IMDb > Cosmopolis (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cosmopolis

Cosmopolis More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Bad Lip Reading

Author: adamspride from United States
21 December 2012

I was watching this film and about 10 minutes in I started cracking up because I realized what the film was reminding me of.... Bad Lip Reading. I'm talking about the website where the guy takes a popular movie, like say " Twilight" and redoes all the dialog and it syncs perfectly but it's complete nonsense coming out of the actors mouths. I was dying laughing. The actors keep talking and talking and you are following along and finally get to a point where you're wondering what the hell they are talking about. I swear go to the site.... Bad Lip Reading..... and you will see what I mean. And you will enjoy it much more than this film, which was like watching paint dry.

This is not for me

Author: txzibit from Australia
3 October 2012

Let me just say, I never had an account with IMDb before and I made one 5 minutes ago just so I can comment on this movie, I finished the entire movie last night and boy it felt like forever, all characters are like robot, talks like they're from another planet, most of the scenes are in the limo which is really low budget kinda movie but I read that they spent 20 mil (probably just paying on R-Patz and the rest of the actors), he pees in the car, he had sex in the car, he had a rectal exam in the car.. Summary is I RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY having said that, I still love R-Patz I just think he picked the wrong movie to be in, but everyone needs to get paid so there you have it.

Only Metric saved this film from a 0

Author: darren-153-890810
23 July 2012

I've seen some absolute pretentious rubbish in my time but this will take some beating.

The characters are hideously unlikeable with no depth what so ever. And why the hell does Juliette Binoche get equal billing, she's in the film for 5 minutes, even then she's just get's a good seeing to in the back of the limo.

This is like a really bad version of the most pretentious David Lynch film ever made. It's so far up it's own a** that you're thinking is this a joke?

It's uninteresting, tedious, dull, dreary, mind-numbing, tiresome, lackluster, unexciting, monotonous, repetitive, wearisome, humdrum, uninspiring, bland, insipid, weak, tasteless,lat, flavorless, wishy-featureless, ordinary, dull, lackluster, boring, flat, nondescript, unappealing, vapid, banal.

There you go, I don't want to waste words on reviewing this film because it doesn't deserve any.

The only reason this film gets 2 marks is because my fav band did the soundtrack. The soundtrack actually sounds better without the visuals from the film, which is a first.

Terrible boring waste of time

Author: sdurkin-1 from United States
17 September 2012

One of the worst films I have ever watched. Boring is polite. Not sure how many of the favorable reviews were paid for by the PR organization for the producer, but the rating and comments on IMDb for this film cast doubt on the viability of comments here given my experience with this film and others which are downrated. Highly suggest one avoid one this like the plague. And do not be mislead by the billing of Juliet Binoche for this film. Laughable. The thing that comes to mind for me is WHO CARES about any of the characters? I surely did not. Just look at the movie poster - the movie is as boring and dark as the image of Pattison in the limo suggests. My suggestion - watch something else - anything else.

Not worth watching

Author: Dejan M from Slovenia
16 August 2012

I think this is one of the worst films that I watched. At least worst that I finished watching (just because I wasn't alone). On the end we all agreed that if someone would go out after 20 minutes we would all go.

There's no story... After 30 minutes I was asking myself if there is no story is there any hidden meaning in the dialog. I figured out that even if it is that I don't get it.

I hate that the movie is 90% shoot in one place. There are some scenes that come as a surprise. But you soon get the feeling that you're back in the same scene as before.

I really don't see the point of the movie.

I don't recommend the movie to anyone!

Why?

Author: vLOBOv
2 June 2012

Do you want more? Why?

Cronenberg in my opinion made a full read of our times showing the most respect for DeLillo work. Two genius supported by a secure representation of the actors who were most certainly instructed to bring some charisma of their own (Pattinson and Giamatti). The objects used in the movie give us a real sense of possession and every one of them are there for a reason (limo,gun,etc). The man and what he creates is a well known issue. But What can we do when at the end of the day all we want is just some...more? Why?

With the chewing gum trash movies that come out every day we just need to be thankful for a real statement movie like this. Tank you.

Genius

Author: encorespod-730-851331
6 March 2015

I recently saw this movie and loved it, I came onto to IMDb and was surprised to see it had some very unflattering reviews, I think that's because some people just didn't get it.

Yes the dialogue is contrived and strange, until you realise why.

The whole movie sounds like a poem because it is, the characters are inside out, instead of hearing their boasts we hear their thoughts and if you don't get that point, I can see how you would think this is a bad movie.

However when when you see the genius behind this creative device it all starts to make sense, thats why I'm giving this a decent score.

All in all the movie itself could be any other like it, the underlying theme rather wreaks of 'Collateral' but the turning of the whole movie into a poem and the way the characters introversions are extroverted, genius.

I liked it for that alone, it was a refreshing break from the staleness of forumlaic sensory diversion.

I didn't know it was a Cronenberg until I saw the credits at the end but when I saw that name, it made sense, he always had a thing for the weird and twisting the boundaries of perception.

In this he truly succeeded, even if the storyline itself doesn't stand up to scrutiny, the creativity of the concept has to be admired.

Favourite since "Spider"

Author: darameja from Lithuania
16 December 2014

I have only read two books about directors so far and one of them is David Cronenberg. I have been dedicated fan of his since the time I saw "eXistenZ" after a random recommendation and was left with a feeling "What did I just see?" and a craving to see more. Cronenberg is certainly one of the most unusual people who managed to put their grotesque, weird and uncomfortable imagination onto celluloid (other I can think of is David Lynch, though personally I always had preference for Cronenberg). I have to say, you will most probably not like "Cosmopolis", just like most viewers and critics. You might not even want to attempt to watch it. But if you do like it, chances are: a) you already are a Cronenberg fan b) You need to go and watch the rest of his films. To me, "Cosmopolis" is the best Cronenberg film since "Spider". Not to say that "Eastern Promises" or "History of Violence" were bad films - not at all. But they that's what they were - good films. This one is a CRONENBER film, with Cronenbergeque elements and this magic awkwardness that just draws me into his films. It is one of those daring films of his where director takes up to a novel that nobody else would/could do (others being "Naked Lunch" and "Crash"). It is a near future dystopian film, centering around a very young billionaire who made his money by finding special patterns for trading currencies. We ride with him in a luxurious, tech-enhanced limo through turbulent events in New York. And don't be discouraged that Mr. Twilight Robert Pattison is in the lead role. He does really well showing this detached from reality, too-early- to-be-rich math genius, his social awkwardness, dealing with people more like with math problems than with real humans.

Eric Packer: The logical extension of business is murder.

The whole film is something difficult to put into words, as usual from Cronenberg,. It's an experience, an uncomfortable, awkward and mesmerizing experience.

Vija Kinsky: The more visionary the idea, the more people it leaves behind.

How sweet the down votes here are!

Author: thewakinghour from Japan
4 May 2014

I can't recall a film that so tweaked people. who may be nice enough most of the time but are utter drips and drabs when their emotions and presumptions (and EVERY thought in the craniums of the one-star reviews and the deliciously negative "comments" section is one presumed) are so nakedly un-catered to, off.

There are others who grok what I'm saying. Help put a pack of metaphorical matches in between the toes of these eyes-open-but-asleep bores and light it so that they may "bicycle" to the sky of a novel thought and an experienced emotion.

As artificial, unrealistic and absurd as the novel it closely follows - I liked this very much.

near complete state of alienation

Author: christopher-underwood from United Kingdom
15 March 2014

I have not read the Don DeLillo book this is based upon but this is undoubtedly an intelligent film based upon an intelligent book. This does not mean that the film will be and easy ride. It is not, partly because there are so many thought provoking notions to deal with and partly because Cronenberg is not interested in making things easy for us. The director is an old fashioned gent. He believes the more you put in the more you get out. It is in a way a mirror of the film itself in that we are confronted with a, possibly, not too far distant time when the very, very rich become so by playing with figures, barely understanding what they are doing as the currencies or commodities appreciate and then tumble. To achieve so much with so little physical or actual input can take away the very ability to feel at all. The narrative is briefly interrupted a few times with sudden bursts of sexual activity, soulless, physical bursts that accentuates the extent of the near complete state of alienation. Difficult, powerful and as others have indicated likely to be more rewarding on subsequent viewings.