stupidest thing to do and i regret doing it so but hey somebody's gotta say what the real deal about the movie of how it really is.

We all know Amanda Seyfried-that nerdy hot chick from "Jennifer's Body" and Gary Oldman-"The Dark Knight's" and "The Book of Eli's" acting veteran.

OK so unlike the legend/tale of"Little Red Riding Hood"its a dark,sneaky and cheesy story about the wolf in the village killing everybody it wants to, like the"Wolfman" Except its one of those you can't see the monster till the main Character sees it then you finally see it.

is it scary?...Define what you thought or think from what you've seen is scary and explain it to me because its so f#cking cheesy that not even a little kid would find it good maybe a Women or a Girl but i doubt your Sister would sit through this movie.

If you're a twilight fan. Please screw off this is just like Twilight put into a darker setting around zombie writers and porn star actors Its so boring and stupid that i laughed my ass off through out the whole movie hell this was funnier than that Spy Movie"the Tourist" and why is like that because it was suppose to be a bold thriller and just like this movie, its so cheesy its funny!

This i do not recommend.

Please its only for those Twlight fans, Yes its that bad!

Very Grimm

Author: gttb78 from United States
9 March 2011

The Brothers Grimm are rolling in their grave laughing at how bad this movie is. I walked into this moving not entirely expecting much which got a few looks from the teenage and college girls in the theater that were within earshot. The younger crowd really wanted this movie to be a winner largely due to the vision from Catherine Hardwicke who is the director of the first "Twilight" movie. The studio even tinkered with the idea of bringing in some familiar actors from "Twilight" by including Billy Burke and Taylor Lautner, but decided not to include Lautner. Instead the eye candy for this movie is Amanda Seyfried (Valerie aka Red Riding Hood), Max Irons (Peter), and Shiloh Fernandez (Henry). Since the cast up to this point doesn't have much acting the studio tried to balance things with Virginia Madsen (Suzette aka the Mother) and Gary Oldman (Solomon aka the werewolf hunter).

With all of the effort to putting together a cast that would meet the masses; the movie fails on every level. Set in a small dark village that is haunted by a werewolf, Valerie is in love with Peter a lumberjack, but her family has given her hand to the village blacksmith Henry. The story is simple enough that Valerie and Peter plan to run away together, but the story gets turned on its head when the town calls on Solomon to hunt the wolf before the village is destroyed. Of course nobody is innocent and the methods used to flush out the wolf are insane including a Trojan Horse in the form of an Iron Elephant. Not to be outdone was the accusation of witchcraft where Valerie is put into an iron mask that looked like "Alf".

Gary Oldman and Virginia Madsen are complete opposites in this one where Virginia Madsen is shockingly under performing and Gary Oldman extremely over acts. Amanda Seyfried is like a deer in the headlights acting as stiff as a board during the "emotional" moments. The male eye candy wasn't much better.

I certainly hope that they never attempt to make the Russian tale of Peter and the Wolf because that is pretty clear the direction the studio is trying to go with this movie in the end. Since I have to give this movie a rating, I guess that it is 1 Quack (moviequacks.blogspot.com), but to be honest it isn't even worth that much. It will no doubt receive nominations for the Razzies or the beavtrash awards.

well, its not children's story anymore.. !

Author: Tushar Bhasme from India
15 August 2011

I loved the ways the children story has been re-engineered to suit to the youth flavor. It does contain a bit of the lines form the nursery story, but overall, its just totally new. The twilight saga does come in mind during many moments but that's OKAY since now all the werewolf movies will remind you of that.

The village is being haunted by a werewolf. Father Solomon comes to its rescue but not before The Red Riding Hood (Amanda Seyfried) loses her elder sister to the wolf. Just like Twilight, there is a love triangle but this time, there is no vampire :-).

A must watch for a change in the all-romantic movie season.

Substance of escape

Author: Moustafa_Q from United Arab Emirates
13 August 2011

Story of love and death, with some American thriller sparkles and the flavor of Ozon, "Red Riding Hood" is trip in a dark universe, with strange cages and shadows of fears.

In same aspects, it is a new adaptation of "Dangerous Liaisons". Also, it is a adaptations of brothers Grimm tales. But important are not the images, rabbits or forest man , the murder or the rats. It is only a room of Catherine Hardwicken universe and relevant is the desire of director to discover the limits of a situation. Not the ways but the purpose.

The evil girl for the other is basic object, the homoerotic scenes, the strange land, the race different, the games and the end, the cries and forms of affection are pieces of an interesting puzzle in which the purpose may be the catharsis.

A cruel beautiful film. Cold, aggressive, nostalgic, sad and strange. A film about the ways of escape. And about their fragile substance.

I never did see the "Hansel and Gretel" connection.

Don't take the short cut

Author: karaloye from United States
18 June 2011

I have been waiting for this movie to get to DVD. Thank goodness I didn't let the low rating stop me from watching this amazing flick. The snow covered woods is what draws you into the story of your youth as you begin to remember the details of your bedtime story, it unfolds on the screen. They casted a perfect RED who is mesmerizing and slowly unraveling her past. She is not your typical female victim which is refreshing. Gary Olmin is also casted perfectly in this role. He doesn't pick duds. I was able to keep watching without having my husband guess the plot, which is a rarity. This doesn't end until the lights go on. This movie proves you can still make a great action, thriller, horror, romantic movie without outlandish sex scenes and realistic violence. One of my top picks.

Nice idea but implemented poorly

Author: Pascal Zinken (LazySod) from Maastricht, The Netherlands
10 May 2011

Who doesn't know the classic fairy tale of Red Riding Hood? Now, it must be said that even if there are people that haven't heard of that story it doesn't matter too much - this film has as little to do with that story as that crying kids have to do with ice cream (there are some bits of interaction hiding under the surface, but nothing more than that) Anyway ... The film starts as the denizens of a a picturesque village in the mountains are going through their merry way of every day life. Little do they know that their pleasant life is about to be disturbed quite badly, but soon they will come to realize that life will never be the same again.

Trailered as a modern retelling of the fairy tale this one comes out well enough - the twist they make to the story isn't all together bad (but a little full of the standard clichés that make up for too many films). It would have worked out rather well I think, if it hadn't been for the fact that many of the players either don't really fit in their roles or don't play them well enough. This makes the film feel fractured and at points even irritating.

The filming style and the way the town is depicted is nice - even though some of the houses are all too clearly the effect of CGI. The music is not disturbing and adds effects where needed. All in all, it should have been a fair deal better.

5 out of 10 hoods coloured red

Spend $1- not $10

Author: Kailei_7 from United States
14 March 2011

I went to see this movie despite reading several reviews saying that the movie was terrible because a friend was paying for it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The first 15 minutes or so had me grimacing at the dialogue and acting, but after that point everything seemed to improve. Though the plot was fairly predictable, there were a few things here and there that had me suspecting many different people to be the wolf, and by the end I really was surprised at who it turned out to be.

I'll admit, this movie was not great by any means, but it was fairly entertaining and was shot beautifully. While I don't recommend spending $10 to see it in the theater, it would be great to grab it from Redbox or Blockbuster Express for $1 on a night that you don't have anything else to do.

Interesting fact about country in which it was happening...

Author: Mcicoolll from Russia
27 March 2011

There was a scene in which the red-haired girl wanted to save her brother (stupid one). So she came to father Solomon and offered him money. As a coin collector i noticed the type of money she offered. There were 3 copper Russian coins - 5 kopeks. Those coins were involved during Ekaterina the Great in 1763-1796 years. And its not Syberia since there were different types of coins. Though landscape doesn't seem to be Russian type at all.

So does it mean that the Story was going in 1763-1796 years in Russia? Would be nice to have some information about this fact. Or they just picked random old coins since they look pretty large and heavy.

An awesome adaptation of the "Little Red Riding Hood" story

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
16 May 2011

I have love fairy tales, and I still do as a 25-year-old woman. Now I had seen trailers for this modern film adaptation of the "Little Red Riding Hood" story. I was shocked by the "12%" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I now had seen the film and I thought it is an awesome werewolf film.

In the film, Red Riding Hood is named Valerie living in a medieval village, and she is torn between two men: her parents had promise her hand to the wealthy blacksmith's son Henry, but she really loves the woodcutter Peter...what to do? Peter and Valerie were just about to run away together, when a werewolf is terrorizing the village, and a witch-hunter known as Father Solomon was called on to track the wolf down. Well, that's all I could tell you folks, you will have to see the film for yourself how it ends.

So anyway, that is all I could talk about and I really love this film.

Little do the critics know

Author: larry lyons from United States
14 March 2011

This movie is a lot better than most critics realize. It is a concrete representation of a really complex universal truth that most people are only vaguely aware of in themselves. Unfortunately, it's the type of truth that will enrage sexually repressed film critics ("sexually repressed film critic" is a redundancy, btw).

Anyway, Catherine Hardwick herself provided a spoiler when she told the world that the story was based on Bruno Bettelheim's *Uses of Enchantment.* Anyone who has read that, or Freud's "Wolf Man" case history, now knows who the wolf is before entering the theater. The big problem, though, is this: Those who are ignorant of the basics will be perplexed by the ending and will not understand the nuances of dialog even a little bit. Those who are in the know will love it though. Amanda Seyfried, Billy Burke and Julie Christie pulled it off perfectly, and it is a pity that a few self-consciously erudite critics will never know.

a review of how the reviews may lie

Author: caylie richardson from United States
11 March 2011

i read all of the following reviews on this movie. they all said it was bad, the worst movie they've ever seen. but! they all had on thing in mind either twilight (yuck) (no effervescence) or mama MIA or even love. i went to the theater hoping for red riding hood and that's what i got this brilliant tale of a girl whose grandma gives her a hood and is love with one guy who isn't her husband. this movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering who is the wolf with the whats happening next. then the so cute. if your a guy then get out this is not a movie for you. so to keep it short and sweet, best red riding hood movie i have ever seen if you decide you hate it please don't think it as twilight or any other movie think of it as...... RED RIDING HOOD......and that's all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey there little red riding hood you are sure looking good your everything a wolf like me would want!!!!!!!!!!!

Walked out of theater, this was so bad.

Author: southphillyitaliana from United States
15 March 2011

This was literally the dumbest movie I've ever seen, and this is coming from someone who sat through 'The Love Guru'.

Let's start with the ridiculous setting. You're led to believe this takes place somewhere in Norway with all the mountains and greenery and fjords you see in the opening, and yet, oddly enough, the entire cast - except for Gary Oldman, who at least attempts to revive his Count Dracula character - has an American accent. They don't even attempt the old standby of faking an English accent. And last I checked, America didn't resemble Middle Earth - at any time in history.

Next, we'll go to the characters, who are extremely undeveloped, and some even go unnamed. Lukas Haas is in the movie, but what's his character's name or role - does anyone know? Because the movie won't tell you. Amanda Seyfried's Valerie is so pointless a character that you never develop a reason to like her or root for her. In fact, I just wanted the wolf to eat her already. The rest of the cast consists of pretty people who can't act their way out of paper bags. Except for Oldman, who can make any terrible movie seem at the very least, okay. The man is too talented to be involved with drivel like this, and one can only assume he really needed the money to take this role. Oh, and I don't want to leave out the two token blacks in the film who serve as Uncle Toms to Oldman's character - whatever that character was, I still can't figure out. Lastly, there's the "werewolf", which looks like something the props department picked up at FAO Schwartz. Oh, and speaks, too. (roll eyes).

By a certain point, you won't care who the werewolf is, you just sit there hoping it comes by and knocks off everyone in the village because they're so dull, you couldn't care less if they live or die.

We walked out after maybe an hour and couldn't get our money back because we didn't leave sooner. Remember the 30-minute rule, folks - after 10 minutes you think the movie will be a major stinker, follow your gut, get up and leave and get your money back because you sure won't get that half hour of your life back.

Dubts

Author: jamievandingen from Netherlands
22 May 2011

This one is what i would like to call a miss-shot! I had a lot of potential and the re-write of the classic story had many ways to become a good thriller. But somehow it failed to suck me in the story! The graphics where fine, not good but fine and the way they shoot the movie was a typical Hollywood style. Nothing innovative here.

To make it a love story is the twist of the movie that will throw you off guard at the end! And that is why its a OK movie ( I voted a 6 out of 10) is the plot that comes as a surprise (short of) Due to the attention you'll give the too lover boys you forget there are others suspects who could be the Wolff!

Visually Enchanting

Author: DrAzIc-ThE-wItCh from United Kingdom
18 April 2011

I've Been Waiting A While To See This Movie And By The Time It Came To Release I Was Reading A Lot Of Bad And Negative Reviews! I'm So Glad I Went Along To Find Out For Myself As I Was Pleased I Didn't Listen To What I Had Read. Visually I Found The Movie Enchanting And Beautiful. The Story Was A Great Twist On The Classic Fairytale And Didn't Disappoint.I Would Say This Movie Was Far Better Than Twilight Of Which It's Being Compared To And Any Fantasy Fan Should Surly Love It. Forget All The Negative Reviews And Go See It For Yourself. This Movie Deserves A Higher Score Than What It's Getting By Far And I Personally Hope There Is A Sequel To Look Forward To :)

"Little Red Riding Hood", Not so Little

Author: bapiano93 from United States
7 April 2011

Red Riding Hood's journey through the forest just took another turn. It is no more the average young folk tale, but now a love story sweeping into the hearts of many individuals. The basics include Red (Valerie), Grandmother, wolf, child hood beau (Peter) and the almost mistake (Henry).

The movie comes with great expectations of a thrilling ride through Red's story with a twist from director, Catherine Hardwicke. The shots were filmed wonderfully with a set laid in a medieval forest village. The costumes made beautifully, clear casting but bad execution of acting.

The story takes of soaring from the lush mountains in the background following Red's masculine tracks. Red's activeness gives the audience a challenge compared to the old passive Red we've heard from the old folk tale, this comes in handy through the movie. Red must keep her stance in order to find out who the wolf "haunting' the village for some time.

The general execution follows most teenagers' deceptional thoughts. Remembering the directors past films, such as "Twilight", Red Riding Hood comes out more gruesome then the Brothers Grimm.

Failed Attempt at a Classical Retelling

Author: ecurtisdesigns from United States
23 March 2011

I had high hopes for this movie, since I have long had a fondness for the classical retelling. Sadly, the movie fails on most every level. The "wolf" is nothing special, and we are not treated to any transformation, merely a shaggy beast that does little to frighten. The plot is formulaic, which I somewhat expected, but without some back-story to explain its origin, or some philosophical discourse about the beast that resides in the souls of each of us, the movie merely plods along as a "who done it". There is no connection between the characters to make one concerned for their plight, the dialogue is without depth, and the general styling of the movie is underwhelming. That being said, the movie is OK, but seemed more like the typical sci-fi channel fair, which is fine if the budget and one's expectations are low. My suggestion, wait until it makes its way to network TV and save your money for something of value.

Not very good

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
5 May 2011

Valerie's village puts out animal bait for the local werewolf so that it doesn't attack people. Valerie is torn between Peter, who she fancies, and Henry, who she doesn't, but she's been promised to him. Then her sister is killed by the werewolf, so the local priest calls in Father Solomon of the werewolf-hunting Inquisition Squad, and...

...oh, it's just too silly for words.

There is some fabulous set design in this movie (although I was puzzled at Valerie's grandmother's forest cottage which is set in the middle of a grove of spiky pines, you know, those pine trees which have spikes instead of branches.

Otherwise, while I like the idea of reinterpreting tradition fairy stories in darker films, this movie is a chaotic, shambolic mess. It simply doesn't know what to be or how to be it. I would have loved to like it, but it is a couple of hours of tedious nonsense with a thread of "Guess who is the werewolf?" running through it. Even Gary Oldman's Father Solomon was a couple of grades below those of his characters which fall under "bizarre" rather than "straightforward,"

Boo!

Author: jeldanao from United States
18 March 2011

I was almost expecting Hardwicke to come through with a David Slade telling of Red Riding Hood, based on the way that the casting of Gary Oldman and the edgy billboards and trailers that desperately screamed "TAKE ME SERIOUSLY." I have to push on the point that I expected so much more with a cast that boasted Gary Oldman and from the studio that JUST brought us Inception and delivered on The Dark Knight not too long ago. Gary, I love you, but please tell me they paid you more money than ever before, you never read the script before agreeing to do this, and/or your in worse financial trouble than Nicolas Cage. PLEASE!!!!!

Billy Burke was obviously cast because he's at the top of Hardwicke's list because of Twilight AND because they figured that would trick every teen girl into seamlessly transferring their love of Kristen Stewart to Amanda Seyfried (who I loved in Letters To Juliet and Dear John). Lukas Haas was cast because he always has a small part in every movie that Leonardo DiCaprio has something to do with, see minor role in Inception. I COULD GO ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON, but I think you get my point.

Well, at least there weren't any vampires

Author: paperback_wizard from United States
15 March 2011

I'm sorry. I really do want to like Catherine Hardwicke's ("Twilight") version of "Red Riding Hood". It has some beautiful shots of the mountains and forests, right from the beginning of the movie. The "big names", Gary Oldman as the wolf-slaying Father Solomon and Julie Christie as Grandmother, did fine jobs in their roles. Even Amanda Seyfried was somewhat impressive as Valerie, the young lady who wears the red hood.

But that's about all the movie has going for it.

The movie is set in a medieval mountain village that, for the past few decades, has had an uneasy truce with a werewolf (don't bother looking for an explanation of how they reached that truce; it's not forthcoming). The villagers leave their best goat or pig or whatever tied to a post each full moon, and the wolf eats that rather than any of the people. But one day, Lucie, Valerie's sister, is mauled to death by the wolf, and the villagers vow vengeance.

Valerie, meanwhile, has been in love with Peter all her life and plans to run away with him before she is forced to marry Henry. The death of her sister, obviously, puts this plan on hold, giving Valerie's mother enough time to tell Valerie that she herself once had to give up the man she loved to marry the "sensible" choice. I have a feeling screenwriter David Johnson ("Orphan") would have preferred to leave at least that little bit of backstory out, as it's terribly cliché and feels nothing but rushed when discussed; but unfortunately, all of this is very necessary plot exposition, and not just so there will be a liberal sprinkling of red herrings during the second half of the movie.

When Father Solomon arrives in the village, he does his best to sow dissension amongst the villagers so as to make discovering who the werewolf is that much easier. The villagers are faced with the reality that the werewolf could be anyone, even someone they love. The mystery of the wolf's identity deepens when it shows itself to Valerie and speaks to her with its mind. This is where the movie started getting interesting again, for me. Werewolves aren't normally a spotlighted movie monster, despite the fact that the Big Bad Wolf is older than Dracula himself. It's great to see a mysterious and somewhat menacing wolf take center stage.

When Valerie is accused of being a witch and set out as bait for the wolf, certain villagers must decide how much to risk to save her. And that's where the movie loses me again. Peter and Henry, played by relative newcomers Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons, have a somewhat … aborted rivalry as the two young men who both want to marry Valerie. Their particular subplot fizzles, especially when they both promise to cut the other's head off if one of them turns out to be the wolf. As a love triangle, it's not even a contest. We're shown, from the beginning, that Valerie has eyes only for Peter. Henry even sees them making out (to put it mildly) and stoically promises Valerie that he won't force her to marry him. Thus ends a plot thread that really didn't have anywhere to go, but that, again, couldn't be cut because of how it tied into the wider plot of the movie.

Valerie has a separate moment with both characters (and with several others) trying to decide if they're the wolf that spoke to her. There's enough red herring in this film to make even the hungriest wolf swear off fish forever. Is it the village priest, played by "Inception"s Lukas Haas? Is it one of the jealous village girls who secretly resent the fact that she's better than them at everything? Is it *gasp* a member of her own family? I assure you, by the time you find out, you'll no longer be engaged enough with the movie to be surprised (if the wolf's identity surprises you at all). It's not that the movie drags on; at just over an hour and a half, it could hardly do that. It's just not interesting enough. The potential was there; the potential for mystery, adventure, action, romance, and even horror. The movie just never reaches far enough into any of those categories. With the few exceptions that I mentioned at the beginning of the article, the acting is nothing to be proud of; the dialogue is misplaced, at best (as are the haircuts); and the ending can hardly be said to "pay out". It's a fair take on one of the world's oldest fairy tales; but as seriously as the movie takes itself, it should have been a little more serious.

(Originally appeared at http://fourthdayuniverse.com/reports)

Quit Linking this movie to Twilight!!!!!!

Author: NateAshton from United States
25 March 2011

First, let me say that I think Amanda Seyfried is one of the greatest & most lovely actresses to ever grace the silver screen. Her performance in Red Riding Hood was nothing short of amazing. Julie Christie was an amazing choice for the role of Valerie's grandmother! She was so sweet but yet so mysterious. Now, when I think Gary Oldman, I think of kindhearted, protecting Inspector Gordon from Batman. In Red Riding Hood, he was cold hearted, demeaning and a superbly complicated, intricate, supernatural hunter named Father Solomon. Max Irons & Shiloh Fernandez totally pulled of the whole "She's Mine and YouCan't Have Her" thing. Kudos to all the aforementioned actors & actresses who pulled of AMAZING performances with an okay script. The movie's visual effects left nothing to be desired. The sets were particularly interesting, very intricate in detail and very believable. {I especially liked Grandmother's house!} The animation of the Werewolf was striking and yet still subtle... I absolutely loved the choice of tree for the woods surrounding the Town & Grandmothers house, they were beautiful in a menacing sort of way. I think this movie is well worth the price of a movie ticket. Its a film that can stand on it's own without being compared to Twilight! Seriously give up your preconceived ideas on how this movie should measure up to Twilight and just sit back, relax & enjoy and enjoy the show!!

The best film I've seen in years!

Author: Timijan Tuparov from Republic of Macedonia
26 May 2011

This is genius! I loved every second of it, every scene of it, every word of it! I haven't seen film that consumed me this much since... I don't even remember! Amanda Seyfried's performance was stunning as always, she's the perfect Red Riding Hood: sweet, goth, dark and just perfectly beautiful! Her soul-mate, Peter, was quite a catch as well. They make the perfect goth couple, which is something I haven't seen in a while. I liked the idea of the first Twilight film, but Robert Pattinson didn't look like a real vampire, nor Kristen Stewart was that dark to end up with a vampire. This is definitely a better Catherine Hardwicke film! I loved the plot as well, the characters and the idea of the forest and the village. I'd like to live there! This is an amazing film! A must see for every goth fan!

It's a really good film :)

Author: sarahrachel6 from United Kingdom
16 April 2011

Despite many people saying this is a badly made film with awful acting, I feel that this is quite an irrational judgement. I watched this film yesterday and I feel that this is one of the best films I have seen. It's not meant to be a film that jumps from all sorts of various sets, it's just a more adult, modern version of the original story and as people know thats not all full of action! Seyfried (Valerie) is a very good actress who plays Red really well! You would never guess who the werewolf is and this film keeps you on your toes throughout the entire length of it allowing the audience to suspect all kinds of the cast, it allows you to be misled I would never have guessed the ending.

Therefore I would really recommend this film to anyone and think people should watch this film and give it a chance rather than judge it because of some bad reviews :)

Worst Movie Ever!!

Author: cateyegrl50-2 from United States
19 March 2011

I feel like my husband and I were robbed not only of our money but precious moments out of our lives by sitting through this movie!! Awful!!! Do not recommend it to anyone of any age! It is a poorly written script, almost like a bad high school play. Jumps around without any time frames. Very, very poorly acted. The only thing that was even a little entertaining to me were the colors and some scenery. This could have been a good movie...if they started over and did it completely different! At times during the movie, I thought that some of the dramatic scenes would increase with depth and draw me in. Each time these moments would deflate as quickly as a balloon released from a person's hand without tying a knot to hold in the air. Choice of most of the actors was very weak. What is truly scary to me, there could actually be a way to do a squeal to this....no, oh please no!!

A benchmark in all cinema to come?

Author: Bollywood_Chewbacca (celebritylargeinflamation@hotmail.com) from Maharashtra
27 March 2011

What do we ask for in a summer blockbuster? What is it that incites hysteria this time every year for whatever dross the studios churn out? Epic hugeness? Blowing stuff up? Romance? Action? Heroes? What are we looking for in a blockbuster? I think it all boils down to thrills! Audiences want the thrill of a woodland pursuit, the thrill of skipping merrily to Grandma's house, the thrill of the spectacular! If that is the case, then Red Riding Hood just might be the greatest summer blockbuster of all time as it also contains something we often don't look for...brains! Well, Red Riding Hood is all about ideas. It's all right there in the title. This film bears an uncanny resemblance, thematically, with DiCaprio's instant classic this year, Inception. Both films investigate in depth the tricks a traumatised mind can play on the individual. Both films are luscious to watch and both films keep the audience firmly outside the realm of reality. However, Red Riding Hood is an even more layered film than Inception and I believe the sci-fi genre setting will prove to be less alienating for audiences than the half-baked noir of Nolan's film.

Yes, the action here is pretty cool, better than the Dark Knight. The camera and stunt work are very good. The music is the same gloomy heavy-handed kind used in Dark Knight (same composer, Hans Zimmerman). But the characters are essentially two-dimensional because everything is secondary to the plot, which in spite of its complexity you can understand well enough because it's all explained to you, endlessly. Even Seyfried wasn't happy with his character and worked with Hardwicke for two months "adding layers" for more emotional depth (see the Rolling Stone interview). But apparently the complexity and ridiculousness of the plot buried that, or Hardwicke just didn't know how to deliver it (come to think of it, this may be a problem with all of her films). Plot over character. Cool factor over emotion.

There is not a single dull moment in Hardwicke's film. There is style, charm and intelligence in every frame of the film. Amanda Seyfried gives a typically flawless performance as the muddled, grieving girl who we never quite trust to be living in the real world. The best part of Red Riding Hood is the large amount of effects which were done in camera. While the film does make use of CGI, there are some pretty mind-blowing practical effects which are as simple as the camera telling beautiful lies; a rare treat these days. This is a blockbuster that ticks all the boxes; smart, sexy (femme fatale, sexy brainy girl, very beautiful men in very beautiful suits) and magical.

Red Riding Hood is the kind of film that reminds me why cinema will never die. Because anyone who thinks it's OK to watch this film on a laptop or iPad is a fool! This is pure cinema, and proud of it. Not to be missed on the big screen!

If you want to watch beautiful landscapes for 2 hours, this is your chance!

Author: proletinchen from United States
21 March 2011

Straight to the point:

PRO: There are many nice views (snowy mountains, that is). CONTRA: There is basically nothing else worth seeing in this movie. This movie has all the potential in the world to be something exciting. Unfortunately it fails- the story, the acting, everything is just flat and , well, pretty stupid. This said, I think the original idea of the movie was really great, but somehow it got lost during the process. Many people blame the director and the script, but I disagree. I think it started as a gory, dark story. But somewhere on the way some of the producers decided, this won't attract enough people, and so they decided to make it more viewer -friendly - so here it is - from a scary dark tale to a nice family story. The problem is, they obviously wanted to cash on Twilight. But Twilight- good or bad, - has a character on its own -its cheesy, yes, its corny, yes, but yet you will always recognize it among other movies (oh yeah the sparkling vampires!). You can't copy 1:1 something and expect the viewer will buy it. Especially when, you replace Robert Pattinson with Shiloh or whatever his name was. I mean, they both can't act, but at least the one is handsome. I just don't recommend this movie to anyone- for the fans of horror movies, as myself- it is not worth it. For the fans of Twilight - you better watch Vampire diaries. I just feel so sorry for all the talented actors in it, and especially for Katherine Hardwicke, since she is one of the few female directors, and she did a good job in most of her other movies. They all were just forced to make something they don't believe in, and it shows on screen how much they all hated it.

Good Fairy Tale gone Bad

Author: tonyjea92 from United States
12 March 2011

i grew up with this story (but then what kid hasn't) so therefore i was happy when i learned that it was being made into a feature film that included amanda seyfried. But i will admit i was apprehensive about the woman who made twilight being the producer of it but that didn't bother me. Boy was i wrong not only is this movie one of the worst ways to tell the story it is completely not what someone would expect unless you watched twilight which i have never seen. The idea of making this film a who done it kind of film was an idiot its not at all what the tale is about nor is it about a girl getting married and falling in love with another boy. Probably whats missing the most from this movie is that the wolf wasn't at all that fearsome to begin with because the attacks are to quick to even see. So my suggestion ms Hardwicke stick to teen vampires and wolves not a classic fairy tale we kids grew on

Great Movie!!!!

Author: kharam99918 from London
19 May 2011

this is the movies that should

the world of movies have from long time

ago the plot is excellent and

the actors was

awesome in this movie that make me feel interesting in the whole movie the special actors in the movie in my opinion is Amanda Seyfried Billy Burke Gary Oldman these actors did they job completely

( Don't waste your time watching terrible movies and save

your money to watch movies like RED RIDING HOOD My Rating is

made me sick!

Author: lessbee59 from United States
17 March 2011

No, the movie actually made me sick!! I was excited about seeing the movie and love Amanda as an actress but from the first scenes, I knew I was in trouble... The motion sickness factor for this movie is WAY too high! I literally left the theater before 1/2 way thru and got sick. There should be warning on movies that use this kind of camera motion before we pay our money!! Otherwise I think the movie would have been fine - the content was OK - the actors OK... No Oscar nominations! The lead boys could have been cuter and more of a love triangle going. I did not get to see the end and would love a play by play of the parts I missed but I guess I will have to talk to someone who has seen the whole thing. Sorry the motion was so bad that I could not have gotten my monies worth!

Enjoyable

Author: rum-punch-blog
12 March 2011

After reading so many negative reviews, I'm compelled to write something. I was looking forward to this movie and went to see it on opening night. The showing was nearly sold-out. Look at who is attached to this film - Catherine Harwick, Leonardo DiCaprio, Amanda Seyfried, Gary Oldman, Julie Christie. With suspended belief, the movie is enjoyable. Look, there are players from both the Twilight and Harry Potter franchises. It's more of the same - dark fantasy perfect for teens. The acting is not bad. Seyfried is stunning, as is Oldman. I'd consider my taste in films to be refined, but I still managed to enjoy this. If you like beautiful wintry scenery and fairy tales, you will get something out of this. The plot is a bit flat, and yes, the characters have curiously American accents but it's not nearly as bad as many say it is. The set and costume design are gorgeous and make up for the inconsistencies. I got my $$s worth.

A Nutshell Review: Red Riding Hood

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
10 March 2011

It's almost inevitable for many to link this to Twilight just because director Catherine Hardwicke is at the helm, and the story having elements of a love triangle coupled with the presence of a werewolf - yes the big bad wolf has evolved from being Big Bad to hulking proportions seen in the Twilight films, but don't let this unwarranted association detract you from what would be quite an adult retelling of this aged old story done in stylized terms and dripping with plenty of sensuality.

The largest credit here will go to the story as re-imagined by David Johnson, crafting something that would appeal to the Twilight generation weaned on a love story with some supernatural elements that many fantasy films of late would have aspired to be, but failed. It's kept relatively simple with the basic character set up of Red Riding Hood, her family, the grandma out in the woods, the wolf and the woodcutter saviour, but updated for the modern audience in quite intelligent, engaging terms, putting together an intriguing guess who mystery with tragic twists.

Amanda Seyfield may have progressed to more adult fare in Atom Egoyan's Chloe, but here retained some girlish innocence with quite the bold, rebellious streak hidden underneath her Valerie's virginal demeanour, forming a long friendship that blossomed into a relationship with woodcutter Peter (Shiloh Fernandez). But alas her family in wanting her to have a better life, betrothed her to blacksmith Henry (Max Irons), whom she is dead set against in marrying. In what would be like taking a leaf from M Night Shayamalan's The Village or Christophe Gans' Brotherhood of the Wolf, the community here is plagued by a werewolf problem, where 20 years of sacrificing animals for a truce have come to naught when Valerie's sister is found murdered, thus sparking off the villager's proactive hunt for the werewolf, coupled with help from the outside coming from Father Solomon (Gary Oldman), and his posse who seem to have abandoned from the Crusades.

Though limited, this film does boast some nicely designed set action pieces in many large scaled battles, where Gary Oldman was at his element in wielding his character's unorthodox brand of justified punishment techniques, and being that self appointed voice in the name of religion to impose his will and style on the villagers. Once again the statement of hypocrisy reared its ugly head as a theme here. The production sets were gorgeous and so were the many costumes, with the crimson cloak and hood making a very striking appearance in stark contrast to the colour schemes around it, leading to very aesthetically pleasing scenes thanks to its picturesque environments and cinematography.

Much has been said about Shiloh Fernandez who is better known as the Edward Reject, but I suppose stardom came late for this star whose good looks here will probably earn him a lot of fans given his alpha-male role. Max Irons too didn't let his lineage down, providing that ample, conflicted fodder for competition. Ah, the choices that a girl has to make to swear allegiance to one camp only. Additional supporting roles from Virginia Madsen, Billy Burke, Julie Christie, Lukas Haas and others all add to the fun in allowing the audience to partake in the deduction of the mystery in the film, which turned out, to me at least, quite the surprise thanks to the many inherent red herrings and suggestions which are more than likely to throw you off track.

Like the reboot of Star Trek, Red Riding Hood is that surprise package in being able to find some common ground and believable rationale to tell the story the way it had to, coupled with recognizable elements from the classic so as not to alienate fans or abandoning what made it stand out altogether. The soundtrack of the film is to die for in my opinion, and I can't get the tunes out of my head, enough to go look for the soundtrack to experience the sensuousness all over again. My, what big features this film had indeed. Recommended!

Grandma, what a bad movie your in

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
17 March 2011

(Synopsis) Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) is a young woman living in a small village whose parents have arranged for her to marry Henry (Max Irons), the successful village blacksmith. However, Valerie grew up with Peter (Shiloh Fernandez), and she has been in love with him most of her life. They are planning on running away together, when her sister is killed by the wolf that has been terrorizing the village. For many years, the wolf has not attacked the village people as long as they provide him food on a full moon. But under a blood red moon, the wolf has now killed a human. The villagers have had enough of this wolf, and they band together to hunt him down and kill it. They are not successful, so they call in Father Solomon (Gary Oldman), because this is no ordinary wolf. Father Solomon warns the people that this wolf takes human form by day, and the wolf could be one of them.

(My Comments) Everyone knows the fairy tale story of Little Red Riding Hood and the big bad wolf. Well, this is not it. The writers have turned that story into a modern werewolf story to capture the teenage audience, who seem to love werewolves. If you saw the movie trailers, you would think this was a scary movie. I don't think you will jump out of your seat once. The acting was below average, and the special effects of the wolf were marginal at best. The only mystery or surprise of the movie that was held to the end was the person who was the werewolf. But by that point I didn't care; actually, by that time, I wanted the werewolf to kill the main cast and end the movie. The actual ending was anti-climatic. If you see this movie, you are most likely to leave the theater disappointed. (Warner Bros. Pictures, Run Time 1:40, PG-13) (3/10)

Wait til Netflix

Author: jthmfan86 from United States
8 March 2011

This movie was absolute trash. It is made by the same guy who brought you Twilight but whereas the twilight movies had the majorly successful books to draw from, this movie just had a bad script. The acting in this movie is pretty atrocious and if you like clenched jawed pretty boys trying to be Robert Pattinson then you're in for a treat. The script is just as bad as the acting, no, wait, it's worse. Bad puns, red herrings and just pointless scenes fill this movie. The camera work is shoddy at best. The movie tries to give suspension and up the fear level by having a shaky cam at times but it just looked sloppy. Overall, wait til this movie is free on netflix and watch it with your friends if you're into making fun of bad movies because you'll have a field day with this one.

A twilight clone

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
14 March 2011

A twilight series clone. Red Riding Hood has a similar storyline to Twilight with the two guys after one girl pursuit, supernatural creatures, and family dynamics. My wife wanted to see this movie! The movie has many gals' idea dream. Two hot guys after one gal, and the forbidden love sub story. Part of the movie is a mix of a werewolf, hunters and Red Riding Hood themes mixed with mystery. Well directed and written. I though the film was okay. My wife loved the movie. Between the two of us we would give the movie a six out of ten. My wife says the same director that did twilight did this movie. You can see her style throughout the film. It is funny how one of the characters looked so much like Edward in Twilight. A good Video on demand movie.

Not your grandma's

Author: jdesando from United States
11 March 2011

"Little Red Riding Hood You sure are lookin' good, You're everything a big, bad wolf could want." Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

It's not your grandmother's Little Red Riding Hood , partly because she's not little anymore (she's a grown up Amanda Seyfried), and partly because this film, Red Riding Hood, has borrowed from the Twilight school of teen longing and the Beastly barn of bad acting. Grimm's tale it is with more sex and carnage.

Valerie (Seyfried) is the titular heroine, torn like Bella between two handsome boys, but not this time between a vampire and a werewolf, just two medieval village guys who must prove their mettle by facing the werewolf that threatens the village but has a discriminating yen for the doe-eyed Val.

As itinerant savior Father Solomon (Oldman) vows to kill the marauding wolf, the good father also influences the town to consider the wolf as living in human shape among them. Conspiracy follows, just a sure as director Catherine Hardwicke from Twilight would want you to think larger social commentary when all you can think is, "Not another Twilight."

Enough already, it's claptrap poorly directed with pauses that sometimes induced laughter in the screening audience. Although the werewolf motif is smartly layered over the old Little Red Riding Hood story, there really is nothing smart about the leaden screenplay.

At the romantic ending, that promises even more of this Twilight crap, the audience gave a round of applause. Now you know why these stories of teen longing are multiplying—it's my fellow Americans encouraging Hollywood to make more sappy films.

A leaden script and an applauding preview audience demand I must increase my dosage of beating-bad-movies garlic.

Twilight - Vampires + Red Hood = Red Riding Hood

Author: Eva Luton (skrypes) from United States
11 March 2011

From the same director who brought the first book of the Twilight (2008) saga to the big screen comes the retelling of a classic fairytale about the young girl who journeys over the river and through the woods to her grandmother's house. For Twihards and fans of the Twilight movies, Red Riding Hood (2011) is just the dose of young, tragic love that you'll need to hold you over until Breaking Dawn (2011) is released and the battle between Team Edward and Team Jacob can rage on. For the rest of the world, you're out of luck with this one, especially if you are a fan of intellectually stimulating dialogue and realistic reactions to extreme terror.

Leading lady Amanda Seyfried, who you may recognize from your favorite chick-flicks as the star in Dear John (2010) and Jennifer's Body (2009), plays the part of Valerie, the doe-eyed villager who has to decide if she'll lead a safe and wealthy life with the silversmith's son, Henry (Max Irons), or abandon her family and village for the devious hottie with whom she claims to love, Peter (Shiloh Fernandez). Her plans to run away with Peter are put on hold when the full moon brings the monthly arrival of the werewolf, who is usually satisfied with a simple animal sacrifice from the villagers. However, to complicate matters, the occurrence of a rare, blood red, full moon allows the werewolf to transform the victims of his choice with a simple bite. Red Riding Hood exemplifies the prototypical who-dun-it tale that will transport you back to your Scooby Doo-watching days (settle down Shaggy; it's not Old Man Jenkins dressed as the haunted scarecrow so that he can claim the gold for himself). The audience is not allowed to sit for more than five minutes without being reminded of the love story that has been weaved into the tale, but love it or hate it, the cheesy romance is what sets this version of the tale apart from the others.

As much as I know Red Riding Hood missed the mark with every audience that does not include oversexed females between the ages of twelve and seventeen, I still find myself wanting to defend it for leaving the ending open for young viewers to fanaticize about what might happen next in the world where werewolves and witches are able to exist. The verdict: teenaged viewers will eat up the supernatural romance story and will not hesitate to add it to their home-theater collection. Mature audiences will find it silly and severely lacking in substance as an interpretation of one of the most famous horror stories of all time. I recommend waiting until it's available for rental, because it's worth a watch, but it's not a brilliant cinematic piece that you'll be discussing and trying to dissect over a family dinner.