IMDb > 8: The Mormon Proposition (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

8: The Mormon Proposition More at IMDbPro »

Spread love, not hate

Author: swell from United States
20 June 2010

I rarely take the time to actually write a review for a movie, but seeing as there are few, it is necessary. First of all, I wouldn't consider this a "hate" film, as previously stated. This is a film about denial of basic human rights and the out-of-state religious organization that donated millions of dollars to put an end to those rights. In fact, more than getting a sense of hatred towards Mormons, the documentary gave me a sense of sadness for the many gay Mormon teens that were driven to suicide or the Mormon families that were forced to donate upwards of $50,000- their whole livelihood- to a campaign so that they would not lose their membership to their church.

But more than anything, this film gave me a strange sense of hope. Sure, Proposition 8 passed. But seeing all of the happy marriages and learning that basically the only reason it did pass was because of the LDS Church gives me hope for a future of equality. I'm happy to live in a state that believes in human rights (MA) and I hope that movement will spread. Nothing will make you believe in gay marriage like Tyler Barrick and Spencer Jones (interviewed in the film). Like Tyler said, "it's simple- this is just love." This film will make you want to fight for that.

A Must-See Documentary That Exposes Truth and Light,

Author: MovieMan250 from West Jordan, UT
2 July 2010

I saw this film at a screening in Park City during the Sundance Film Festival in January of 2010. Admittedly, I am LDS and I identify as a gay man. Obviously, this is a movie that I wanted to see because I had these two elements of my life fighting with each other, both in private (in my own mind) and in public (LDS Church vs. the anti-Proposition 8 movement). First of all, the movie definitely has an agenda. However, the title does not lie; sometimes the truth hurts. Being involved in both of these communities fairly actively, I can tell you that this movie brings the truth about Proposition 8 to light. Where the film crosses the line is in its sometimes sensationalistic portrayal, in how the facts are presented to the audience. The truth is presented, but not in the best way or method. Reed Cowan (director) did try to interview LDS Church officials and spokespeople, but his requests were either denied or ignored. Can people really blame him for this? Criticisms of his film being "too biased" are without knowledge of this fact. A lot has to be said for the documents from the 1990's proving that the anti-gay marriage group in Hawaii was created, staffed, and funded through Mormon means. It may all have been done legally, but that doesn't mean that it was right or moral. A lot of criticism of the film points to the "picking-and-choosing" of which phrases from these documents were highlighted on screen and pointed out to the viewer. This is easily remedied: to see the documents, simply go to "Mormon Gate dot com" and read them. The documents speak for themselves.

it gives some good facts and interviews, if maybe too many strands put together cheaply

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
20 June 2010

8: The Mormon Proposition is not an excellent be-all-end-all look at the saga of the passing of Proposition 8 (what ended same-sex marriage) in California. The direction of the film isn't always in the most... I won't say professional, but that the filmmakers don't use the budget to the best of their abilities. There is music that sounds grafted on from a poor-man's synthesizer, and some of the editing and visual effects is done for lessor effect. On this count only is the previous poster on IMDb correct.

But the film is about something important- or maybe many things crammed into 80 minutes (this, too, is something of a flaw, but not a major one)- which is that the rights of people were taken away from them because a largely select group (over 70% of funds donated to get Prop 8 passed were from Mormons or groups affiliated with them somehow) see that gays and lesbians don't choose to be gay, and are unholy and so on and so on. That or, of course, the 'sanctity' of marriage and how that affects their beliefs. It should be more complex, but in reality it just comes down to money, and an effective (hateful) ad campaign.

Contrary to what the previous poster said, I don't think the film actively sets out to paint all Mormons as hateful, or that the film itself is hateful. The filmmakers basically let the interviewees and the subject matter speak for itself. I don't even think, after seeing the film, that every single Mormon out there is bad or intends harm. But the organization itself, clearly, is corrupted by its top brass, who definitely feel the need to base their belief structure based on the old axiom "God Told Me So", specifically their 'direct line' to the Holy Lord. That this was such a passionate deal to have so much money funneled into the campaign is an insult to the masses of people who just want to marry, for love or (in other cases) for the same protections and rights that marriage affords.

Again, sometimes the documentary can go off a little from its primary subject, albeit for not all ill-intentions or bad results. There's a large chunk of the film, for example, that delves into the suicide rate of Mormons, and the horror for someone who is Gay and a Mormon (specifically a few are interviewed whose parents donated for Prop 8), and those who are homeless or on the streets as teens who are gay and rejected from their homes. This ultimately worked for me because the film is as much about the people and the high emotions running through the issue for all involved (those who are reasonable about it and those who are, well, Senator Buttars and his foaming-at-the-mouth ilk), but the film definitely works best when it tells this story of Prop 8. How did it get passed and what was the outcome.

Revelations---of hate and intolerance

Author: lawrenceb56 from United States
28 June 2010

A powerful little film. Not stylish or in any way long on pretense, but it packs a punch because it takes hatred and religious bigotry on and asks no quarter. The Mormon conceived and backed plans to take on gay marriage in Hawaii and California were carefully orchestrated and done with the hope of remaining out of the spotlight in order to avoid any negative attention. Guess what Church Leadership? This film brings it all around full circle---well, BYU not being invited to join the PAC 10 as an affiliate is really a powerful example of "what goes around, comes around," since this is a church that keeps it foot planted squarely on the necks of gay people but looooves it's football. The great Universities of the PAC 10 can't tolerate a church owned campus that fosters intolerance. How's that for a kick in the stomach Coogs? Cudos and sincere thanks to Mr. Cowan and also to Sundance for leading the way once again and recognizing a fine piece of work. See it and prepare to get mad.

Very important exposure of mixing religion and government

Author: Carla Schmidt Holloway from United States
26 July 2010

Cowan's compelling film-making makes this a one-of-a-kind look into the dirty politics of religious groups who have an axe to grind with people they disapprove of. What I found most true to life about the film was that it did not paint all Mormons as anti-gay or hateful, but it exposed the level of power the Morg has over it's members, and how the leaders of the church are willing to exert that power to their own ends. It was clear that immense pressure was put on all LDS church members regardless of their personal feelings. This is an outrageous hypocrisy by a church that claims such strong beliefs in a person's right to free will and agency.

I am tired to seeing everyone call this film "biased." Simply taking a stand on an issue does not make it biased - it does not unfairly or inaccurately represent the opposing argument or its proponents; that would make it biased. The IRS has listed the LDS church on a list of organizations up to have their tax-exempt status revoked because of their flagrant violation of tax laws in connection with the Yes on 8 campaign. This was Cowan's main point - that the LDS church did wrong in giving so much money, and now the IRS is validating the claims Cowan showed in the film.

I highly recommend this film, and if you like this I also recommend Kirby Dick's Outrage, Sandi Simcha Dubowski's Trembling Before G-d, and Daniel G. Karslake's For the Bible Tells Me So.

Had me crying and made me furious!

Author: preppy-3 from United States
21 June 2010

Frightening documentary on how the Mormons got Proposition 8 (making same-sex marriages illegal) passed. It shows a church secretly getting out the message to all Mormons that gays and lesbians are evil and don't deserve to be married. It covers this with interviews with people involved in the battle and shows how much Mormons hate gays and lesbians. Also they interview a happily married gay couple. Their love for each other comes flying through...and also their sadness when Prop. 8 was passed. Seeing these two men fighting back tears while explaining how the proposition almost destroyed them was heart-wrenching. I broke down crying (and quite a few of the other people in the theatre lost it too). It also made me furious showing how these monsters got their hateful agenda passed. In a way this WAS uplifting too. We now KNOW how they did it--and will make sure it never happens. Powerful and moving.

When history is clear enough to see the damage we have done, we will weep.

Author: lastliberal from United States
13 August 2010

The time for good men and women to stand up and be counted in the fight for humans rights has been heard over and over again throughout the world. The fight for Jews in Nazi Germany, for African Americans in the United States, and for women here and throughout the world goes on. The front lines of the battle now in this country is for full and complete rights for gays and lesbians.

The church, in all it's various names and forms, have been seen throughout history as one of the largest groups either ignoring those whose rights were being violated, or have been complicit in the violations. Here, in this film, we see the Mormon Church joining with the Catholic Church to raise millions to fight against human rights for gays and lesbians in California.

This spectacular documentary shows how these churches hid behind a shell group to fight Proposition 8.

The hate messages of the Mormon faithful was obvious. The church spread their lies, and the sheep just followed.

The worst abuses by the Mormon Church are too horrific to comment on. You have to see the film to understand the cruelty of this so-called religion. They are no different today as the Catholic Church was in the 16th Century.

The bottom line is that the Mormon Church will see that their $22 million spent to spread hate will be money wasted.

Take The Power Back

Author: valis1949 from United States
29 December 2010

8:THE MORMON PROPOSITION provides a blue print as to how Big Money in one state orchestrated the outcome of a propositional ballot in two other states. Out of state Mormon influence and money flooded two state campaigns, Hawaii and California, and managed to sway the election to their political and religious agenda. This film emphatically demonstrates how this type of foreign influence strikes at the heart of the American democratic process. Regardless of your personal beliefs on the Gay Rights Issue, this film is really more about how our system of elections can be subverted by deceptively diabolical political marketing practices. Clearly, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is acting as a political action committee, and this form of ethical extortion by a rich and powerful tax exempt organization needs to be stopped. Supreme Court, where are you?

prop h8

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 February 2011

Reed Cowan's "8: The Mormon Proposition" looks at how the Mormon Church contributed to the infamous Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in California. Supposedly nothing more than a religious organization, the LDS has spent years acting as a political action committee to push hate-filled acts. Interspersed with focus on Prop 8, the documentary looks at life inside Mormonism, and how many gay youths end up homeless in Utah (that Chris Buttars is a REAL CREEP).

A strange irony to this supposed "defense" of marriage is that gays and lesbians can love each other just as much as heterosexuals can (to be certain, Massachusetts, where same-sex marriage is legal, has the lowest divorce rate in the country). Also, another person involved in pushing Prop 8 was Rick Warren, who more recently encouraged the law in Uganda that called for executing gays.

No, it's not the best documentary of all time, but still one that I recommend, just in case people thought that homophobia was dying out. Dustin Lance Black narrates and George Takei appears in footage, while various gays and politicians get interviewed.

Huh, a religious sect that covets power and manipulation; whodathunkit?

Author: blackbonedangel from United States
11 September 2010

Hey, did you hear the good news? Jesus Christ did in fact return to life and was here in these very United States! Also, this guy, Joseph Smith said he found some tablets in the forest or something like that, but nobody ever actually saw them other than Mr. Smith, and now he can have as many wives as he wants! Oh, you didn't hear this? Well, then you're either a logical human being or, more likely, simply not a member of the Mormon church.

So God said that one guy making out with another guy is wrong, so it HAS to be an absolute truth, right? Well, in that case once my daughter hits a certain age I'll be sure to pimp her out, that is if she doesn't mouth off to me and I stone her to death, two things that are promoted in the Bible as God's word; and lets not forget that wonderful concept of man's domination of all on earth leading to such marvelous things as species extinction and global warming (but that's just made up, right? Sort of like an all powerful being; IRONY ALERT.) In case you couldn't get the hint, I am an Atheist, have been for about 10 years now. It wasn't particularly hard work to realize that there is, was nor will there ever be a god in any sense. Sure, some of the mythology from some religions are interesting from a purely story telling aspect, loves me some Norse mythology, but to read a book and take every word written as factual truth is just beyond ridiculous and, obviously, dangerous to the rights of human beings.

Watching the documentary, and seeing the Morons, I'm sorry, Mormons go from door to door surveying people one can't help but recall the treacherous and manipulative methods of the Ku Klux Klan in the early 1900s; they would go from door to door and ask people vague questions; do you love your country? do you love god? do you love your children? etc, etc. Well if you do, SIGN THIS AND JOIN OUR CLUB! and, unfortunately, a ton of people fell for this scheme. It's all about misinformation and fear, really; control the fearful and you have power absolute. Tell them that their children are in grave danger if a man is allowed to marry a man and, unfortunately, 8 times out of 10 they'll vote for whatever you're pushing. This idea that if homosexual couples are allowed to marry will bring about the demise of the United States and all it stands for, you know...the whole every man born equal thing, is so unbelievably absurd that it's making Camus role over in his grave.

I'm not a Stalinist Atheist. I don't feel that if you eliminate religion from the world it would make it a better place (I don't have enough faith in the human condition to be so naive.), you can believe whatever you want, you can preach whatever you feel to be your seriously hilarious truth (like not allowing blacks into your religion until 1978) but once you take your beliefs and use them to manipulate the public into voting for something that is in your best interest then you're a problem through and through. Really, though, it's, again, all a matter of controlling the fearful. I believe in an afterlife because I'm scared to death of...well, death; what happens after we die? Oh, nothing? Total darkness and no more? Well, that's too bleak, so I'll just believe that when I die I'll get all the tang I could ever want; hell, I'll even become a GOD after I die, but in order to get to this point that somebody made up 100 or so years ago I have to be a slave to a group of megalomaniacs.

Seriously? The documentary didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from reading noted science fiction author Orson Scott Card's appalling essay railing against homosexual rights; the fact that these people think that sexuality is a choice that can be reversed just goes to show how intensely they're living in their own little worlds, if this is the case, if something born into a human being is actually a choice....well, in that case you better start rounding up the blind, the deaf, the autistic and, gosh golly, why not the horizontally impaired? Yes, the Mormon church, proponents of eugenics: fantastic.

Oh well, no matter if the church was involved or not the people of California VOTED for the proposition to be put into play; yeah, and Hitler was elected in a democratic system.