IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 40 of 49: [Prev][35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [Next]

Good satire... but the ending

Author: me-lasierra from Spain
25 August 2011

Good, very good piece of comedy. The leading actress was splendid, as the rest of the actors, the story was engaging, and over all, VERY funny. What I liked most was the film's poignancy at criticizing the wedding ritual in American (occidental) society. Oh yes, so funny! Exactly what I feel about weddings and all the stupid traditions around it, based mostly in one feeling: ENVY. The comic situations are very extreme and funny. But the ending... after such a strong and saucy social satire, why has it to end as any romantic comedy does??? the vulgarity! the girl overcomes herself, gets to grasp her life, and the blue prince appears (OK; the gag of the car, with her trying to get his forgiveness is funny, but still...) and the friends, after showing each other their most ugly faces, they all became super really good friends again and... PUAG!!! It does not match the first part of the movie, which confronted social traditions so wonderfully, and it totally spoils the movie. And it is not realistic. Too bad. Do the audience still need a good ending to go back home in peace, thinking that everything is gonna be OK??? I feel like a five year old when they patronize me like that!!!

Likable but too thin and low-key to deliver bigger laughs or a serious point

Author: mysteriesfan from United States
19 August 2011

When I am in the mood for a fun, screwball comedy, it is nice to find a film by Saturday Night Live cast members. Over the years, I have missed a lot of these movies (all of Belushi, Adam Sandler, and Rob Schneider, much of Will Ferrell and Mike Myers and (fortunately) Bill Murray; plus Baby Mama, MacGruber, and others). And there have been some big disappointments (like Master of Disguise, Stuart Saves His Family). But I still look forward to the ones I am able to get to the theater to see. The latest was Bridesmaids, which generally received good reviews but which left me with mixed feelings. The plot is well summarized by other reviews, so I will not repeat it.

There were some funny scenes. Stand-outs include the bridesmaids trying on fancy gowns while being stricken with food poisoning from a diner Wiig took them to; Wiig acting crazy on a plane, or to vent her frustrations at the over-the-top bridal shower, or to get a patrolman's attention. Although crude at times, the movie mainly came across as cute, sweet, and genuine. Overall, the acting was good. Wiig's down-to-earth, slightly cranky policeman boyfriend stole the show. The characters were quirky but had real humanity. Only the narcissistic pig who Wiig spent the night with at the start of the movie was a total loser, and he got some well-deserved comeuppance (but not enough, due to a too low-key Wiig). Otherwise, the movie avoided mean-spirited or over-the-top caricaturing. Even Wiig's nemesis, her childhood friend Maya Rudolph's glitzy, seemingly perfect new friend, ended up being portrayed sympathetically as a decent person. The characters' actions, even when exaggerated for laughs, mostly seemed to flow naturally from who they were presented to be. The movie suggested the larger themes that life is what you make of it and that tomorrow is another day.

But the movie fell short. Qualities that made it endearing also held back and sapped its energy. It was too slight and understated, and its storytelling too choppy, slow, and uncertain (as, to some extent, was Wiig's acting; Rudolph was reduced to a totally straight role, with none of her normal spark). The film's scattered attempts to be serious and to send a message (including simply coasting on some easy-listening song lyrics toward the end) felt vague, superficial, and false.

For example, at a low point for Wiig, when she is hiding out at her mother's home depressed, a loud, crass bridesmaid who is Rudolph's groom's sister and appears to have no prior relationship and to have spent almost no time with Wiig, suddenly shows up and starts wrestling with her on the couch (to get her to show some spunk, we are told). But this key scene (which also includes the sister trashing the groom to Wiig for no reason and with no explanation) comes out of nowhere. There is no preparation for it in the character of this other bridesmaid or any familiarity or rapport between the two women. It is uncomfortable, drawn-out, and phony. Wiig, again acting far too subdued (as she does too often in the film), does not even seem to get it, or to take it anywhere. To chalk this up to Wiig's character's self esteem problems does not make it interesting or effective. Another example, also a key scene, is when the new friend's plans for a flamboyant, extravagant wedding finally become too much for Rudolph, who goes AWOL, returns to her roots, reconciles with Wiig, and says the whole thing has gotten out of hand and out of sync, financially and otherwise, with her family and friends. Yet, the movie bulled right ahead, as if the scene had never happened, to exactly the overblown wedding that Rudolph supposedly had come to realize was not true to who she is, just to squeeze laughs out of all of the excess and to close on a flashy note.

Nor did it help the movie that some of the gags did not flow naturally from the characters and story, but were gratuitous, silly, or pat. A small example was Wiig suddenly becoming childish after a serious scene with the policeman, giggling to him to run the siren, just to provide a light-hearted note to end on. A much worse example was the ill-fitting, baseless, tasteless scene about a sandwich that was tacked on to the end credits when it should have been left on the cutting room floor or for a deleted scenes disk.

These problems dragged down a movie that I wanted to like a lot more.

Yes you need to be drunk to have THE HANGOVER!

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
19 August 2011

Something does not seem to add up. Something seems to have passed me by and I have no idea what it is. As I sit down and recollect what took place during the past 125 minutes I am overcome by mixed sensations of satisfaction and disappointment. How will I rate this? This is the constant thought that is running across my mind whilst I recollect my thought. I always had 4 stars in mind, 4 out of 10! I know I am being very pessimistic and sincerely I feel I am a bit too harsh on my opinion. Hence I am content to settle with 6 stars, 6 out of 10!

Are you familiar with the term Ventricular fibrillation? In Layman terms it's a condition where a human has an irregular heartbeat. Normally our hearts beat almost to that of the beat of the Bee Gees hit Staying alive. Now picture the same beat on a heart rate monitor. A normal beat Vs a patient who is suffering with VF. Erratic lines will be jumping all over the monitor and if something is not done about it the patient sadly will die. This is what the flow of comedy was in Bridesmaids. It was very erratic, the funny scenes are very scarce however when it did get funny, oh boy does it crack you up. The scenes are amazingly well written and brilliantly interpreted by the cast. However once that particular scene is done and dusted with it bogs down tremendously. Now this brings me to the script. Written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo I have strong feeling this was entirely written for women. I am not exaggerating. I am seated in a theatre full of women whilst I watch this. I am also overhearing a lot of negative chatter on the movie as well. This is one in particular that stuck in my head "This is nothing like Hangover". Exactly what my thoughts are as I am watching the movie. I believe the marketing campaign was a bit misleading to a few us since this was supposed to be the female version of The Hangover. In fact they did approach Todd Phillips for the directorial however does not seem to have worked out well.

When Lillian (Maya Rudolph) quite unexpectedly is to be married, best friend Annie (Kristen Wiig) is unanimously picked as her maid of honor. Annie who has no sense of direction in life hits rock bottom and now there is now way to go but up or so she thinks. At the rehearsal dinner Annie is introduced to Lillians' fiancés bosses wife (Did I lose you there?) aka Helen (Rose Byrne). There is saying "The party starts after a toast is made". OK I made that up, but really after 25 minutes into the movie, break out its first comic relief. It was hilarious and my sides hurt after all the laughter! Annie feels she is being stepped on by Helen and wants to regain control of all that is left until the wedding day. Sounding a bit like Bride Wars, Monster in Law at this point of time, it actually is quite similar although it should not be mistaken for a parody. Regardless of it all, the 6 ladies bond in an effort for making this a successful wedding treat for Lillian. Megan (Melissa McCarthy) who is the sister of the groom and Officer Rhodes (Chris O Dowd) are the show stealers. In fact the directorial approach by Paul Feig is felt more like that of THE IT CROWD or EPISODES (Sitcoms). It's not slapstick like Jack Black doing Cartwheels in Lilliput. It's all in the script and its lines and its very little acting but more of the dialogue that matters.

Undoubtedly I am clearly a minority who share this opinion, since this summer hit was very well accepted by our viewers; however I do know that there is a potential market out there that has misread the entire advertising campaign and would feel as I do.

YES YOU NEED TO BE DRUNK TO HAVE THE HANGOVER!

Title: Bridesmaids Directed by: Paul Feig Starring: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne & Chris O Dowd Rated: R for strong sexuality and language throughout. Rating: 06/10 125 Minutes

A goofy movie with lots of goofs.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
21 July 2011

The problem with this movie is that the lead roles went to the wrong actors. This movie should have starred Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. They were incredibly funny! The other cast members were not. Every scene with Ms. McCarthy was hilarious, especially the bathroom scene which she stole. As for the story itself, the conflict between the two bridesmaids was completely contrived, seemed to be almost tragic and not particularly funny. The actors were not funny and indeed there were moments when Maya Rudolph seemed like she was going to cry. Now if Melissa McCarthy had played the main bridesmaid and Ben Falcone her boyfriend, then the movie would have been a farce and would have generated a lot more laughs, but so much for "what if." Anyway, the movie has a lot of raunchy humor which required raunchy actors, and with the exception of Ms. McCarthy and Mr. Falcone, the raunchy actors were not there.

Comedy Movie

Author: Carrigan Johnson
26 February 2014

Bridesmaids directed by Paul Feig, introduced a movie not only for women, but also for men. It was released to theaters on May 13, 2011 and was a box office success. This movie brought in the raunchiness of The Hangover, but appealed it to women. It showed the main characters as a "Group of women friends who are as unbehaved as the guys in "The Hangover"" (Ebert). Its crude humor made it appeal to both sexes and this is one of the most important elements of this film. "A woman's point of view is one of the film's great distinctions" (Morgenstern). Based on the trailer I did not believe it was going to be a very comical movie, but once hearing all the good words about it, I had to see it for myself. I thought the movie was going to be a typical maid of honor story, but I was happily surprised. The movie obtained great reviews from reputable sources; it had compelling characters, a comical plot, and incredible writing. IMDb rated Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) a 6.9 out of 10, which is higher than average, but I think it could have been better. Roger Ebert had the right idea and gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars and he believed that this movie made an attempt to cross the line from "chick flick" into Raunch comedy. Entertainment Weekly also believed this idea, "Bridesmaids begins to leave every cookie-cutter ''chick flick'' miles behind" (Gleiberman). This movie was not afraid to cross the line and this was shown during a lesbian kiss during the plane scene. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) showed the audience that men and women have an equal playing field and that even romance films can be for both sexes. Rolling Stone writer Peter Travers believed that the only downside of the movie was when it was trying to resemble and compete with The Hangover. Some people could have believed the movie contained too much sexual content, but it was definitely not too graphic. The raunchiness of the film added an extra uniqueness to this popular female dominated comedy.

The cast did a spectacular performance of their roles especially Melissa McCarthy. Her character Megan was a highlight of the movie because of her quirky and strange personality. Most of the audience's favorite scenes included Megan in a substantial way, such as the bridal shop food poisoning scene and the plane scene. In the plane scene she had great interactions with the "air marshal," who in reality is her husband. This was an interesting addition to the film. McCarthy was not the only great supporting role. Rose Byrne who played Helen adapted right into her pushy and insufferable character (Morgenstern). One of the best parts of the movie was at the engagement party when Annie and Helen had to deliver speeches and it turned into a competition of who was a better friend to Lillian. Feig took a simple moment and expanded it into one of the most remembered scenes. Kristin Wiig was extraordinary and definitely excelled not only as an actress, but as a writer. In the movie she brought in some of her own mannerisms and made the character of Annie seem more real, and created a three-dimensional character (Gleiberman). Annie had a sad and hard life, which the audience could easily relate too. Annie lost her business and had to work in a job, which she hated. She had terrible roommates, a confusing love life, and a horrible car, which all combined to a train wreck of a life (Morgenstern). The main plot featured Annie and Helens' feud and through out the movie it progressed into funnier moments. The passive aggressive remarks towards each other developed the tension and the comedy in the film. There were multiple characters in the movie and one great thing about it was that it kept "all the members of the bridal party in play" (Ebert). The bridesmaids with the smaller roles developed along with the main characters. The character Becca slowly started to discover herself as she got to know Rita. The movie took a short time to look into their newfound friendship. There were not very many male characters, but the two that are predominately shown, did a great job. "Jon Hamm scores howls as a man-whore, and Chris O'Dowd excels as an Irish cop sweet on Annie" (Travers). Something that was probably not necessary was the addition of Annie's roommates. They did not support the story line and the movie could have done without them. Even though they provided some humor, they were only in about three short scenes. The writing by Kristin Wiig and Annie Mumolo made the film as popular as it is. The comical phrases such as, "I'm gonna climb him like a tree", "It's coming out of me like lava", and "help me I'm poor," have become very quotable and memorable (Bridesmaids). The movie did not focus its attention on the romance side rather than on its comical side. The dysfunctional characters coming together in one bridal party was a simple idea, which had great results. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) is a movie, which lifts audiences' spirits when they are low. It is a movie, which will bring tears to your eyes and laughter in the room. Each character in the movie played their role to their best ability and achieved great popularity for their film.

Carrots at dawn

Author: aelaycock from United Kingdom
28 June 2013

Whatever else "Four weddings" achieved, it certainly spawned an awful lot of comic wedding movies. This is not perfect but it is one of the better ones, with generally good quality dialogue, and some committed acting by the protagonists. It's also strongly influenced by the films which get all their laughs from bodily functions and swear words. Kristen Wiig, the star, wrote it herself with help from Annie Mumolo (who puts in an appearance in the airplane sequence).

Annie (Wiig) is to be one of several bridesmaids at her best friend Lillian's wedding (Maya Rudolph). Clever, arty Annie is fully expecting that she will play a major role in proceedings – choosing (or possibly making) the dresses, organising the bridal shower (what we in the UK would call the Hen Party), etc. However, Annie is increasingly sidelined by well-heeled bitchy snob Helen (the brilliant Rose Byrne), who manages to upstage her efforts at every turn. To make matters worse, all the other bridesmaids seem to prefer Helen's spectacular but somewhat derivative ideas to those of Annie.

Annie also has personal issues. She has lost all her money in a cake-making venture, she has no boyfriend and no prospects, she lives in an apartment with a monstrous couple of siblings (Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson). Her 40-something life is going nowhere. On the plus side she has a one-night stand with Rhodes, a nice Irish policeman (Chris O'Dowd off "The IT crowd"). She then ruins it by walking out on him while he is trying to persuade her to take up her cake-making again; despite the fact that they are clearly made for each other. She loses her job at a jewelry store after a hilarious exchange with a customer involving the C-word, and ends up going back to her mother (the great Jill Clayburgh). Meanwhile the preparations for the wedding are getting more manic and over-the-top.

After a number of wacky incidents, this being a comedy, we know everything will get sorted out. There are some genuinely touching and surprising moments, as well as some which fall a bit flat (I wasn't overly impressed by the airplane sequence to be honest).

A special mention goes to Melissa McCarthy as Megan, whose larger-than-life antics threaten to steal the show a couple of times. Despite some irritating mannerisms, Annie has wit and charm, and we want her to be happy. There seems to be "chemistry" between Wiig and O'Dowd. The film has some really funny moments, and some quite romantic ones. Anyway, I liked the film enough to watch it twice.

A lot of laughs

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

For everyone whose life has hit rock bottom, or so they thought, we have Annie (played by Kristen Wiig). Working as a jewelry store clerk after suffering a massive business failure and living with two very, to say the least, eccentric fraternal twins despite being chronically late with the rent. Meanwhile, Lillian her best friend (played by Maya Rudolph) is engaged and to a man she's deeply in love with who makes a great living. And as her beast friend, Lillian enlists Annie to act as her maid of honor at her wedding. It's at the engagement party where Annie first meets Helen Harris (Rose Byrne). Helen's husband employs Lillian's fiancée and has become strangely close to her as a result.

The other bridesmaids provide little more than comic relief while Helen, who plans on the order of a Martha Stewart clone on steroids, is the antagonist as she seems intent on usurping Annie's role as maid of honor and Lillian's best friend which, given Lillian's impending change of address, appears to be a position that will be vacant soon enough. During all this, Annie's romantic life is complicated by a waning entanglement with a man whose interest in her is mainly physical and a relationship with kind and respectful police officer whom she met thanks to a long-broken taillight.

The story isn't all that interesting and the fact that only the audience sees things from Annie's point if view is near infuriating, in my opinion. That said, Wiig, Rudolph, Byrne and company are hilarious as the events depicted, though some seem meant to make the viewers cringe or test their gag reflex which runs counter to my personal taste. Funny, entertaining, and that's about it.

Perhaps you have to be a woman to appreciate and truly like it.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
18 February 2012

As a comedy, to me, this movie just wasn't really good or funny enough. It actually was a pretty awkward movie to watch at times and I just can't understand why it is being liked so much. Oh well, perhaps I simply need to be a woman to 'get it'.

The biggest problem I had with this movie was that it was buildup like a realistic and serious movie, complete with emotions and women trouble and all but with yet also some truly over-the-top comedy thrown into it. This just wasn't a combination that worked out very good or felt organic to me. Some of the insane comical situations really seemed out of place and totally not in tone with any of the rest of the movie. This especially goes for the movie its gross out moments.

It's good and all that there is a big and popular comedy for- and by women for a change but I'm just incapable of seeing it as a great or fun one. But like I said, this is probably all because I'm male and just can't relate to any of the issues being handled in this movie, or just simply don't find them all that interesting or appealing. Yes, this foremost truly is a chick-flick, so if you are a female, simply just ignore what I have to say about it, since chances are you are going to have a totally different opinion- and feeling toward this movie.

But really, the movie as a whole doesn't seem to be all that well written or clever. It's of course mostly being predictable and most of the comical situations feel forced and like they were shoehorned in. Besides, it seemed so unlikely to me that all of these girls were all truly friends, since most of the them have very little in common. Some of the characters are also terribly underwritten and I have no idea why they were in this movie at all.

It's not like the actors were bad though. I known lots of people are always saying bad things about women doing comedy but this movie definitely shows that females are perfectly capable of handling comedy material. It of course helps that the movie is written by females. You could really tell that by basically everything that this movie was written by females for females. The dialog and story-flow all feel more natural because of this. I only did wish the comedy was something better and more natural feeling as well. But again, if you are a female, chances are you will still end up really liking this movie.

I wasn't all that impressed but then again, this movie clearly wasn't made for me.

Awesome, Fun, Guys Movie, Solid Acting, No Cheese!!

Author: mike-710-966670 from Santa Monica, CA
8 January 2012

Great action movie, No Lame scenes, Some humor with Rock's so called Hit-man, Over all this movie is action packed thriller, with some graphic killings, and bad as$ fight scenes... Good Flash backs to understand the past. A must see if you are a Rock fan or just a action packed shoot em up drive FAST kind of movie watcher !!! Billy bob Thorton was pretty good as well, how does he get the cool guy roles all the time and always knocks it out of the park. The hot chick from Entourage is , well HOT in this as well and again is not disappointing. There looks like there could be a part 2 with one of the characters sons, I would be interested in seeing it if they do indeed do it.

Truly...terrible.

Author: Bruce MacGuffin from United Kingdom
8 January 2012

I've been getting some stick of late from my lady that we always end up watching my movies...zombies, monsters, guns and horror. I consider myself to have a diverse and open-minded attitude to film, so wished to prove this to her by hiring "Bridesmaids"...I mean, how bad could it be right? On the cover it had 5 stars from (what I thought) could be reliable sources and since some nut-bag declared that it was "better than the hangover" (which I mildly enjoyed...for slapstick eye-chewing gum)...I decided to give it time. Never before have I regretted wasting my evening on one particular entertainment item...so incensed at being lied to and conned by "professionals" and advertisement that I have decided to leave my bit on here for not only men seeking advice on this movie, but for anyone with any self respect and standards when it comes to film arts. Let me begin by explaining my 2 stars.

1) ACDC..."Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" - (thank you for the momentary relief and reassurance that there are good things in the world), coupled with the young lads comment at the end of the tennis scene "I've seen better tennis on a tampon commercial"...as far as one liners go, this was the pick of the film.

2) Melissa McCarthy. I'm sure most will agree the only semi-comical part in this drivel. The most 3D of characters, the most warming and genuine of the cast...but you were not involved nearly enough to save this train wreck.

So that's the good points...really. The rest was not as 'More Magazine' described as "Pure Feel Good". The rest was about a woman dealing with her depression, interspersed with cheap attempts at comedy. The bridal shop scene highlighting the result of food poisoning?? Come on...American Pie ring a bell? It would not of been so bad a thing if one could sympathise with the lead actress...but the writing made it feel as though she brought it all on herself, hardly the heroin...more the victim. Aside from the clunky and unbelievable flow of the proceedings, the relationships between the characters was so fake it was cringe- worthy...heightened by it's innate ability to prolong the torture of individual comic set-pieces such as the battle for the microphone during the engagement party. The trailers for this tripe did (as mentioned by other disgruntled reviewers) hint at it being a female-"hangover", it had me believing it was a film about the antics of a group of colourful and larger than life characters on a hen do. But the hen do didn't even happen! The most we received was the totally unrealistic portrayal of Kristen Wiig drunk on a plane. How I ever managed to get to the end...the grand finale with the weddings special guest appearance...I will never know. However when that moment occurred I realised the film had hit a remarkable low...and so had I.

I have been assured from my girlfriend that women do not interact with each other in the way this film portrays...as it turns out she thought it was as poor as I did. I can assure you, ladies and gentlemen, that this is not as 'The Daily Telegraph' states..."The funniest film of the year", although I cannot presume to say what may tickle your funny bone, I can at least make a suggestion as to a movie of superior writing/directing/humour from 2011...rent "Horrible bosses" instead. Not a classic or gut-buster by any means, but certainly a funnier 2011 film than this pile of motion pictured flatulence. This is the first time I've ever left a review of any sort online...be it for a shopping purchase or restaurant dinner etc. My reasoning is that it was late by the time we finished and if I went to bed I would have not been able to sleep through the frustration and washing-machine stomach sensation that this movie has brought on. My release on here has somewhat helped...that and finishing the rest of the "Dirty deeds..." album. I hope that this review has not been received as a rant from a cynical guy taking a shot at a chick-flick...if it has, then perhaps I have absorbed all of the cynicism from critics, paid bundles of cash to offer the general public their expert advice, who declare Bridesmaids to be "10 out of 10. Very, very, VERY funny" (Daily Star...should have known better). A quote as grotesquely misguided and deluded as placing this film in the category - comedy. Please...do yourself a giant favour, don't bother with this. Play a game of blind scrabble, walk over hot coals with a nail spiked through each of your heals, eat a dozen live worms while listening to "Spice Girls - Wannabe" on repeat...and perhaps you shall enjoy your evening more than I.

Good night...