IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 37 of 49: [Prev][32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [Next]

Entertaining but hugely overrated

Author: pennylane10 from United States
23 January 2012

I'm seriously shocked by all the hype surrounding "Bridesmaids". I understand the Best Picture Musical/Comedy mention at the Golden Globes, because the competition there is always quite weak, but the nomination for Best Picture of the year at the PGA's? Sorry, but I don't get it. I didn't dislike the film at all, though. I thought it was a rather funny comedy with a good screenplay and better acting, hence the relatively high mark, but that's it!

I admit that the scene with the teenager at the jewelery store, Annie's breakdown at Lillian's bridal shower and the plane incident were hilarious. Kristen Wiig does a really good job and carries the whole film so well it's astonishing, considering her lack of experience as a leading lady. Rose Byrne and Melissa McCarthy are highlights as well. The latter, though, is receiving way too much praise in my opinion for her performance as Megan. She is definitely one of the best parts of the film, but I think her character is too one-dimensional to be getting that much attention.

There are a couple of things I didn't really like. First, the food- poisoning scene. I thought it was too much and not funny at all, actually. The other thing that didn't do it for me was the whole romantic storyline. I felt they gave it too much screen time and that the film could have easily got rid of it. I would have preferred if it had focused only in the relationships between the bridesmaids, which is the best thing about it.

Finally, I must dedicate a few words to Jon Hamm. How come he wasn't even credited? He was hilariously funny as Annie's "sexual partner". Sure his screen time is reduced, but he's a real scene-stealer!

Not everyones Bride(smaids)

Author: kosmasp
13 January 2012

This movie does divide people. It is very foul mouthed and it does not care if you like the language or the way the characters act in it. I do respect if people feel offended by it. Unfortunately that will cloud their view of the underlying themes in this. Just because it is crass and vulgar, it doesn't mean it's pointless.

Quite the opposite is the case. You have strong themes of friendship, envy and growing older to bare (well our characters have to bare those things). Not to mention the whole wedding thing, that is quite a big deal for every woman. I didn't enjoy every joke, but I liked the way women handled themselves in this. Our main character has an arch and you can clearly see her progress through the whole film (and all the jokes).

Again, if you are easily offended this is not for you. Don't expect it to be a female Hangover either. And then you might enjoy it too :o)

Very Disappointing (It's a Chick Flick!!!)

Author: Ant1590 from United States
6 January 2012

Having heard good things about Bridesmaids, I was really looking forward to watching this film. Boy was I let down! I actually turned off my TV half way through the movie. While this film does have its moments, the moments are only somewhat funny. On top of that, there is not one original joke. I now can relate to the many other bad reviews on this board.

On the flip side...wait...there really is no flip side. This is an average comedy at best. This may sound harsh, but I truly believe my third grade self could compete with the humor in this film. I also think that many people share this belief. In conclusion, if your looking for a gut busting comedy, keep on looking cause this film isn't one of them.

Three Things Save this Movie

Author: kdnor2011 from United States
4 January 2012

This movie isn't quite as overrated as Paul was, despite the fact that it got even better reviews. This movie has three things that saved it. 1. The way it made me actually care about Kristen Wigg's friendship with the bride. 2. The bridal shower scene. And 3. the most important one, the fat chick, Meghan, played by Melissa McCarthy. Good Lord was that chick hilarious. The scene where she just went screw it and began crapping in a sink almost had me in tears. Every time she was on screen, I had a smile on my face. I wish the same could be said for the rest of the film. This movie has very unfunny scenes, the stuff on the plane wasn't funny, the scene where Kristen Wigg and Rose Byrne are trying to get attention from the cop wasn't that funny (exept when the car rolled by and no one was seen in the car), and that scene where Kristen and Rose are trying to give the better speech, Oh my God, shut UP!!! That's another problem, this movie is way, way too long, this movie is about 2 hours and 5 minutes long, that's already pretty long for a comedy, but for me, it felt like five hours. Seriously, if a movie is 2 hours long and it fells like 5, something has gone horribly wrong.

Bridesmaids Swearing: The Ultimate Bridesmaids Flick

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
2 December 2011

I was under the impression that 'Bridesmaids' would be another ditzy rom-com, perhaps something on the lines of the ghastly 'Bridewars'. I had been avoiding it for some time until word of mouth got to me and I learned of its international ensemble that included many gifted comedy actors. It turned out to be quite a pleasant and refreshing surprise. It has the polished look of those typical New York rom-coms and even the romance and dramatic moments of that genre but what sets it apart is the dialogue and the crudeness which really gives it more of a touch of reality and it is done so amusingly. The humour is very dirty but the jokes work excellently. It's nice to see a comedy for a change with interesting and funny female characters swearing and cussing and make fools of themselves. All the actors perform confidently. Kristin Wiig (whose also the co-writer alongside Annie Mumolo) does an excellent job in carrying the film. She is wonderfully supported by the first rate Rose Byrne, competent Maya Rudolph, scene stealer Melissa McCarthy, laidback Chris O'Dowd, always dependable Jill Claybourgh (in her final role) and many more. The writers and actors ensure that there's plenty to laugh at and I found myself laughing out loud many times. I see that many have compared it to 'The Hangover' but in my opinion, 'Bridesmaids' is both funnier and cleverer.

Not the rude, mindless comedy I thought it was

Author: scifisuede from Indonesia
2 December 2011

I don't know why I thought that this film would be one of those dumb in-your-face explicit comedies that seem to be the trend lately. Maybe it was the title, which made me think it'd be about a bunch of drunken bridesmaids having sex left and right. Maybe it was because the person who recommended it hasn't had the best taste in films. Either way, I watched it with low expectation - and I was pleasantly surprised.

It's darker and deeper, with well-developed characters. All the bridesmaids have different backgrounds which result in their having different characteristics. The protagonist's character is well told and it's played really well by Kristen Wiig. We can sympathise with her 'going down the drain' life, even when she's being weird and crazy.

The main event of the film is of course the rivalry between our protagonist and her best friend's NEW best friend, which are funny at times and frustrating at others. There's a good mix of drama and comedy in the whole storyline, but as the consequence, there are some awkward moments there as well - some funny parts are not realistic enough compared to the more serious dramatic parts. But hey, that's how life is - sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry. It's still a refreshing comedy compared to what Hollywood is dishing out these days.

Don't Ask!

Author: stevesteinberg44
25 November 2011

So there are people who don't like this movie. There are people who don't like chopped liver. Does that make it right?

That's really the end of my review but I've got to do ten lines to get it in print so I have to tell you I don't spend a lot of time sitting around alone watching movies and laughing out loud but this one scores a 10 on that level alone.

One subteen kid saying to another of his mother in a doubles match that "Watching them play tennis is like watching a tampon commercial" may not be funny enough to be a true spoiler but for some reason from that point on I was out of control. I was told in advance that the movie was very funny but also a bit crude and it was the crude thing that attracted me. Crude it is, from top to bottom. Ebert's word raunchy is even better, but I'm sorry guys, crude, raunchy, and funny together has real class. Terry Southern, you would have loved this flick!

Here comes the "Bridesmaids", all dressed in just alright

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
25 November 2011

I am sorry to separate myself from most of the moviegoer audience, but I just did not feel the love of "Bridesmaids" and think it's the most overrated movie of the year. Now, don't get me wrong, I did not mind walking down the cinematic aisle with a viewing of "Bridesmaids". It did have its share of shits and giggles, especially the former in a most- talked about bridal dress shop scene. But the movie has been hailed as the top comedy of 2011 by many film critics, and I just don't think it deserves that ring of honor. "Bridesmaids" stars the always enigmatic Kristen Wiig as Annie, yea she is a bridesmaid and also the maid of honor of her best gal pal Lilian played by Maya Rudolph. Annie is intimidated by Lilian's new close friend Helen (Rose Byrne) who is an egocentric socialite who will stop at nothing to be Lilian's new best friend and dethrone Annie from that classification. Sounds like silly teenage girls battling for a "best friend" confirmation, doesn't it? Well, that is pretty much how it is in "Bridesmaids". Now, that is not what "Bridesmaids" is all about. There is the rest of Lilian's bridesmaids entourage- the bored housewife Rita (Wendi McClendon-Covey), the adventure-seeker Becca (Ellie Kemper), and the zany Megan (Melissa McCarthy). Director Paul Feig dresses up "Bridesmaids" with many aspects that have already been addressed in other chick-flick movies; the jealous friend, the villainous socialite, the crazy obese character, and the formulaic rom-com storyline. The primary romantic storyline in the movie is of Annie and police officer Nathan Rhodes. They are opposites that are destined to be together; and their boy-gets-girl, girl-loses- boy, girl-desperately tries to get boy again-in movie's final scene is a narrative feature that has been exposed way too many times in this genre. Sure, I am speaking now to forever hold this piece on what is awry of "Bridesmaids", but there was some positive uniformity in the film. Kirsten Wiig was very good as Annie, and the Annie protagonist is what made me want to hold on to "Bridesmaids" as much as I can. Wiig continues to get "wiiigy with it" as one of the best female comedic actresses in today's Hollywood. Chris O'Dowd no doubt was arrestingly charismatic as the witty-liner Officer Dowd. And it was very joyous, even though a bit heartbreaking, to see legendary actress Jill Clayburgh in her final performance as Annie's mom. Clayburgh passed away a few months ago. Wiig and Annie Mumolo scripted up the "Bridesmaids" screenplay with some funny lines, but not enough in the "laugh out loud" department. A lot has been talked about new comedy queen Melissa McCarthy's performance as the madcap Megan, now it was good but not to the level of a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination as it has been buzzed around. Megan sure did a bit of scene-stealing in "Bridesmaids" but I think it does have a bit of Alan-takeoff in them. You don't know what I am referring to, stream or Netflix "The Hangover" and "The Hangover Part 2", which it would be an exercise of futility because chances are you already saw them. Jon Hamm's performance as a womanizer who uses Annie for sex is one of the most pointless performances of the year, Hamm is a good actor and I don't want him to be a mad man towards me for my comments but his talents were wasted here. "Bridesmaids" is a recommendable feature, but there is not enough colorful-movie coordination for it to be proclaimed as a comedic classic. *** Average

Wiig Tries Hard, But This Is No "Baby Mama"

Author: evanston_dad from United States
25 November 2011

A moderately funny comedy that highlights the considerable talents of the under-utilized Kristen Wiig and makes you wish she had been given better material to work with.

When Wiig and her "Saturday Night Live" fellow alumna, Maya Rudolph, are on screen together, the chemistry is palpable and makes one wonder why someone didn't think to give these two a buddy comedy along the lines of "Baby Mama." But instead, Rudolph gets little screen time, and the show belongs to Wiig. Wiig is a very funny comedienne, but the character she gets to play wears out her welcome early on, long before the movie wants to let her learn the lesson all such formulaic comedies must have their main characters learn and rebound for that happy ending. Therefore, the crash and burn that Wiig's character endures becomes pathetic instead of funny, despite Wiig's frantic efforts to wring comedy out of situations that don't lend themselves much to laughs.

Still, the film is a diverting enough amusement for a Friday night, and there are enough laughs to make some of the more mediocre parts worth sitting through.

Grade: B

Lacklustre mildly amusing comedy

Author: ndesautels from London
19 November 2011

I really don't know why people liked this so much. When I saw the preview it didn't look that great but after all the hype and good reviews I figured I better give it a chance. I loved the Hangover and since I keep hearing that this film was the female version I was expecting some great adult humour.

This film is nothing like the Hangover! Just adding some jokes about shitting yourself does not make it a edgy. The lead character is extremely unlikable, and though she acts like a complete dick throughout the film towards her friend and love interest she never apologies and for some reason they end up apologizing to her.

The pacing was terrible, the film was way too long. The jokes were few and far between. The characters were very undeveloped and soulless. The whole thing was pretty pointless. I wouldn't recommend it.