IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 36 of 50: [Prev][31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [Next]

A leap forward

Author: jdesando from United States
12 May 2011

"Bridesmaids are like matrimonial interns." Conversations with other Women (2005)

Is Bridesmaids a Hangover for chicks? In a small way, yes, but Bridesmaids is better, even in the scatological scene where a dress fitting turns into a hilarious disaster as the girls head for the nearest head. I remember a cruder attempt at fundament fun in Hangover.

It's all about best friends Annie (Kristen Whig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph) preparing for Lillian's wedding with Annie as a maid of honor who is clueless about arranging a wedding. The conflict arises when another maiden challenges her for best-friend status and maid of honor honors.

Bridesmaids has its share of stereotypes: cute but amorously lost Annie (Kristin Wiig), plain but lovable affianced Lillian (Maya Rudolph), fat and randy Megan (Melissa McCarthy), perfectly pretty, wealthy snob Helen (Rose Byrne), et al. Yet amidst these types we've seen before is a story of loss and redemption not so heavily attended to in other Judd-Apatow produced romcoms.

Director Paul Feig lets the pathos in when the comedy needs a rest, and writers Wiig and Annie Mumolo infuse the dialogue with an unusual intelligence. Unfortunately the off-beat wit ends as the film sags midway with Annie's emotional and amorous problems struggling with jealousy over Helen's high-end bridal arrangements and combat with selfish lover Ted (Jon Hamm) and blue collar cop Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd).

The film revives when the requisite going-to-Vegas breakout happens even before the girls get there—on the plane in some set pieces about drugs and booze and flight attendants that sure beat Snakes on a Plane and Airport for a smart mix of slapstick and satire.

Bridesmaids is a leap forward for intelligent comedy where characters overcome stereotypes to be memorable and insightful about the challenges 30-something women face in a society where their voices are more frequently heard above the din of dim-witted boy men.

But the best was at the beginning when the girls are overcome with bad food that poisons their dress fitting and provides the best potty shenanigans ever, spilling over, so to speak, into sink and street.

Great Movie

Author: louise-hearty from Canada
21 April 2011

What a great movie. I laughed so hard. I went to the screening last night, so I saw the uncut, unrated version. The theatre was packed and everyone from the theatre, talking after the movie in the lobby all seemed to love it and be laughing so hard retelling parts of the story. So many funny parts. My friend liked the story, but didn't like some of the crude parts. The 2 hours flew by - you know that's a great movie. The acting was great and there were some surprise band appearances. While some of the actions were a bit on the dramatic side, they were still extremely funny. Great acting by everyone in the movie. Gotta love the airplane scene. I was retelling the scene at work today and everyone was laughing just hearing about it. I think this movie will go far and it's one I want to watch again, right now!

One for the girls!

Author: elby_monkey from United Kingdom
5 April 2011

Saw this film yesterday at a preview screening, and enjoyed it. Most of the girls in the screening loved it, whereas the one man was saying at the end, "I didn't get it!"... I guess I was somewhere in the middle of the two opinions.

I was hoping for more sass from Rose Byrne. And less vom-com from Sukie From Gilmore Girls. The comedy is a blend of well-timed mutterings and over the top cringe moments, but overall Wiig does well, and has great Meg Ryan-esque hair.

As I walked away from the film, what stayed with me most wasn't the comedy, but an overwhelming desire to call some old girlfriends I hadn't spoken to enough recently. Its a great portrayal of female friendship, and its difficulties (we've all been there in one way or another), topped by the very genuine-seeming moments of in-jokes between Wiig and Rudolph. They were definitely the best moments.

Awful

Author: Kristen Kallahan from Seattle WA USA
13 May 2011

And this movie was aimed at me -- I'm a woman and I'm into comedy. I expected to have a good time. I didn't. It just never got funny. A lot of "almost funny" scenes. A few chuckles. But we deserve better than that.

A great cast wasted. The heroine is unlikeable. I don't understand how you write a script for yourself and make yourself unlikeable from every aspect.

Her big "blow-up" scene (intended to be hilarious) just makes you cringe. Shut up and be gracious for your friend, the bride's, sake. Don't make it all about you.

The only actor who got good laughs from the audience was Melissa McCarthy ("Mike & Molly").

But her character is another head-scratcher. She seems to be a butch lesbian. Yet lusts after men. So many things just didn't make sense about this movie. And you get distracted thinking "Why does the Wisconsin highway patrol officer have a British accent?" "Is that rich lady a bitch or not?" "Why is that lesbian coming onto that man?" "Just what is the main character's problem? Is she mentally ill?" None of this is helpful to a comedy.

Acceptable chick flick

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
20 September 2013

I remember very well that this was one of the big movies from the summer of 2011, often being announced as the double X chromosome version of "The Hangover". The fact that it took me over two years to finally watch it makes it obvious I didn't have the greatest interest in seeing it despite the positive reception and awards recognition it was acknowledged with. All in all, it was pretty much what I expected: a decent romcom that definitely overachieved, however.

The very first scene makes the course of the film pretty clear. We hear a couple laughing and moaning as the camera slowly moves closer to them. The initial reaction would be. Oh that's too obvious. Probably gonna fool the viewer in how they're like playing some board-game or actually building some furniture. But nope, it was what it looked like. The film progresses and mostly focuses on Kristen Wiig's character's interactions with the men in her life, her best friend and a new competitor for her best friend's affection. It's all pretty predictable, yet here and there they managed to get a laugh out of me. It's frequently vulgar, casually gross, occasionally funny and rarely gooey. Fans of the TV series Mad Men will enjoy seeing a 21st century version of Don Draper and he hasn't really changed much. Another highlight was Emmy winner Melissa McCarthy's performance who delivered the comedic highlights. I'm not sure if her effort justified the Academy Award nomination, but I'd say she was more deserving than the screenplay.

With easily passing the two-hour-mark, this film runs pretty long for a comedy. I never felt that it dragged though. Admittedly it didn't fly by either. It's a solid effort all in all and I'd recommend it, although I'm fairly certain I'm not interested in a rewatch anytime soon. There's a whole lot of comedies on this level every year. It's a film where you can sit back, relax and suck it in you without really having to think that much and that's not necessarily a negative thing. Somethimes it's exactly what I need. The predominantly female cast makes it probably a decent choice for an all-girls DVD-night or for whenever one of your friends or family has a wedding coming up.

Better than I thought it was going to be.

Author: richieandsam
18 August 2013

BRIDESMAIDS

This was actually better than I was expecting. I was thinking it was just going to be another romantic comedy that is only slightly funny... well, it was quite funny.

The story is about a woman who is getting married, and when she gets her best friend to be maid of honour, one of her bridesmaids decides to try and outdo her and steal her best friend away from her. It then turns into a competition between these 2 women.

The comedy is actually quite funny. There were a few moments that made me laugh out loud. The relationship between these women worked really well. All the cast gelled well and worked well together. The movie stars Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Chris O'Dowd & Jill Clayburgh. It was also good to see a couple of maneos in there. Matt Lucas and Terry Crews popped up in there.

There were a few moments that were really gross... but they were really funny. The language used as well felt like it was there for shock value, and that was not really necessary.

All in all, I enjoyed it. It was far better than expected and it is not as romantic as it sounds like. It really is just about these women trying to get along.

I will give this film 7 out of 10.

"This is so awkward. I really want you to leave, but I don't know how to say it without sounding like a d*ck."

For more reviews, please like my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl

Okay, but my expectations weren't low enough...

Author: fawn_jane from United States
2 August 2013

I expected this movie to be just another mediocre comedy with a few laughs here and there. Instead I found the movie to be fundamentally flawed and unenjoyable:

- The main character is an unlikable loser who is selfish, mean- spirited, petty and jealous. She has no apparent goals or aspirations, nothing to help the viewer feel sympathy or like her or find her interesting.

- Too much of the humor relies on embarrassing and gross bodily functions.

- Another portion of the humor just relies on characters over-sharing and making others uncomfortable with their whiny self-pity. This is not from the movie but to give you an idea of what I mean: imagine a scene where one woman says to another "I'm having problems with my husband, he doesn't want to have sex with me anymore so I bought 5 vibrators! (blah blah etc.)" Other person looks uncomfortable and stays quiet. The movie has several exchanges like that between characters and that is supposed to be funny or cute? It's just... not. Humor should be about presenting the audience with some novel unexpected arrangement of ideas or experiences, not rely entirely on making them wince and feel uncomfortable.

- Lacking plot and character development; The whole plot revolves around being a bridesmaid. Eventually the main character supposedly "learns" that she has take responsibility for the problems in her life. But the things that happen in the movie don't seem to show the process of her learning anything, instead it is just her being a trainwreck and wallowing in misery. At the end there is nothing tangible or demonstrable to show that she has grown at all.

On the plus side: somehow it wasn't that bad. As much as there is to criticize, it's worth watching once. There are some funny moments, situations that make you think, some scenes that are poignant and have heart.

Good Film though Not That Funny!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
7 February 2013

I never thought I would actually like Paul Feig's Bridesmaids. Everyone was calling this the Hangover for women. I thought it would not fit my taste, but I gave this film a shot anyway. It is actually a pretty good film but not as funny as I hoped. I'm rating this film high because despite the marketing of this film as a comedy, I was touched by all those dramatic scenes.

This film is about the ups and downs of a friendship between two best friends as one of these friends is about to get married and the other friend is Maid of Honor.

I must say Melissa McCarthy stole the show. I never really heard if her until this movie came out. I know some people despise her because of her gross-out humor, but I thought she made the comedy in this film. Kristin Wiig also gave herself a good name as she played her character very well. She had a very sad character which surprised me as I thought she would have me cracking up.

Overall, this is a funny and touching film. This film surpassed my expectations by a lot. I was kind of disappointed that this two-hour long film didn't get much laughs as advertised, but I loved the drama so that's good. I rate this film 8/10.

not bad but....

Author: deatman9 from Canada
22 November 2012

I was really reluctant to see this movie even after hearing positive things. Mainly because of the all female cast. Not that I have anything against women its just mainly because I knew they would be making jokes more centered around girls and likewise to the story line. This could have been hangover with women and been hilarious but they did what I knew they would and put in romance and touching moments and jokes mainly centered at women.

This movie is about a woman who has a friend who is going to get married and the friend asks her to be a bridemaid. They go to the wedding were craziness ensues.

This movie was alright and it did have a couple funny moments but this is not a movie for me thats for sure. I will not be giving this another watch and I really only recommend for women or if you have a girlfriend who wants to see it and you know it will close the deal.

Ordinary chick-flick with enough gross-out humor to keep guys in their seats

Author: jm10701 from United States
15 September 2012

Bridesmaids was a huge hit with both critics and audiences because it successfully combined what women think is funny with what men think is funny.

Women think relationships are funny, whether the relationships are with men, other women, children, pets, cars, jobs (more or less in that order) ... with anything, in other words, as long as the humor gently points out how exasperating but challenging and potentially rewarding it is to try to relate to other creatures, animate or inanimate. In sharp contrast, men don't think anything is funny except doing in public what normal people do only alone in the bathroom with the door locked. Bridesmaids' considerable achievement is combining those two seemingly incompatible elements seamlessly into one coherent movie.

As a gay man, I most enjoyed the relationship humor, but as a man, I laughed out loud (and I really couldn't help it, because I tried) ONLY at the scene where all the women suffer food poisoning in the high-class, by-appointment-only, white-carpeted bridal shop - especially Melissa McCarthy perched on the sink.

I think I can safely say that every single male human being who saw this movie laughed out loud at that scene; and many of the straight men afterward congratulated themselves, astonished that they were able to enjoy a chick-flick. That's because THIS otherwise ordinary chick-flick was peppered with enough guy gross-out humor to keep them from fidgeting, but not with so much that it turned women off. It's still 80% orthodox chick-flick, but 20% farting, vomiting and explosive diarrhea is enough to keep most men satisfied.