IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 38 of 46: [Prev][33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [Next]

Hilarious! You don't like it? Shut up.

Author: JasonJanis16 from Canada
23 July 2011

First off I'm a guy, I wanted to see it more than my girlfriend, and we saw it in a group in a packed theatre. Everyone one of us was blown away at how good this movie is. I haven't heard anyone talk bad of it until I began reading reviews on here. Wtf is wrong with you people?! You don't find this funny then go read a book about the origins of pi. You people must have had a lobotomy or something. If you like family guy /hangover/ futurama/ Simpsons, etc. You will love this movie. Yes it has some crude, poop, humor parts, but so what? If you are an adult who can't handle jokes about poo (fecal matter) then what the hell is wrong with you? Hint, everybody poos, get over it. I loved the set up, the scene on the airplane and puppy parts "I'm really more of a six puppy person." if you're older than 13 and younger than 60 you SHOULD be able to handle the style of comedy and laugh you arse off. Hope so, cheers.

Ensemble Cast rocked this movie

Author: (porgiamor) from Canada
28 June 2011

Once Melissa McCarthy opens her mouth as she talks about the deep connection she had with a dolphin, I was rolling on the floor... literally. I did not want Melissa McCarthy to shut her mouth at all until the end of the movie. Also "That's what friends are for" was very funny stuff. More funny laughs follow when the rivals play tennis and hit tennis balls at each other's breasts - hilarious. Bridal store digestion problems follow later on, then Kristen Wiig as Annie eats candied almonds - her facial expressions were to die for. Even the nervous woman on the plane, Annie Mumolo was terrific. Then Kristen Wiig can't hide her anger problems at work and has a really heated and funny exchange with a young teenage shopper. Of course Jill Clayburgh was irreplaceable. Then the "I took two dogs they're in the back of my van (but Megan took 9)!" moment was so funny. Maya Rudolph was surprisingly restrained and very subtle - I loved her performance too. Everything that happens to Annie (Wiig) is very depressing but by the end of the movie you do feel that things are looking up for her.

One of the best R rated comedy that is actually good, funny and touching as well.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
28 June 2011

This spring, Universal Pictures and producer Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin) invite you to experience Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig leads the cast as Annie, a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love.

well finally i saw this movie that i couldn't wait to watch. i was so much curious and anticipated to watch this movie since i saw those overwhelming positive reviews that it got mostly by Critics. which literally shocked me to hell since it is a R rated comedy. most of those silly humor doesn't please Critics and me too. i don't like silly comedies too but if a movie no matter which type or genre is actually good then why wouldn't Critics appreciate it. Judd Apatow gave some Critics friendly movies, he is the producer of this movie.

this was one of my most anticipated movies this year, i had really high hopes with it and i am so glad to tell you this that it really lived up to my expectations, literally. i was not a regular viewer of Saturday Night Live but use to see it when it was on TV, the repeat telecast. and i am a big fan of these ladies especially Kristen, Maya and obviously Tina. Kristen wiig stands out from the rest of ensemble cast. i really liked her in this movie. i really wish her a great and bright career ahead and hope to see more of her good movies.

i hardly remember giving a 4.5 Star rating to any other comedy like this except for dark comedies. this is such a lovely and pleasant surprise from this time. this is story of Annie, she is a bit lonely as far as her love life is. she has a childhood good buddy, Lillian who is going to get married and obviously she is been chose as Maid of Honor. she sees a competition from Helen who is more of a expensive buyer and bizarre girl tries to make differences between them too step by step and during this competition she sees herself loosing her best friend and we see hilarious sequences where troubles breaks out. what happens in the end, not gonna tell.

this is not a very fast paced or boring but a slow moving movie that never gets boring or tiring even with a running time of nearly 2 hours. i loved everything that is there in the movie. this movie is one of the most actually funniest movies i have seen lately. i actually laughed a lot. in few scenes i had some uncontrollable laughter. this is comedy at its best. hilarious movie with seriously looking humor. i really liked how it is not so much filled with silly gross crude humor. i mean it is there but not completely filled by it. very nicely and intelligently written. in the end it turns towards a bit softer drama that will really touch you. and overall a Chick Flick feel to it.

very good direction by Paul Feig. i am really impressed by the writers. really superb job with one of the best written comedies. excellent screenplay, nice plot and story. it may get a bit uneven in the middle but not much that overall effects the movie. nicely done acting by Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey , Ellie Kemper , Jill Clayburgh , Chris O'Dowd , Rebel Wilson , Mic hael Hitchcock , Matt Lucas , Tim Heidecker , Terry Crews and others. really nice comic timings by everyone. i liked Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Melissa McCarthy in it. you will see my favorite good looking and dashing actor Jon Hamm in this movie too with a minor role. i really like him. he has a hilarious sequence with Kristen in the beginning of the movie. it has other good things too.

i would definitely recommend you this most delightful lovable and excellent comedy of the year. i must say there are many R rated comedies coming this year and this movie has set a bar. i am not sure most of them would be able to reach it. Do Watch guys.

Easily one of 2011's best comedies...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
26 June 2011

What's that? You don't know any of these people? Okay, surely you know Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph from SNL right? You don't? You're a sad, poor pathetic monkey if you don't even know at least one of these people....

If you don't know them...you better get used to them because these women are comic gold. That's right...I said it... GOLD... especially Wiig. Why, you ask? Because she not only stars in this masterpiece -- she also wrote it. Oh, have I got your attention now? I thought so.

I don't need to explain the movie --- the synopsis states it pretty damn clear. I mean, really. Annie (Wiig) is broke but wants to give her best friend since grade school (Rudolph) the best bride-to-be experience she can on her very limited budget. A 'newbie friend' (Byrne) outshines her in every single category... and let's face it, guys..... everyone has a breaking point, am I right? Thank goodness that WE are all private individuals who live private lives. I mean... who wants to be there on display when something goes horribly wrong? Count me in if it consists of this hilarious supporting cast. I don't even mind that we get swayed from the main storyline about the wedding.... because the interactions between Annie and her sibling roommates (Wilson and Lucas) and her d*ckhead boss (Hitchcock) make this story even MORE fun.

That's what this review is all about... not spoiling a damn thing. You might leave this article saying... 'he didn't say what the movie is about'..... oh really? It's pretty clear what it's about --- it's about 2 hours long and worth every damn penny -- you want story? Then read the frickin' synopsis.... I'm not about to spoil any surprises in what is clearly gonna be one of this year's best comedies.

More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: A

A smart and funny movie--not just for women

Author: Jim Gilligan from Lafayette, IN
22 June 2011

A very funny movie, "Bridesmaids" is more than just a female take on "The Hangover." Although the movie did contain some thematically Hangover-like elements (general silliness and buffoonery), one scene in particular—and I'm talking about the scene when the bridesmaids all go shopping for their dresses after having dined at a questionable Brazilian restaurant—manages to outgross even some of the raunchiest "guy" movies. Kristen Wiig is hilarious (as always) as the main character whose life is spiraling to rock-bottom (loser boyfriend—played by an uncredited Jon Hamm at his absolute smarmiest, lousy job, bizarre roommates) just as her bff (Maya Rudolph) is planning her wedding with the assistance of a new buttinsky bff, played with appropriately haughty aplomb by Rose Byrne. Melissa McCarthy is offensively hilarious as the earthy sister-of-the-groom who lacks any sense of tact, and Jill Clayburgh (in her final film role) is quirkily earnest as Wiig's mom. Although the film devolves somewhat into a typical happily-ever-after master narrative (Wiig's character really can't be happy until she finds a man—luckily, that man is played by the handsome and charming Irish actor Chris O'Dowd), its sharp sense of humor and caustic wit definitely make it worth seeing. And just try to resist singing along to Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" during the wedding scene.

Funny movie, even for guys!

Author: gfouty2001 from United States
22 June 2011

This is going to be short and sweet as there are a lot of reviews that go into really good detail.

Here is the thing, if you don't have a sense of humor or don't like crude humor, don't see this movie. Some of the reviews on here are just ridiculous. "It wasn't what I expected from the previews". Really? It was EXACTLY what I thought it was going to be from the previews. Do you not watch SNL? What previews were you watching? I thought the movie was really funny and the only reason I saw it was because I lost a bet with my wife (I wanted to see X-men: First Class).

I love Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph on SNL so I knew they were funny but I didn't know they could act as well. The chemistry between the two of them really makes the movie for me. Maybe because they have spent so many years together on SNL or maybe they really are best friends but you really believe that the two of them are best friends. The dialog between the two just seems real.

So is short, this humor is not for everyone but to think it is any different than the previews is just moronic.

Good Movie. Go see it!

About time we saw the ladies behaving badly

Author: paulf-61 from United Kingdom
18 June 2011

Bridesmaids, the latest film from producer Judd Apatow, is a little different from his usual male-driven comedies. Instead of a group of guys having a long series of amusing mishaps, this time it's the girls. Or rather one girl: Annie, played brilliantly by Kristen Wiig, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Annie Mumolo.

The film follows Annie in her adventures as maid of honour to life–long friend Lillian (Rudolph). She already has her fair share of troubles (roommates, job, money, car, failed business etc.), and now she's in competition with ridiculously rich Helen (Byrne) for the role of best friend/best bridesmaid to Lillian.

There are a lot of jokes in this movie; almost all of them are hilarious and not always the gross-you-out kind, which we tend to see a lot of these days. There is the food poisoning bit, which as an idea is pretty disgusting(ly funny), but apart from some vomit, you don't see anything gross. As well as the lack of revolting images, it's also nice to see a comedy where all the best jokes aren't used in the trailer. Yes, the food poisoning and the plane scenes are set up, and the roommates are introduced (Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson as the British siblings she share the apartment with), but watching the whole thing is much, much funnier.

The film does have an actual story going on besides the bridesmaids' antics, and some drama to go with our troubled character. The breather in between all the jokes is welcome, and a little bit necessary. Some jokes wouldn't work so well if the audience is still laughing from the last one. The pause is always cut appropriately short, usually courtesy of Megan, the groom's sister (McCarthy). She also manages to save Annie's self-pitying from getting annoying. Watching her cry at Cast Away can only be so funny. However, it is so difficult not to laugh for the most of the movie that these small moments are easily forgiven.

Some parts of the storyline weren't fully developed. The bit between Rita and Becca (the other two bridesmaids, played by Wendy McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on the plane didn't really go anywhere after that scene. I didn't find it that funny, so it's not like I wanted it to go somewhere, but it's an odd moment in my memory of the film. Also, the character of Annie's mother (Jill Clayburgh) could have been really funny if it had gone further, but she barely had two scenes. She goes to Alcoholics Anonymous but she's never had a drink in her life. I wanted to know more.

For a movie written by two women the characters are a little more clichéd than I would expect, but if it works, I guess it doesn't really matter. Rudolph as the bride and Wiig, Byrne and the other three as her bridesmaids make a really good ensemble. There won't be a moment you won't have a smile on your face, if you're not already crying with laughter. The film seems to be aimed at a female audience, but hopefully the Apatow name will bring the guys in as well, because there is no one (of the appropriate age) who would not enjoy this!

Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Too

Author: puffball97 from United States
30 May 2011

Throughout the years, gross-out comedies would revolve around groups of guys ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin,", "Wedding Crashers," "The Hangover" and now "The Hangover 2," which I have no intention on seeing since I didn't like the first "Hangover," "Hot Tub Time Machine," and "Dinner for Schmucks," from more recent years) or just one girl who is the object of desire of many guys ("There's Something About Mary"). But now, there is a twist. The girls are the protagonists of gross-out.

Raunchmeister Judd Apatow is the producer. Paul Feig is the director. They treated the ladies the same way men would get treated in gross out movies. The ladies would drink, cuss, tear each other apart, and would have so much fun doing all that.

"Saturday Night Live" alum Kristen Wiig is the star of the movie. She is Annie, a young woman whose life is on the rocks when her best childhood girlfriend Lillian (fellow SNL alum Maya Rudolph) asks her to be the maid of honor at her upcoming wedding. Her love life is not so lovely and she lost two jobs. She beds one man, but has the eye for a police officer who continually runs into her on the streets and everywhere else. Complications come when there are four other bridesmaids on the scene, and all of them duke it out.

Expectedly, the best work comes from heavyset actress Melissa McCarthy as the tough as nails Megan, the sister of the groom. There is always that principle where the least attractive actor/actress becomes the most attractive when they get the best and funniest lines, steals the show from everyone else, and no one else can be as funny or clever, not even the leads. Surely enough, the filmmakers are doing her a favor where beauty is only skin deep, and they are right. The other three "beautiful" bridesmaids are Rose Byrne as Helen, who becomes a fierce rival for Lillian as the matron of honor as she is the trophy wife of the groom's boss, Wendy McLendon-Covey as the tall blonde Rita, an aggressive foul-mouthed stepmother of equally foul-mouthed children, and Ellie Kemper as Becca, the most sensitive bridesmaid who is newly married and feels the sorriest for Annie because she is still single. Lesson to be learned: Never take your beauty for granted. You can be sexy because of your brain.

There are numerous gross out gags that pop up and keep you laughing out loud. But there is a lot of heart as well so we won't think it's just another rambunctious comedy. Due to Jill Clayburgh's recent death, her presence is the most bittersweet. She did have very funny lines as Annie's lustful mother, although she looked wan and weak. It was nice to have a funny comedy be her swan song for her distinguished and respectable career.

Have a great time and laugh. Bring all your friends to see "Bridemaids" and you'll be glad you did.

Hold On

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
29 May 2011

Greetings again from the darkness. Kristen Wiig is everywhere these days. If you don't know the name, you certainly know her face. She is credited with 26 projects since 2009 - and that doesn't even count her weekly work on Saturday Night Live. She is the new Tina Faye ... even though the old Tina Faye is still going very strong.

While I have little doubt that the success of The Hangover was a driving force behind the creation of this film, Ms. Wiig's writing and acting talent elevate this mixture of chick-flick and comedy into one of the finest female film comedies in quite awhile. That's probably not strong enough praise since that category is a bit sparse, but as a guy who gets really tired of the formulaic chick-flick rom-coms and sappy dramas, I found the film to be quite refreshing.

Sure, there are many similarities between this and The Hangover, but the key difference is that the element of female friendship is never far away from the often raunchy comedy we are witnessing. Women so value their BFF's and Ms. Wiig and her writing partner Annie Mumolo (seen as a nervous plane passenger) never lose sight of this.

Also key to any group of female activity is the competitive nature and envious mutterings. They try so hard to appear happy for their friends, when often they are blinded by the current funk in which they find their own life. And look out when a beautiful, rich "new" friend enters the picture. The real fireworks begin ... even in the battle for the last word on the mic at the engagement party! I am not going to give away any of the punchlines or set-ups, but I will highlight the cast. Maya Rudolph is Lillian, the bride to be and lifelong friend of Annie (Wiig); Ellie Kemper (The Office) is Becca, the goody-two shoes newlywed; Wendi McLendon-Covey (Reno 911) is Rita, the bitter, frustrated long-time mother and wife looking for inspiration; Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly, Gilmore Girls) is Megan, the slapstick, gross-out comedy relief; Rose Byrne is Helen, the aforementioned seemingly perfect "new" friend; Chris O'Dowd (Blind Swordsman in Dinner for Schmucks) is Officer Rhodes, the nice guy who has a crush on Annie; Jon Hamm (Mad Men) as Annie's Porsche driving bootie call; and Jill Clayburgh (her final film role) as Annie's mom.

Here is hoping Ms. Wiig continues to push the boundaries of creative comedy for women. I for one look forward to seeing women on screen as more than just love interests and femme fatales.

Could be a good horror movie...

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
27 May 2011

I wasn't so sure about seeing Bridesmaids, it seems every movie with a female lead in a comedy just doesn't work. But I kept hearing great reviews from friends at work, so my girlfriends and I decided to check it out and see if it was worth the hype, but I went in with an extremely good attitude. However once again my girlfriends say how I'm no fun to take to a chick flick because I just thought this was OK. The beginning of the film seemed so promising, I've been waiting for a movie where it would be like the female Hangover. I was maid of honor at my friend's wedding last year and one thing I didn't realize that came with that package is also that you can get quite a bit of jealousy from others and some real competition. It's amazing how seriously women take bridesmaids positions so seriously, but it'd be a great comedy. The problem is that this film fell back into typical formula and became very predictable.

Annie and Lillian have been best friends since their childhood days growing up; when Lillian gets engaged, she asks Annie to be her maid of honor. Lillian also selects four bridesmaids: Helen, the wealthy wife of Lillian's fiancé's boss and new close friend; Becca, a newlywed who loves marriage; Megan, the outgoing sister of the groom; and Rita, a relative who is dissatisfied with her marriage and three sons. While the wedding preparations continue, Annie's personal life is falling apart. Her cake shop went bankrupt, forcing her to take a job at a jewelry store where she is an ineffective saleswoman and makes very little money. She is kicked out of the apartment that she shares with a pair of invasive twins. Despite advice from her friends, Annie is in the midst of a self destructive relationship with a man who only thinks of her as a sex buddy. Annie's chaotic personal life, budget restrictions, and insecurity about Lillian and Helen's friendship begin to take their toll as the wedding draws nearer.

I don't want to complain completely about the movie, the main thing that I found very entertaining was the character Megan played by Melissa McCarthy. I think because she felt like the most real character, she was extremely likable. Kristen Wiig is a very good lead and I found her character while annoying at times, very relatable where sometimes it feels like when it rains it pours. Her and Melissa really carried the film well and had the most laughs. I just wished they had also maybe toned the jokes down, there were three jokes that dragged on forever. The engagement party toast competition, it was starting off really funny, but then dragged on a bit. Then the airplane, where Kristen Wiig is high off of a drug and drunk, so you can tell she was improvising but again it went on a little too long and started to get uncomfortable. And then when she was trying to get pulled over, I got the point after the 3rd joke within a joke. I just thought these jokes if edited correctly, it would have gotten a bigger laugh from me.

But the one thing I cannot deny is that this film was something special for the audience because the lady next to me was laughing hysterically, annoying a little bit, but maybe I'm just missing something or I have become too harsh on films. Like I said, there are some great laughs, I just felt that the ending lost it into being too predictable and that it should have been more about the competition between the bridesmaids. But I would say this is a solid rental, it was over all very harmless and I would say decent enough comedy especially with Kristen and Megan, they made it worth the watch.