IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 47: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The ladies try to get a hangover, but fall short

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
15 May 2011

While trying to walk the tightrope between raucous comedy and tender love story, "Bridesmaids" presents an almost exasperating movie-going experience.

Directed by Paul Feig (veteran helmer of several episodes of "The Office," "30 Rock" and "Nurse Jackie" television series) and written by SNL alum Kristen Wiig - who also stars - the film tries to be the distaff version of "The Hangover," but substitutes that picture's hilarious stupidity with a schmaltzy romcom theme.

Plot has lifelong best friends Annie (Wiig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph, SNL) planning Lillian's wedding to a dullard. Chosen as the maid of honor, Annie - whose personal and professional life is already in shambles - completely falls apart under the stress.

Her situation is not helped by the presence of Helen (Rose Byrne, "28 Weeks Later," "Get Him To the Greek"), a rich snob who is trying to become Lillian's new BFF. Add to this an eclectic collection of bridesmaids, including Becca (Ellie Kemper, "The Office"), Rita (Wendy McLendon-Covey, "Reno: 911") and Megan (Melissa McCarthy, "The Backup Plan," "Mike and Molly" TV series) and the cast is set for some really funny situations.

The problem is, however, comedus interruptus. Just when we're on the brink of some gut-splitting laughs, the film veers off into unnecessary serious moments. The biggest of which involves a supposed trip to Las Vegas that - literally - goes nowhere. It would have been a great opportunity to have the girls let it all hang out, but all we get is some lame projectile vomit scenes and an explosive diarrhea sequence.

Meanwhile, the constantly beat-down Annie's (Annette Benning in "Running With Scissors" only WISHED she could be this depressing) life is spiraling out of control. She loses her job, is treated like dirt by her love interest (Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"), gets kicked out of her own apartment (by a pair of slobby Australian roommates) and is forced to live with her mother (the late Jill Clayburg).

She does meet a sweet Irish cop, Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd, "Gulliver's Travels," "Dinner For Schmucks"), though, but, of course, she tries to poison that relationship, as well. In fact, Wiig is all over the map here and seems to be trying to play every inmate character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Plus, she's not really very funny, despite being on screen over 90 percent of the time.

The only humorous character is Megan and that's probably because she plays a plus-size semi-lesbian nympho truck driver type. Annie, on the other hand, despite the movie's attempt to justify her violent mood swings, is still someone few people in real life would even want to get close to.

Certainly not the worst film for the "Girls Go Crazy" genre - it's light years ahead of the "Sex and the City" franchise, for example - but needs to focus on just what kind of movie it really wants to be.

At least after 20 years, however, Wilson Phillips still looks and sounds great

I Love Kristen Wiig!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
17 May 2011

Kristen Wiig is the only reason I wanted to see this movie, and she is insanely hilarious! (She'll go down in history with Lucille Ball and Gilda Radner) Of course, it had more great actresses such as Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendi McLendon-Covey. There were a lot of hilarious and disgustingly awesome jokes. Wiig plays Annie, best friend to Lillian who is about to get married. Annie is asked to be the Maid of Honor and becomes jealous of Lillian's new rich friend, Helen. Throughout the movie, Annie slowly goes crazy and constantly competes against Helen. If you want a good decent comedy, you'll love BRIDESMAIDS!!!

Disgusted

Author: beefvonhaggard from United States
22 November 2011

This was just about the worst movie I ever had to watch, will induce mental illness and suicidal thoughts. Your eyes may become permanently rolled back. "A chick flick for dudes" no... its a long horrible waste of time. The story line and acting is an abomination. Kristen Wig not funny, Maya Rudolph dumb, Jessica St. Clair dumb, Melissa McCarthy obnoxious at best along with every other actor in this movie. clichés, douchebag clichés, lousiness, phoniness, crap acting, waste of money, crap script, crap directing. Can't imagine why iwright84 seems to enjoy this demoralizing horse turd so much? I personally wanted to commit self immolation during this movie. Ashamed I ever watched it.

A waste of space, time and celluloid......

Author: psjill-1 from Australia
13 November 2011

To sum it up - this film is crass, unfunny, foul-mouthed (and I thought I was broad-minded!), poorly written drivel that masquerades as a comedy. There are a lot of American comedies that I find less than amusing nowadays and which seem to be focused on teenage boys and their bodily functions, but this female version really scrapes the bottom of the barrel. (Thank God for the Coen brothers! And for writers who understand that good comedy uses humour, subtlety, satire and wit rather than a sledgehammer to get a point across!) This film sets out to shock and that is, in fact, the only area in which it succeeds.

The women in it are (mostly) so awful that if you were a guy you'd choose to be gay, and as a woman you would choose to elope! A minute with this group of women is 60 seconds too long.

A somewhat tender film that pushes the boundaries of comedy

Author: chrismsawin from United States
13 May 2011

I'm not the biggest Judd Apatow fan, but I do consider his films entertaining. A good majority of the films produced under the Apatow Productions moniker are more than a little amusing, as well. In fact, I'm partial to both Anchorman and Pineapple Express. Despite Apatow's involvement with the film, Bridesmaids didn't really interest me all that much in concept. Another R-rated comedy revolving around a wedding with a mostly female cast? Who cares? The underestimation on my part probably helped the film more than anything as Bridesmaids turned out to be an adult comedy with a little more meat on its bones than the trailers perhaps lead you to believe.

While the film is both filthy and raunchy at times, the foundation of Bridesmaids lies within the relationship between Annie and Lillian. Their chemistry along with the way they both screw up their lives when they're away from one another is the heart and soul of the film. Lillian's marriage falling apart is kind of a given just with how eccentric each character in the main cast is, but Annie's depression, downward spiral, and inability to drive herself forward rather than continuously pushing herself back is key to giving the film an emotional kick that isn't even hinted at in the trailers. Melissa McCarthy steals nearly every scene that she's in thanks to her outrageous antics and incredibly high self esteem. Nearly every one of the bridesmaids gets a good laugh at some point in the film even if a few of them (Reno! 911's Wendi McLendon-Covey and The Office's Ellie Kemper) don't get as much screen time as others.

Bridesmaids almost felt like it was stronger during its more dramatic and softhearted sequences in comparison to the overall comedic atmosphere of the rest of the film, which is weird since it is absolutely a comedy. While the obscene and sometimes scatological jokes used in the film were mostly original in execution and chuckle-worthy at times, it somehow all just felt very familiar to me. The Brazilian food that gave them all food poisoning felt like it borrowed heavily from Dumb & Dumber, the Wilson Phillips joke was funnier in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, while most of the scenes on the airplane seemed to offer a female version of a scene straight out of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with more profanity. Then there's the film itself which was like Wedding Crashers if seen through the eyes of the women in the actual wedding. I guess on one hand, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. All of those comedies are rather exceptional while at least two of them would be considered classics, but that sense of familiarity was still there like Déjà vu sneaking up behind you and trying to tickle you while spewing a constant string of F-bombs.

Bridesmaids is a dirty, vulgar, over the top comedy that attempts to affect your limits of compassion just as much as the extent of your hilarity. While some of the gross-out humor came off as a little much at times, Kristen Wiig is able to prove just how talented she really is. It is at least able to offer an R-rated comedy that both sexes will enjoy, which is more that can be said for most PG-13 romantic comedies. Bridesmaids is an entertaining stumble into borderline comedic genius that will keep people talking about it long after it's relevant.

Trite Drama Saps Comedy

Author: Andrew Judkins from United States
19 September 2012

Bridesmaids is a great example of how words have lost their meaning in how we describe and interpret our films these days. This film is described as a comedy, but, only perhaps a third of the films is even meant to be humorous. That's probably generous. This isn't just false advertising to the alert movie-goer. It is a sort of self lie that the makers of this film are telling themselves without even knowing it.

Here's what I mean: If only a third of this film is funny, than what is the rest? The rest is light and very shallow drama about a woman who is down on her luck, but also fond of wallowing in her problems. Not the best comedy wellspring. A small part of that is romantic in nature— we see this woman, Annie is her name, be used as a third romantic option by a shallow, rich jerk played by Jon Hamm (as though he just ran on set for a day to do it between projects) and an underdeveloped and unrealistic positive relationship develops between Annie and a European sounding Wisconsin State Trooper. The end result is a minority of scenes devoted to comedy. But the problem is deeper because the film is working so many angles—romantic comedy elements with Annie's relationships, straight romance with her State Trooper love interest, a story about female jealousy, female friendship and wedding procedure as well as an almost non existent attempt to show us a bit of all the bridesmaids (who have almost never even heard of each other for some reason). All this, plus Annie's life falls apart to a pathetic and perhaps gratuitous extent, only to rise in the last five minutes like a phoenix. It is too much—in two senses. One, it makes the film too long. Two hours and fifteen minutes is a long film to endure if it isn't inspired. This film isn't. Lauded as a female response to the male oriented Judd Apatow type comedies of our age, this film is simply that formula with more mope and competitive insecurity. If you like Apatow you'll find this film middling. If you think comedy should be moving beyond that type of film now, you'll be disappointed.

The second way this film is too much is that it stretches the writers and actors too far. The dramatic moments feel contrived, shallow, and generic, yet the comedy is not developed nearly enough. Few jokes are innovative or risky in any way. The performances are dull except Melissa McCarthy, who amazingly scores as the only funny and only touching actor in the whole film. In this sense, despite limited screen time, this is her movie.

I think the headline here is opportunity lost. A comedy with mostly female characters from a female perspective is a good idea. Some of the actors have good comedy ability, used here in the wrong way or not enough. Kristen Wiig may have a good comedy lead in her, but this isn't quite it, Melissa McCarthy needs more screen time to stretch out her talents, and Tim Heidecker (who plays a cameo as the groom) should be allowed to at least take a swing at some jokes. His type of comedy riffing is what American comedy needs more of. It seems symbolic that he played a role that allowed him no chance to add to the undernourished comedy.

Not as good as all the hype.

Author: Gracie96 from United States
15 May 2012

I guess I was supposed to have some sort of sympathy for the main character, Annie Walker, but I didn't find her sympathetic or likable. More of a loser who doesn't have her act together--you know, one of those people who just can't ever get it right and probably never will. The scene at the engagement party where Annie and another bridesmaid try to outdo each other with memories of their relationship with Lillian went on way too long. I almost turned off the movie at that point, but I continued to watch it and kept hoping it would get better. It never did. Even Melissa McCarthy's role was a bit much, although she was just about the only good part in the movie.

Really? This film made how much money?

Author: pensman from United States
2 January 2012

I certainly waited for this film to come out on DVD and that was the right decision. This film seems split between wanting to be a comedy (the only scene that actually made my wife laugh out loud was the bit where the bridesmaids were trying on gowns and got an attack of food poisoning) and a coming of age drama as we wait to see how long it will take Annie Walker (Kristin Wiig) to become an adult. It was OK as a DVD flic but who would pay eight bucks for a ticket? And the cast listing on the IMDb seems odd. Chris O'Dowd who has a pretty pivotal role gets short shrift in billing while Terry Crews whose 60 seconds gets top billing. Explain that one to me. I have to infer women made this a hit as it was pretty much an ensemble female cast but so was The Help which actually had real actors actually acting. I believe the four rating is generous.

Horrible movie; so forgettable I already forgot it!

Author: hthbrr2 from United States
20 September 2011

Horrible movie; so forgettable I already forgot it!

This is one of those movies that is so bad that I pretend that I never watched it at all! What I mean is that it was not memorable; just a bunch of random events. Funny is "The Simpsons" a show where you remember what the ENTIRE episode was about and quote it from memory. This movie went though me like water. I watched it then forgot about it, it was not worth remembering nor could you, since it there was nothing to remember. The movie was a bore! I was bored to tears! The entire time I was checking to see how much was left! I was relieved it was over! So that is my explanation for my title, I will tell you what I can about this movie. I feel like I have to tell people to avoid this piece of crap!

SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT:

OK so the first scene in the movie is a "sex" scene. Hmm, so watching this I knew that you can't really watch this with just anyone. Anyways it was pretty pointless and disgusting. I guess what they were trying to say is that this guy is a jerk. But the scene where he tells her to leave was adequate to show he was a jerk! Then the scene with her jumping his fence was just even more pointless. Umm, yeah I get hazy as to what else happened after this….

Umm…oh yeah! She had a failed business and worked at some place. She's poor. OK her roommates are not normal. Yeah then her friend talks about vulgar things, of course, IN A PUBLIC PLACE! How unrealistic is that!? WOW! Then I guess her friend gets engaged and crazy $#!t occurs! NONE of it makes sense! That speech battle, that I only remembered by reading another person's review, was cringe worthy! THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN! The band would start playing. OK, sorry! This movie just CONSTANTLY insults my intelligence!!!!

Well, then I forgot what happened, and I don't care to try and remember. I watched this because I was desperate for a new comedy movie. Don't watch this it's horrible!

Bah!

Author: pantander from Norway
25 January 2012

I don't really care if this movie was the highest grossing R-rated chick flick thing ever, it was a crap way to spend my evening.

A lot of the scenes made me really embarrassed. The best part of the movie is when the aardvark, or whatever kind of furry forest critter that was, waggled across the road in front of the field where Helen's car broke down.

Felt unnecessarily long for a comedy. What kind of accent was that on officer Rhodes? Not sure how to re-write this into making it a helpful review. My advice would be not to see it, unless you have a thing for watching a movie you know is gonna be bad once in a while.