IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 40 of 49: [Prev][35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [Next]

Easily one of 2011's best comedies...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
26 June 2011

What's that? You don't know any of these people? Okay, surely you know Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph from SNL right? You don't? You're a sad, poor pathetic monkey if you don't even know at least one of these people....

If you don't know them...you better get used to them because these women are comic gold. That's right...I said it... GOLD... especially Wiig. Why, you ask? Because she not only stars in this masterpiece -- she also wrote it. Oh, have I got your attention now? I thought so.

I don't need to explain the movie --- the synopsis states it pretty damn clear. I mean, really. Annie (Wiig) is broke but wants to give her best friend since grade school (Rudolph) the best bride-to-be experience she can on her very limited budget. A 'newbie friend' (Byrne) outshines her in every single category... and let's face it, guys..... everyone has a breaking point, am I right? Thank goodness that WE are all private individuals who live private lives. I mean... who wants to be there on display when something goes horribly wrong? Count me in if it consists of this hilarious supporting cast. I don't even mind that we get swayed from the main storyline about the wedding.... because the interactions between Annie and her sibling roommates (Wilson and Lucas) and her d*ckhead boss (Hitchcock) make this story even MORE fun.

That's what this review is all about... not spoiling a damn thing. You might leave this article saying... 'he didn't say what the movie is about'..... oh really? It's pretty clear what it's about --- it's about 2 hours long and worth every damn penny -- you want story? Then read the frickin' synopsis.... I'm not about to spoil any surprises in what is clearly gonna be one of this year's best comedies.

More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: A

A smart and funny movie--not just for women

Author: Jim Gilligan from Lafayette, IN
22 June 2011

A very funny movie, "Bridesmaids" is more than just a female take on "The Hangover." Although the movie did contain some thematically Hangover-like elements (general silliness and buffoonery), one scene in particular—and I'm talking about the scene when the bridesmaids all go shopping for their dresses after having dined at a questionable Brazilian restaurant—manages to outgross even some of the raunchiest "guy" movies. Kristen Wiig is hilarious (as always) as the main character whose life is spiraling to rock-bottom (loser boyfriend—played by an uncredited Jon Hamm at his absolute smarmiest, lousy job, bizarre roommates) just as her bff (Maya Rudolph) is planning her wedding with the assistance of a new buttinsky bff, played with appropriately haughty aplomb by Rose Byrne. Melissa McCarthy is offensively hilarious as the earthy sister-of-the-groom who lacks any sense of tact, and Jill Clayburgh (in her final film role) is quirkily earnest as Wiig's mom. Although the film devolves somewhat into a typical happily-ever-after master narrative (Wiig's character really can't be happy until she finds a man—luckily, that man is played by the handsome and charming Irish actor Chris O'Dowd), its sharp sense of humor and caustic wit definitely make it worth seeing. And just try to resist singing along to Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" during the wedding scene.

Funny movie, even for guys!

Author: gfouty2001 from United States
22 June 2011

This is going to be short and sweet as there are a lot of reviews that go into really good detail.

Here is the thing, if you don't have a sense of humor or don't like crude humor, don't see this movie. Some of the reviews on here are just ridiculous. "It wasn't what I expected from the previews". Really? It was EXACTLY what I thought it was going to be from the previews. Do you not watch SNL? What previews were you watching? I thought the movie was really funny and the only reason I saw it was because I lost a bet with my wife (I wanted to see X-men: First Class).

I love Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph on SNL so I knew they were funny but I didn't know they could act as well. The chemistry between the two of them really makes the movie for me. Maybe because they have spent so many years together on SNL or maybe they really are best friends but you really believe that the two of them are best friends. The dialog between the two just seems real.

So is short, this humor is not for everyone but to think it is any different than the previews is just moronic.

Good Movie. Go see it!

About time we saw the ladies behaving badly

Author: paulf-61 from United Kingdom
18 June 2011

Bridesmaids, the latest film from producer Judd Apatow, is a little different from his usual male-driven comedies. Instead of a group of guys having a long series of amusing mishaps, this time it's the girls. Or rather one girl: Annie, played brilliantly by Kristen Wiig, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Annie Mumolo.

The film follows Annie in her adventures as maid of honour to life–long friend Lillian (Rudolph). She already has her fair share of troubles (roommates, job, money, car, failed business etc.), and now she's in competition with ridiculously rich Helen (Byrne) for the role of best friend/best bridesmaid to Lillian.

There are a lot of jokes in this movie; almost all of them are hilarious and not always the gross-you-out kind, which we tend to see a lot of these days. There is the food poisoning bit, which as an idea is pretty disgusting(ly funny), but apart from some vomit, you don't see anything gross. As well as the lack of revolting images, it's also nice to see a comedy where all the best jokes aren't used in the trailer. Yes, the food poisoning and the plane scenes are set up, and the roommates are introduced (Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson as the British siblings she share the apartment with), but watching the whole thing is much, much funnier.

The film does have an actual story going on besides the bridesmaids' antics, and some drama to go with our troubled character. The breather in between all the jokes is welcome, and a little bit necessary. Some jokes wouldn't work so well if the audience is still laughing from the last one. The pause is always cut appropriately short, usually courtesy of Megan, the groom's sister (McCarthy). She also manages to save Annie's self-pitying from getting annoying. Watching her cry at Cast Away can only be so funny. However, it is so difficult not to laugh for the most of the movie that these small moments are easily forgiven.

Some parts of the storyline weren't fully developed. The bit between Rita and Becca (the other two bridesmaids, played by Wendy McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on the plane didn't really go anywhere after that scene. I didn't find it that funny, so it's not like I wanted it to go somewhere, but it's an odd moment in my memory of the film. Also, the character of Annie's mother (Jill Clayburgh) could have been really funny if it had gone further, but she barely had two scenes. She goes to Alcoholics Anonymous but she's never had a drink in her life. I wanted to know more.

For a movie written by two women the characters are a little more clichéd than I would expect, but if it works, I guess it doesn't really matter. Rudolph as the bride and Wiig, Byrne and the other three as her bridesmaids make a really good ensemble. There won't be a moment you won't have a smile on your face, if you're not already crying with laughter. The film seems to be aimed at a female audience, but hopefully the Apatow name will bring the guys in as well, because there is no one (of the appropriate age) who would not enjoy this!

Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Too

Author: puffball97 from United States
30 May 2011

Throughout the years, gross-out comedies would revolve around groups of guys ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin,", "Wedding Crashers," "The Hangover" and now "The Hangover 2," which I have no intention on seeing since I didn't like the first "Hangover," "Hot Tub Time Machine," and "Dinner for Schmucks," from more recent years) or just one girl who is the object of desire of many guys ("There's Something About Mary"). But now, there is a twist. The girls are the protagonists of gross-out.

Raunchmeister Judd Apatow is the producer. Paul Feig is the director. They treated the ladies the same way men would get treated in gross out movies. The ladies would drink, cuss, tear each other apart, and would have so much fun doing all that.

"Saturday Night Live" alum Kristen Wiig is the star of the movie. She is Annie, a young woman whose life is on the rocks when her best childhood girlfriend Lillian (fellow SNL alum Maya Rudolph) asks her to be the maid of honor at her upcoming wedding. Her love life is not so lovely and she lost two jobs. She beds one man, but has the eye for a police officer who continually runs into her on the streets and everywhere else. Complications come when there are four other bridesmaids on the scene, and all of them duke it out.

Expectedly, the best work comes from heavyset actress Melissa McCarthy as the tough as nails Megan, the sister of the groom. There is always that principle where the least attractive actor/actress becomes the most attractive when they get the best and funniest lines, steals the show from everyone else, and no one else can be as funny or clever, not even the leads. Surely enough, the filmmakers are doing her a favor where beauty is only skin deep, and they are right. The other three "beautiful" bridesmaids are Rose Byrne as Helen, who becomes a fierce rival for Lillian as the matron of honor as she is the trophy wife of the groom's boss, Wendy McLendon-Covey as the tall blonde Rita, an aggressive foul-mouthed stepmother of equally foul-mouthed children, and Ellie Kemper as Becca, the most sensitive bridesmaid who is newly married and feels the sorriest for Annie because she is still single. Lesson to be learned: Never take your beauty for granted. You can be sexy because of your brain.

There are numerous gross out gags that pop up and keep you laughing out loud. But there is a lot of heart as well so we won't think it's just another rambunctious comedy. Due to Jill Clayburgh's recent death, her presence is the most bittersweet. She did have very funny lines as Annie's lustful mother, although she looked wan and weak. It was nice to have a funny comedy be her swan song for her distinguished and respectable career.

Have a great time and laugh. Bring all your friends to see "Bridemaids" and you'll be glad you did.

Hold On

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
29 May 2011

Greetings again from the darkness. Kristen Wiig is everywhere these days. If you don't know the name, you certainly know her face. She is credited with 26 projects since 2009 - and that doesn't even count her weekly work on Saturday Night Live. She is the new Tina Faye ... even though the old Tina Faye is still going very strong.

While I have little doubt that the success of The Hangover was a driving force behind the creation of this film, Ms. Wiig's writing and acting talent elevate this mixture of chick-flick and comedy into one of the finest female film comedies in quite awhile. That's probably not strong enough praise since that category is a bit sparse, but as a guy who gets really tired of the formulaic chick-flick rom-coms and sappy dramas, I found the film to be quite refreshing.

Sure, there are many similarities between this and The Hangover, but the key difference is that the element of female friendship is never far away from the often raunchy comedy we are witnessing. Women so value their BFF's and Ms. Wiig and her writing partner Annie Mumolo (seen as a nervous plane passenger) never lose sight of this.

Also key to any group of female activity is the competitive nature and envious mutterings. They try so hard to appear happy for their friends, when often they are blinded by the current funk in which they find their own life. And look out when a beautiful, rich "new" friend enters the picture. The real fireworks begin ... even in the battle for the last word on the mic at the engagement party! I am not going to give away any of the punchlines or set-ups, but I will highlight the cast. Maya Rudolph is Lillian, the bride to be and lifelong friend of Annie (Wiig); Ellie Kemper (The Office) is Becca, the goody-two shoes newlywed; Wendi McLendon-Covey (Reno 911) is Rita, the bitter, frustrated long-time mother and wife looking for inspiration; Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly, Gilmore Girls) is Megan, the slapstick, gross-out comedy relief; Rose Byrne is Helen, the aforementioned seemingly perfect "new" friend; Chris O'Dowd (Blind Swordsman in Dinner for Schmucks) is Officer Rhodes, the nice guy who has a crush on Annie; Jon Hamm (Mad Men) as Annie's Porsche driving bootie call; and Jill Clayburgh (her final film role) as Annie's mom.

Here is hoping Ms. Wiig continues to push the boundaries of creative comedy for women. I for one look forward to seeing women on screen as more than just love interests and femme fatales.

Could be a good horror movie...

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
27 May 2011

I wasn't so sure about seeing Bridesmaids, it seems every movie with a female lead in a comedy just doesn't work. But I kept hearing great reviews from friends at work, so my girlfriends and I decided to check it out and see if it was worth the hype, but I went in with an extremely good attitude. However once again my girlfriends say how I'm no fun to take to a chick flick because I just thought this was OK. The beginning of the film seemed so promising, I've been waiting for a movie where it would be like the female Hangover. I was maid of honor at my friend's wedding last year and one thing I didn't realize that came with that package is also that you can get quite a bit of jealousy from others and some real competition. It's amazing how seriously women take bridesmaids positions so seriously, but it'd be a great comedy. The problem is that this film fell back into typical formula and became very predictable.

Annie and Lillian have been best friends since their childhood days growing up; when Lillian gets engaged, she asks Annie to be her maid of honor. Lillian also selects four bridesmaids: Helen, the wealthy wife of Lillian's fiancé's boss and new close friend; Becca, a newlywed who loves marriage; Megan, the outgoing sister of the groom; and Rita, a relative who is dissatisfied with her marriage and three sons. While the wedding preparations continue, Annie's personal life is falling apart. Her cake shop went bankrupt, forcing her to take a job at a jewelry store where she is an ineffective saleswoman and makes very little money. She is kicked out of the apartment that she shares with a pair of invasive twins. Despite advice from her friends, Annie is in the midst of a self destructive relationship with a man who only thinks of her as a sex buddy. Annie's chaotic personal life, budget restrictions, and insecurity about Lillian and Helen's friendship begin to take their toll as the wedding draws nearer.

I don't want to complain completely about the movie, the main thing that I found very entertaining was the character Megan played by Melissa McCarthy. I think because she felt like the most real character, she was extremely likable. Kristen Wiig is a very good lead and I found her character while annoying at times, very relatable where sometimes it feels like when it rains it pours. Her and Melissa really carried the film well and had the most laughs. I just wished they had also maybe toned the jokes down, there were three jokes that dragged on forever. The engagement party toast competition, it was starting off really funny, but then dragged on a bit. Then the airplane, where Kristen Wiig is high off of a drug and drunk, so you can tell she was improvising but again it went on a little too long and started to get uncomfortable. And then when she was trying to get pulled over, I got the point after the 3rd joke within a joke. I just thought these jokes if edited correctly, it would have gotten a bigger laugh from me.

But the one thing I cannot deny is that this film was something special for the audience because the lady next to me was laughing hysterically, annoying a little bit, but maybe I'm just missing something or I have become too harsh on films. Like I said, there are some great laughs, I just felt that the ending lost it into being too predictable and that it should have been more about the competition between the bridesmaids. But I would say this is a solid rental, it was over all very harmless and I would say decent enough comedy especially with Kristen and Megan, they made it worth the watch.

An enjoyable raunchy chick flick.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
25 May 2011

Annie(Kristen Wiig) is thrilled to be maid of honor at best friends wedding, she is Lillian(Maya Rudolph), someone that Annie has known since forever. But this flattery doesn't last, when Annie meets Helen(Rose Byne), Lillian other friend, and she is very rich, and Annie starts to feel like she being kicked to the curbed. She also meets the other bridesmaids, Megan(Melissa McCarthy), Becca(Ellie Kemper), Rita(Wendi Mclendon-Covey).

You just gotta call this the female hangover, it was fun ride, it is pretty funny. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy pretty much took this movie, the others where alright, but Wiig and McCarthy are up there with Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, and Steve Carrell.

Hellarious!

Author: Erin Viviani
25 May 2011

Bridesmaids is a very funny movie of all times! I kept laughing the whole time when it came to jokes. I also thought the movie was HILARIOUS!!! The movie was packed so I didn't really focus at the beginning because I was looking for a seat but the beginning wasn't really a major part in the movie. The movie will absolutely not get boring even for a second or two. The women in this movie are naughty and funny. Sometimes, I would feel sorry for the main characters at some time. I would recommend this movie to people who love comedies, romance, and naughty bits. There is a lot of things going on this movie. I give it a 10. You absolutely need to see this movie!

In a class by itself

Author: billyweeds from New York City
24 May 2011

This movie is one of a kind--the only screamingly funny comedy which also makes you really care about its characters. It's one of the best comedies in the history of movies, and certainly the best comedy of the last decade...and beyond.

How often has a movie made you fall out of your chair with laughter and then, not ten seconds later, tugged at your heartstrings? This great film has that effect.

Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy deserve starring and supporting Oscars respectively, and Wiig deserves a writing award to boot. The whole cast, from Rose Byrne to Chris O'Dowd to Maya Rudolph to Jon Hamm, deserves outspoken praise. The movie is quite indescribably wonderful.