IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 28 of 49: [Prev][23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [Next]

Drawn out

Author: itamarscomix from Israel
29 May 2012

Bridesmaids seems to have been so acclaimed mainly because it's not as bad as you might expect. It's often compared to The Hangover and not without reason, but the one area in which The Hangover truly excelled which made it stand out, is where Bridesmaids fails miserably - pacing. Each gag is drawn out over painfully long periods of time, and the movie is 40 minutes too long. It almost makes sense when you realize that the two leads are SNL graduates.

That's not to say Bridesmaids doesn't deserve some credit. A comedy with an all-female lead cast is rare enough, and the movie has the unusual distinction of being a comedy directed at women that isn't a romantic comedy - in fact it's anything but, though it comes close at one point - and along the way breaks a lot of conventions about what a 'chick flick' should be, including some scenes of no holds barred gross-out comedy, of a kind that would fit right in with a male cast, but feels strangely disturbing with the female cast (and what does that say about our perceptions of gender?). Those are the moments where the movie is truly funny; and although the humor is low, in many ways it feels fresh, and as a comedy - in the big picture - it works and is memorable.

When there's actual plot, though, it feels like the characters keep talking long after we got the point. Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Rose Byrne all play characters of varying levels of unlikability and it's hard to care about any of them. The saving graces are Melissa McCarthy - the movie's only likable character, for me - Jon Hamm and Jill Clayburgh, whose scenes are shorter, funnier and more to the point than anything else. When Wiig and Byrne are bickering on screen, though, it's tough to remember why we have to root for either one.

Serious drama and gross-out comedy - an uneasy mix but it worked

Author: Gin-ster from United States
17 May 2012

This movie was all over the map. It was a serious drama about friendships, and about the sad plight of single women in contemporary society having to pretend to be okay with mistreatment by males as they attempt to show how "liberated" they are. Kristen Wiig was excellent both as a dramatic actress with great depth of expression (when needed) and at the same time, capable of doing physical comedy of the sort displayed in her Saturday Night Live skits. The scene when she was first stopped by the policeman and tried to demonstrate (unnecessarily, as it turned out) that she was not drunk was one such example. Which leads to the SPOILER - the one area in which the story didn't ring true related to her rejection of the policeman after they had spent the night together and he openly expressed a wish to keep things going (instead of just sending her away like John Hamm's character). It seemed like a plot contrivance to inject more suspense into the story (i.e. "Would they reconcile? Had she ruined her chance for happiness?") as there was no clear reason why she fled and then refused to return his calls etc. I see that as unrealistic behavior, a situation driven by plot and not character. Otherwise, while the movie didn't always seem clear as to what it intended to be (i.e. a gal pal comedy? a poignant drama about human relations?) nevertheless all the pieces added up into a moving film. PS, the trailer is entirely misleading and I can imagine many expecting a comedy romp were disappointed.

Much more sad than funny

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
7 May 2012

After all that I had heard about this movie, I expected it to be hilarious. It is not. While it has some comedic scenes, I wouldn't really call this a comedy. Its dramatic parts are okay, just unexpected from the hype. I was not familiar with Kristen Wiig, who I thought did a good job with a tough character to play. Sad, with many of her problems of her own making, Ms. Wiig still came off with a certain level of charisma. Kudos to Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper for keeping some of the smiles going. It is overall not a bad movie, but if you are expecting to howl with laughter, you will likely be disappointed

"Bridesmaids"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
2 May 2012

Once upon a time, I'm looking for a new comedy. I was trying to get away from the mainstream comedies nowadays, I was looking for something different. When I first saw Bridesmaids, guess what I put it off as? A chick flick. The cover looked so bad and terrible, and looked like another pathetic attempt at humor. And guess what again? The movie has the same effect on you as looking at the cover, triggering you to say "really?"

Now, listen, Bridesmaids is surely not a bad film. In fact, at least it was something different. Different I mean in it's cast. The movie had spice in it's cast. It was all something different. We have actors all from Kristen Wiig to Melissa McCarthy. Now don't get me wrong, I love Melissa McCarthy. I whole-heartily think she's laugh-out-loud hilarious. But in this film she's basically a one trick dog. She thinks she can say a few lame things and cross it off as funny because that's who she looks out to be. Wrong. Her lines were cringe-worthy to say the worth. And she was the one with the most potential in her character, and than finished in last place.

The film's humor was probably the best part of this film. It's a blend of warmheartedness and even it's own pinch of raunchy humor. Some scene, though, came off as an ATTEMPT but others had me rolling. Now this leads me to the next big problem we need to discuss. Even though the movie is a blend of genres, it never knows exactly what it is going for. It's like that clichéd scenario where you let your dog out and let him decide his owner. Except the dog/film doesn't know exactly where to go, so this entire 125 minutes is confused and desperate to find somewhere. I love diversity, but it's gets annoying and raunchiness and warmheartedness don't really click together.

Expect the expected, Bridesmaids is critically-appealed but deeply inside another chick flick. It does nothing new, for me, and it never knows if it's a straight-up comedy our a raunchy chick flick. Whichever one, I knew the movie wasn't for me. And no, that doesn't mean I am sexist. The movie wasn't to my taste, how is that so hard to believe? I recommend for people who know what they are getting into, and actually really enjoy chick flicks. Bridesmaids can be considered a faithful one at that, but not faithful to my tastes. But who am I to say? Go see it for yourself.

6/10.

"Good Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
21 April 2012

Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy and Chris O'Dowd star in this 2011 comedy. Annie (Wiig) is an out-of-work pastry chef who is asked by her best friend, Lillian (Rudolph) to be her maid of honor for her wedding. Annie meets Lillian's friend, Helen (Byrne) who tries to take over and things go wrong for Annie when they start competing for Lillian's friendship. McCarthy plays Megan, one of Lillian's bridesmaids who becomes good friends with Annie and O'Dowd plays cop, Rhodes who becomes romantically involved with Annie. Wiig and McCarthy steal the film and I like Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" performance. I recommend this good comedy that's not just another chick flick.

Laugh-out-loud, surprisingly sweet and well-rounded

Author: PassThePopcorn Reviews (x_chan_x-349-174192) from United Kingdom
20 April 2012

Set the scene:

Annie and Lillian have been best friends since they were kids. They do everything together. While Annie's life has hit rock bottom, Lillian's just gained a huge rock…she's engaged, and happily asks an increasingly desperate Annie to be her Maid of Honour. There's just one problem. Lillian's got a new best friend, Helen, who is beautiful, rich, saccharine sweet and a massive, perfectly pedicured thorn in Annie's side. Cue - battle of the Bridesmaids.

So, what did you think?:

OK, so it's pretty hard to give an unbiased review on a movie I already have a soft spot for. It's been said that 'Bridesmaids' is the female equivalent of 'The Hangover', a movie that has some frickin' hilarious, belly-laugh-inducing moments. However, this opinion is not one I subscribe to. Between the moments of hilarity that vaguely echo the chaotic humour of the Hangover are sweet moments full of heart, particularly in a scene in the second half between a scene-stealing Melissa McCarthy as Megan and the effortlessly funny Kristen Wiig as Annie. It's a breakthrough moment for Annie.

In fact, it's the female actresses that elevate this movie from an in- your-face comedy to a well-rounded film. It's great to see female actresses delivering punchy, funny lines that aren't just about their respective sexual partners. It nicely portrays the best-friendship between Annie and Lillian, and an budding romantic subplot, with an unusually cast Chris O'Dowd as a honest and frankly adorable police-man as Annie's love-interest. Kristen Wiig, of Saturday Night Live fame is refreshing as Annie, and has become one of my favourite female comic actresses following 'Bridesmaids'. Melissa McCarthy is the icing on the wedding cake for this film. 90% of her lines are hugely funny and slightly gross, the other 10% the voice of reason for Annie.

Still, as good as this film is, it's not perfect by any means. While Chris O'Dowd makes a sincere, puppy-dog-like romantic lead as Rhodes, I just don't buy the chemistry between Rhodes and Annie. Matt Lucas, of 'Litte Britain' fame and Rebel Wilson appear as Annie's housemates, a clue-less British brother and sister duo. I just can't get to grips with their scenes. They feel jarring and out of sync with the rest of the film, although I can't quite put my finger on why.

Still, nice film, not breaking any boundaries, but a good film to watch with your mates on a movie night in and have a giggle.

Roll the credits…

Megan: 'You're your problem Annie…and you're also your solution'

I don't know why it's called a comedy

Author: Lina Ko from United Kingdom
19 July 2014

When this film came out it was hyped as the funniest film of the year. The reviews looked like it's a comedy - not so. I managed about 15 minutes of excruciatingly painful, cringe inducing, embarrassingly pathetic characters, beyond banal scenes and unrealistic dialogues before giving up on this "funniest comedy of the year". This film couldn't be less funny if it tried. What happened to comedy I wonder? Since when disgusting dialogue and gross slapstick is so universally funny? Comedy is supposed to feel good - not grossed out, uncomfortable and cringing. The suits seemed to have completely taken over film making and it is truly unfortunate for those of us who like a good story and a laugh. I sincerely hope that the corporate bores will hit a wall one day and will be forced to loosen up the grip of their greedy paws on film makers a little - and that we will see the likes of Live Nude Girls and Bridget Jones Diary again.

I don't know what everyone's problem is

Author: (Oneinamillionx3) from United States
23 May 2014

This movie instantly became one of my favorite amongst friends and a must for every movie night. I don't know what's stuck up the caboose of everyone on this site, but someone needs to dislodge it PRONTO. Has the world gone mad?! Lighten up its a movie nothing more nothing less. If I had to choose between this and something else to kill time with, it would be this hands down every time. All the low ratings for this are a real head scratcher and I can't stand the people who blame the previews for giving away the funny parts of the movie, which is entirely the fault of advertisement and not the movie itself. And if you didn't have any faith in it in the first place than you probably shouldn't have watched it. Or maybe you should rethink your opinion, seeing as this was nominated for 2 Academy Awards. Swerve.

Waste of time

Author: aurita_roy from Australia
15 March 2014

This was a truly awful movie, that I started watching at home, on a DVD, with my husband, and had to (and thank fully could) shut it down. I cannot remember the last time this has happened because I have, like a lot of people, a lot of respect for people's efforts in making a creative work. It was demeaning, sickening, insulting and negative in every way possible. My first reaction was do normal people really behave this way? It was only after I read the reviews that I realised that I was not being finicky or difficult. There are some excellent reviews on the movie that summarise all that is wrong with this movie, please read them and don't touch it with a barge pole if your humour does not include watching people make complete assess of themselves. This takes that approach to a whole new level.

One of the best comedies ever.

Author: keila_g
12 March 2014

I have seen this so many times and I still laugh every time. I can't believe that it's got bad reviews in here. It is really freaking hilarious. If you haven't seen it, go watch it and you are in for a really fun and great treat.

One of the best comedy movies ever made.

I kind of see myself in Annie. Kristen Wiig did a great job being Annie. Being awkward. Anyway I'm no good at doing reviews. But I'm pretty good at judging great movies and I highly recommend this one. Be ready to laugh your head off. Go watch it. And enjoy. I just love this film.

I think it's funnier than the hangover 1. Though I love that one too.