IMDb > Oblivion (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Oblivion

Oblivion More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 91: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Don't know why this movie didn't make it

Author: Ron Hardcastle from Southern California
19 August 2013

I have now watched this movie 3 times, and each time have liked it more than I did the first time, and even then I still enjoyed it a lot. I look at the litany of trash on the screen that DOES make a profit and am dismayed that this one was so unsuccessful. First, it's a GORGEOUS movie, and it definitely has a beating heart. I found the acting quite good, the story involving, and was quite moved more than once. And the technical staff was amazing! I suspect that it will do well on home video and cable and that one day we'll look back on it and wonder why in the world it did so poorly in its initial run. I applaud director Kosinsky and his fine team of actors and the legion of other professionals involved in bringing this to the screen. I REALLY enjoyed this movie!

31Jan14: Months later and I've watched it at least once more from my Blu-ray plus find it almost impossible to NOT watch it when I stumble across it on HBO, and I continue to find it absorbing and I STILL can't watch the end of it without crying! I find it embarrassing to write this, but I think I love this movie.

A good movie that is worth seeing but seemed like a big collage of every other sci-fi movie ever made. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
26 April 2013

"I can't shake the feeling that Earth, in spite of all that's happened, Earth is still my home." Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last inhabitants of Earth. Years after a war decimated the planet him and his partner are left to protect the machines taking the water for use on the new home world. One day while he is out investigating something strange happens that changes his life and way of thinking. I was looking forward to this movie not because of Tom Cruise but because it looked interesting. While this is a very good movie and well worth seeing I had to laugh a few times. I don't want to give anything away but this movie is pretty much a mix of every single sci fi movie ever made. Each scene you think they did that in that one movie, or I saw that in that other movie. Serioulsy, think of a sci-fi movie and there is something in this one from that. The movie did have a kind of 80's feel to it which was cool and it is worth seeing but it's really just a collage of sci-fi from 2001 to After Earth (yes the movie that hasn't come out yet is even ripped off). Overall, well worth seeing and a fun game guessing what movie this scene is from. I give it a B+.

Sci-fi done right. Who needs explosions when all you need is atmosphere? No spoilers

Author: ioannis denton from Greece
28 July 2013

If this film was made a decade ago this would be a classic. This is a caliber "Sunshine" by Danny Boyle with Cillian Murphy film. In fact Oblivion shares much with Sunshine. Their 3rd act is kinda lackluster whereas both films feature fantastic memorable scenes. The strength of this film is not it's story ; the story is there i assure you. The strength of this film lies in it's atmosphere, it's fantastic memorable orgasmic soundtrack with the fantastic visual landscapes. Tom Cruise is a great actor and has contributed much to the sci-fi genre. First Minority report and now Oblivion. Tom Cruise , you sir i may dislike you but oh boy at the same time i admire your acting. The film has nothing to do with the trailer and feels fresh compared to all the 80s remakes. After all Scifi films are beginning to rise once again to Hollywood after a long time. This is not a film where action is the orientation, forget michael bay boring uninspiring stuff. Yet there is still action.

If you liked Suhshine (2007) by Danny Boyle and you were amazed by Blade runner and you think Sci-fi does not need explosions but atmospheric scenes then you are going to fall in love with this film. I did.

I enjoyed it

Author: atlasmb from United States
3 May 2013

I recommend Oblivion. The special effects alone make it worth seeing. Unless you choose to watch this film with a chip on your shoulder. Or if you think every homage is merely a rip-off of another film.

There are many references to other sci-fi classics, which I found enjoyable. But I did not dwell on them during my viewing, because I was engaged in the story and the visuals.

I also liked the cast, though, in some ways, they were playing second fiddle to the visuals. The sound and music were also enjoyable (the Led Zep sequence was magical).

This film is best seen on a big screen with theater sound.

Invasion, Recollections and Truth

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 August 2013

In 2077, the human Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) works with his companion Victoria "Vic" (Andrea Riseborough) on the surveillance station Tech 49. Jack repairs drones and his memory was erased as part of the security process to stay on Earth, and he knows that Earth is completely depleted after sixty years of war against the alien invaders Scavengers "Scavs". The aliens have destroyed the moon and were defeated by nuclear weapons and the earthlings have moved to Jupiter's moon Titan since the planet was completely destroyed. Now Jack has to protect the power stations that use the ocean to supply energy to Titan fixing the drones. He also has recollections of a mysterious woman at the Empire State Building when Earth was habitable. Jack and Vic receive instructions from Sally (Melissa Leo), who is located on the space station Tet, and Vic is anxious to leave Earth in two weeks to join the survivors on Titan. However, Jack has a cabin in a secret place where he likes to stay alone.

When the spacecraft Odyssey crashes on Earth, Jack witnesses the drones killing the human crew but he rescues a woman, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who is the woman of his recollections. Julia and Jack recover the flight recorder but they are captured by the Scavengers. Soon they learn that the Scavs are actually a group of humans led by Malcolm Beech (Morgan Freeman) that tells to Jack that the invasion was a lie. Jack does not believe and Malcolm releases Julia and Jack and asks them to go to the radiation zone to find the truth.

"Oblivion" is a great sci-fi movie, with an engaging and entertaining story of alien invasion, recollections from the past and the truth. I am not fan of Tom Cruise, but he has a perfect performance in the role of a man that discovers the truth of the alien invasion. The plot is very well constructed, with intelligent plot points, one of them inspired in "Lunar", and the special effects complement the story as should be. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Oblivion"

Not quite to be cast into "oblivion"

Author: pschofield-292-682589 from United Kingdom
11 April 2013

As the couple at the side of me left about three quarters through the film I realized I should have joined them too as the ending was so predictable. I am sure the final explosion in the sky was taken from "Independance Day" and this just about sums up the film. Bits and pieces from lots of different sci- fi films pieced together with some good cinematography. I now realise why Tom could'nt explain the film when appearing on the Graham Norton Show last week. It's really just a Cruise vehicle and he just isn't an actor of depth and quality to carry this off. On the other hand what a revelation Andrea Riseborough is, fabulous acting. Morgan Freeman plays his normal President/God/Leader of Humanity- (tick the appropriate box part). But overall only a so- so movie. I bracket it with last year's failure to ignite "Prometheus", as a nice movie to watch on TV.Rates no more than a three stars with me

Brilliant

Author: andrevski from New Zealand
22 March 2014

I absolutely love this movie.I have seen it three times and every time I see the beginning(first 5-10 min.)I get goosebumps.I don't know why,maybe is the narrative or the music. M83 have done a perfect score for this movie.Joseph Kosinski knows how to choose the music for his movies.He did a great job with Tron:Legacy by getting Daft Punk to do the score.Visually it is stunning. And I don't care what people say about Tom Cruise,he simply carries the whole movie and is a great actor. To me this is one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made,if not the greatest.And I have seen most of them.It deserves a much higher rating. If you like sci-fi you should definitely see this.Brilliant. 10 out of 10.

A unexpectedly really good movie.

Author: kieran449
8 March 2014

Without revealing any spoilers, I saw this movie "out of the blue". Never saw a trailer (I still haven't). I remember hearing the name of the movie and completely forgot about it, and just decided to take a chance and watch it on cable TV one night. It is a Sci-Fi movie with a human heart, so you don't need to be a science fiction fan to enjoy it. Also, I am not a Tom Cruise addict, but he does a great job in his usual way. In fact, all the actors portray their characters very well.

There is mystery, action, a little bit of love, and some adventure. The beginning is good, there is a high point, and the ending of the movie is satisfactory in my opinion. The special effects are executed in a way not to take away from the story or the plot, and the story does not revolve around them, but rather they are just a part of the story. If you are looking for a good movie to watch, I have to say it is well worth the viewing, not too predictable. Sit back and relax, you'll enjoy this gem.

naysayers are right, but I still liked it

Author: rblaa from Canada
29 September 2013

Reading through the previous reviews, I find myself agreeing with the negative reviews in one sense, but still disagreeing overall. I walked away quite liking this movie.

Most of the complaints are around technical/realism stupidities, or else being a rip-off of previous movies.

Re stupidities: there are plenty, most of the negative reviews are correct, but they miss the point, which is given a more or less silly premise, do the characters fulfill their struggle properly.

For me the answer is strong yes, I tend to respond to the emotions a movie is trying to convey, ultimately this is a story of loss and love, a nice universal theme that always resonates.

Given that theme, the movie's style, effects, music all worked really well to reinforce that. I liked all the performances.

Be careful about critiquing modern SF movies about technical stupidities too much. Most of these have a fatal flaw that would destroy most of them. How about the likelihood of star travel? OK, you have to grant that otherwise most SF movies pretty much fall flat.

But still, the basic premise is not realistic: a star faring race, searching for energy, is not going to bother going to earth for its water, that is so much more easily available anywhere else, energy itself is much more easily accessible without playing with water for fusion, just stay with your own star, mine your own asteroid belt or gas giants.

Sure, it makes no sense for the Tet to make and use human clones, but given that, do we have a good story? I think so.

To me, valid criticisms are when characters, immersed in their realities such as they are, do not act true to their nature. And thus a movie like Prometheus failed since there the highly trained biology experts acted like complete morons.

But that is not the case here. In this movie we have passion, loss, and love, the struggle to persevere.

Plus the drones looked really really cool.

Re copying other movies: get over it. This movie is distinct enough to feel its own. I saw and loved Moon (which granted is the better movie), but I enjoyed this one for what it was.

I think it helped for me to not see any trailers, and to come in with low expectations after hearing about bad reviews.

"I am Jack Harper and I am Home"

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
27 October 2016

For decades it has been an accepted fact of life in Hollywood that, no matter how good the movie, endings are a write-off.

Hollywood has learned the hard way that, no matter how good the film (or the book on which it is based) it is impossible to do an ending which satisfies the writer, the director, the producers, the critics, the audience and (duh!) reviewers like this one.

That is why, for literally as long as there have been movies, endings are changed at the last minute; and often even multiple endings are shot so that survey groups can be brought in to make the final choice.

The reason I gave this brief lecture on the importance of endings is simple -- going into the last 20 minutes, this was a rock solid film with a rock solid script and rock solid performances.

But the ending was ... perfect.

And perfect endings are so rare these days that I needed to write a review for posterity that does nothing except note this for future readers and future viewers.

Are we still an effective team???????????