IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 36 of 49: [Prev][31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [Next]

not bad but....

Author: deatman9 from Canada
22 November 2012

I was really reluctant to see this movie even after hearing positive things. Mainly because of the all female cast. Not that I have anything against women its just mainly because I knew they would be making jokes more centered around girls and likewise to the story line. This could have been hangover with women and been hilarious but they did what I knew they would and put in romance and touching moments and jokes mainly centered at women.

This movie is about a woman who has a friend who is going to get married and the friend asks her to be a bridemaid. They go to the wedding were craziness ensues.

This movie was alright and it did have a couple funny moments but this is not a movie for me thats for sure. I will not be giving this another watch and I really only recommend for women or if you have a girlfriend who wants to see it and you know it will close the deal.

Ordinary chick-flick with enough gross-out humor to keep guys in their seats

Author: jm10701 from United States
15 September 2012

Bridesmaids was a huge hit with both critics and audiences because it successfully combined what women think is funny with what men think is funny.

Women think relationships are funny, whether the relationships are with men, other women, children, pets, cars, jobs (more or less in that order) ... with anything, in other words, as long as the humor gently points out how exasperating but challenging and potentially rewarding it is to try to relate to other creatures, animate or inanimate. In sharp contrast, men don't think anything is funny except doing in public what normal people do only alone in the bathroom with the door locked. Bridesmaids' considerable achievement is combining those two seemingly incompatible elements seamlessly into one coherent movie.

As a gay man, I most enjoyed the relationship humor, but as a man, I laughed out loud (and I really couldn't help it, because I tried) ONLY at the scene where all the women suffer food poisoning in the high-class, by-appointment-only, white-carpeted bridal shop - especially Melissa McCarthy perched on the sink.

I think I can safely say that every single male human being who saw this movie laughed out loud at that scene; and many of the straight men afterward congratulated themselves, astonished that they were able to enjoy a chick-flick. That's because THIS otherwise ordinary chick-flick was peppered with enough guy gross-out humor to keep them from fidgeting, but not with so much that it turned women off. It's still 80% orthodox chick-flick, but 20% farting, vomiting and explosive diarrhea is enough to keep most men satisfied.

Not the movie that I was expecting

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
23 March 2012

The way that this movie was marketed and hyped up about I thought I was going to see the female version of The Hangover, which it's not even close to being. There's a few comedic points of the movie but for the most part it's a typical sappy love story. The movie wasn't bad mind you just not what I was hoping to get out of the movie going experience. They call the movie Bridesmaids but it ought as well have been titled The Bridesmaid since the whole movie is basically about Kristen Wiig's character Annie. The Helen character and the bride Lilly get a bit of time too but the other 2 bridesmaids are basically after thoughts. Like I said it wasn't a bad movie but at the same time I don't think it deserved the Best Picture nomination.

Good Times

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
5 March 2012

I wasn't interested in this movie even though it was being billed as the female version of "The Hangover". I liked The Hangover, but the trailers just didn't make me want to watch this movie. I'm not prejudicial when it comes to chick flicks and I do watch them with an open mind, but most comedies which are female-oriented tend to be on the boring side in my honest opinion as a guy. After it surprisingly got nominated for 2 Oscars, I had to watch "Bridesmaids". To be frank, I have watched only 4 movies out of all the Oscar nominated movies including all the technical categories as well. But I saw this movie due to the fact that Oscars don't nominate comedies for Best Picture, EVER! The closest was "(500) Days of Summer" which I absolutely love to pieces. So my expectations for "Bridesmaids" was pretty high.

Annie Walker (Kristen Wiig) had to let go of her passion, the bakery because of the bad economy. She sleeps around with a guy who doesn't respect her, barely makes her payments, her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is getting married to a rich guy and the race for maid of honor is on with Helen (Rose Byrne), the new bestie who seems to be perfect for the job in every aspect, which culminates in Annie screwing up everything that comes along her way.

First things first! The movie is highly overrated and didn't deserve its Best Picture nomination. "Crazy, Stupid, Love" is THE best comedy of 2011 and if any comedy had a right to be nominated for the Oscars, it was that amazing movie. Don't misunderstand me, I liked "Bridesmaids" and while I did enjoy it and laugh in many scenes, it plays it too safe. Secondly, I get that the movie is trying to send the message across to all of us guys that women aren't sex objects and we shouldn't objectify them. But the toilet humor was over the top and I always hate such cheap stuff. My real gripe is with the lead, Kristen Wiig. I love her in her SNL sketches, but I really didn't enjoy her character much in the movie. Annie was pathetic, unlikable and not even remotely funny most of the time! Which, in hindsight, was the way they wanted her character to go and so Wiig succeeded in that regard. Anyway, I didn't like nor care for her character one bit.

This movie has lots of stuff going for it though. Melissa McCarthy deserved her nomination as she was the one who got the most laughs and was perfect in her role. Her character could have come of as atrociously cheesy, but thankfully it doesn't. I don't think any female character has ever made me laugh so hard as much as Melissa's Megan did. The ensemble cast which involves the weird siblings, a little boy, the police officer, the bridesmaids themselves and others are fluid and really enjoyable. Girls will really like this movie, my friend was laughing like a maniac. All in all, this is one of the better comedies of the year and you should watch it, but don't expect it to blow your mind.

Amazingly Funny..

Author: zebrassave from United States
2 March 2012

The only words to describe this comedy are COMEDY. Hilarious acting done by the whole cast, especially by Melissa McCarthy. Complete immersed in such dry humor you simple forget that there's a genuine story being told. Teaching people morals and other values, the plot was simple, creative and genuine. It was rare to see a scene that was "boring" or "dull". Every moment had a reason and served purpose. After witnessing this movie, I have no regrets, all star cast made it what it was and really forced the lines to come alive and make the whole family laugh out loud! The funniest scene HAD to have been when all of the bridesmaids had food poisoning and were trying on dress's together. All of the actresses put their best humor to the test and really came through. Watching the bride run out to the street in order to poop was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Loved it!

Author: nep983 from United States
29 February 2012

I have to say I loved this movie and thought it was pretty funny and definitely deserved those two Oscar nominations. And I have to say Melissa McCarthy is just hilarious.

Basically the movie is about someones best friend getting married and all that stuff but still it's worth checking out. The cast is also pretty funny too

Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo deliver a funny script as well. I also think this movie isn't overrated either. 7/10 See it! or go rent it at least. What this movie doesn't need is a sequel that will ruin everything.

One word; hysterical!

Author: Siobhan Miller from United Kingdom
2 February 2012

I must admit whenever i first saw the advertisement for Bridesmaids, i was not overly enthusiastic about seeing it. I thought it was going to be yet another chick flick surrounding romance and weddings. But boy was i wrong. This is much more than just any chick flick, in fact its that hilarious my sides were splitting with laughter at times.

Bridesmaids is a fairly simple movie, which centres around Annie, the girl who has recently been unlucky in life. Her best friend is getting married and she is finding the role of maid of honour and all the planning which surrounds it overwhelmimg. Of course the path of true love does not run smoothly, therefore comedy ensues.

Without being too forthright, Bridemaids is a filthy, vulgar, over the top comedic experience, that attempts to affect your limits of compassion, just as much as the extent of hilarity. The stand out scenes for me where that in the bridal store and also the girls flight on an aeroplane for the batchelorette party. These scenes in particular, had the uncomfortable comedy effect, where you don't really want to watch, but at the same time, can't help yourself from watching.

Bridesmaids had a surprising amount of depth to it, which was something I didn't expect. The narrative takes time to develop its characters and also establishes the various relationships and conflicts that the women have. The themes that are explored within this film, are nothing out of the ordinary but certainly ones that an audience can relate to easily. And even though comedy is one the main elements throughout, there are also some very heartfelt moments.

Annie is most developed character in the narrative. She is someone who feels completely let down by life, with having one thing after the other happening and not in a very good way. This is something that I'm sure the majority of people can also relate to. Not only do you witness the personal journey her character goes through, but you can also feel it. Despite the fact that the other bridesmaids were not developed as much as Annie, they certainly hold their place within the film, each in their own individual and unique way.

I do believe though that the length of the film should have been cut down slightly more. At times there are way too many subplots going on, which where not even fully explored, and arguably yes it goes too over the top at times. But with everything else in the film being so entertaining, these are only minor criticisms.

Bridesmaids is definitely one of the most enjoyable comedies I have seen in a while. It has all the heart and charm of a romcom, but is not afraid of pulling out all the stops, just because the leading cast are female. It may not be perfect, but it is a perfect catalyst to have for a girls night in.

Bridesmaids

Author: lasttimeisaw from China
31 January 2012

As raunchy as any female flick could bear, BRIDESMAIDS is not just a female version of THE HANGOVER spin-off. It hinges firmly on a 3S lady's (single, seventies and stuck) personal mire, and elaborates a watchable diagram of friendship and, eventually a tad of love.

The film manages a tug-of-war competition between our protagonist Annie Walker as her childhood BFF Lillian's maid of honor and an almost immaculate bridesmaid Helen (a new friend of Lillian) to the coronet of the best friend of the bride, the battle is inequitably brutal since Helen's filthy rich and such a phony, thus soon it plummets into a steep plight for Annie. However a fairly anticipated buck-up is congenially under the way, so no more melodrama and a woman's victory is all well-deserved.

The film is a tailor-made vehicle for Kristine Wiig (who co-writes the script) and her comedic bent has grabbed the best platform to bloom and it is an awesome job! The hysterical turmoil of her life is surprisingly conceived with humor and self-mockery. Among the sidekicks Melissa McCathy is another feat on screen, her embodiment of life with her own weight is the best part in the film and expunges extensively the side effect of a hackneyed plot contrivance. Also Wiig's Saturday NIGHT LIVE co-star Maya Rudolph and an inscrutably dulcet Rose Byrne are adeptly cast. The great news is that the film has become the highest grossing R-rated female comedy of all time in USA, while a sad thing is that it is Jill Clayburgh's final film.

It is also another triumph for the producer Judd Apatow (after the tepid welcome of FUNNY PEOPLE 2009), he is still able to pioneer the red-hot craze for the modern-day comedy and be innovative, I hope BRIDESMAIDS 2 will not be a disheartening cool-down as THE HANGOVER PART II (2011) did.

Entertaining but hugely overrated

Author: pennylane10 from United States
23 January 2012

I'm seriously shocked by all the hype surrounding "Bridesmaids". I understand the Best Picture Musical/Comedy mention at the Golden Globes, because the competition there is always quite weak, but the nomination for Best Picture of the year at the PGA's? Sorry, but I don't get it. I didn't dislike the film at all, though. I thought it was a rather funny comedy with a good screenplay and better acting, hence the relatively high mark, but that's it!

I admit that the scene with the teenager at the jewelery store, Annie's breakdown at Lillian's bridal shower and the plane incident were hilarious. Kristen Wiig does a really good job and carries the whole film so well it's astonishing, considering her lack of experience as a leading lady. Rose Byrne and Melissa McCarthy are highlights as well. The latter, though, is receiving way too much praise in my opinion for her performance as Megan. She is definitely one of the best parts of the film, but I think her character is too one-dimensional to be getting that much attention.

There are a couple of things I didn't really like. First, the food- poisoning scene. I thought it was too much and not funny at all, actually. The other thing that didn't do it for me was the whole romantic storyline. I felt they gave it too much screen time and that the film could have easily got rid of it. I would have preferred if it had focused only in the relationships between the bridesmaids, which is the best thing about it.

Finally, I must dedicate a few words to Jon Hamm. How come he wasn't even credited? He was hilariously funny as Annie's "sexual partner". Sure his screen time is reduced, but he's a real scene-stealer!

Not everyones Bride(smaids)

Author: kosmasp
13 January 2012

This movie does divide people. It is very foul mouthed and it does not care if you like the language or the way the characters act in it. I do respect if people feel offended by it. Unfortunately that will cloud their view of the underlying themes in this. Just because it is crass and vulgar, it doesn't mean it's pointless.

Quite the opposite is the case. You have strong themes of friendship, envy and growing older to bare (well our characters have to bare those things). Not to mention the whole wedding thing, that is quite a big deal for every woman. I didn't enjoy every joke, but I liked the way women handled themselves in this. Our main character has an arch and you can clearly see her progress through the whole film (and all the jokes).

Again, if you are easily offended this is not for you. Don't expect it to be a female Hangover either. And then you might enjoy it too :o)