IMDb > Cosmopolis (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 18 of 20: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

WTF master Cronencerg?

Author: isaiasvalbuena from Venezuela
4 October 2012

I saw in an interview with David Cronenberg in George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight show the host ask him: "I've heard you made the script in 2 days Wow how is that ... Cronenberg response was and I quote: "the word genius comes to mind (in a fun but at the same time cocky way) and then he says no , the book was so good , everything was there.

Now I understand why all the dialogs sound pretentious and over intellectualized , the script and the lack of climax is the problem of this movie. And now I understand why he made it in 2 days , I'm sure as a book is great, but , it seems that he had copy pasted textually all the dialogs , not adapted them to screen and believe me , for me was not a problem of understanding the verbal diarrhea , I even rewind some scenes trying to get the point and I get it , but there was not one :=) I'm not reading a book I'm watching a movie .

Lets name the good things:

For my surprise the best of the film is Robert Pattison performance his distant personality this time was perfect for the character and He has some long takes with excellent actors like Paul Giamaty,Juliete Binoche ,Samantha Morton and never is overshadow by their performances he delivers very well , I never thought he was a bad actor (just the effeminate vampire character hunts he).Another great thing is the supporting cast , beside Sarah Gadon that is beautiful but the character is tasteless but she can act it shows there, but I suppose was the way Cronenberg want it the Characther to be portrait.

At last I'm disappointed and of course I'm big fan of Cronenberg earlier and recent work I like when he get serious like Eastern Promiuses or A Dangerous Method .But this for me was a fail experiment.

But I assure is not as bad as my rating and it have some good moments and things that the Cronenberg fans and another film-goers will like but i'm making a warning with it. Really is maybe 6/10 or 5/10 really, but is a statement and I'm expressing my huge disappointment and all the time I waited for THIS :=( .

1/10 and as Roger Waters wrote on the Wall : Run like Hell....

I regret the time i spent watching this

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
9 October 2012

The biggest mistake you can make is to go to the cinema expecting to enjoy this movie.

This movie is based on a book of the same name by Don DeLillo, David Cronenberg who directed and also co-produced this movie just lifted the words from the book and delivered a non-cinematic film that drags.

The main flaw in this picture will be the dialogue it just involved basically two people at a time, Eric Parker (Robert Pattinson) and the people who come to have sex with him or come to give him a report. The other thing about the dialogue was how vague it was, you must be ready to decipher abstract statements The movie was shut 90% of the time in the Limo of Packer (Pattinson), and the plot was like that of the book: Billionaire Eric Packer (Pattinson) rides slowly across Manhattan in his limousine that he uses as his office while on his way to his preferred barber, we are taking through his day, where he receives reports, have sex, get a doctor visit and witness a protest going on in the streets all this in his Limo.

He later loses all his cash and his life just spirals down.

Pattinson's played a blank character from the beginning of this film till the end, maybe that was what he was told to do, but when you act with no emotions and you are sure you are not playing a vampire then I wonder how you want the audience to be moved by the character.

I regretted the time I spent watching this movie.

www.lagsreviews.com

Hmmm...

Author: flaviomarcelosousa from Portugal
2 June 2012

I just saw David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis and I have no idea what to think of it.

Cosmopolis was advertised as being 'almost unwatchable' because of its literary DNA - i.e. there are too many words in it - and the unity of place, since the story takes place inside a limousine. Well, it is almost unwatchable but for entirely different reasons. The limousine sequences were actually very dynamic and beautifully shot and words are a wonderful thing to have in a film - as long as you use them well.

The problem is the movie doesn't seem to find the right words. The writing was insipid, uninspired and Cosmopolis doesn't have much to say on its important subject matter. I'm not even sure if the movie is pro or against capitalism: Benno Levin (wonderful cameo appearance by Paul Giamatti) was even more repulsive and unlikeable than the young Packer.

Cosmopolis is not a complete failure, though. There are several striking visual moments, the music of Howard Shore and METRIC is brilliant and Pattinson's dazzling good looks were put to great use here. But the final result is simply not good enough.

A masterpiece.

Author: Milouette
1 June 2012

I had a drink and slouched down on the leather seat in the corner, and after a while I never wanted to leave. So private, so peaceful, so safe. I need a limo in my life.

Cosmopolis is a meeting of geniuses. It is a masterpiece. A combination of a genius writer, a genius director and script writer and a genius actor. Shake and stir and we get Cosmopolis; the kind of high quality movie we rarely get to see made, a movie in a genre of its own. A deep, intellectual, intense story with heart. A movie that hits you deeply and stays.

Don DeLillo's fantastic story; with such philosophical depth, such insight into the human mind and the world we live in. A metaphorical limo ride, a life condensed into a day. The life of Eric Packer.

David Cronenberg and his team; creating the world Eric lives in and bringing the story to life in the best of ways. David's sensitive and precise way of filmmaking, providing the needed creative space for the actors and delicately capturing their performances on camera.

Robert Pattinson, immersing himself into the complex character of Eric Packer and giving a mind-blowing performance. The brilliant mind, the intensity, the never ending curiosity, the impulsiveness, the constant hunger in every way, the inner fears, the burdens, the restlessness, the excessive need for control, the combination of growing old too quickly and still being so young. His impatient voice, trying to restrain himself and wait for others to catch up. The people coming and going in his life, as mirrors to who Eric is and where he is heading. The journey to get to know himself, to realize what life is all about and what makes it worth living.

An amazing movie. A movie that will go down in history as an example of filmmaking at its best. A masterpiece.

***

What is life? What is a life?

days, nights, coming, going

people you know, or don't

things happening, or not

stuff you do, stuff you know, or not

you bring all you can

play by all the rules

success, accomplishments, possessions, then what?

is that it?

there has to be more

otherwise, what's the point?

***

50 minutes and turned off

Author: Laura Siddons from United Kingdom
27 November 2012

I cant believe i manged 50mintues of this movie, I was just trying to get a hang of what it was about, and i couldn't so glad i rented it and not bought it. I'm sorry but i can't believe another film of Roberts i won't be buying, it just didn't give me the film vibe i like. Its just about sitting in a limo, talking strange, and sex, also getting a hair cut but i never saw that part. If you like talking and nothing else for the first 50mins watch it but does have sex in it. All the scenes i watched i was getting a headache of trying to keep up with the talk and then the sex scenes where just strange, and his wife or what ever she is meant to be in it her slow talk made the movie so slow. Sorry nope not liking it

The worst film of 2012

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
10 January 2013

¨There's a poem I read in which a rat becomes the unit of currency.¨

Oh David Cronenberg what have thy done? Despite making some great films in the last few years (such as A History of Violence and Eastern Promises) Cronenberg has directed what is in my opinion the worst film of 2012. Cosmopolis is 100 minutes of complete torture, I did not enjoy the experience one bit and was hoping the pace of the film would pick up or that there would be some cool pay off at the end, but neither of those things happened. I can honestly tell you that I considered walking out on this film so many times, but for some reason I decided to stay with it. This is a film I will not be revisiting ever, although I know that in order to understand it completely several viewings need to take place because it is based on a philosophical novel written by Don DeLillo that is hard to follow. The film is very slow paced as you follow the main character for almost the entire film inside his limo talking to several different characters that jump in and out of his vehicle. The dialogues are really profound and pretentious as everything they are talking about serves as a sort of metaphor or symbolism on capitalism. If to understand the dialogues in the novel you need to read them over and over again, imagine how much more difficult it is to understand everything that Cronenberg is trying to throw at you in these dialogues where you can't pause and go back to make sure you listened and interpreted things correctly. The entire film seems to be anti- capitalistic or at least a form of protest against cyber-capitalism and economics in general. The movie does seem to share some parallels with the Occupy Wall Street movement that took place. I don't see how anyone other than those people who have read the novel will understand everything that is going on here. I am not even sure if Cronenberg understood everything that DeLillo was really trying to say in the novel, or if he simply had a different interpretation of things. The film is heavily pretentious and it was just a torturous experience for me, which is too bad because I really enjoyed some of his previous work (especially his films with Viggo Mortensen).

The film centers on Erick Packer (Robert Pattinson) a young billionaire living in Manhattan who decides to get on his limo and drive across town to get a haircut. Despite being warned by his security official, Torval (Kevin Durand), that the President is in the city and that the streets are completely jammed by traffic and protesters, he insists on taking the limo and getting his haircut. Therefore he spends almost the entire day in his limo, only getting off sporadically to grab a bite to eat or talk to his wife, Elise (Sarah Gadon) whom he encounters on several occasions during the day. While he is in the limo he's always talking to someone who he happens to come across, some who work for him and seem to be his advisors, while others some sort of acquaintance like Didi (Juliette Binoche). He even has a doctor get in the limo and do his daily routine medical checkup (including a prostate exam) on him while talking economics with a colleague. Erick encounters all sorts of people and even an angry mob that is protesting in the streets (reminiscent to the Occupy Wall Street movement), but it is something he's willing to do in order to get his haircut. Torval even mentions to him that someone is threatening his life, but Erick continues to move on. The entire drama plays out as a sort of metaphor on economics and capitalism, but the dialogues are really hard to follow as there are so many symbolisms and metaphors which I found very heavy handed and philosophical.

Near the end of the film there is a heavy dialogue scene between Pattinson's character and Paul Giamatti's that I was hoping would pay off for all the effort I put into it by sticking with it, but not even the dependable Paul Giamatti saved this film. I know some people liked this film, and I'm guessing because they probably had read the novel or are into all these philosophical and economical debates that Cronenberg is trying to raise, but I really had a hard time understanding everything that was going on. I wasn't a big fan of Cronenberg's latest film, A Dangerous Method, but that film is a masterpiece compared with Cosmopolis. I really disliked this movie and wasn't entertained with any of the characters or the dialogues they were having. I couldn't connect with this film in the same way other people who enjoyed this might have. I would much rather see Pattinson in Twilight again than watch this film; that is how much I hated this film. I hope Cronenberg returns to his A History of Violence days instead of making these pretentious philosophical movies that seem not to answer any questions in particular. Or maybe I just didn't get it, but I am not willing to sit through a second viewing of this film and wouldn't recommend it to anyone either.

Don't bother watching

Author: Luke Jones
15 December 2012

easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me. easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.easily the worst movie of the year, how this isn't rated 1/10 is beyond me.

Low Budget - Poor Story

Author: kingokocim from United States
17 January 2013

This low budget movie (in my opinion) isn't worth watching.

It immediately begins as one of those movies that you have to pay close attention to understand the storyline. I usually don't mind those types of movies, however this storyline really never caught my interest.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much based on what I've heard about the movie, but I was expecting more. The only good thing about the movie was Robert Pattinson did a good job with his American accent.

Unless you're teen/tween HOT for Robert Pattinson, see another mother.

There are a ton of movies out there.

I just saw Zero Dark Thirty.....what a great movie. It was 2 1/2 hours, but kept my interest the whole movie.

Offal

Author: chnop3
10 January 2013

I tend to like art that appears on canvas. Why? Because, given that I have the intellect and the tools to decipher the medium, I can immediately (or in some short period of time) discern the intended message (or lack thereof) and/or come to the conclusion that the artist is skillful in his/her craft...or not. With a canvas, I don't need to sit through 109 minutes of trite social and psychology commentary to realize that the artist has reached outside his genre and subsequently failed...miserably. Thank you, David Cronenberg, for bringing the world the wonderful piece of offal that is Cosmopolis. Terry Gilliam or Stanley Kubrick you most definitely are not.

By far the most for the pout sos movie

Author: cafeine_01 from Greece
17 October 2012

This movie is epic. Not only you will never understanding why you are still in the theater watching, but how so many people actually worked to produce this pile of....... There is nothing to positively comment, the acting? the plot? the never ending wanna-be-eclectic-but-end-up-being-ridiculous dialogs.

This is not just a matter of taste....this is only a matter, if you liked it then you are an idiot and a hypocrite for trying to defying deep meanings where there is nothing.

BUT! I had a great time watching in Village Cinemas after hours, everyone was laughing with the dialogs (I have an uneven prostate!....great!!!!!).

So go watch it, this movie can be used as an experiment to how much c...p a modern person can take and not complain or ask for a refund or sue the director and the producers.

Page 18 of 20: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]