IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 39 of 49: [Prev][34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [Next]

Comedy Movie

Author: Carrigan Johnson
26 February 2014

Bridesmaids directed by Paul Feig, introduced a movie not only for women, but also for men. It was released to theaters on May 13, 2011 and was a box office success. This movie brought in the raunchiness of The Hangover, but appealed it to women. It showed the main characters as a "Group of women friends who are as unbehaved as the guys in "The Hangover"" (Ebert). Its crude humor made it appeal to both sexes and this is one of the most important elements of this film. "A woman's point of view is one of the film's great distinctions" (Morgenstern). Based on the trailer I did not believe it was going to be a very comical movie, but once hearing all the good words about it, I had to see it for myself. I thought the movie was going to be a typical maid of honor story, but I was happily surprised. The movie obtained great reviews from reputable sources; it had compelling characters, a comical plot, and incredible writing. IMDb rated Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) a 6.9 out of 10, which is higher than average, but I think it could have been better. Roger Ebert had the right idea and gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars and he believed that this movie made an attempt to cross the line from "chick flick" into Raunch comedy. Entertainment Weekly also believed this idea, "Bridesmaids begins to leave every cookie-cutter ''chick flick'' miles behind" (Gleiberman). This movie was not afraid to cross the line and this was shown during a lesbian kiss during the plane scene. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) showed the audience that men and women have an equal playing field and that even romance films can be for both sexes. Rolling Stone writer Peter Travers believed that the only downside of the movie was when it was trying to resemble and compete with The Hangover. Some people could have believed the movie contained too much sexual content, but it was definitely not too graphic. The raunchiness of the film added an extra uniqueness to this popular female dominated comedy.

The cast did a spectacular performance of their roles especially Melissa McCarthy. Her character Megan was a highlight of the movie because of her quirky and strange personality. Most of the audience's favorite scenes included Megan in a substantial way, such as the bridal shop food poisoning scene and the plane scene. In the plane scene she had great interactions with the "air marshal," who in reality is her husband. This was an interesting addition to the film. McCarthy was not the only great supporting role. Rose Byrne who played Helen adapted right into her pushy and insufferable character (Morgenstern). One of the best parts of the movie was at the engagement party when Annie and Helen had to deliver speeches and it turned into a competition of who was a better friend to Lillian. Feig took a simple moment and expanded it into one of the most remembered scenes. Kristin Wiig was extraordinary and definitely excelled not only as an actress, but as a writer. In the movie she brought in some of her own mannerisms and made the character of Annie seem more real, and created a three-dimensional character (Gleiberman). Annie had a sad and hard life, which the audience could easily relate too. Annie lost her business and had to work in a job, which she hated. She had terrible roommates, a confusing love life, and a horrible car, which all combined to a train wreck of a life (Morgenstern). The main plot featured Annie and Helens' feud and through out the movie it progressed into funnier moments. The passive aggressive remarks towards each other developed the tension and the comedy in the film. There were multiple characters in the movie and one great thing about it was that it kept "all the members of the bridal party in play" (Ebert). The bridesmaids with the smaller roles developed along with the main characters. The character Becca slowly started to discover herself as she got to know Rita. The movie took a short time to look into their newfound friendship. There were not very many male characters, but the two that are predominately shown, did a great job. "Jon Hamm scores howls as a man-whore, and Chris O'Dowd excels as an Irish cop sweet on Annie" (Travers). Something that was probably not necessary was the addition of Annie's roommates. They did not support the story line and the movie could have done without them. Even though they provided some humor, they were only in about three short scenes. The writing by Kristin Wiig and Annie Mumolo made the film as popular as it is. The comical phrases such as, "I'm gonna climb him like a tree", "It's coming out of me like lava", and "help me I'm poor," have become very quotable and memorable (Bridesmaids). The movie did not focus its attention on the romance side rather than on its comical side. The dysfunctional characters coming together in one bridal party was a simple idea, which had great results. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) is a movie, which lifts audiences' spirits when they are low. It is a movie, which will bring tears to your eyes and laughter in the room. Each character in the movie played their role to their best ability and achieved great popularity for their film.

Carrots at dawn

Author: aelaycock from United Kingdom
28 June 2013

Whatever else "Four weddings" achieved, it certainly spawned an awful lot of comic wedding movies. This is not perfect but it is one of the better ones, with generally good quality dialogue, and some committed acting by the protagonists. It's also strongly influenced by the films which get all their laughs from bodily functions and swear words. Kristen Wiig, the star, wrote it herself with help from Annie Mumolo (who puts in an appearance in the airplane sequence).

Annie (Wiig) is to be one of several bridesmaids at her best friend Lillian's wedding (Maya Rudolph). Clever, arty Annie is fully expecting that she will play a major role in proceedings – choosing (or possibly making) the dresses, organising the bridal shower (what we in the UK would call the Hen Party), etc. However, Annie is increasingly sidelined by well-heeled bitchy snob Helen (the brilliant Rose Byrne), who manages to upstage her efforts at every turn. To make matters worse, all the other bridesmaids seem to prefer Helen's spectacular but somewhat derivative ideas to those of Annie.

Annie also has personal issues. She has lost all her money in a cake-making venture, she has no boyfriend and no prospects, she lives in an apartment with a monstrous couple of siblings (Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson). Her 40-something life is going nowhere. On the plus side she has a one-night stand with Rhodes, a nice Irish policeman (Chris O'Dowd off "The IT crowd"). She then ruins it by walking out on him while he is trying to persuade her to take up her cake-making again; despite the fact that they are clearly made for each other. She loses her job at a jewelry store after a hilarious exchange with a customer involving the C-word, and ends up going back to her mother (the great Jill Clayburgh). Meanwhile the preparations for the wedding are getting more manic and over-the-top.

After a number of wacky incidents, this being a comedy, we know everything will get sorted out. There are some genuinely touching and surprising moments, as well as some which fall a bit flat (I wasn't overly impressed by the airplane sequence to be honest).

A special mention goes to Melissa McCarthy as Megan, whose larger-than-life antics threaten to steal the show a couple of times. Despite some irritating mannerisms, Annie has wit and charm, and we want her to be happy. There seems to be "chemistry" between Wiig and O'Dowd. The film has some really funny moments, and some quite romantic ones. Anyway, I liked the film enough to watch it twice.

A lot of laughs

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

For everyone whose life has hit rock bottom, or so they thought, we have Annie (played by Kristen Wiig). Working as a jewelry store clerk after suffering a massive business failure and living with two very, to say the least, eccentric fraternal twins despite being chronically late with the rent. Meanwhile, Lillian her best friend (played by Maya Rudolph) is engaged and to a man she's deeply in love with who makes a great living. And as her beast friend, Lillian enlists Annie to act as her maid of honor at her wedding. It's at the engagement party where Annie first meets Helen Harris (Rose Byrne). Helen's husband employs Lillian's fiancée and has become strangely close to her as a result.

The other bridesmaids provide little more than comic relief while Helen, who plans on the order of a Martha Stewart clone on steroids, is the antagonist as she seems intent on usurping Annie's role as maid of honor and Lillian's best friend which, given Lillian's impending change of address, appears to be a position that will be vacant soon enough. During all this, Annie's romantic life is complicated by a waning entanglement with a man whose interest in her is mainly physical and a relationship with kind and respectful police officer whom she met thanks to a long-broken taillight.

The story isn't all that interesting and the fact that only the audience sees things from Annie's point if view is near infuriating, in my opinion. That said, Wiig, Rudolph, Byrne and company are hilarious as the events depicted, though some seem meant to make the viewers cringe or test their gag reflex which runs counter to my personal taste. Funny, entertaining, and that's about it.

Perhaps you have to be a woman to appreciate and truly like it.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
18 February 2012

As a comedy, to me, this movie just wasn't really good or funny enough. It actually was a pretty awkward movie to watch at times and I just can't understand why it is being liked so much. Oh well, perhaps I simply need to be a woman to 'get it'.

The biggest problem I had with this movie was that it was buildup like a realistic and serious movie, complete with emotions and women trouble and all but with yet also some truly over-the-top comedy thrown into it. This just wasn't a combination that worked out very good or felt organic to me. Some of the insane comical situations really seemed out of place and totally not in tone with any of the rest of the movie. This especially goes for the movie its gross out moments.

It's good and all that there is a big and popular comedy for- and by women for a change but I'm just incapable of seeing it as a great or fun one. But like I said, this is probably all because I'm male and just can't relate to any of the issues being handled in this movie, or just simply don't find them all that interesting or appealing. Yes, this foremost truly is a chick-flick, so if you are a female, simply just ignore what I have to say about it, since chances are you are going to have a totally different opinion- and feeling toward this movie.

But really, the movie as a whole doesn't seem to be all that well written or clever. It's of course mostly being predictable and most of the comical situations feel forced and like they were shoehorned in. Besides, it seemed so unlikely to me that all of these girls were all truly friends, since most of the them have very little in common. Some of the characters are also terribly underwritten and I have no idea why they were in this movie at all.

It's not like the actors were bad though. I known lots of people are always saying bad things about women doing comedy but this movie definitely shows that females are perfectly capable of handling comedy material. It of course helps that the movie is written by females. You could really tell that by basically everything that this movie was written by females for females. The dialog and story-flow all feel more natural because of this. I only did wish the comedy was something better and more natural feeling as well. But again, if you are a female, chances are you will still end up really liking this movie.

I wasn't all that impressed but then again, this movie clearly wasn't made for me.

Awesome, Fun, Guys Movie, Solid Acting, No Cheese!!

Author: mike-710-966670 from Santa Monica, CA
8 January 2012

Great action movie, No Lame scenes, Some humor with Rock's so called Hit-man, Over all this movie is action packed thriller, with some graphic killings, and bad as$ fight scenes... Good Flash backs to understand the past. A must see if you are a Rock fan or just a action packed shoot em up drive FAST kind of movie watcher !!! Billy bob Thorton was pretty good as well, how does he get the cool guy roles all the time and always knocks it out of the park. The hot chick from Entourage is , well HOT in this as well and again is not disappointing. There looks like there could be a part 2 with one of the characters sons, I would be interested in seeing it if they do indeed do it.

Truly...terrible.

Author: Bruce MacGuffin from United Kingdom
8 January 2012

I've been getting some stick of late from my lady that we always end up watching my movies...zombies, monsters, guns and horror. I consider myself to have a diverse and open-minded attitude to film, so wished to prove this to her by hiring "Bridesmaids"...I mean, how bad could it be right? On the cover it had 5 stars from (what I thought) could be reliable sources and since some nut-bag declared that it was "better than the hangover" (which I mildly enjoyed...for slapstick eye-chewing gum)...I decided to give it time. Never before have I regretted wasting my evening on one particular entertainment item...so incensed at being lied to and conned by "professionals" and advertisement that I have decided to leave my bit on here for not only men seeking advice on this movie, but for anyone with any self respect and standards when it comes to film arts. Let me begin by explaining my 2 stars.

1) ACDC..."Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" - (thank you for the momentary relief and reassurance that there are good things in the world), coupled with the young lads comment at the end of the tennis scene "I've seen better tennis on a tampon commercial"...as far as one liners go, this was the pick of the film.

2) Melissa McCarthy. I'm sure most will agree the only semi-comical part in this drivel. The most 3D of characters, the most warming and genuine of the cast...but you were not involved nearly enough to save this train wreck.

So that's the good points...really. The rest was not as 'More Magazine' described as "Pure Feel Good". The rest was about a woman dealing with her depression, interspersed with cheap attempts at comedy. The bridal shop scene highlighting the result of food poisoning?? Come on...American Pie ring a bell? It would not of been so bad a thing if one could sympathise with the lead actress...but the writing made it feel as though she brought it all on herself, hardly the heroin...more the victim. Aside from the clunky and unbelievable flow of the proceedings, the relationships between the characters was so fake it was cringe- worthy...heightened by it's innate ability to prolong the torture of individual comic set-pieces such as the battle for the microphone during the engagement party. The trailers for this tripe did (as mentioned by other disgruntled reviewers) hint at it being a female-"hangover", it had me believing it was a film about the antics of a group of colourful and larger than life characters on a hen do. But the hen do didn't even happen! The most we received was the totally unrealistic portrayal of Kristen Wiig drunk on a plane. How I ever managed to get to the end...the grand finale with the weddings special guest appearance...I will never know. However when that moment occurred I realised the film had hit a remarkable low...and so had I.

I have been assured from my girlfriend that women do not interact with each other in the way this film portrays...as it turns out she thought it was as poor as I did. I can assure you, ladies and gentlemen, that this is not as 'The Daily Telegraph' states..."The funniest film of the year", although I cannot presume to say what may tickle your funny bone, I can at least make a suggestion as to a movie of superior writing/directing/humour from 2011...rent "Horrible bosses" instead. Not a classic or gut-buster by any means, but certainly a funnier 2011 film than this pile of motion pictured flatulence. This is the first time I've ever left a review of any sort online...be it for a shopping purchase or restaurant dinner etc. My reasoning is that it was late by the time we finished and if I went to bed I would have not been able to sleep through the frustration and washing-machine stomach sensation that this movie has brought on. My release on here has somewhat helped...that and finishing the rest of the "Dirty deeds..." album. I hope that this review has not been received as a rant from a cynical guy taking a shot at a chick-flick...if it has, then perhaps I have absorbed all of the cynicism from critics, paid bundles of cash to offer the general public their expert advice, who declare Bridesmaids to be "10 out of 10. Very, very, VERY funny" (Daily Star...should have known better). A quote as grotesquely misguided and deluded as placing this film in the category - comedy. Please...do yourself a giant favour, don't bother with this. Play a game of blind scrabble, walk over hot coals with a nail spiked through each of your heals, eat a dozen live worms while listening to "Spice Girls - Wannabe" on repeat...and perhaps you shall enjoy your evening more than I.

Good night...

This is really a boring and not funny movie

Author: borchart from Austria
6 January 2012

I do not understand all the positive reviews here. How can such an awful movie get 7.0 average rating on IMDb? The movie is advertised as a comedy, but there is hardly any funny scene in it. Most of the time, the sad and boring life of the main protagonist (a lady) is shown, where big parts are not related to the other brides. This is more depressing than funny to watch.

I believed that this might be some ladies version of the popular film hangover, but you cannot compare it at all. Where hangover dealt with the wedding-eve party only and the funny things that happened, this movie starts weeks before the marriage and deals with all sorts of other topics (that were mostly not funny BTW). There is not really a red line in this film thats what i missed.

Overall, after the movie i had the impression to have wasted 2 precious hours of my life for a not entertaining movie. I hope i can warn some people from doing the same.

WHAT WAS SO FUNNY? Glad I'm not the only one who thought this sucked

Author: petertommaatta-1 from United States
28 October 2011

I didn't see this in the theater when it came, but everybody said it was sooo funny (these were all women). I went in with an open mind and wanted to see a funny "female" version of THE HANGOVER, or something as funny.

Boy was I disappointed. The night before watching this, I saw BAD TEACHER, which was funny from start to finish. Far exceeding my expectations.

Then I went in to watch BRIDESMAIDS, and the opening scene was funny. The next scene with Wiig and Rudolph talking about penis was good. But... waiting... waiting... waiting... waiting...

This was what I was doing for, what seemed like 30 minutes. I was waiting for the next funny scene.

This movie felt like they were shooting a first draft of the script and didn't bother to take out the slow stuff. I was yelling at the screen... "Alright! Alright! Move it! Get to the point!" This was soooo slow and drawn out. Then... Rudolph shitting in the street was kinda funny after the "forced" jokes in the fitting scene. I mean forced. Melissa McCarthy shitting in the sink, was so forced and bad. No pun intended.

The worst scene was the airplane sequence. Just a bunch of weak little jokes, or failed attempts at jokes, with all the characters. There was set-ups that didn't pay off. It was just bad. They should have just cut that scene out. There was no real need for it. The point of the airplane scene (and the previous scenes where they discuss Vegas) was for this bachelorette (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) party that we NEVER EVEN GET TO SEE! One chick wants balls in her face, the other chick admits she's never slept with any man but her husband... set-ups... with NO PAY OFF! WHAT WAS THE POINT? The only funny thing I can remember next, was the scene where Wiig is trying to get the cops attention in her car, driving back and forth, drinking, topless, etc. That was funny, but...

That was it. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. They needed to have re-written this script, because there was lots of potential, that went wasted, in my opinion.

But, it made over $286 million worldwide, so, they got lucky with it.

I really wanted to love this one, but it wasn't for me. Maybe it was just meant for women.

Less Funny than Sad

Author: gradyharp from United States
22 September 2011

BRIDESMAIDS is not a film this viewer would normally have watched, but in a week where there is very little else available On Demand on television, the button parked here. In many ways the film was a surprise, actually better than expected. The promo for the film was that it was a female version of HANGOVER or BORAT, an attempt to demonstrate to guys that women can be just as gross and vulgar as men. But actually the story is more a tale of a group of sad women, unhappy in many ways with their relationships with not only men but also with other women. Written by star Kristen Wigg and Annie Mumolo and directed by Paul Feig it is a pulled together series of vignettes about women in distress, and while it does include the gross-out promises of PR (barf/flatulence/body insert references) and the manner in which women in competition behave, it still remains a story of how sad people cope.

Annie (Kristin Wiig) is a barely employed woman who has lost her dream of having her own bakery and having a meaningless physical relationship with cad Ted (Jon Hamm) relies on her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) to get through life, until Lillian announces she is getting married and asks Annie to be her Maid of Honor. Even though Annie is broke, living with a disgusting British brother and sister as a roomer, she accepts the responsibilities. The sparkle of the wedding dream plans fizzles when Annie meets the incongruous group of women who will be bridesmaids: the wealthy, haughty Helen (Rose Byrne), the obese socially gross Megan (Melissa McCarthy), the oversexed inappropriate mother Rita (Wendi McLendon McCarthy) and the silly insubstantial Becca (Ellie Kemper). In a series of gag moments - eating in a Brazilian café, trying on dresses, a grossly overdone flight in the direction of Las Vegas, and a preposterous wedding shower - the girls fall apart as potential friends only, of course, to some together in the end.

There are a few redeeming elements in the film that are worthy of attention - the Irish police officer Nathan Rhodes a sparkling Chris O'Dowd) who provides the only semblance of true sentiment in Annie's ridiculous life and Annie's mother played by Jill Clayburgh in what was to be her last role (she died of Leukemia seen after the film was completed). Kristin Wiig does carry the film, despite the fact that her expressions and character show minimal variation as the story plods along. But in the end, despite all the attempts to out-gross HANGOVER, this is a sad little film about bruised women and how their interdependence provides a way out of the meaningless lives they lead.

Grady Harp

Delivers the laughs but remembers to keep the warmth and heart in there too

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 August 2011

I'd not had my fill of Judd Apatow movies when it came to Bridesmaids being released, but to be honest I was wondering how he managed to get as much success as he had and I had not loved his films as much as everyone else; so, although he was only executive producer of this, it was enough to make me wonder if it was worth the money. I went anyway and was pleased to find that the film not only did his style of humour but did it in such a way that the viewer is along for the ride and cares about the film rather than being on the outside, which I had found can happen with some of his own stuff.

Bridesmaids follows a group of women mostly in their mid-30's and focuses on Annie, who is semi-trapped in a f-buddy "relationship" because it is at least something even though it is not what she wants. When her best friend gets engaged, Annie finds herself in a battle of one-upmanship with Lillian's new friend Helen (who is quite wealthy) in terms of showering the bride-to-be with love. At the same time as losing these battles, Annie's unhappiness also ruins other aspects of her life. It is a fairly relatable tale, even for men but more importantly it is very funny.

In terms of the majority of the film what we have is a serious of comic misadventures for Annie as nice ideas turn sour; a pre-fitting meal turns into a terrible toilet-related experience, a fear of flying sees her drunk at 40000 feet and so on. All of it is pretty much par for the course (indeed the female characters even talk in the "dude" language of Apatow's films) but yet it works because it has energy and imagination in its execution. The script is tight as a drum and the awkward aspect of the comedy is well used. What really made it work for me though, was that I felt the film had a genuine heart and warmth to it that isn't always there with similar films. I understood Annie and also cared for her, so I had a connection to the film beyond waiting for the next laugh. Although the comedy did involve nudity, sex, bodily functions and swearing, it never felt cruel towards the characters or that any of the characters were simply written that way to get a laugh. Even with Megan, she was a funny character, but she was still a character I liked rather than just being the butt of jokes. I laughed frequently throughout but at the same time still cared about the characters.

The cast are all good even though it is the oddest cast selection I have seen in quite some time – so many odd sources, so many faces I know from TV (some of whom never even had a word to say). Wiig is really relatable and funny, with just enough edge of pained loneliness to carry that side of the film; OK she should pay 50% of her fee for this to Tina Fey because of how much of Fey is in her performance, but it works nonetheless. Rudolph is really natural and the rest of the group all have a similar air of realism. McCarthy is hilarious, even in little asides she is great; Kemper sort of repeats her Office turn to good effect; St Claire is funny in a limited way while Byrne is just a perfect bitch with money and fake smiles. The supporting cast beyond this are such an odd mix of names and faces that even a few days later I'm still thinking "how did all of that come together". Firstly the male lead is an Irish comedian famous for a UK sitcom; O'Dowd does a great job and I thought he had an easy chemistry that worked so well with Wiig, but he was still an odd find. Matt Lucas is here too, and there's Terry Crews in a tiny role (Everybody Hates Chris), and the N.General from Deadwood (Ajaye), and John Hamm, and Michael Scott's old boss David from The Office (who doesn't even get a word); it is an unusual cast to say the least but yet it works because everyone (even small roles) are on point.

Bridesmaids is not too different from similar pack comedies that deal with grownup "dudes" struggling with adult life, but yet as an end product it is stronger than these similar products. That the stars are women is neither here nor there, the difference is that although the very funny comedy is based on bodily functions, sex and exaggeration as normal, Bridesmaids remembers that it helps to like the characters involved and that it helps to give the film at least some heart and warmth. It is this sense of charm and warmth that made the difference for me – not only was I laughing frequently, but I actually liked the film for how nice it was as well.