IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 37 of 49: [Prev][32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [Next]

Bridesmaids Swearing: The Ultimate Bridesmaids Flick

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
2 December 2011

I was under the impression that 'Bridesmaids' would be another ditzy rom-com, perhaps something on the lines of the ghastly 'Bridewars'. I had been avoiding it for some time until word of mouth got to me and I learned of its international ensemble that included many gifted comedy actors. It turned out to be quite a pleasant and refreshing surprise. It has the polished look of those typical New York rom-coms and even the romance and dramatic moments of that genre but what sets it apart is the dialogue and the crudeness which really gives it more of a touch of reality and it is done so amusingly. The humour is very dirty but the jokes work excellently. It's nice to see a comedy for a change with interesting and funny female characters swearing and cussing and make fools of themselves. All the actors perform confidently. Kristin Wiig (whose also the co-writer alongside Annie Mumolo) does an excellent job in carrying the film. She is wonderfully supported by the first rate Rose Byrne, competent Maya Rudolph, scene stealer Melissa McCarthy, laidback Chris O'Dowd, always dependable Jill Claybourgh (in her final role) and many more. The writers and actors ensure that there's plenty to laugh at and I found myself laughing out loud many times. I see that many have compared it to 'The Hangover' but in my opinion, 'Bridesmaids' is both funnier and cleverer.

Not the rude, mindless comedy I thought it was

Author: scifisuede from Indonesia
2 December 2011

I don't know why I thought that this film would be one of those dumb in-your-face explicit comedies that seem to be the trend lately. Maybe it was the title, which made me think it'd be about a bunch of drunken bridesmaids having sex left and right. Maybe it was because the person who recommended it hasn't had the best taste in films. Either way, I watched it with low expectation - and I was pleasantly surprised.

It's darker and deeper, with well-developed characters. All the bridesmaids have different backgrounds which result in their having different characteristics. The protagonist's character is well told and it's played really well by Kristen Wiig. We can sympathise with her 'going down the drain' life, even when she's being weird and crazy.

The main event of the film is of course the rivalry between our protagonist and her best friend's NEW best friend, which are funny at times and frustrating at others. There's a good mix of drama and comedy in the whole storyline, but as the consequence, there are some awkward moments there as well - some funny parts are not realistic enough compared to the more serious dramatic parts. But hey, that's how life is - sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry. It's still a refreshing comedy compared to what Hollywood is dishing out these days.

Don't Ask!

Author: stevesteinberg44
25 November 2011

So there are people who don't like this movie. There are people who don't like chopped liver. Does that make it right?

That's really the end of my review but I've got to do ten lines to get it in print so I have to tell you I don't spend a lot of time sitting around alone watching movies and laughing out loud but this one scores a 10 on that level alone.

One subteen kid saying to another of his mother in a doubles match that "Watching them play tennis is like watching a tampon commercial" may not be funny enough to be a true spoiler but for some reason from that point on I was out of control. I was told in advance that the movie was very funny but also a bit crude and it was the crude thing that attracted me. Crude it is, from top to bottom. Ebert's word raunchy is even better, but I'm sorry guys, crude, raunchy, and funny together has real class. Terry Southern, you would have loved this flick!

Here comes the "Bridesmaids", all dressed in just alright

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
25 November 2011

I am sorry to separate myself from most of the moviegoer audience, but I just did not feel the love of "Bridesmaids" and think it's the most overrated movie of the year. Now, don't get me wrong, I did not mind walking down the cinematic aisle with a viewing of "Bridesmaids". It did have its share of shits and giggles, especially the former in a most- talked about bridal dress shop scene. But the movie has been hailed as the top comedy of 2011 by many film critics, and I just don't think it deserves that ring of honor. "Bridesmaids" stars the always enigmatic Kristen Wiig as Annie, yea she is a bridesmaid and also the maid of honor of her best gal pal Lilian played by Maya Rudolph. Annie is intimidated by Lilian's new close friend Helen (Rose Byrne) who is an egocentric socialite who will stop at nothing to be Lilian's new best friend and dethrone Annie from that classification. Sounds like silly teenage girls battling for a "best friend" confirmation, doesn't it? Well, that is pretty much how it is in "Bridesmaids". Now, that is not what "Bridesmaids" is all about. There is the rest of Lilian's bridesmaids entourage- the bored housewife Rita (Wendi McClendon-Covey), the adventure-seeker Becca (Ellie Kemper), and the zany Megan (Melissa McCarthy). Director Paul Feig dresses up "Bridesmaids" with many aspects that have already been addressed in other chick-flick movies; the jealous friend, the villainous socialite, the crazy obese character, and the formulaic rom-com storyline. The primary romantic storyline in the movie is of Annie and police officer Nathan Rhodes. They are opposites that are destined to be together; and their boy-gets-girl, girl-loses- boy, girl-desperately tries to get boy again-in movie's final scene is a narrative feature that has been exposed way too many times in this genre. Sure, I am speaking now to forever hold this piece on what is awry of "Bridesmaids", but there was some positive uniformity in the film. Kirsten Wiig was very good as Annie, and the Annie protagonist is what made me want to hold on to "Bridesmaids" as much as I can. Wiig continues to get "wiiigy with it" as one of the best female comedic actresses in today's Hollywood. Chris O'Dowd no doubt was arrestingly charismatic as the witty-liner Officer Dowd. And it was very joyous, even though a bit heartbreaking, to see legendary actress Jill Clayburgh in her final performance as Annie's mom. Clayburgh passed away a few months ago. Wiig and Annie Mumolo scripted up the "Bridesmaids" screenplay with some funny lines, but not enough in the "laugh out loud" department. A lot has been talked about new comedy queen Melissa McCarthy's performance as the madcap Megan, now it was good but not to the level of a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination as it has been buzzed around. Megan sure did a bit of scene-stealing in "Bridesmaids" but I think it does have a bit of Alan-takeoff in them. You don't know what I am referring to, stream or Netflix "The Hangover" and "The Hangover Part 2", which it would be an exercise of futility because chances are you already saw them. Jon Hamm's performance as a womanizer who uses Annie for sex is one of the most pointless performances of the year, Hamm is a good actor and I don't want him to be a mad man towards me for my comments but his talents were wasted here. "Bridesmaids" is a recommendable feature, but there is not enough colorful-movie coordination for it to be proclaimed as a comedic classic. *** Average

Wiig Tries Hard, But This Is No "Baby Mama"

Author: evanston_dad from United States
25 November 2011

A moderately funny comedy that highlights the considerable talents of the under-utilized Kristen Wiig and makes you wish she had been given better material to work with.

When Wiig and her "Saturday Night Live" fellow alumna, Maya Rudolph, are on screen together, the chemistry is palpable and makes one wonder why someone didn't think to give these two a buddy comedy along the lines of "Baby Mama." But instead, Rudolph gets little screen time, and the show belongs to Wiig. Wiig is a very funny comedienne, but the character she gets to play wears out her welcome early on, long before the movie wants to let her learn the lesson all such formulaic comedies must have their main characters learn and rebound for that happy ending. Therefore, the crash and burn that Wiig's character endures becomes pathetic instead of funny, despite Wiig's frantic efforts to wring comedy out of situations that don't lend themselves much to laughs.

Still, the film is a diverting enough amusement for a Friday night, and there are enough laughs to make some of the more mediocre parts worth sitting through.

Grade: B

Lacklustre mildly amusing comedy

Author: ndesautels from London
19 November 2011

I really don't know why people liked this so much. When I saw the preview it didn't look that great but after all the hype and good reviews I figured I better give it a chance. I loved the Hangover and since I keep hearing that this film was the female version I was expecting some great adult humour.

This film is nothing like the Hangover! Just adding some jokes about shitting yourself does not make it a edgy. The lead character is extremely unlikable, and though she acts like a complete dick throughout the film towards her friend and love interest she never apologies and for some reason they end up apologizing to her.

The pacing was terrible, the film was way too long. The jokes were few and far between. The characters were very undeveloped and soulless. The whole thing was pretty pointless. I wouldn't recommend it.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
7 November 2011

Lately over the years I have noticed that action and horror movies are getting The PG-13 rating and comedies are pushing The R rating and frankly most of them are pretty bad. But I just came across one film that lived up to it's hype and made it worth my time. That movie is Bridesmaids.

The film stars Kristen Wiig who plays Annie who is really depressed that her bakery shop Cake Baby has gone bankrupt and she has lost all of her money and has to move in with two people who are obnoxious and annoying. Thing get on the bright side with Annie when her best friend Lillian played by Maya Rudolph announces that she is getting married and wants Annie to be her Maid of honor. But things Get in Annies way when a fellow bridesmaid Helen played by Rose Byrne Steals every idea that Annie has come up with and took for her own.

This is a very fun film but in my opinion this was a little over hyped. One thing that got on my nerves was the scene where Annie And Helen trade off Microphones. It just went on to long. All in all a fantastic movie to watch.

Rated R For Some Strong Sexuality And Language Throughout.

Thetrical: 2hrs 5min/125min. Unrated; 2hrs 11min/131min.

Theatrical: 27 uses of the F-word. Unrated: 31 uses of the F-word.

****/****

too funny. face literally hurt by the time it was over.

Author: ronbeebe2 from United States
2 November 2011

this movie is off-the-hook funny. If you don't enjoy it you either live in a cave or under a rock. 10 out of 10 stars. And don't think this kind of drama does not happen in reality - it happens, every day. More surprising is which characters take the movie and run with it. Although the main character (the blonds) is SNL-funny in her own right, the heavy set sidekick is truly a gem in this one. NOT family friendly, but extremely funny nonetheless. One of our favorite movies in years past was Super Troopers and this movie literally plays along the smae lines (meow). I am certain they will have a sequel as this movie still has plenty of humor left on the table.

A Smarter, Funnier, Ultimately Not a Whole Lot Less Petty Sex and the City

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
14 October 2011

I would say Kristen Wiig fixes a bawdy, plucky and boldly estrogen-soaked banner in the male-dominated raunch-comedy genre with this comedy from the Judd Apatow workshop that his fans have long been hoping for, were it not for that the dilemma at the center of the film is an earnest jealousy over who gets to plan a girlfriend's wedding and lose all self-control when you're not chosen to do so. It's not empowering in the way 9 to 5 or A League of Their Own are, but more like a smarter, funnier, ultimately not a whole lot less petty Sex and the City.

Wiig plays a has-been cupcake entrepreneur whose bakery went bust in the downturn and whose love life comprises ad hoc sex with her obnoxiously vain bed pal, in a hilarious turn by Jon Hamm. Indeed, Bridesmaids opens with one of Wiig and Hamm's vigorous sessions in bed, an unmistakable broadcast that this is a movie that doesn't want much to do with restraint like most chick flicks. When Wiig finds that her lifetime best friend Maya Rudolph is engaged, and that Wiig herself is to be maid of honor, the new reality propels her into a cave-in of resentment, unhappiness and self-pity. But when it's revealed that Rudolph's bridal party will also involve the moneyed, statuesque, impossibly proper Rose Byrne, Wiig's anxieties filter into extravagant circumstances of uncontrollable impulses. This New Money snob is plainly a challenger for Wiig's BFF position, a rallying call Wiig confronts with a swelling succession of ill-advised efforts at one-upswomanship, each bombardment including at least a couple of cup sizes full of explosive laughs.

As funny as these moments are, it's the smaller, more perceptive ones in this Apatow production that I hoped would make it worth appreciating, for director of Bridesmaids is Paul Feig, creator of Apatow's early call to arms for all his talented regulars, Freaks and Geeks, also both touching and hilarious. And indeed, an early scene here with Wiig and Rudolph, in which a chat effortlessly rolls from blowjobs to finely conveyed inside jokes, seizes the patterns and mutual implicit back story of friendship without a glitch. When Wiig meets a romantic-interest policeman named Rhodes, played expressively by Irish actor Chris O'Dowd, the sense is likewise discreet and credible. But this diverting but unfocused formula comedy, which gets this handful of qualities so spot-on, doesn't appear to grasp that it's wide of the mark for much of the remainder: It's content to indulge in graphic and humiliating inconsequentialities, and bashful about the material about which it should've been graphic and indulgent.

Wiig has the unaffected beauty and self-deprecating showmanship it takes to be a star comedienne. She so deftly manages both the laughs and the more tender frowny-faced side of Bridesmaids that the movie's supporting characters often don't have the opportunity to come into their own. Paul Thomas Anderson's talented consort Rudolph is too often demoted to judgmental on-looker of Wiig's behavior.

As two of Wiig's fellow dyed-to-complement entourage, Wendi McClendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper have virtually nothing to do, except one scene culminating in amusingly maudlin drunkenness. In fact, the one eponymous character who imperils to give Wiig a movie-stealing hustle for the envelope is the groom's husky sister Megan, played by an unvaryingly laugh-out-loud Melissa McCarthy.

It's an excessively manufactured hodgepodge, attempting too many comic ideas that ultimately drown the core theme of what a modern woman needs from friendship, love and marriage. If the movie was meant to be bolder, it definitely had a apt satirical foil at its center. The issue of overindulgence, which inculcate the series of extravagant parties in the long build-up to the overstated wedding that ends the movie is left virtually ignored. Never does Bridesmaids ever try for real biting stuff. So at the same time as it feels unreasonable to carp that Bridesmaids never comes together as a cutting satire of the demeaning protocol of getting married that it portrays, the existence of other comedies in Apatow's canon, perhaps especially Feig's work, which develop their character arcs into something more complete and poignant, prevails as an gauge of Bridesmaids' lack.

Funny and Surprisingly Deep

Author: MaeAbdulbaki from United States
12 October 2011

This movie far exceeded my expectations. Not surprising, seeing as how I didn't have many. However, I did expect it to be another funny, stupid comedy with no real emotional depth. That's where I was wrong.

Besides being really funny, "Bridesmaids" had depth you rarely see in comedies. You laughed at what was happening and also often times felt with the characters. Whether it was lonely Annie, who'd given up on the world or Lillian, who probably thought everything leading up to her wedding was going to be perfect and wasn't, or even Helen who really just needed a friend. These women were three dimensional and the movie played that out very well.

The funny scenes were random, laugh out loud moments in the best sense. This movie was not at all over the top. No, it wasn't perfect. For example, the sex scene in the beginning went on for too long and was a little awkward to watch because of that. However, it didn't deter the rest of the movie. Not at all. Rose Byrne's character was someone you could easily hate and get annoyed of, yet by the end feel almost sorry for.

Kristen Wiig as Annie does a fantastic job carrying the movie and her funny moments, along with her more dramatic ones are excellent as well. Also, she co-wrote the movie! I see great things in her future.

Melissa McCarthy really brings the laughs in this one. Especially the scene on the plane with the fire marshal. Wonderful all around.

So, go ahead and give this movie a try. It'll probably be better than you expected! 9 out of 10 stars!