IMDb > "Svetlana" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Svetlana" More at IMDbPro »

You CAN Do That On Television

Author: jamie-887 from United States
15 October 2010

Once upon a time, there were un-PC, intelligently-written, utterly raunchy shows for adults.

That time has come again with Svetlana.

Comedienne Iris Bahr (a favorite from her NPR sketches as Fiona Chutney and Svetlana) pushes the envelope with every episode, often to screamingly funny effect. Fans of Curb Your Enthusiam--on which Bahr has appeared--will enjoy plentiful "do I cringe or do I laugh" moments. Seeing Bahr have her "poonani" waxed into a fanciful design, try to hire a driver ("You look like you are the breenk"), make a yoga teacher cry ("Can we do the anal breathing?") and accept unlikely prostitution clients ("Shh-it's Ahmadinejad!") is hilarious.

The music is beyond funny, ranging from upbeat accordion to fake Russian club music, and would make a great CD.

Best Comedy Show on TV

Author: buymore from United States
30 October 2010

Genius, provocative, hilarious, Svetlana will keep you entertained from the beginning to the end! Just imagine to see America through the eyes of a hot Russian immigrant who won't take no for an answer! This fresh and groundbreaking comedy is not typical for American Television. Every episode Svetlana keeps surprising with unexpected story turns. I've been watching re-runs of the show every Thursday and it never gets old! I can only compare Iris Bahr to Tracy Ullmon and I hope Svetlana will do another season soon! How about "Svetlana: the movie"? Iris, please keep those episodes coming, you have created a cult comedy series. This is the most unconventional show on television today!

Iris Bahr and Cast Bring Quirky Fun to HD Net

Author: amannster6 from Los Angeles
30 October 2010

The proof is in the pudding, the sweet and tasty pudding being "Svetlana" and the proof being the acceptance and brave approval of HD Net to air the fun and sometimes politically poking risqué comedy that takes place in "The St. Petersburg House of Discreet Pleasure".

Iris Bahr resembles a catchy tune that you love hear and you always turn the volume up for. Witty and fearless in her comedic exploits that include all walks of life in good hearted fun.

Irina Voronina is Natasha, is the off beat sleeper kind of funny that always catches you off guard with a one two punch of hilarity.

Angelea Gots is my favorite disgruntled artist strumming the guitar strings of all of our hearts on a episode by episode basis.

Katia Hayes... please return from college with avengaence, we miss you.

Alex Veadov as Svetlana's dysfunctional husband with a heart of gold and pocket full of coal. Energetic and reminiscent of Hardy's Laurel, in 2010 terms of course.

In my opinion there must be so much funny material that doesn't make it to the screen that I think a blooper show or funniest moments highlight show is long over due.

BTW when is the full length feature film slated? Believe me it's all coming soon.

Keep up the great work, and keep my regular appointment at the House of Pleasure on Thursdays.

Self ironic, sometimes smart and funny

Author: Mike G from Canada
22 June 2011

People who gave this show bad rating just does not get it. This show has some unique and sometimes quite poignant and hysterically funny dialogs. Initially it looks very cheesy and cheap, and acting is pretty bad, but the screenplay actually smart and Svetlana's take on sex and prostitution is just so plain awesome. The show is very uneven. There are some bland episodes, but sometimes Svetlana would say something subtle which could be easily missed by viewer but if you think about it, it just crack you up. Her "daughters" and husband all have a lot of potential and add to an absurd atmosphere of the St Petersburg House Of Discreet Pleasures. Give this show a try, do not dismiss it after the first episode.

I disliked this, at first ...

Author: noonesherebk
5 November 2011

After seeing the first episode I disliked it and didn't watch another one until some months later. Thinking about it, I realised that the show had made me feel 'uncomfortable'. Great, a show that promoted a reaction. Then I watched more and now I have watched every episode at least once. Vlad has to be my favorite character. Finally a show to poke you in the ribs after so much mediocre drivel on network television. This not a run-of-the-mill comedy that doesn't even make you smile, it's not A N Other 'Cop Show' / 'Medical Mishap' / 'Courtroom Caper'. This is different ... Vive La Différence! (sorry, not Russian) :)

Maybe the worst sitcom of all time

Author: plex from United States
14 October 2010

Real-life braniac, Iris Bahr, has created, written, produced, directed, and starred in this new MA- rated TV sitcom titled Svetlana. Bahr takes on this title role. Flipping through channels I came across this show on the HD-NET Channel. It only shows late at night. I tried in vain to give this show my full attention, but my own good taste and intelligence reigned as I was left to scratch my head, yet again, on how people are getting production deals to get the green-light on such irrefutable garbage as is this poor excuse for a show. Apparently this Brown University graduate had spare time to learn all of the various disciplines she attempts to tackle in producing this show. I think she would have been a much more value to society continuing her studies in cancer, brain, and neuropsychology. The show is poorly written, filled with over used clichés, the acting is flat-out horrible and self-aware, none of the characters are developed, likable, or properly staged. Svetlana is a Russian madam bent on being crass and abrasive, arrogant and aloof. I don't get the point or the relevance of this show. Worth a look if only to see something really terrible.