IMDb > "Mad Men" The Grown-Ups (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mad Men: The Grown-Ups (#3.12)"

"Mad Men" The Grown-Ups (2009)

« Prev | 38 of 92 Episodes | Next »

Great Coordination of Plot & History

Author: DKosty123 from United States
28 May 2011

Against the back drop of the JFK murder this script has some great touches in coordinating Don Drapers life with the actual event. While the country is coming apart seemingly at the seams with all the events in Dallas, Draper's life seems to be falling apart at the same time.

His biggest problem is leaving the key to his home desk drawer in his robe. His wife finds it in the washer and then finds out about his secret life and what he did in the past. She finds out about his divorce, and his family and house in California. Betts loses all her faith in Don and after Don had spent too much time with his kids school teacher it all comes home to roost.

In the office, Don is having problems too. The entire cast is having climate control issues. Everything in the office is falling apart too. Add to this JFK and this episode pulls out a lot of stops getting old footage from the event and showing how it profoundly effects everyone.

What is interesting is how the script does not fall into the trap of everyone wondering where they were when he was shot. Instead, it has a lot of the cast so busy that they don't immediately realize what is going down. Betts, Don's wife seems totally obsessed with what is going on with JFK as the event becomes another crisis in faith with her to go with the loss of confidence in Don.

Wonderfully Different

Author: borowiecsminus from Ossining, NY
21 August 2016

We weren't sure if "Mad Men" would deal with the Kennedy assassination. But when, almost a season back, we saw the wedding invitation that was on that very day, we knew they would. We didn't know when. After all, time in "Mad Men" is strange.

Well, here it is. I was expecting it to happen in the middle of the wedding, but I'm glad it didn't. It's much better, if you ask me, the way they handled it; with a somewhat comic twist. It's interesting how the episode handling the most tragic event in the course of the show is so... funny. And it's good comedy, too. It's very dry. Roger never stops telling one-liners, as per usual in "Mad Men," and there's something darkly funny about how empty the wedding is and their attempts to pretend it's still packed. And of course, the funniest moment in a long time on the show was Roger's phone call with Joan about the wedding. "You should've seen it, Joanie. What. A. Disaster."

With that being said, there's also plenty of room for tragedy in the episode. There's Pete, not getting the job he wanted, and his sulking over it and plans to move on. There's Don and Betty's now increasingly on the rocks marriage, which, by the end, explodes into "I don't love you anymore," one of the most tragic sentences in the show's run. And of course, there's the JFK assassination itself, and everyone's devastating reactions to it. There's a moment, when Peter and Paul Kinsey are talking, with the television on. It's playing some random show, and the volume is low, and it cuts to a mandatory broadcast. They don't notice it, but if you listen closely, it is in fact, the news of the attack. And there's a sinking feeling in your gut that keeps wondering, "when will they look at the TV?"

It's truly one of "Mad Men"'s crowning achievements.

Back on track

Author: rwk2
29 August 2011

What is really memorable from this season so far, now that we're facing down the finale? Betty and Don in Italy, her father bonding over ice cream with Sally, Don remembering oddly disjointed California memories of his past? Heck no. All of that was quite boring actually. Mad Men was on and I was finding odd jobs to do around the house. But then it got better! A guy lost his foot to a lawn mower! Betty confronted Don (finally)! And now JFK's assassination overshadowing--so very, very deservedly overshadowing--a spoiled little rich girl's wedding. THIS is the good stuff. I wonder if the writers felt they were losing people from the slow start of the first half of the season or if this was the concept all along: a bland and outdated first half with a roller coaster ride build-up? What was the purpose of Don taking an unscheduled three weeks to live the weird LA lifestyle? If it was just to set up his "ex" wife for viewers that was as wasted airtime as his underage sex romp with an Olympian fencer's daughter.

But we're back in NY with the company on the chopping block and emotions are running high all around. Let's hope they do something worthy of all this and continue with the much needed rescue of Season 3.