IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Really Disappointed

Author: derlaine from United States
26 September 2011

Really disappointed in this movie. I loved Hangover, Superbad, The Office, Blades of Glory, etc, but this movie was not that funny.

The whole movie is about a loser character being jealous and petty about her best friend's wedding. Instead of being happy for her new life and doing everything she can to make her wedding wonderful, she spends the whole time being jealous that other girls are prettier, richer and throw better parties than her. She only warms up to her "rival" when the rival looks uglier than her. Wow, how shallow can you get?

To top it all off, the humor is not outstanding. There are about 2 good lines in the whole movie, and the slapstick is not outrageous enough that it's special.

It finally happened - a movie without any redeeming features whatsoever

Author: bas rutten from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
17 October 2011

I had not expected this movie to be one of the worst I saw this year. After all, it has a decent rating on IMDb, it's produced by Judd Apatow, and it was lauded as the "female hangover". What could go wrong here? As it turns out, pretty much everything. This movie managed to literally hit all, and I really mean all, the wrong buttons for me.

I guess that at least something could be said for the premise, which basically is combining a fart comedy with a romantic drama. Somehow, though, it manages to take the very worst aspects of a drama and the very worst part of a fart comedy.

First of all, save for one or two instances, the humor totally misses the mark. I think I smiled maybe twice during the entire two hour running time, which must be a new low on the jokes per minute scale. The jokes just don't work..the physical humor is just plain vulgar in a bad way, and the verbal humor, while probably supposed to be sharp, just comes across as pointless angry ranting. Also, just about every scene goes on for way too long, ruining any potential there might have been.

For a drama, it also fails badly. First of all, just about every character with the possible exception of the police officer love interest, is self-obsessed, unsympathetic, shallow and just plain boring. It's impossible to care about these characters as they go through the horribly overlong (the movie is slow to a fault, as well) motions and end up at the horribly predictable conclusion.

I suppose some will pass of this movie as "clever" or "original" but in the end it's just the same old romcom template which has been done hundreds of time before..only this time with no humor, no chemistry and a lot of poorly executed "serious" take on the subject.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Author: Thomas Evensson from Ljusdal, Sweden
19 November 2011

I could go on and on about this movie and how bad every aspect of it is. I won't, because others have covered it to perfection; the plot is beyond dumb, the actors are terrible and there's absolutely No. Humor. At. All. in this movie (unless you happen to laugh at girls farting, belching, throwing up). One-dimensional characters that lead lives that are so far from reality it's amazing. Take for instance Annie (Wiig) and her job at the jewelery store... I assume talking to the customers like she does is supposed to generate laughter. It doesn't, believe me.

Drop your tickets/rentals and take two steps back!

And yes, my wife hated it as well.

A waste of space, time and celluloid......

Author: psjill-1 from Australia
13 November 2011

To sum it up - this film is crass, unfunny, foul-mouthed (and I thought I was broad-minded!), poorly written drivel that masquerades as a comedy. There are a lot of American comedies that I find less than amusing nowadays and which seem to be focused on teenage boys and their bodily functions, but this female version really scrapes the bottom of the barrel. (Thank God for the Coen brothers! And for writers who understand that good comedy uses humour, subtlety, satire and wit rather than a sledgehammer to get a point across!) This film sets out to shock and that is, in fact, the only area in which it succeeds.

The women in it are (mostly) so awful that if you were a guy you'd choose to be gay, and as a woman you would choose to elope! A minute with this group of women is 60 seconds too long.

Not funny just painful - way overrated

Author: phd_travel from United States
24 October 2012

I don't understand the success of this generally unfunny painful and juvenile in a bad way comedy. To top it all of Melissa Mccarthy getting nominations for her acting is absurd. For that silly food poisoning thing too! The jokes are so lame and drawn out beyond it's proper length like the toast scene. I like Rose Byrne but the lines she had weren't funny at all.

I can understand there is a need for a ladies version of the Hangover type comedy but this one is just so badly written. Kristen Wiig isn't up to writing a feature length movie. The humor is not even SNL standard.

I can't be the only one who found this just disgusting.

Downright Awkward

Author: Mike Fennemore from Cherry Hill, New Jersey
24 April 2012

Marketed as a female version of " The Hangover," "Bridesmaids" is far in comparison. ON the one hand you have a movie about four friends who drink themselves into the most elaborate, dangerous, and hilarious situations; all while completely unaware of what is occurring. Then you have "Bridesmaids."

Where do we begin? From the beginning of the film you just feel bad for the main character. You watch her daily routine and social interactions like a fly in the wall and just feel... awkward. It's awkward, because you almost feel embarrassed for her. Kristen Wiig's character is bitter and unpleasant and never lends herself to be liked. Even when you feel bad for her, it's hard to sympathize because her problems stem off of her simply unlikable personality. She finds herself in awkward situations that are simply the result of her own bitterness.

Thefilm does lend itself to some isolated laughs, with several "caricature" characters that lighten up the awkward, distilled, feeling that is the rest of the film. THe most likable role is played by actor Chris O'Dowd, and you honestly feel bad for him. He's a genuinely nice guy who once again falls victim to the main character's bitter nature. The isolated comedy, comedic characters, and O'Dowd's character are the only things that saved this film from being completely terrible.

If you like "The Hangover" and "Wedding Crashers" do not expect the same out of "Bridesmaides."

couldn't make it through the whole movie

Author: smurf197 from United States
28 August 2011

So I was pretty interested in seeing this movie, in the past I've been a big Judd Apatow fan and I like the idea of a female-centered comedy. I was excited when I saw the great reviews, which made it watching the movie especially disappointing.

The movie was a pretty painful experience. It is filled with uncomfortable/awkward moments from jokes being dragged on too long, for example the toast at the engagement party (which I fast forwarded through when I couldn't take it any more)as well as fart/vomit jokes which I can't believe continues to appear in so many movies. Overall, the movie seems to paint a negative picture of women. I was surprised that this was written by a woman, it basically portrays women as sad, unable to function with out a man, catty and superficial. Anyway, can't speak for the whole movie given that I turned it off half way through, but I felt the need to write to save others the time.

Don't buy into the good reviews

Author: (fella-nice) from United States
6 December 2011

It's exceedingly rare for me to see a movie and not be able to recall a single detail afterward. What do I recall about Bridesmaids (2011)? Just the feeling that it was a steaming pile,a waste of time, an affront to script writers and movie-goers. That's it. No scene or chuckle or line comes to mind. This movie was so bad, I doubt it can make it into a cult classic selection for horrible films.

I've seen comparisons to other films, like Wedding Crashers, Dumb and Dumber, and the Hangover. Each of those films had some redeeming qualities. Two of them are in my collection. This film may have been trying to be like those films, but it failed miserably, regardless of the impression I have that the actors did their best. Don't blame them - one may polish a turd forever and just have a shiny turd.

I wouldn't use this film's DVD as a coaster. Seriously. Avoid it. I don't know if some people sincerely like this, or if there is a concerted campaign to keep the ratings up. The metacritic score of 39 is much more accurate, but still generous. The young lady who viewed the film with me agreed.

Like the Energizer Bunny...

Author: wanderin from United States
2 October 2011

Like the Energizer Bunny "Bridesmaids (2011)" keeps going, going and going" and the viewer keeps waiting and holding on to the precious few laughs it produces in the first hour and hoping for more. Here lies the real problem...what could have been? BM's had the possibility to have been a very funny entertaining movie if only the producers had chosen better writers with original thoughts and jokes to make this movie what it could have been...funny and entertaining. Instead a painful 2 hours that only elicits minor chuckles at the expense of this viewers time which would have been better spent watching grass grow. Seriously, I really wanted this movie to make me laugh and I tried to participate, until the very last minute of what I kept hoping for that never materialized...funny entertainment.

Who Would EVER Be Friends With This Woman?

Author: mowasteph from United States
12 September 2011

What was all the buzz about this movie? What a piece of crap. First off, no one would ever act like Kristen Wiig's character does...and if they actually did, no one would have anything to do with her. I like Wiig on SNL but her character was 100% unlikable in this. Aren't you supposed to like the lead character? The rest of the characters were clichés. Only Maya Rudolph showed any class. The food poisoning scene was just stupid and gross and not very funny. I thought the Megan character was pretty funny...but on further reflection, only marginally. The guy who played the cop was good. But do you really think he'd like Annie? Run away, Officer! Run away from this loser woman right now! Everyone else...run away from this movie.