IMDb > Planet Hulk (2010) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Planet Hulk

Planet Hulk (V) More at IMDbPro »

Not as good as the book, but then again, what adaptation is?

Author: nonserviam03 from United States
29 January 2010

Planet Hulk was a year long storyline in the Marvel comics Incredible Hulk series that saw the Hulk betrayed and tricked by the Illuminati, a group of Marvel superheros including Iron Man, Black Bolt, and Dr Strange, blasted into space, and sold into slavery. The story was a sci fi fantasy epic, with incredible writing and character development. It is one of the smartest superhero stories that I have ever read, and that's impressive, considering that it is a story that centers around a character whose dialogue generally used to consist of the words "Hulk," and "Smash," and little else. I never liked the Hulk until I read this book, and after having read it, he's one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Now when I heard that they were doing an animated, straight to DVD feature based on the book, I was elated. The big question now, is how does it measure up? With a resounding "Ehh." Planet Hulk (the movie) is a relatively faithful adaptation, but as it clocks in at only about an hour and fifteen minutes, things had to be changed and cut. No one particular change really bothered me all that much, and I understand a lot of the big ones (leaving out No-Name of the Brood, and swapping Silver Surfer for Beta Ray Bill), but the overall experience suffers from how short the movie is. It seems like with the time they were allotted they had to choose between plot and action, and they chose action. It felt very rushed, and most of the characters besides Hulk seemed almost arbitrary.

That being said, the animation style and the voice acting are top notch and all of the action is very well-done. I don't even dislike this movie, and it really is a fun ride, but I just found myself not caring about the characters nearly as much as I did in the book.

If you haven't read it, you'll enjoy the movie. So watch it, and THEN go read the book.

Great Fun! Marvel Rulz!

Author: magicmark from United States
5 February 2010

Animated films like this one are the reason why Marvel is king. Honestly, most agree that the Marvel Universe is the richest, most entertaining fictional realm ever imagined by man. Now, it's good to see live action and animated features that can match or at least come close enough to the magnitude of the books. While not as complex as the reads themselves, these animated features carry their own level of satisfaction. Just like "Hulk VS" before it, this film delivers the goods. It's more than fun to see Hulk in a gladiatorial setting. It's a blast to see Beta Ray Bill pop in from out of nowhere! When you compare these animated films to their only real competition, it clear to see that Marvel still has the advantage. Planet Hulk makes Green Lantern: Fist Flight look sick by comparison. Hulk VS outclasses the mindless Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and so on. When the foundation is stronger, the things built upon it will be stronger as well.

Hulk is the strongest there is... and so is Marvel. Bring on the Thor animated project!

strikes a fine balance between story and action

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
6 March 2010

this animated offering from marvel is quite good.i liked the story.it's nice to see a little thought put into it once in awhile.it doesn't take a back seat to the action.in fact,i think the balance between the two is about even.the action sequences are well done,and some are fairly graphic,and bloody.this is a 14A film,for sure.the voice acing is terrific here.Rick D. Wasserman provides the Hulk's voice and i don't think anyone could be more suitable.equally as impressive is Paul Dobson as the voice of Beta Ray Bill.i'm also glad they included such a great character in the movie.there are some other great characters as well.for me,Planet Hulk is an 8/10

Good Enough, But I Hope There's a Sequel

Author: JasonLeeSmith from Baltimore, MD
11 February 2010

"Planet Hulk" is an adaptation of a storyline from the "Incredible Hulk" comic book, in which Hulk is exiled to outer space by a bunch of other super-heroes, because he is such a menace on Earth. Of course, things don't go as the heroes plan, and, due to a wormhole in space, instead of being sent to the idyllic, tranquil planet that the heroes intended, Hulk is instead sent to Sakar, a divided world, ravaged by hostile monsters, and ruled by the cruel monarch known as the Red King.

The "Planet Hulk" storyline from the comics was huge, and there was no real way to adapt the entire thing into a movie, as a result, you get a much scaled down version of the story. There is a depth to the comic book which you just don't get in the movie, but the movie never feels rushed, or overly edited, so it scales down the comic book well. The two biggest changes from the comic to the movie are: 1) The Brood character is not present as a member of the Warbound, and 2) Silver Surfer is replaced by Beta Ray Bill as one of the gladiators that Hulk fights. In watching the "Making of" segment, apparently they didn't have the legal rights to use the Silver Surfer (possibly tied up with the company that currently is controlling the rights to the Fantastic Four), so they used Beta Ray Bill instead. He was a good choice, but he (basically an alien version of Thor) is kind of a silly character, who wouldn't be known by anyone but real hardcore Marvel Comics fans.

The movie goes right up to the point where the Red King is defeated. People who have read "Planet Hulk" know that this is not where the storyline ends. Again, the creators explain this in the "Making of" segment, saying that they wanted to make the film self-contained. The end of the comic, ties directly in to "World War Hulk" the next Hulk storyline. Also, the comic ends on a much more depressing note.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie, but really hope they make a sequel that adapts "World War Hulk."

One of Marvel's best animated films

Author: Otaku-sempai from WNY, United States
4 February 2010

I've just finished watching PLANET HULK for the second time; this time with the commentary track by Joshua Fine and Greg Johnson. The second audio commentary by Director Sam Liu, Character Designer Philip Bourassa and Key Background Painter Steve Nicodemus is only on the 2-Disc Edition DVD and Blu-ray disc. I find this to be a very satisfactory movie--one of the best animated films from Marvel so far. I can't comment on the changes from the original 400-page story since I haven't read it; although, many of the changes are discussed on the commentary track and in the "Making of..." featurette. Substituting Beta Ray Bill for the Silver Surfer seemed a bit strange, but I understand the reasons for it and the change works pretty well. I agree that ending the movie on a high note was probably for the best. Further developments can always be explored in a sequel.

The introduction for, and opening sequence to, THOR: TALES OF ASGARD has me jazzed for that movie too. It's a shame that it won't be released until next year, with no other Marvel animated DTV movies announced yet.

Grand Concept, Poor Execution

Author: robertjwilds from United States
28 June 2010

I have been a Hulk and Marvel fan for many years and I'm always excited to see a new Hulk title hit the screen. Perhaps it is my decades of 'fandom' or high expectations, but for me this title just fell into the same category of unfulfilled expectations as other Hulk movies and DVD's have done in the past. I gave this title a mediocre 5/10. This may be good in comparison to other titles of the genre, but it is still a far cry from what an animated Hulk title should be.

*** Spoilers, Spoilers, Spoilers *** The Good 1) The concept of Earth's heroes exiling the Hulk is fun and makes sense based on his history in the Marvel Universe.

2) The shadow warriors possessed interesting chi-like powers, a pseudo-religious faction and a legend of a savior. Their involvement didn't develop nearly as much as I would have liked even though that had more potential to move the story forward than another plot device, the "spikes".

The Mediocre 1) The weakening of Hulk via wormhole travel. I realize there needed to be a mechanism to support the Hulk being able to fit into a "Gladiator" rip-off, but this was entirely random and never explained as the movie developed. You could never tell when or if Hulk recovered from the effects, especially since he was able to be injured badly throughout the film. Making super heroes less super to fit a lack of imagination can never be excused.

2) Beta Ray Bill's inclusion in the movie was fun, but his exit was silly. "We're not tied to the world" and then he flies away. Unlike Thor, Beta Ray Bill came from a horrible background that would have motivated him to stay to help the enslaved people of this world. Instead he bailed and Twilight Hulk stuck around. At the very least it was an odd exit for someone worthy of wielding Mjolnir.

The Bad 1) Little bugs should not be able to stab the Hulk with a spear and nearly cripple him, no matter the weakening effects - it's as bad as having Hulk revert to Banner in mid-fight. There's just no excuse for this. None.

2) Hulk just wasn't that mad. This is possibly the worst part of the movie. Hulk wasn't the rage machine many of us love, he was brooding... I'll watch the Twilight series if I want brooding. I watch the Hulk for unstoppable rage. The Hulk can be angry and still be able to speak. It was just not included in this movie.

3) The emperor wasn't a worthy villain and the arena concept was cliché and a weak device. The Hulk should have Apocalypse level villains. This was a guy in a bad Iron Man suit. This was another reason the movie didn't allow Hulk to be at his 'Hulk Smash!' best. If Hulk would have really reached his smash potential, this villain would have been done in 15 minutes.

A stripped-down story.

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
1 April 2012

Instead of opting for a 6-hour mini-series that fully explores the dense Planet Hulk story we get an 80-minute no-frills interpretation. It's good, but it could have been amazing.

Bruce Banner is gone, and this is not his story. All that remains is the Hulk. The Illuminati banish him from Earth as his rage causes too much destruction. The ship is sucked into a wormhole and transports Hulk to the other side of the Universe to the planet Sakaar. As he emerges from the wreckage he is enslaved (temporarily weakened by the wormhole) and thrown into a Gladiator contest with other slaves. Not taking too kindly to such treatment Hulk strikes back and kickstarts a revolution which will change the whole planet.

A lot of good stuff has been cut out. But on the upside the ending is much better and more upbeat. I just can't help but mourn what could have been though. The Planet Hulk story is truly epic, and to strip it down to the bone doesn't make much sense to me.

Planet Hulk (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
27 January 2012

How I long for a world where this could be live action. A world where Hulk films could get Avatar style budgets and returns. It would be so beautiful. Until that day, I can enjoy the wonderful Marvel Animated films. This is certainly one of their best. It sees the Hulk sent into space and finding his place in the world (another world). We are treated to classic gladiator battles, some excellent supporting characters, and a final battle that doesn't disappoint. It's running time keeps it engaging and fast, mixing the Hulk SMASH! with a little bit of character development. We also get to see Beta Ray Bill being ass kickingly awesome. Overall, a great comic cartoon film with loads of action and wickedness.

Marvel Animated Features has done it again

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
30 March 2010

Marvel Animated Features has done it again. They've taken one of their greatest creations and successfully adapted one of his most well-known tales for the TV screen. Planet Hulk features the green legend in his finest form – huge, angry, and violent as you always expect him to be. There's no David or Bruce Banner to be found here. He's just a raging green behemoth let loose on a warring planet he mistakenly gets in the middle of.

This, once again, is an animated feature done right. It gets straight to the action, while not completely sacrificing story and plot. Why Hulk is being sent in a spacecraft from Earth by the other Avengers is explained quite thoroughly in a span of about 30 seconds and you never question that motivation again through the rest of the 80-some minutes of non-stop forward motion. Come on, what comic book fan isn't going to like this? It has Hulk battling robots and alien monsters in a coliseum atmosphere with swords and brute strength. What's not to like? They even fit in a special appearance of buzz-hero of the hour Thor for good measure.

The animation is good old-fashioned 70's and 80's style, while still being improved upon and current. There's no CGI here – at least not noticeable. It definitely is more in the style vein of Spectacular Spider-Man and Super Hero Squad than the dreadful looking Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

The voice cast has some great talent involved, but no one that is widely known or any big-name actors. The Hulk is voiced by relatively unknown Rick D. Wasserman. It also features voice talent from Kevin Michael Richardson (Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, The Spectacular Spider-Man, The Batman), Liam O'Brien (Wolverine and the X-Men, Afro Samurai: Resurrection), Mark Hildreth (V, Wolverine and the X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, X-Men: Evolution), and Lisa Ann Beley (Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Transformers: Galaxy Force, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Dragon Ball Z).

Overall, this is a great straight-to-DVD entry to add to your collection of Marvel's animated movies. It seems like it's being positively received by comic book fans from what I've read around the net, but there's always going to be the one or two die-hard fans that will complain about it not being completely true to the year's worth of written / drawn story. It might be a bit violent for some youngsters, so don't be tricked by the "Not Rated" marking on the packaging. This is definitely in the PG-13 or at least PG realm.

The Hulk has finally found his place

Author: xamtaro from http://thexamtaroshowvault.blogspot.sg
1 February 2010

They have finally done it. The heroes of earth have finally rid themselves of the dangerous Incredible Hulk, banishing him to the far reaches of space. As one world breathes a sigh of relief at the departure of one of their most dangerous threats, another yearns for the arrival of a prophesied warrior savior. The alien planet Sakaar is ruled under the iron fist of the "Red King" who rose to power after presumably saving the population from a parasitic threat called "The Spikes". Upon landing on this hostile world, the Hulk is taken prisoner and made to fight in gladiatorial combat for the Red King's pleasure. Along the way, he meets new friends, faces new foes and uncovers a conspiracy that would shake the very foundations of life on Sakaar.

Adapting material from the fan favorite comic saga(with a few minor changes), Planet Hulk is an adrenaline pumping hero's journey from slave to savior; following the hulk from his first violent encounter in the arena to his eventual rise to power against the Red King. The action never lets up as the movie rips its way across battle after battle allying the green Goliath with a motley gang of fellow slave fighters and pitting them against foes each deadlier than the last. Complemented by fluid animation and beautifully rendered backgrounds, Planet Hulk is a visual feast for the eyes only suffering slightly from a lack of art detail in the character designs themselves which bears a similar look to the previous "Hulk Vs Thor" animated feature. Boasting a Sleek, stylized and square-ish design aesthetic that allows more attention to be focused on the smoothness of the animation, the character's simple artwork sometimes clashes with the more detailed backgrounds.

Arguably, the Hulk himself is the least interesting of the bunch, but does have a decent amount of character development. On a planet where his fearsome and violent nature is not shunned but praised, the Hulk slowly overcomes his hostility toward others and finds a place among friends who accept him for who he is. The side characters are wonderfully fleshed out too, each of them outcasts with their own demons. Fallen priest Hiroim has to deal with his crisis of faith, Krog the stone Kronan tries to get over his guilt from killing his brothers, even the cowardly Miek slowly grows from a "hider" into a warrior. Voice acting maintains the same high standard that fans have come to expect from Marvel animated movies.

Like this show's portrayal of the Hulk, "Planet Hulk" is a smarter story compared to the blind savage "all action" fury that was "Hulk Vs". Though the story is derivative of so many other "Slave to hero" tales like Spartacus, it is a timeless classic told from a fresh perspective. The battles are a lot more violent than they look, constantly pushing the PG13 film rating(One of the characters gets their eyeballs popped out of their sockets for crying out loud!) and It is counter-balanced by a well paced, straight forward narrative with emotionally engaging characters.

However, some basic knowledge of marvel comics lore would enhance the viewing experience. For starters, it is never explained why the Hulk does not revert back to Bruce Banner when he calms down, nor is the character of "Beta Ray Bill" ever given a proper introduction other than the mention of his name. To viewers who are unfamiliar with the basics of marvel comics characters, Beta Ray Bill may come across as no more than "the horse god of thunder".

This animated Planet Hulk movie may not please the fans of the original Planet Hulk comic series as much due to its compression of a year's worth of story material into a mere 81 minutes, but by letting the film stand on its own merits without comparison to the original comics, it is a sure-fire crowd please. As the incredible Hulk finds a place he where belongs on the planet Sakaar after a shaky hero/threat career on earth, so too does he cement his role as Lionsgate/Marvel Animation's biggest star after an equally shaky history in live action movies and TV series.