IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A somewhat tender film that pushes the boundaries of comedy

Author: chrismsawin from United States
13 May 2011

I'm not the biggest Judd Apatow fan, but I do consider his films entertaining. A good majority of the films produced under the Apatow Productions moniker are more than a little amusing, as well. In fact, I'm partial to both Anchorman and Pineapple Express. Despite Apatow's involvement with the film, Bridesmaids didn't really interest me all that much in concept. Another R-rated comedy revolving around a wedding with a mostly female cast? Who cares? The underestimation on my part probably helped the film more than anything as Bridesmaids turned out to be an adult comedy with a little more meat on its bones than the trailers perhaps lead you to believe.

While the film is both filthy and raunchy at times, the foundation of Bridesmaids lies within the relationship between Annie and Lillian. Their chemistry along with the way they both screw up their lives when they're away from one another is the heart and soul of the film. Lillian's marriage falling apart is kind of a given just with how eccentric each character in the main cast is, but Annie's depression, downward spiral, and inability to drive herself forward rather than continuously pushing herself back is key to giving the film an emotional kick that isn't even hinted at in the trailers. Melissa McCarthy steals nearly every scene that she's in thanks to her outrageous antics and incredibly high self esteem. Nearly every one of the bridesmaids gets a good laugh at some point in the film even if a few of them (Reno! 911's Wendi McLendon-Covey and The Office's Ellie Kemper) don't get as much screen time as others.

Bridesmaids almost felt like it was stronger during its more dramatic and softhearted sequences in comparison to the overall comedic atmosphere of the rest of the film, which is weird since it is absolutely a comedy. While the obscene and sometimes scatological jokes used in the film were mostly original in execution and chuckle-worthy at times, it somehow all just felt very familiar to me. The Brazilian food that gave them all food poisoning felt like it borrowed heavily from Dumb & Dumber, the Wilson Phillips joke was funnier in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, while most of the scenes on the airplane seemed to offer a female version of a scene straight out of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with more profanity. Then there's the film itself which was like Wedding Crashers if seen through the eyes of the women in the actual wedding. I guess on one hand, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. All of those comedies are rather exceptional while at least two of them would be considered classics, but that sense of familiarity was still there like Déjà vu sneaking up behind you and trying to tickle you while spewing a constant string of F-bombs.

Bridesmaids is a dirty, vulgar, over the top comedy that attempts to affect your limits of compassion just as much as the extent of your hilarity. While some of the gross-out humor came off as a little much at times, Kristen Wiig is able to prove just how talented she really is. It is at least able to offer an R-rated comedy that both sexes will enjoy, which is more that can be said for most PG-13 romantic comedies. Bridesmaids is an entertaining stumble into borderline comedic genius that will keep people talking about it long after it's relevant.

Worst Movie Ever

Author: pjamok-692-397387 from United States
27 May 2011

Absurd pathetic women, fart, poop, drunk humor that isn't even funny. It is obvious that there is much improv going on as the characters do not connect at all and some of the conversations between characters don't make much sense or tie to the rest of the film. The gags such as the engagement party toast go on and on and on and completely lose the viewer. In real life, people would get arrested and lose their jobs if they did some of this stuff (especially the cop). The gags end up being annoying rather than funny.

I haven't walked out of a movie in decades, but I walked out of this one. Some of the actors are good, but this movies is an abomination and a total waste of money. That's an hour and half and $7.50 I'll never get back. Awful, awful, awful.

Surprisingly Funny and Heartfelt!

Author: moviewizguy from United States
29 April 2011

Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love. (C) Universal

When I saw the trailer for BRIDESMAIDS, I didn't see anything special with it. There were maybe a couple of good jokes in there but nothing really hilarious to make me wanna see it right away. However, after the end credits rolled from a prescreening I went to, I have to admit it: It's freaking hilarious! To put this into perspective, I don't like many modern comedies, so this is saying a lot. There was one sequence in the film that was so funny and so shocking that I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in a film EVER! To say that the trailer doesn't do the film justice is an understatement. However, on the up side, the trailer doesn't show the funniest jokes in the film like most trailers for comedies do these days (don't you hate it when that happens?).

And no. BRIDESMAIDS is not a chick flick. There are some raunchy scenes in here that you have NEVER seen in any other film before. Let's remember, this is a hard R-rated Judd Apatow production, so this film shouldn't be taken very lightly. It's not to say that BRIDESMAIDS is one of the best comedies of the decade. In fact, as much as I laughed throughout the film, it does slow down after the first hour with the second hour not being nearly as funny as the first. Still, I laughed out loud pretty frequently, which is a feat hard to pull off on someone like me.

BRIDESMAIDS is also pretty heartfelt. This is mostly due to the wonderful ensemble cast, who are all fantastic in their own way. Kristen Wiig FINALLY gets the chance to shine in a starring role! Honestly, this girl can carry a film on her own. Maya Rudolph was also great. Seeing the dialogue exchange between her and Wiig made their chemistry feel very authentic which is no surprise since they were in SNL together. It's also fun to see Rose Byrne in more comedic roles, who was also in GET HIM TO THE Greek and this year's sleeper hit, INSIDIOUS(!!).

I think an obvious audience favorite from the group of girls would be Melissa McCarthy. She provides some of the films biggest laughs and for a good reason. Ellie Kemper and Wendi McLendon-Covey are the remainders from the group and they were pretty good, but they aren't as prominent as the other girls. There are also some guys in the cast, most notably Chris O'Dowd and Jon Hamm. O'Dowd did a good job playing Wiig's love interest (and you can pretty much see where this is going...), and Hamm did well for the limited amount of screen time he had.

Sure, BRIDESMAIDS is predictable as hell but so are 99.9% of other modern comedies. However, it's strong proof that one can make a comedy about women without it ever being stupid, sexist, or mean-spirited. Overall, it's just plain old entertaining, hilarious, and heartwarming. Who knew? Also, with the "HANGOVER with girls" comparison, BRIDESMAIDS is a much funnier, insightful, and honest film than THE HANGOVER ever was.

This is how stupid comedy has become and how low brow theater goers are

Author: lslsmusic452 from United States
15 May 2011

This movie was SO AWFUL it gave me a headache. ANYONE who thinks this is humor is out of their mind. It is grotesquely sad to me that in this day and age "humor" has resorted to being a fart, or vomit, or toilet scenes, or comments about body parts and secretion. It's really just disgusting and shows a COMPLETE lack of originality and talent in writers. The scene with the women trying on dresses and getting sick is revolting and gratuitous at best. I found the entire film degrading to women and vile child's play. AND TWO HOURS LONG?!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I had an expectation that it would be silly but just went for a laugh. What I got was depressed and a headache. What is most depressing is that sadly, this generation sees this as humor. And they will never know the likes of great comedic writing and true humor that comes from situation and from brains and true wit. Someone should shoot Jud Apatow. But instead, like many other untalented children in Hollywood - he was probably rewarded with millions in a paycheck and residuals. Oy evay how I long for class and dignity of the "good old days".

A comedy? Really??

Author: dtaber-2 from Poland
18 September 2011

It is by far the worst movie I have seen this year. And I seriously do not understand why is it labeled as a comedy? 80% of the movie it is plain sad. A sad sad movie, about a girl who is miserable. She is lonely, broke, and is loosing her childhood best friend. Between a series of humiliating situations the director decided to add some jokes, or situational gags. I have to admit, a couple of them were funny. But apart from those, we get 2 hours and 10 minutes of a woman being miserable. She is more miserable than Dr. House during hist stay in the mental hospital and after Cuddy dumped him put together.

The only good thing about this the role played by Chris O'Dowd, who is funny and convincing. Too bad, there is only about 25 minutes of him in that 2 hour 10 minutes worth of continuing sadness and misery.

Fart Comedy Meets Chick Flick

Author: donjeffries from United States
28 May 2011

Every time I think Hollywood can sink no lower, they do. I guess this film is considered a great "advance" in the field, because now these horrendous script writers and directors have shown that the girls can fart, defecate, curse and inflict "funny" pain just as well as the boys.

When will this idiocracy we live in finally get sick of "humor" that would have been considered immature for 12 year old boys as recently as twenty years ago? When was the last time a "comedy" was produced in Hollywood that wasn't based exclusively on potty humor and hapless males getting hit in the crotch?

Lorne Michaels should be ashamed of himself, for forcing all these monumental no-talents on America. Kristen Wiig is merely the latest in a long series of thoroughly unfunny, untalented, obnoxious "actors" like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, David Spade, Rob Schneider, etc. Big screen comedies basically have been taken over by the pathetic alumni from SNL and the just as sordidly horrific "talent" emanating from the stable of Judd Apatow.

I wonder if Maya Rudolph-yet another ex-SNL cast member-can appreciate the irony of her appearing in a work of "art" like this, considering that she was one of the stars of Idiocracy. Probably not, considering that none of the SNL people seem to have the slightest appreciation of the brilliant satire Mike Judge employed in that film. Instead, they continue to collect hefty paychecks for contributing ever more filth to our decaying cultural landscape.

is this what Emily Davidson threw herself under a horse for?

Author: ianlouisiana from United Kingdom
27 July 2016

..ok,it was the King's horse and it was at the Derby,so it was a pretty big gesture back in the day when women were regarded a as second - class citizens,so all the more reason to doubt that Miss Davidson intended her sacrifice to pave the way for "Bridesmaids" to portray the gender as equally as foul - mouthed,sex - obsessed and gross as the male. And yet...by some perverted reasoning we have reached this stage where women are applauded (mostly I must say by other women)for exhibiting the worst traits of their opposite numbers. If you want to see women swearing,vomiting,defecating and fxcking then here's your chance. All the women in the audience were hooting with laughter. Miss Davidson,I suspect,would have had an attack of the vapours and wished she had contented herself with waving her fist at the jockey.

The second most gross comedy i have seen

Author: Vlad Alexandru from Bucharest
26 June 2016

Guess Hollywood its out of good comedy screenwriters. Otherwise i cannot figure why almost every of the latest ones have at least one horrible gross scene. I am aching to see a really intelligent comedy like Oscar ( the version with Stallone ) or a brilliant series like Friends or even The Nanny but all i can find is this new style where the most "funny" scenes are supposed to be where someone is vomiting, p**sing, s**tting, having his neck broken etc.

I have barely gotten over the "death at a funeral" diarrhea scene and now i am stuck with the "bridesmades" ones where a women in a bridal dress is sh**ing in the middle of the street while their maids of honor are puking each on each others hair.

This is contemporary humor i guess. For a new generation of viewers.

I Want A Refund Of My Life

Author: hjames-97822 from United States
10 April 2015

Judd Apatow should be ashamed. He claims to have spent $33 million making this thing. What did he spend the other $32,500,000 on? Then Americans alone rewarded him with over a $160 million in receipts. Now I know there's a strong market for garbage out there, but this is ridiculous.

Won't waste my time or yous. I have always enjoyed Ms. Wiig as an actress. She's no screenwriter. (If she is then I'm a hidden genius.) A horrible boorish, dopey waste of everyone's time. Middle aged actors playing parts that should have been better tailored to B grade 20 somethings. It isn't funny even in a slapstick way. It isn't interesting. I was constantly holding back from pressing the fast forward button.

Admittedly I am not a fan of Jon Hamm. He's mediocre in my book as a talent--at best. They tried to push 2.5 minutes of him in a bedroom scene with Wiig as graphic in order ell more tickets I suppose. It is neither graphic (who would want that anyway?) nor is it funny. Well, unless you are a 12 year old boy. They have the mentality that enjoys giggling at this terribleness. Of course, no 12 year old should be seeing this anyway. Nor should you unless you simply do not value 2 hours of your own life.

I bought my copy at a garage sale. Now I know why they were selling. (I got rid of it the same way but took a loss of 50 cents. Happy it's not in the house.)

Worst movie I've seen in a long time

Author: beer_and_veg
8 January 2014

Few movies compel me to write reviews. I am writing this one as a warning. I am not opposed to a romance, but this was such a pathetic attempt, and more about desperation than love. I don't know if this film was supposed to depress me about the current state of marriage, but it did. People spending thousands upon thousands to look good, and thinking everyone should not mind spending a ton on dressing up, on attending or throwing multiple parties and then on at least two gifts. I have a feeling though that I was not supposed to be thinking about all that. Unfortunately the director and writer left me no alternative. What they gave me was an absolutely unbelievable script that was amazingly humourless and painful. ...but not in a good way.

I was hoping for a simple, stupid comedy, but I just got a simple, stupid, depressing, laughable attempt at a movie. The worst part is knowing that so many people out there thought this was a funny and enjoyable movie. jeez, how depressing is that?