IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Worst movie ever!

Author: sonjasway
1 July 2011

The only redeeming parts of this movie were the ones without the other women! A couple of scenes with Kristen Wiig alone were sweet - the ones that weren't attempting to be funny. But as it's marketed as a comedy for and about women and as that it is a massive failure. Does anyone in this generation have the ability to tell a story without attempting to make jokes out of masturbation and bodily functions? This was supposed to be a comedy for women, not 12 year old boys. It takes real skill and a real story to make those things truly funny and not just lame and sad. I have never felt the need to write a review before but the fact that I saw this rated as a 7 something and read a reviews that said this was hilarious upset me. What a waste of film! Don't waste your time or money on this title.

this was one of the stupidest movies I've seen in quite some time, and the local paper rated it five stars. I loved "The Green Lantern," and this was rated only 2.5 stars.

Author: damianbo from United States
20 June 2011

I was very disappointed; I bought into the hype surrounding this movie and found it to be one of the stupidest movies I've seen in quite some time, and the local paper rated it five stars. We were ready to leave after the first twenty minutes but having already spent our money decided to stay and watch on the chance it would get better.....no chance. I absolutely loved "The Green Lantern," and the local paper rated that only one star. I think perhaps someone may have mixed up the ratings. Or it could be that my generation (mid-fifties) expects some value for their money,and doesn't need to be told what to like or dislike. We're not lemmings....But that's what passes for entertainment today, I guess....

Disgusted

Author: beefvonhaggard from United States
22 November 2011

This was just about the worst movie I ever had to watch, will induce mental illness and suicidal thoughts. Your eyes may become permanently rolled back. "A chick flick for dudes" no... its a long horrible waste of time. The story line and acting is an abomination. Kristen Wig not funny, Maya Rudolph dumb, Jessica St. Clair dumb, Melissa McCarthy obnoxious at best along with every other actor in this movie. clichés, douchebag clichés, lousiness, phoniness, crap acting, waste of money, crap script, crap directing. Can't imagine why iwright84 seems to enjoy this demoralizing horse turd so much? I personally wanted to commit self immolation during this movie. Ashamed I ever watched it.

Don't bother wasting your time.

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
23 September 2011

This movie was rubbish. I absolutely hated it, and since it was the last movie that I watched on the plane as I returned from Europe before I arrived home in Adelaide, so it was a rather disappointing end. Anyway, somebody told me that it was like the feminine version of 'The Hangover' and thus my expectations were that it would be a group of women getting up to all sorts of trouble in Las Vegas. However, that was not the case.

I am simply going to say that this is a chick flick with a few fart jokes thrown in to keep the guys amused. Now, I don't mind chick flicks, however they have to be of a very high quality. This movie is not. Basically it is the story of a woman (Annie) that goes through the movie feeling sorry for herself. She has a pointless job (her business had gone bankrupt), is not married (and the only guy that she sees is what one would call a friend with benefits), and basically has no money. However, her best friend (Lillian) is getting married, and she is introduced to her other friends, and suddenly decides that she must compete with another woman for Lillian's approval. However, it is clear that the other woman is not even trying and it is simply because Annie has a very low self esteem.

This movie begins with sex, and that is something that is going to put me off, and it is casual sex at that. Now, a clever movie would open (like this film) with grunts making people think of sex, and then it turns out to be something completely different. That is clever. This movie is far from clever (though that are a couple of amusing moments, though for a two hour long movie, it is a long time to wait for something funny to happen). I personally have no sympathy for the main character, though I guess this is the point of this film, that is for her to come to realise that she is the cause of all her problems.

However that is another American concept that I don't like (not to say that the Australians are any different) and that is that we are responsible for all our problems, and if our life is bad then it is our own fault. Okay, for those of us living in a middle class lifestyle, that may be the case, but it is not always. Take for instance the child born into a poor family in a poor neighbourhood who has no choice but to go to a school that is little more than a glorified day care centre, I would hardly say that this child's problems is entirely his/her fault. However that does not mean that we should not examine our own lives. As Plato once said 'the unexamined life is not worth living'.

This will be a classic!!!

Author: pipercat10 from Illinois
13 May 2011

I thought the acting was outstanding, the writing was superb - funniest movie I've seen in a long time. My husband and I both thought it was hilarious and both consider it a 10. The whole theater was laughing their @#&!&% off!!! There really wasn't a weak link in the acting and the movie never slowed down. It just kept going and going with the laughs. I guarantee this will be a classic for future brides, best friends, and all others that need a laugh. Melissa McCarthy was outstanding. Aside from Kristen Wiig, she made the movie. Everyone's role fit them perfectly and they didn't leave it with a weak ending. It was funny to the end.

this film sucks!!

Author: Peter P from Netherlands
28 July 2011

In my entire life I haven't been so much annoyed and irritated by a movie! Needless to say, my girlfriend and I walked out after 1 hour (the whole movie is about 2 hours long!) This movie is literally fart-poop-vomit ''comedy" with no plot, poor acting, and no point at all. After one hour (with constantly getting worse over time) this movie reached the point in which bridesmaids are vomiting in close shots all over the place and over each other in the fancy bridal shop!! What can I say? At that point I took it as an insult to the audience, who has been so shamefully cheated by the trailers and false marketing to buy the tickets for a ''romantic comedy". Instead, we got this disgusting and terrible movie which is a total waste of money and time and an insult to the common sense, after all. As another reviewer said: giving this movie 1 out of 10 can be considered generous!

Don't waste your time!

Author: arobertson16 from Australia
20 June 2011

I have only one word to describe this movie, AWFUL!!! This is badly written, poorly acted and edited and after about 30 minutes I wanted to walk out, something I have never had the urge to do in the movies before! The whole movie is one bad scene after another and seems only to rely on gross out toilet jokes and other disgusting humor that makes me want to wretch at the thought. It seems a lot of Hollywood movies lately are getting more and more daring on the things they get their actors to say and do. I'm all for realism in movies and I don't object to cursing or natural bodily functions being used in a humorous way but when whole movies seem to be based on these jokes it really starts to wear thin and just seems to be a desperate way to get audiences to laugh out loud. When you take away all the gross out jokes from this movie all we are left with is a nonsensical plot that goes nowhere, characters that seem unrealistic and one dimensional and a feeling that Hollywood has dropped yet another bomb into an already overflowing toilet bowl.

glad when it was over

Author: deestreetderrick from United States
16 May 2011

Went to see this movie on opening night with my wife. My wife laughs at almost anything remotely funny and I didn't hear much out of her for the first 20-30min. I found the best aspect of the movie was the relationship between Kristen Wiigs character and the policeman. I found the parts with the bridesmaids to be be over the top, ridiculous, and annoying. They tried too hard to be funny. I did like Kristen Wiig's character and wouldn't mind seeing her in a romantic comedy. Chris Odowd's character was charming. endearing and was the most real. I was really rooting for him to end up with the girl. In all, the movie has some funny parts (mostly what you see in the trailer) but it would probably have been better to have rented it.

A somewhat tender film that pushes the boundaries of comedy

Author: chrismsawin from United States
13 May 2011

I'm not the biggest Judd Apatow fan, but I do consider his films entertaining. A good majority of the films produced under the Apatow Productions moniker are more than a little amusing, as well. In fact, I'm partial to both Anchorman and Pineapple Express. Despite Apatow's involvement with the film, Bridesmaids didn't really interest me all that much in concept. Another R-rated comedy revolving around a wedding with a mostly female cast? Who cares? The underestimation on my part probably helped the film more than anything as Bridesmaids turned out to be an adult comedy with a little more meat on its bones than the trailers perhaps lead you to believe.

While the film is both filthy and raunchy at times, the foundation of Bridesmaids lies within the relationship between Annie and Lillian. Their chemistry along with the way they both screw up their lives when they're away from one another is the heart and soul of the film. Lillian's marriage falling apart is kind of a given just with how eccentric each character in the main cast is, but Annie's depression, downward spiral, and inability to drive herself forward rather than continuously pushing herself back is key to giving the film an emotional kick that isn't even hinted at in the trailers. Melissa McCarthy steals nearly every scene that she's in thanks to her outrageous antics and incredibly high self esteem. Nearly every one of the bridesmaids gets a good laugh at some point in the film even if a few of them (Reno! 911's Wendi McLendon-Covey and The Office's Ellie Kemper) don't get as much screen time as others.

Bridesmaids almost felt like it was stronger during its more dramatic and softhearted sequences in comparison to the overall comedic atmosphere of the rest of the film, which is weird since it is absolutely a comedy. While the obscene and sometimes scatological jokes used in the film were mostly original in execution and chuckle-worthy at times, it somehow all just felt very familiar to me. The Brazilian food that gave them all food poisoning felt like it borrowed heavily from Dumb & Dumber, the Wilson Phillips joke was funnier in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, while most of the scenes on the airplane seemed to offer a female version of a scene straight out of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with more profanity. Then there's the film itself which was like Wedding Crashers if seen through the eyes of the women in the actual wedding. I guess on one hand, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. All of those comedies are rather exceptional while at least two of them would be considered classics, but that sense of familiarity was still there like Déjà vu sneaking up behind you and trying to tickle you while spewing a constant string of F-bombs.

Bridesmaids is a dirty, vulgar, over the top comedy that attempts to affect your limits of compassion just as much as the extent of your hilarity. While some of the gross-out humor came off as a little much at times, Kristen Wiig is able to prove just how talented she really is. It is at least able to offer an R-rated comedy that both sexes will enjoy, which is more that can be said for most PG-13 romantic comedies. Bridesmaids is an entertaining stumble into borderline comedic genius that will keep people talking about it long after it's relevant.

Worst Movie Ever

Author: pjamok-692-397387 from United States
27 May 2011

Absurd pathetic women, fart, poop, drunk humor that isn't even funny. It is obvious that there is much improv going on as the characters do not connect at all and some of the conversations between characters don't make much sense or tie to the rest of the film. The gags such as the engagement party toast go on and on and on and completely lose the viewer. In real life, people would get arrested and lose their jobs if they did some of this stuff (especially the cop). The gags end up being annoying rather than funny.

I haven't walked out of a movie in decades, but I walked out of this one. Some of the actors are good, but this movies is an abomination and a total waste of money. That's an hour and half and $7.50 I'll never get back. Awful, awful, awful.