IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 40 of 49: [Prev][35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [Next]

Delivers the laughs but remembers to keep the warmth and heart in there too

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

I'd not had my fill of Judd Apatow movies when it came to Bridesmaids being released, but to be honest I was wondering how he managed to get as much success as he had and I had not loved his films as much as everyone else; so, although he was only executive producer of this, it was enough to make me wonder if it was worth the money. I went anyway and was pleased to find that the film not only did his style of humour but did it in such a way that the viewer is along for the ride and cares about the film rather than being on the outside, which I had found can happen with some of his own stuff.

Bridesmaids follows a group of women mostly in their mid-30's and focuses on Annie, who is semi-trapped in a f-buddy "relationship" because it is at least something even though it is not what she wants. When her best friend gets engaged, Annie finds herself in a battle of one-upmanship with Lillian's new friend Helen (who is quite wealthy) in terms of showering the bride-to-be with love. At the same time as losing these battles, Annie's unhappiness also ruins other aspects of her life. It is a fairly relatable tale, even for men but more importantly it is very funny.

In terms of the majority of the film what we have is a serious of comic misadventures for Annie as nice ideas turn sour; a pre-fitting meal turns into a terrible toilet-related experience, a fear of flying sees her drunk at 40000 feet and so on. All of it is pretty much par for the course (indeed the female characters even talk in the "dude" language of Apatow's films) but yet it works because it has energy and imagination in its execution. The script is tight as a drum and the awkward aspect of the comedy is well used. What really made it work for me though, was that I felt the film had a genuine heart and warmth to it that isn't always there with similar films. I understood Annie and also cared for her, so I had a connection to the film beyond waiting for the next laugh. Although the comedy did involve nudity, sex, bodily functions and swearing, it never felt cruel towards the characters or that any of the characters were simply written that way to get a laugh. Even with Megan, she was a funny character, but she was still a character I liked rather than just being the butt of jokes. I laughed frequently throughout but at the same time still cared about the characters.

The cast are all good even though it is the oddest cast selection I have seen in quite some time – so many odd sources, so many faces I know from TV (some of whom never even had a word to say). Wiig is really relatable and funny, with just enough edge of pained loneliness to carry that side of the film; OK she should pay 50% of her fee for this to Tina Fey because of how much of Fey is in her performance, but it works nonetheless. Rudolph is really natural and the rest of the group all have a similar air of realism. McCarthy is hilarious, even in little asides she is great; Kemper sort of repeats her Office turn to good effect; St Claire is funny in a limited way while Byrne is just a perfect bitch with money and fake smiles. The supporting cast beyond this are such an odd mix of names and faces that even a few days later I'm still thinking "how did all of that come together". Firstly the male lead is an Irish comedian famous for a UK sitcom; O'Dowd does a great job and I thought he had an easy chemistry that worked so well with Wiig, but he was still an odd find. Matt Lucas is here too, and there's Terry Crews in a tiny role (Everybody Hates Chris), and the N.General from Deadwood (Ajaye), and John Hamm, and Michael Scott's old boss David from The Office (who doesn't even get a word); it is an unusual cast to say the least but yet it works because everyone (even small roles) are on point.

Bridesmaids is not too different from similar pack comedies that deal with grownup "dudes" struggling with adult life, but yet as an end product it is stronger than these similar products. That the stars are women is neither here nor there, the difference is that although the very funny comedy is based on bodily functions, sex and exaggeration as normal, Bridesmaids remembers that it helps to like the characters involved and that it helps to give the film at least some heart and warmth. It is this sense of charm and warmth that made the difference for me – not only was I laughing frequently, but I actually liked the film for how nice it was as well.

Saw this movie with my girl and I found this movie to be pretty impressive!

Author: Sheeda Jackson from Denmark
27 July 2011

There were no other good movies running, so she insisted we go and watch this one. I was standing in the queue for the ticket and I was thinking, am I the only guy around here? I saw girls all around me, horrible sight.

Once I got in, I was planning to take a short nap, thinking its a typical chick flick , but it turned out to be pretty hilarious, some of the scenes were pretty funny. It had a "girl" kinda thing in it, but still some of the scenes impressed me. Overall good enjoyment for the money.

I thought it was a bit too long, but still I enjoyed this movie. I will recommend this movie to people who think its a pure chick flick kinda movie, because its not, its got some decent scenes in it which really makes you laugh.

If you want a good laugh then go for it.

Hilarious! You don't like it? Shut up.

Author: JasonJanis16 from Canada
23 July 2011

First off I'm a guy, I wanted to see it more than my girlfriend, and we saw it in a group in a packed theatre. Everyone one of us was blown away at how good this movie is. I haven't heard anyone talk bad of it until I began reading reviews on here. Wtf is wrong with you people?! You don't find this funny then go read a book about the origins of pi. You people must have had a lobotomy or something. If you like family guy /hangover/ futurama/ Simpsons, etc. You will love this movie. Yes it has some crude, poop, humor parts, but so what? If you are an adult who can't handle jokes about poo (fecal matter) then what the hell is wrong with you? Hint, everybody poos, get over it. I loved the set up, the scene on the airplane and puppy parts "I'm really more of a six puppy person." if you're older than 13 and younger than 60 you SHOULD be able to handle the style of comedy and laugh you arse off. Hope so, cheers.

Ensemble Cast rocked this movie

Author: (porgiamor) from Canada
28 June 2011

Once Melissa McCarthy opens her mouth as she talks about the deep connection she had with a dolphin, I was rolling on the floor... literally. I did not want Melissa McCarthy to shut her mouth at all until the end of the movie. Also "That's what friends are for" was very funny stuff. More funny laughs follow when the rivals play tennis and hit tennis balls at each other's breasts - hilarious. Bridal store digestion problems follow later on, then Kristen Wiig as Annie eats candied almonds - her facial expressions were to die for. Even the nervous woman on the plane, Annie Mumolo was terrific. Then Kristen Wiig can't hide her anger problems at work and has a really heated and funny exchange with a young teenage shopper. Of course Jill Clayburgh was irreplaceable. Then the "I took two dogs they're in the back of my van (but Megan took 9)!" moment was so funny. Maya Rudolph was surprisingly restrained and very subtle - I loved her performance too. Everything that happens to Annie (Wiig) is very depressing but by the end of the movie you do feel that things are looking up for her.

Easily one of 2011's best comedies...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
26 June 2011

What's that? You don't know any of these people? Okay, surely you know Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph from SNL right? You don't? You're a sad, poor pathetic monkey if you don't even know at least one of these people....

If you don't know them...you better get used to them because these women are comic gold. That's right...I said it... GOLD... especially Wiig. Why, you ask? Because she not only stars in this masterpiece -- she also wrote it. Oh, have I got your attention now? I thought so.

I don't need to explain the movie --- the synopsis states it pretty damn clear. I mean, really. Annie (Wiig) is broke but wants to give her best friend since grade school (Rudolph) the best bride-to-be experience she can on her very limited budget. A 'newbie friend' (Byrne) outshines her in every single category... and let's face it, guys..... everyone has a breaking point, am I right? Thank goodness that WE are all private individuals who live private lives. I mean... who wants to be there on display when something goes horribly wrong? Count me in if it consists of this hilarious supporting cast. I don't even mind that we get swayed from the main storyline about the wedding.... because the interactions between Annie and her sibling roommates (Wilson and Lucas) and her d*ckhead boss (Hitchcock) make this story even MORE fun.

That's what this review is all about... not spoiling a damn thing. You might leave this article saying... 'he didn't say what the movie is about'..... oh really? It's pretty clear what it's about --- it's about 2 hours long and worth every damn penny -- you want story? Then read the frickin' synopsis.... I'm not about to spoil any surprises in what is clearly gonna be one of this year's best comedies.

More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: A

A smart and funny movie--not just for women

Author: Jim Gilligan from Lafayette, IN
22 June 2011

A very funny movie, "Bridesmaids" is more than just a female take on "The Hangover." Although the movie did contain some thematically Hangover-like elements (general silliness and buffoonery), one scene in particular—and I'm talking about the scene when the bridesmaids all go shopping for their dresses after having dined at a questionable Brazilian restaurant—manages to outgross even some of the raunchiest "guy" movies. Kristen Wiig is hilarious (as always) as the main character whose life is spiraling to rock-bottom (loser boyfriend—played by an uncredited Jon Hamm at his absolute smarmiest, lousy job, bizarre roommates) just as her bff (Maya Rudolph) is planning her wedding with the assistance of a new buttinsky bff, played with appropriately haughty aplomb by Rose Byrne. Melissa McCarthy is offensively hilarious as the earthy sister-of-the-groom who lacks any sense of tact, and Jill Clayburgh (in her final film role) is quirkily earnest as Wiig's mom. Although the film devolves somewhat into a typical happily-ever-after master narrative (Wiig's character really can't be happy until she finds a man—luckily, that man is played by the handsome and charming Irish actor Chris O'Dowd), its sharp sense of humor and caustic wit definitely make it worth seeing. And just try to resist singing along to Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" during the wedding scene.

Funny movie, even for guys!

Author: gfouty2001 from United States
22 June 2011

This is going to be short and sweet as there are a lot of reviews that go into really good detail.

Here is the thing, if you don't have a sense of humor or don't like crude humor, don't see this movie. Some of the reviews on here are just ridiculous. "It wasn't what I expected from the previews". Really? It was EXACTLY what I thought it was going to be from the previews. Do you not watch SNL? What previews were you watching? I thought the movie was really funny and the only reason I saw it was because I lost a bet with my wife (I wanted to see X-men: First Class).

I love Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph on SNL so I knew they were funny but I didn't know they could act as well. The chemistry between the two of them really makes the movie for me. Maybe because they have spent so many years together on SNL or maybe they really are best friends but you really believe that the two of them are best friends. The dialog between the two just seems real.

So is short, this humor is not for everyone but to think it is any different than the previews is just moronic.

Good Movie. Go see it!

About time we saw the ladies behaving badly

Author: paulf-61 from United Kingdom
18 June 2011

Bridesmaids, the latest film from producer Judd Apatow, is a little different from his usual male-driven comedies. Instead of a group of guys having a long series of amusing mishaps, this time it's the girls. Or rather one girl: Annie, played brilliantly by Kristen Wiig, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Annie Mumolo.

The film follows Annie in her adventures as maid of honour to life–long friend Lillian (Rudolph). She already has her fair share of troubles (roommates, job, money, car, failed business etc.), and now she's in competition with ridiculously rich Helen (Byrne) for the role of best friend/best bridesmaid to Lillian.

There are a lot of jokes in this movie; almost all of them are hilarious and not always the gross-you-out kind, which we tend to see a lot of these days. There is the food poisoning bit, which as an idea is pretty disgusting(ly funny), but apart from some vomit, you don't see anything gross. As well as the lack of revolting images, it's also nice to see a comedy where all the best jokes aren't used in the trailer. Yes, the food poisoning and the plane scenes are set up, and the roommates are introduced (Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson as the British siblings she share the apartment with), but watching the whole thing is much, much funnier.

The film does have an actual story going on besides the bridesmaids' antics, and some drama to go with our troubled character. The breather in between all the jokes is welcome, and a little bit necessary. Some jokes wouldn't work so well if the audience is still laughing from the last one. The pause is always cut appropriately short, usually courtesy of Megan, the groom's sister (McCarthy). She also manages to save Annie's self-pitying from getting annoying. Watching her cry at Cast Away can only be so funny. However, it is so difficult not to laugh for the most of the movie that these small moments are easily forgiven.

Some parts of the storyline weren't fully developed. The bit between Rita and Becca (the other two bridesmaids, played by Wendy McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on the plane didn't really go anywhere after that scene. I didn't find it that funny, so it's not like I wanted it to go somewhere, but it's an odd moment in my memory of the film. Also, the character of Annie's mother (Jill Clayburgh) could have been really funny if it had gone further, but she barely had two scenes. She goes to Alcoholics Anonymous but she's never had a drink in her life. I wanted to know more.

For a movie written by two women the characters are a little more clichéd than I would expect, but if it works, I guess it doesn't really matter. Rudolph as the bride and Wiig, Byrne and the other three as her bridesmaids make a really good ensemble. There won't be a moment you won't have a smile on your face, if you're not already crying with laughter. The film seems to be aimed at a female audience, but hopefully the Apatow name will bring the guys in as well, because there is no one (of the appropriate age) who would not enjoy this!

Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Too

Author: puffball97 from United States
30 May 2011

Throughout the years, gross-out comedies would revolve around groups of guys ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin,", "Wedding Crashers," "The Hangover" and now "The Hangover 2," which I have no intention on seeing since I didn't like the first "Hangover," "Hot Tub Time Machine," and "Dinner for Schmucks," from more recent years) or just one girl who is the object of desire of many guys ("There's Something About Mary"). But now, there is a twist. The girls are the protagonists of gross-out.

Raunchmeister Judd Apatow is the producer. Paul Feig is the director. They treated the ladies the same way men would get treated in gross out movies. The ladies would drink, cuss, tear each other apart, and would have so much fun doing all that.

"Saturday Night Live" alum Kristen Wiig is the star of the movie. She is Annie, a young woman whose life is on the rocks when her best childhood girlfriend Lillian (fellow SNL alum Maya Rudolph) asks her to be the maid of honor at her upcoming wedding. Her love life is not so lovely and she lost two jobs. She beds one man, but has the eye for a police officer who continually runs into her on the streets and everywhere else. Complications come when there are four other bridesmaids on the scene, and all of them duke it out.

Expectedly, the best work comes from heavyset actress Melissa McCarthy as the tough as nails Megan, the sister of the groom. There is always that principle where the least attractive actor/actress becomes the most attractive when they get the best and funniest lines, steals the show from everyone else, and no one else can be as funny or clever, not even the leads. Surely enough, the filmmakers are doing her a favor where beauty is only skin deep, and they are right. The other three "beautiful" bridesmaids are Rose Byrne as Helen, who becomes a fierce rival for Lillian as the matron of honor as she is the trophy wife of the groom's boss, Wendy McLendon-Covey as the tall blonde Rita, an aggressive foul-mouthed stepmother of equally foul-mouthed children, and Ellie Kemper as Becca, the most sensitive bridesmaid who is newly married and feels the sorriest for Annie because she is still single. Lesson to be learned: Never take your beauty for granted. You can be sexy because of your brain.

There are numerous gross out gags that pop up and keep you laughing out loud. But there is a lot of heart as well so we won't think it's just another rambunctious comedy. Due to Jill Clayburgh's recent death, her presence is the most bittersweet. She did have very funny lines as Annie's lustful mother, although she looked wan and weak. It was nice to have a funny comedy be her swan song for her distinguished and respectable career.

Have a great time and laugh. Bring all your friends to see "Bridemaids" and you'll be glad you did.

Hold On

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
29 May 2011

Greetings again from the darkness. Kristen Wiig is everywhere these days. If you don't know the name, you certainly know her face. She is credited with 26 projects since 2009 - and that doesn't even count her weekly work on Saturday Night Live. She is the new Tina Faye ... even though the old Tina Faye is still going very strong.

While I have little doubt that the success of The Hangover was a driving force behind the creation of this film, Ms. Wiig's writing and acting talent elevate this mixture of chick-flick and comedy into one of the finest female film comedies in quite awhile. That's probably not strong enough praise since that category is a bit sparse, but as a guy who gets really tired of the formulaic chick-flick rom-coms and sappy dramas, I found the film to be quite refreshing.

Sure, there are many similarities between this and The Hangover, but the key difference is that the element of female friendship is never far away from the often raunchy comedy we are witnessing. Women so value their BFF's and Ms. Wiig and her writing partner Annie Mumolo (seen as a nervous plane passenger) never lose sight of this.

Also key to any group of female activity is the competitive nature and envious mutterings. They try so hard to appear happy for their friends, when often they are blinded by the current funk in which they find their own life. And look out when a beautiful, rich "new" friend enters the picture. The real fireworks begin ... even in the battle for the last word on the mic at the engagement party! I am not going to give away any of the punchlines or set-ups, but I will highlight the cast. Maya Rudolph is Lillian, the bride to be and lifelong friend of Annie (Wiig); Ellie Kemper (The Office) is Becca, the goody-two shoes newlywed; Wendi McLendon-Covey (Reno 911) is Rita, the bitter, frustrated long-time mother and wife looking for inspiration; Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly, Gilmore Girls) is Megan, the slapstick, gross-out comedy relief; Rose Byrne is Helen, the aforementioned seemingly perfect "new" friend; Chris O'Dowd (Blind Swordsman in Dinner for Schmucks) is Officer Rhodes, the nice guy who has a crush on Annie; Jon Hamm (Mad Men) as Annie's Porsche driving bootie call; and Jill Clayburgh (her final film role) as Annie's mom.

Here is hoping Ms. Wiig continues to push the boundaries of creative comedy for women. I for one look forward to seeing women on screen as more than just love interests and femme fatales.