IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 39 of 49: [Prev][34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [Next]

Entertaining (maybe some spoilers)

Author: comicman117 from United States
23 September 2011

Bridesmaids directed by Paul Feig, written by Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig.

Starring Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy, and Chris O'Dowd.

Let me start by saying expectations for this film were pretty high, and they were met to a certain degree. Bridesmaids is a fairly entertaining film, with several funny moments but also several WTF one's as well.

The basic plot is that of Annie a woman who lost not only her boyfriend but also all of her savings. She then finds that she has been picked as her best friend's maid of honor, where she finds herself working through some weird rituals alongside a group of bridesmaids.

This film has some nice direction (alongside other things) and some funny moments. It's pretty impressive considering the fact that this is Kristen Wiig's first leading role (I don't think she's very funny on SNL), and there's some funny moments from other members of the cast (especially Jon Hamm in a cameo as Ted a man that Annie has a sexual relationship with).

One note of interest is that this is Jill Clayburgh's final film (the actress that played Annie's mother). Not the best way to end your career, if you ask me.

Overall a pretty good time.

Funniest Comedy of 2011

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
16 September 2011

¨You're like the maid of dishonor¨ Bridesmaids isn't your ordinary chick flick, and I wouldn't necessary call it the female version of The Hangover either, because this movie works very well for a male audience as well. Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo managed to write one of the funniest scripts of the year in my opinion. I hadn't laughed so hard in a movie for quite some time. This is definitely the best comedy I've seen all year. Kristen Wiig not only co-wrote the script, but she also played the main character of the film; and she was absolutely hilarious. Mumolo also had a small cameo as one of the passengers in the plane that sat next to Wiig. After watching Bridesmaids all I can say is that I hope that these two actresses continue to work together because they managed to deliver a lot of laughs and it's a movie that both male and female audiences will enjoy. It is probably the best SNL film I've seen in a long time. This is a really smart comedy which at times reminded of Tina Fey's work in Mean Girls. Paul Feig was also the right choice as the director, although he was mostly known for directing TV series like The Office, Nurse Jackie, and Arrested Development. Judd Apatow's name is also attached to this film as one of the producers and that is always a good sign because Apatow is usually synonym to a funny comedy. This is my favorite comedy of the year so far.

Annie (Kristen Wiig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph) have been best friends all their lives; they've shared the best of times and the worst of times together. Lillian seems to be going through a great point in her life and she has a healthy relationship with Dougie (Tim Heidecker), while Annie is pretty much at a low point after losing all her money in a bakery business that went bankrupt. She also has an unhealthy relationship with Ted (Jon Hamm) who only calls her for sex and then basically kicks her out of the house. Dougie asks Lillian to marry him, and of course Lillian asks Annie to be her maid of honor. Annie decides she is going to give Lillian the best wedding ever, but things don't turn out as expected. Lillian introduces her other bridesmaids to Annie and she finds a rivalry with Lillian's new wealthy friend named Helen (Rose Byrne) who seems just perfect. Helen seems sweet and nice, and Annie becomes jealous of their friendship. The other bridesmaids: Becca (Ellie Kemper), Rita (Wendi McLendon-Covey), and Megan (Melissa McCarthy) all seem to love Helen's ideas as well. As everyone begins to favor Helen; and things continue to go bad for Annie she becomes more and more jealous and pretty soon this might affect her friendship with Lillian. As a side story Annie is pulled over by a cop named Nathan (Chris O'Dowd) who ends up being a neighbor of Annie's and soon they begin a nice friendship that can turn things around for Annie if she doesn't blow it likes she's done so many times before.

The movie began a little slow for me and I didn't have as much fun with it until the bridesmaids show up and the rivalry begins. I really loved Melissa McCarthy's (star of the TV series Mike and Molly) performance; she was truly hilarious and stole every scene she was in. Wiig also is great in the lead role and she had good chemistry with her SNL co-star Maya Rudolph. There are also very memorable and laugh out loud scenes like the one in which the bridesmaids go try on their clothes, or when they all get on a plane together to fly to Vegas. There are really great moments in the movie and I had a great time with it. I laughed really hard and loved most performances from the cast. Guys shouldn't doubt on seeing this film because it isn't an ordinary chick flick, it doesn't follow those same formulas, it is much more than that and the scenes work in a true comedic fashion. This is a really funny movie and one you won't want to miss.

It's not what you think it is!

Author: Diet Bacon Cola from Thailand
11 September 2011

It doesn't happen often that I would give 10 stars to a movie just like that but this one deserves it because it got balls, balls on what many viewers hope to be a chic flick which it is not to my satisfaction. If I knew what to expect I would rate this movie probably with 8.5 stars but after reading how disappointed the romantic comedy fraction is about this movie, who expected another boy meets girl, boy falls in love, they have a have a break up and get back together in the end kind of movie it deserves the whole 10 points. Haven't we seen them all? Haven't we seen them enough? I sure did and this movie kept surprising me the entire 2 hours. I didn't really know where it would go, I didn't know why it is going where it is going, and while it was crossing several lines of good taste it was surprisingly touching.

This movie got Kristen Wiig in the lead, she is not cut out for a romantic comedy, she is weird on SNL and she was weird in this movie and the role was perfect for her. This movie isn't even a comedy or a drama it is pure satire and it shows women doing men stuff. I am sure that is upsetting a lot of men and makes them insecure. The movie provides rare insight for men what women think about us men in bed and what they dream of, it is not another Cinderella Story and that is the charm about it. It was refreshing to see Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) from her dark side, it actually fits her brilliantly and even me as a guy was charmed by Chris O'Dowd in his role as officer Rhodes.

This movie features plenty of scenes with profanity which I wouldn't dare to laugh at if it was done with men but since these things happened to women I simply loved it since I have never seen it before. This was a new kind of movie to me and I can only recommend to see it if you like dark satire and when you are not ashamed to see bad things happen to good people, if you are the type of person who likes to see one of those streamlined romantic comedies you will be disgusted. You certainly need a brain for this movie because it doesn't have a dramatic soundtrack that tells you where to laugh and where to cry it has no music whatsoever, it let's the characters act it out and that suits this movie quite well, however there are people who need a soundtrack since they don't know the concept of sarcasm and satire and they will end up confused.

I quote one of the other reviewers since he analyzed it brilliantly, this is the ultimate anti chick flick. This is a love it or hate it kind of film, the reviews clearly show that, it is new and provocative and in 10 years the same people who are ripping this movie apart today won't remember why they did it. As time goes by movies evolve and cross more and more lines, this movie is a front runner when it comes to that.

Surprisingly good, light hearted, and very funny.

Author: Afflock from Columbus, OH
4 September 2011

Have not laughed this much in a move for a long time.

Took my female friend, I'm a guy, to see this movie as she has been wanting to see it. Heard good things about it.

We saw it at a second run theatre and it was still very well attended.

This is a very funny movie from the female perspective, which is a refreshing take as many recent wedding movies have been from the male perspective. It is male friendly, in that the jokes are not too much inside jokes only women would get. There may have been a few but everyone enjoyed it.

It is a very funny movie. There are a lot of jokes tossed around and a few are easy to miss. The foul language was used to make a joke or a point, it was not like some films that just cuss to establish a "tough" character, here it was for comedic affect.

The ensemble cast each was a different personality that a person would have to deal with in a wedding party. The writing really worked the dynamics well to provide character development that lead to more laughs. It was over the top at times, but intentionally so and did not take itself too seriously.

Go see it with friends. You will have a good laugh-out-loud time and something to talk about afterwards. There is something to be said about experiencing a good comedy in a movie theatre with other people. It is more enjoyable when you are laughing with other people. Know I probably embarrassed my friend by how loud I was laughing and spilled our drink from a "OMG she did not just say that" moment.

There is one extra scene after the movie ends before the credits. Was hoping there was something after the credits as it is becoming more common, but unfortunately it was all before the credits and after the movie.

A funny movie, but would have been better if I say it earlier. Did not live up to the hype. Still worth watching. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
3 September 2011

"Why can't you be happy for me and then go home and talk about me behind my back like a normal person?" After being asked to be the maid of honor to her friend Lillian (Rudolph), Annie's (Wiig) life that is already in disarray becomes even more so. After thinking she is being replaced as best friend she tries too hard to compensate. Almost ruining the wedding in the process. This movie has what I call the "Due Date" or "Hangover" curse. Like those movies, the first people to see it, before the hype and word of mouth got out of control think this is great and hilarious. People like me who have waited a little too long and have outrageous expectations are left disappointed. Going in thinking this is the female "Hangover" I was excited. While I can see the comparisons, it was more chick-flicky then I was expecting. While this did have funny parts and I did laugh it wasn't as good as expected. Overall, this is a good movie, but because of the expectations I had I didn't like it as much as I thought. I give it a B.

Would I watch again? - I might, just to see if it's better the second time.

*Also try - Something Borrowed & The Sweetest Thing

Good satire... but the ending

Author: me-lasierra from Spain
25 August 2011

Good, very good piece of comedy. The leading actress was splendid, as the rest of the actors, the story was engaging, and over all, VERY funny. What I liked most was the film's poignancy at criticizing the wedding ritual in American (occidental) society. Oh yes, so funny! Exactly what I feel about weddings and all the stupid traditions around it, based mostly in one feeling: ENVY. The comic situations are very extreme and funny. But the ending... after such a strong and saucy social satire, why has it to end as any romantic comedy does??? the vulgarity! the girl overcomes herself, gets to grasp her life, and the blue prince appears (OK; the gag of the car, with her trying to get his forgiveness is funny, but still...) and the friends, after showing each other their most ugly faces, they all became super really good friends again and... PUAG!!! It does not match the first part of the movie, which confronted social traditions so wonderfully, and it totally spoils the movie. And it is not realistic. Too bad. Do the audience still need a good ending to go back home in peace, thinking that everything is gonna be OK??? I feel like a five year old when they patronize me like that!!!

Likable but too thin and low-key to deliver bigger laughs or a serious point

Author: mysteriesfan from United States
19 August 2011

When I am in the mood for a fun, screwball comedy, it is nice to find a film by Saturday Night Live cast members. Over the years, I have missed a lot of these movies (all of Belushi, Adam Sandler, and Rob Schneider, much of Will Ferrell and Mike Myers and (fortunately) Bill Murray; plus Baby Mama, MacGruber, and others). And there have been some big disappointments (like Master of Disguise, Stuart Saves His Family). But I still look forward to the ones I am able to get to the theater to see. The latest was Bridesmaids, which generally received good reviews but which left me with mixed feelings. The plot is well summarized by other reviews, so I will not repeat it.

There were some funny scenes. Stand-outs include the bridesmaids trying on fancy gowns while being stricken with food poisoning from a diner Wiig took them to; Wiig acting crazy on a plane, or to vent her frustrations at the over-the-top bridal shower, or to get a patrolman's attention. Although crude at times, the movie mainly came across as cute, sweet, and genuine. Overall, the acting was good. Wiig's down-to-earth, slightly cranky policeman boyfriend stole the show. The characters were quirky but had real humanity. Only the narcissistic pig who Wiig spent the night with at the start of the movie was a total loser, and he got some well-deserved comeuppance (but not enough, due to a too low-key Wiig). Otherwise, the movie avoided mean-spirited or over-the-top caricaturing. Even Wiig's nemesis, her childhood friend Maya Rudolph's glitzy, seemingly perfect new friend, ended up being portrayed sympathetically as a decent person. The characters' actions, even when exaggerated for laughs, mostly seemed to flow naturally from who they were presented to be. The movie suggested the larger themes that life is what you make of it and that tomorrow is another day.

But the movie fell short. Qualities that made it endearing also held back and sapped its energy. It was too slight and understated, and its storytelling too choppy, slow, and uncertain (as, to some extent, was Wiig's acting; Rudolph was reduced to a totally straight role, with none of her normal spark). The film's scattered attempts to be serious and to send a message (including simply coasting on some easy-listening song lyrics toward the end) felt vague, superficial, and false.

For example, at a low point for Wiig, when she is hiding out at her mother's home depressed, a loud, crass bridesmaid who is Rudolph's groom's sister and appears to have no prior relationship and to have spent almost no time with Wiig, suddenly shows up and starts wrestling with her on the couch (to get her to show some spunk, we are told). But this key scene (which also includes the sister trashing the groom to Wiig for no reason and with no explanation) comes out of nowhere. There is no preparation for it in the character of this other bridesmaid or any familiarity or rapport between the two women. It is uncomfortable, drawn-out, and phony. Wiig, again acting far too subdued (as she does too often in the film), does not even seem to get it, or to take it anywhere. To chalk this up to Wiig's character's self esteem problems does not make it interesting or effective. Another example, also a key scene, is when the new friend's plans for a flamboyant, extravagant wedding finally become too much for Rudolph, who goes AWOL, returns to her roots, reconciles with Wiig, and says the whole thing has gotten out of hand and out of sync, financially and otherwise, with her family and friends. Yet, the movie bulled right ahead, as if the scene had never happened, to exactly the overblown wedding that Rudolph supposedly had come to realize was not true to who she is, just to squeeze laughs out of all of the excess and to close on a flashy note.

Nor did it help the movie that some of the gags did not flow naturally from the characters and story, but were gratuitous, silly, or pat. A small example was Wiig suddenly becoming childish after a serious scene with the policeman, giggling to him to run the siren, just to provide a light-hearted note to end on. A much worse example was the ill-fitting, baseless, tasteless scene about a sandwich that was tacked on to the end credits when it should have been left on the cutting room floor or for a deleted scenes disk.

These problems dragged down a movie that I wanted to like a lot more.

Yes you need to be drunk to have THE HANGOVER!

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
19 August 2011

Something does not seem to add up. Something seems to have passed me by and I have no idea what it is. As I sit down and recollect what took place during the past 125 minutes I am overcome by mixed sensations of satisfaction and disappointment. How will I rate this? This is the constant thought that is running across my mind whilst I recollect my thought. I always had 4 stars in mind, 4 out of 10! I know I am being very pessimistic and sincerely I feel I am a bit too harsh on my opinion. Hence I am content to settle with 6 stars, 6 out of 10!

Are you familiar with the term Ventricular fibrillation? In Layman terms it's a condition where a human has an irregular heartbeat. Normally our hearts beat almost to that of the beat of the Bee Gees hit Staying alive. Now picture the same beat on a heart rate monitor. A normal beat Vs a patient who is suffering with VF. Erratic lines will be jumping all over the monitor and if something is not done about it the patient sadly will die. This is what the flow of comedy was in Bridesmaids. It was very erratic, the funny scenes are very scarce however when it did get funny, oh boy does it crack you up. The scenes are amazingly well written and brilliantly interpreted by the cast. However once that particular scene is done and dusted with it bogs down tremendously. Now this brings me to the script. Written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo I have strong feeling this was entirely written for women. I am not exaggerating. I am seated in a theatre full of women whilst I watch this. I am also overhearing a lot of negative chatter on the movie as well. This is one in particular that stuck in my head "This is nothing like Hangover". Exactly what my thoughts are as I am watching the movie. I believe the marketing campaign was a bit misleading to a few us since this was supposed to be the female version of The Hangover. In fact they did approach Todd Phillips for the directorial however does not seem to have worked out well.

When Lillian (Maya Rudolph) quite unexpectedly is to be married, best friend Annie (Kristen Wiig) is unanimously picked as her maid of honor. Annie who has no sense of direction in life hits rock bottom and now there is now way to go but up or so she thinks. At the rehearsal dinner Annie is introduced to Lillians' fiancés bosses wife (Did I lose you there?) aka Helen (Rose Byrne). There is saying "The party starts after a toast is made". OK I made that up, but really after 25 minutes into the movie, break out its first comic relief. It was hilarious and my sides hurt after all the laughter! Annie feels she is being stepped on by Helen and wants to regain control of all that is left until the wedding day. Sounding a bit like Bride Wars, Monster in Law at this point of time, it actually is quite similar although it should not be mistaken for a parody. Regardless of it all, the 6 ladies bond in an effort for making this a successful wedding treat for Lillian. Megan (Melissa McCarthy) who is the sister of the groom and Officer Rhodes (Chris O Dowd) are the show stealers. In fact the directorial approach by Paul Feig is felt more like that of THE IT CROWD or EPISODES (Sitcoms). It's not slapstick like Jack Black doing Cartwheels in Lilliput. It's all in the script and its lines and its very little acting but more of the dialogue that matters.

Undoubtedly I am clearly a minority who share this opinion, since this summer hit was very well accepted by our viewers; however I do know that there is a potential market out there that has misread the entire advertising campaign and would feel as I do.

YES YOU NEED TO BE DRUNK TO HAVE THE HANGOVER!

Title: Bridesmaids Directed by: Paul Feig Starring: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne & Chris O Dowd Rated: R for strong sexuality and language throughout. Rating: 06/10 125 Minutes

A goofy movie with lots of goofs.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
21 July 2011

The problem with this movie is that the lead roles went to the wrong actors. This movie should have starred Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone. They were incredibly funny! The other cast members were not. Every scene with Ms. McCarthy was hilarious, especially the bathroom scene which she stole. As for the story itself, the conflict between the two bridesmaids was completely contrived, seemed to be almost tragic and not particularly funny. The actors were not funny and indeed there were moments when Maya Rudolph seemed like she was going to cry. Now if Melissa McCarthy had played the main bridesmaid and Ben Falcone her boyfriend, then the movie would have been a farce and would have generated a lot more laughs, but so much for "what if." Anyway, the movie has a lot of raunchy humor which required raunchy actors, and with the exception of Ms. McCarthy and Mr. Falcone, the raunchy actors were not there.

Comedy Movie

Author: Carrigan Johnson
26 February 2014

Bridesmaids directed by Paul Feig, introduced a movie not only for women, but also for men. It was released to theaters on May 13, 2011 and was a box office success. This movie brought in the raunchiness of The Hangover, but appealed it to women. It showed the main characters as a "Group of women friends who are as unbehaved as the guys in "The Hangover"" (Ebert). Its crude humor made it appeal to both sexes and this is one of the most important elements of this film. "A woman's point of view is one of the film's great distinctions" (Morgenstern). Based on the trailer I did not believe it was going to be a very comical movie, but once hearing all the good words about it, I had to see it for myself. I thought the movie was going to be a typical maid of honor story, but I was happily surprised. The movie obtained great reviews from reputable sources; it had compelling characters, a comical plot, and incredible writing. IMDb rated Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) a 6.9 out of 10, which is higher than average, but I think it could have been better. Roger Ebert had the right idea and gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars and he believed that this movie made an attempt to cross the line from "chick flick" into Raunch comedy. Entertainment Weekly also believed this idea, "Bridesmaids begins to leave every cookie-cutter ''chick flick'' miles behind" (Gleiberman). This movie was not afraid to cross the line and this was shown during a lesbian kiss during the plane scene. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) showed the audience that men and women have an equal playing field and that even romance films can be for both sexes. Rolling Stone writer Peter Travers believed that the only downside of the movie was when it was trying to resemble and compete with The Hangover. Some people could have believed the movie contained too much sexual content, but it was definitely not too graphic. The raunchiness of the film added an extra uniqueness to this popular female dominated comedy.

The cast did a spectacular performance of their roles especially Melissa McCarthy. Her character Megan was a highlight of the movie because of her quirky and strange personality. Most of the audience's favorite scenes included Megan in a substantial way, such as the bridal shop food poisoning scene and the plane scene. In the plane scene she had great interactions with the "air marshal," who in reality is her husband. This was an interesting addition to the film. McCarthy was not the only great supporting role. Rose Byrne who played Helen adapted right into her pushy and insufferable character (Morgenstern). One of the best parts of the movie was at the engagement party when Annie and Helen had to deliver speeches and it turned into a competition of who was a better friend to Lillian. Feig took a simple moment and expanded it into one of the most remembered scenes. Kristin Wiig was extraordinary and definitely excelled not only as an actress, but as a writer. In the movie she brought in some of her own mannerisms and made the character of Annie seem more real, and created a three-dimensional character (Gleiberman). Annie had a sad and hard life, which the audience could easily relate too. Annie lost her business and had to work in a job, which she hated. She had terrible roommates, a confusing love life, and a horrible car, which all combined to a train wreck of a life (Morgenstern). The main plot featured Annie and Helens' feud and through out the movie it progressed into funnier moments. The passive aggressive remarks towards each other developed the tension and the comedy in the film. There were multiple characters in the movie and one great thing about it was that it kept "all the members of the bridal party in play" (Ebert). The bridesmaids with the smaller roles developed along with the main characters. The character Becca slowly started to discover herself as she got to know Rita. The movie took a short time to look into their newfound friendship. There were not very many male characters, but the two that are predominately shown, did a great job. "Jon Hamm scores howls as a man-whore, and Chris O'Dowd excels as an Irish cop sweet on Annie" (Travers). Something that was probably not necessary was the addition of Annie's roommates. They did not support the story line and the movie could have done without them. Even though they provided some humor, they were only in about three short scenes. The writing by Kristin Wiig and Annie Mumolo made the film as popular as it is. The comical phrases such as, "I'm gonna climb him like a tree", "It's coming out of me like lava", and "help me I'm poor," have become very quotable and memorable (Bridesmaids). The movie did not focus its attention on the romance side rather than on its comical side. The dysfunctional characters coming together in one bridal party was a simple idea, which had great results. Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011) is a movie, which lifts audiences' spirits when they are low. It is a movie, which will bring tears to your eyes and laughter in the room. Each character in the movie played their role to their best ability and achieved great popularity for their film.