IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

You just have to divine the odor

Author: James_POV from Canada
19 September 2012

For awhile I thought I'd lost my bearings on knowing what makes a film popular. I'm relieved to say it was just temporary. The film which made me question my ability was "Bridesmaids". An outstandingly tacky and outrageously badly acted piece of work if there ever was one.

Guided by all the positive reviews from the usual media suspects, I watched this film with others. Quite early on we were throwing popcorn and booing: We must have got the wrong movie, but no this was it!

The first inkling that reviewers had acted like lemmings in gushing all over this movie was the IMDb score. It is low for a highly acclaimed, mass audience film. The next and more telling indicator is the review in Variety which rated it pretty bad!

Lastly, in a film festival forum (now a YouTube video) the director of Bridesmaids was asked what his formula for success was? He said not following the script! Hey! It had a script, could have fooled me! You can't knock its success though, Bridesmaids has grossed over $250m!

Here's the insight. When the lady who gets over 50,000 viewers on YouTube watching her dog fart was asked what she would do for an encore, she replied add another farting dog on her show!

There's a market for this type of entertainment. You just have to divine the odor. And there's an obvious need for Voltaire at an earlier stage in the school curriculum

Trite Drama Saps Comedy

Author: Andrew Judkins from United States
19 September 2012

Bridesmaids is a great example of how words have lost their meaning in how we describe and interpret our films these days. This film is described as a comedy, but, only perhaps a third of the films is even meant to be humorous. That's probably generous. This isn't just false advertising to the alert movie-goer. It is a sort of self lie that the makers of this film are telling themselves without even knowing it.

Here's what I mean: If only a third of this film is funny, than what is the rest? The rest is light and very shallow drama about a woman who is down on her luck, but also fond of wallowing in her problems. Not the best comedy wellspring. A small part of that is romantic in nature— we see this woman, Annie is her name, be used as a third romantic option by a shallow, rich jerk played by Jon Hamm (as though he just ran on set for a day to do it between projects) and an underdeveloped and unrealistic positive relationship develops between Annie and a European sounding Wisconsin State Trooper. The end result is a minority of scenes devoted to comedy. But the problem is deeper because the film is working so many angles—romantic comedy elements with Annie's relationships, straight romance with her State Trooper love interest, a story about female jealousy, female friendship and wedding procedure as well as an almost non existent attempt to show us a bit of all the bridesmaids (who have almost never even heard of each other for some reason). All this, plus Annie's life falls apart to a pathetic and perhaps gratuitous extent, only to rise in the last five minutes like a phoenix. It is too much—in two senses. One, it makes the film too long. Two hours and fifteen minutes is a long film to endure if it isn't inspired. This film isn't. Lauded as a female response to the male oriented Judd Apatow type comedies of our age, this film is simply that formula with more mope and competitive insecurity. If you like Apatow you'll find this film middling. If you think comedy should be moving beyond that type of film now, you'll be disappointed.

The second way this film is too much is that it stretches the writers and actors too far. The dramatic moments feel contrived, shallow, and generic, yet the comedy is not developed nearly enough. Few jokes are innovative or risky in any way. The performances are dull except Melissa McCarthy, who amazingly scores as the only funny and only touching actor in the whole film. In this sense, despite limited screen time, this is her movie.

I think the headline here is opportunity lost. A comedy with mostly female characters from a female perspective is a good idea. Some of the actors have good comedy ability, used here in the wrong way or not enough. Kristen Wiig may have a good comedy lead in her, but this isn't quite it, Melissa McCarthy needs more screen time to stretch out her talents, and Tim Heidecker (who plays a cameo as the groom) should be allowed to at least take a swing at some jokes. His type of comedy riffing is what American comedy needs more of. It seems symbolic that he played a role that allowed him no chance to add to the undernourished comedy.

Not as good as all the hype.

Author: Gracie96 from United States
15 May 2012

I guess I was supposed to have some sort of sympathy for the main character, Annie Walker, but I didn't find her sympathetic or likable. More of a loser who doesn't have her act together--you know, one of those people who just can't ever get it right and probably never will. The scene at the engagement party where Annie and another bridesmaid try to outdo each other with memories of their relationship with Lillian went on way too long. I almost turned off the movie at that point, but I continued to watch it and kept hoping it would get better. It never did. Even Melissa McCarthy's role was a bit much, although she was just about the only good part in the movie.

Really? This film made how much money?

Author: pensman from United States
2 January 2012

I certainly waited for this film to come out on DVD and that was the right decision. This film seems split between wanting to be a comedy (the only scene that actually made my wife laugh out loud was the bit where the bridesmaids were trying on gowns and got an attack of food poisoning) and a coming of age drama as we wait to see how long it will take Annie Walker (Kristin Wiig) to become an adult. It was OK as a DVD flic but who would pay eight bucks for a ticket? And the cast listing on the IMDb seems odd. Chris O'Dowd who has a pretty pivotal role gets short shrift in billing while Terry Crews whose 60 seconds gets top billing. Explain that one to me. I have to infer women made this a hit as it was pretty much an ensemble female cast but so was The Help which actually had real actors actually acting. I believe the four rating is generous.

Horrible movie; so forgettable I already forgot it!

Author: hthbrr2 from United States
20 September 2011

Horrible movie; so forgettable I already forgot it!

This is one of those movies that is so bad that I pretend that I never watched it at all! What I mean is that it was not memorable; just a bunch of random events. Funny is "The Simpsons" a show where you remember what the ENTIRE episode was about and quote it from memory. This movie went though me like water. I watched it then forgot about it, it was not worth remembering nor could you, since it there was nothing to remember. The movie was a bore! I was bored to tears! The entire time I was checking to see how much was left! I was relieved it was over! So that is my explanation for my title, I will tell you what I can about this movie. I feel like I have to tell people to avoid this piece of crap!

SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT:

OK so the first scene in the movie is a "sex" scene. Hmm, so watching this I knew that you can't really watch this with just anyone. Anyways it was pretty pointless and disgusting. I guess what they were trying to say is that this guy is a jerk. But the scene where he tells her to leave was adequate to show he was a jerk! Then the scene with her jumping his fence was just even more pointless. Umm, yeah I get hazy as to what else happened after this….

Umm…oh yeah! She had a failed business and worked at some place. She's poor. OK her roommates are not normal. Yeah then her friend talks about vulgar things, of course, IN A PUBLIC PLACE! How unrealistic is that!? WOW! Then I guess her friend gets engaged and crazy $#!t occurs! NONE of it makes sense! That speech battle, that I only remembered by reading another person's review, was cringe worthy! THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN! The band would start playing. OK, sorry! This movie just CONSTANTLY insults my intelligence!!!!

Well, then I forgot what happened, and I don't care to try and remember. I watched this because I was desperate for a new comedy movie. Don't watch this it's horrible!

Bah!

Author: pantander from Norway
25 January 2012

I don't really care if this movie was the highest grossing R-rated chick flick thing ever, it was a crap way to spend my evening.

A lot of the scenes made me really embarrassed. The best part of the movie is when the aardvark, or whatever kind of furry forest critter that was, waggled across the road in front of the field where Helen's car broke down.

Felt unnecessarily long for a comedy. What kind of accent was that on officer Rhodes? Not sure how to re-write this into making it a helpful review. My advice would be not to see it, unless you have a thing for watching a movie you know is gonna be bad once in a while.

Why did Paul Feig direct this aimlessly wandering script?

Author: ofdreams from United States
15 May 2011

This film has multiple personality disorder. There are some genius moments and scenes, but they are drowned out by extreme, crass, predictable, over-the-top scenes full of stale gags. Many honest, well-written, amazing conversations and lines just float ungrounded in the wacky framework, or is the wackiness ungrounded in the dramedy framework??? . . . the honesty and closeness of the main relationship becomes unbelievable and subsequently the "realness" base of the film loses all credibility.

In spite of not enjoying the move overall that much, I think Wiig is a genius on screen and I hope to see her in something great with a different writing/directing/producing team.

Lastly, I cannot believe Paul Feig directed this! Almost all of what he has directed and produced demonstrates his mastery of comedy with depth and nuance, so intelligent and insidious it surprises and wins you over. Freaks and Geeks is one of the BEST TV shows ever.

Painfully unfunny

Author: mrliteral from United States
19 July 2012

While it's good to see a female-driven comedy written by women (though produced and directed by men), it would be nice if the movie had some actual humor in it. Most of the characters are consistently petty, shallow, dishonest, selfish, and have rather ridiculous motivations for nearly everything they do. The pace is slow, the jokes fall flat, and the dramatic conflicts are oversimplified to the point of making the characters look incredibly stupid for not easily avoiding them. It is beyond my understanding how someone might consider any part of this movie to be a realistic or recognizable representation of "real" women, or of anyone.

Not very funny

Author: stephen-wp88 from United Kingdom
17 July 2011

For this film to work it has to be funny - and it isn't. I'll pretty much laugh at anything - I even thought Tropic Thunder was hilarious, Satan's Alley, now thats funny. But I sat through this and didn't laugh, smirk or smile once. Its not that i don't get Kristen Wiig, in fact I think she steals her scenes in Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, where she is fantastic ("Its not a competition, but you're best"). She's also probably the best thing in Paul as a god bothering hillbilly.

But why doesn't this film work for me? Well it just isn't funny - there's no genuine humour in someone being drugged up and doing bad things on a plane, or people getting food poisoning and needing to defecate on the street. You would expect a lot from the people who put together this movie but they don't deliver.

biggest let down in a while.

Author: chatte027 from United States
25 September 2011

I was so so excited for this movie, I was sure it was going to be hilarious. But at the end I was left somewhat disgusted and severely disappointed. This movie fell into the ever growing group of movies that claimed to be " as funny as the hangover!", and what a surprise, like all the others, its not. This movie did have a few funny moments, I can't lie. Also a cast of great actors who played their various characters really well. But the story line seemed sorely lacking material and dimension, which they seemed to try and make up for/cover up with really long scenes. They would consist of a couple jokes that stretched on and on, It constantly got to the point where if a scene started and I was laughing or interested by the end I was just left wondering how long this movie was and when somethings going to happen. I don't know what everyone else finds so hilarious, but I'm passed drawing on magazines or books making the cartoons and models poop like I did when I was seven, and I graduated high school a few years ago, so I feel like I've heard all these sex jokes before. So all in all this movie just wasn't for me.