IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Really Disappointed

Author: derlaine from United States
26 September 2011

Really disappointed in this movie. I loved Hangover, Superbad, The Office, Blades of Glory, etc, but this movie was not that funny.

The whole movie is about a loser character being jealous and petty about her best friend's wedding. Instead of being happy for her new life and doing everything she can to make her wedding wonderful, she spends the whole time being jealous that other girls are prettier, richer and throw better parties than her. She only warms up to her "rival" when the rival looks uglier than her. Wow, how shallow can you get?

To top it all off, the humor is not outstanding. There are about 2 good lines in the whole movie, and the slapstick is not outrageous enough that it's special.

It finally happened - a movie without any redeeming features whatsoever

Author: bas rutten from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
17 October 2011

I had not expected this movie to be one of the worst I saw this year. After all, it has a decent rating on IMDb, it's produced by Judd Apatow, and it was lauded as the "female hangover". What could go wrong here? As it turns out, pretty much everything. This movie managed to literally hit all, and I really mean all, the wrong buttons for me.

I guess that at least something could be said for the premise, which basically is combining a fart comedy with a romantic drama. Somehow, though, it manages to take the very worst aspects of a drama and the very worst part of a fart comedy.

First of all, save for one or two instances, the humor totally misses the mark. I think I smiled maybe twice during the entire two hour running time, which must be a new low on the jokes per minute scale. The jokes just don't work..the physical humor is just plain vulgar in a bad way, and the verbal humor, while probably supposed to be sharp, just comes across as pointless angry ranting. Also, just about every scene goes on for way too long, ruining any potential there might have been.

For a drama, it also fails badly. First of all, just about every character with the possible exception of the police officer love interest, is self-obsessed, unsympathetic, shallow and just plain boring. It's impossible to care about these characters as they go through the horribly overlong (the movie is slow to a fault, as well) motions and end up at the horribly predictable conclusion.

I suppose some will pass of this movie as "clever" or "original" but in the end it's just the same old romcom template which has been done hundreds of time before..only this time with no humor, no chemistry and a lot of poorly executed "serious" take on the subject.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Author: Thomas Evensson from Ljusdal, Sweden
19 November 2011

I could go on and on about this movie and how bad every aspect of it is. I won't, because others have covered it to perfection; the plot is beyond dumb, the actors are terrible and there's absolutely No. Humor. At. All. in this movie (unless you happen to laugh at girls farting, belching, throwing up). One-dimensional characters that lead lives that are so far from reality it's amazing. Take for instance Annie (Wiig) and her job at the jewelery store... I assume talking to the customers like she does is supposed to generate laughter. It doesn't, believe me.

Drop your tickets/rentals and take two steps back!

And yes, my wife hated it as well.

A waste of space, time and celluloid......

Author: psjill-1 from Australia
13 November 2011

To sum it up - this film is crass, unfunny, foul-mouthed (and I thought I was broad-minded!), poorly written drivel that masquerades as a comedy. There are a lot of American comedies that I find less than amusing nowadays and which seem to be focused on teenage boys and their bodily functions, but this female version really scrapes the bottom of the barrel. (Thank God for the Coen brothers! And for writers who understand that good comedy uses humour, subtlety, satire and wit rather than a sledgehammer to get a point across!) This film sets out to shock and that is, in fact, the only area in which it succeeds.

The women in it are (mostly) so awful that if you were a guy you'd choose to be gay, and as a woman you would choose to elope! A minute with this group of women is 60 seconds too long.

Not funny just painful - way overrated

Author: phd_travel from United States
24 October 2012

I don't understand the success of this generally unfunny painful and juvenile in a bad way comedy. To top it all of Melissa Mccarthy getting nominations for her acting is absurd. For that silly food poisoning thing too! The jokes are so lame and drawn out beyond it's proper length like the toast scene. I like Rose Byrne but the lines she had weren't funny at all.

I can understand there is a need for a ladies version of the Hangover type comedy but this one is just so badly written. Kristen Wiig isn't up to writing a feature length movie. The humor is not even SNL standard.

I can't be the only one who found this just disgusting.

Downright Awkward

Author: Mike Fennemore from Cherry Hill, New Jersey
24 April 2012

Marketed as a female version of " The Hangover," "Bridesmaids" is far in comparison. ON the one hand you have a movie about four friends who drink themselves into the most elaborate, dangerous, and hilarious situations; all while completely unaware of what is occurring. Then you have "Bridesmaids."

Where do we begin? From the beginning of the film you just feel bad for the main character. You watch her daily routine and social interactions like a fly in the wall and just feel... awkward. It's awkward, because you almost feel embarrassed for her. Kristen Wiig's character is bitter and unpleasant and never lends herself to be liked. Even when you feel bad for her, it's hard to sympathize because her problems stem off of her simply unlikable personality. She finds herself in awkward situations that are simply the result of her own bitterness.

Thefilm does lend itself to some isolated laughs, with several "caricature" characters that lighten up the awkward, distilled, feeling that is the rest of the film. THe most likable role is played by actor Chris O'Dowd, and you honestly feel bad for him. He's a genuinely nice guy who once again falls victim to the main character's bitter nature. The isolated comedy, comedic characters, and O'Dowd's character are the only things that saved this film from being completely terrible.

If you like "The Hangover" and "Wedding Crashers" do not expect the same out of "Bridesmaides."

Disgusted

Author: beefvonhaggard from United States
22 November 2011

This was just about the worst movie I ever had to watch, will induce mental illness and suicidal thoughts. Your eyes may become permanently rolled back. "A chick flick for dudes" no... its a long horrible waste of time. The story line and acting is an abomination. Kristen Wig not funny, Maya Rudolph dumb, Jessica St. Clair dumb, Melissa McCarthy obnoxious at best along with every other actor in this movie. clichés, douchebag clichés, lousiness, phoniness, crap acting, waste of money, crap script, crap directing. Can't imagine why iwright84 seems to enjoy this demoralizing horse turd so much? I personally wanted to commit self immolation during this movie. Ashamed I ever watched it.

Don't bother wasting your time.

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
23 September 2011

This movie was rubbish. I absolutely hated it, and since it was the last movie that I watched on the plane as I returned from Europe before I arrived home in Adelaide, so it was a rather disappointing end. Anyway, somebody told me that it was like the feminine version of 'The Hangover' and thus my expectations were that it would be a group of women getting up to all sorts of trouble in Las Vegas. However, that was not the case.

I am simply going to say that this is a chick flick with a few fart jokes thrown in to keep the guys amused. Now, I don't mind chick flicks, however they have to be of a very high quality. This movie is not. Basically it is the story of a woman (Annie) that goes through the movie feeling sorry for herself. She has a pointless job (her business had gone bankrupt), is not married (and the only guy that she sees is what one would call a friend with benefits), and basically has no money. However, her best friend (Lillian) is getting married, and she is introduced to her other friends, and suddenly decides that she must compete with another woman for Lillian's approval. However, it is clear that the other woman is not even trying and it is simply because Annie has a very low self esteem.

This movie begins with sex, and that is something that is going to put me off, and it is casual sex at that. Now, a clever movie would open (like this film) with grunts making people think of sex, and then it turns out to be something completely different. That is clever. This movie is far from clever (though that are a couple of amusing moments, though for a two hour long movie, it is a long time to wait for something funny to happen). I personally have no sympathy for the main character, though I guess this is the point of this film, that is for her to come to realise that she is the cause of all her problems.

However that is another American concept that I don't like (not to say that the Australians are any different) and that is that we are responsible for all our problems, and if our life is bad then it is our own fault. Okay, for those of us living in a middle class lifestyle, that may be the case, but it is not always. Take for instance the child born into a poor family in a poor neighbourhood who has no choice but to go to a school that is little more than a glorified day care centre, I would hardly say that this child's problems is entirely his/her fault. However that does not mean that we should not examine our own lives. As Plato once said 'the unexamined life is not worth living'.

This will be a classic!!!

Author: pipercat10 from Illinois
13 May 2011

I thought the acting was outstanding, the writing was superb - funniest movie I've seen in a long time. My husband and I both thought it was hilarious and both consider it a 10. The whole theater was laughing their @#&!&% off!!! There really wasn't a weak link in the acting and the movie never slowed down. It just kept going and going with the laughs. I guarantee this will be a classic for future brides, best friends, and all others that need a laugh. Melissa McCarthy was outstanding. Aside from Kristen Wiig, she made the movie. Everyone's role fit them perfectly and they didn't leave it with a weak ending. It was funny to the end.

this film sucks!!

Author: Peter P from Netherlands
28 July 2011

In my entire life I haven't been so much annoyed and irritated by a movie! Needless to say, my girlfriend and I walked out after 1 hour (the whole movie is about 2 hours long!) This movie is literally fart-poop-vomit ''comedy" with no plot, poor acting, and no point at all. After one hour (with constantly getting worse over time) this movie reached the point in which bridesmaids are vomiting in close shots all over the place and over each other in the fancy bridal shop!! What can I say? At that point I took it as an insult to the audience, who has been so shamefully cheated by the trailers and false marketing to buy the tickets for a ''romantic comedy". Instead, we got this disgusting and terrible movie which is a total waste of money and time and an insult to the common sense, after all. As another reviewer said: giving this movie 1 out of 10 can be considered generous!