IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 25 of 47: [Prev][20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [Next]

A great comedy for girls and guys

Author: Steven from Columbus, Ohio
13 May 2011

I had been hoping that this would be another great comedy to add to the Apatow group, and my hopes were fulfilled. This time around, producer Judd Apatow has called on director Paul Feig to do a movie with the main characters being women.

Kristen Wiig from Saturday Night Live plays Annie, a former baker who has been out of business for a while. Maya Rudolph plays Lillian, Annie's best friend who announces that she is engaged and wants Annie to be her maid of honor. Starting with the engagement party, we are introduced to the other bridesmaids. The one bridesmaid that is mostly focused on is Helen, played by Rose Byrne. The story shifts to Helen trying and succeeding at stealing Annie's power as maid of honor. Every time Annie comes up with an idea on something to do related to the wedding or bridesmaids, Helen tries to outdo her.

Most of the focus is on Annie and the fact that she feels like Helen is trying to replace her and be better than her. I think what Wiig does so well in this role is how she makes us feel sympathy for her and want her to find a way out of her slump. I felt like cheering for her and wanted her to fix her life and stand up for herself. One scene I thought Wiig did really well was an outburst scene because she did great at showing her rage without going over the top. This film was a great starring vehicle for Kristen Wiig.

Byrne is great at being the snobby, over-achieving Helen. What Byrne does well is being the prissy snob that makes us want to hate her for what she is doing to Annie. At the same time, she is cool because of the strings she is able to pull to get what she wants.

Rudolph does some fine work in her part. She is likable at first because she is a good friend. Eventually, she is not there for Annie, and ends up turning on her.

I also enjoyed the other bridesmaids in their parts. Ellie Kemper, who plays Erin on The Office, has some great scenes. She plays a young wife who says some stupid things and realizes she hasn't lived. Melissa McCarthy is a riot as Megan, who is smart, crazy, and ends up helping Annie in her time of need. Wendi McLendon-Covey is the other one, who does a fine job. Most of her screen time is her complaining about her home life.

The story is a hilarious one. Even though most of the ensemble is women, there are plenty of laughs for the guys as well. Most of the situations in the films are funny for everyone. Don't let the makeup of the main cast fool you. This movie is plenty of funny and is very entertaining.

Craptastic!

Author: jenna195 from United States
22 June 2011

After seeing all of the reviews for this movie, I couldn't wait to see it. It got so many great reviews, not only from IMDb, but from my friends. The first 10 minutes of the movie passed and I already wanted to leave. Nonetheless, I stayed, hoping that something drastically funny would occur. Boy was I wrong! After realizing the movie had been playing for an hour, I knew it wasn't going to get funny. I walked out and got my money back (thank goodness). This was a sad attempt at humor. Yes, I realize that everyone's sense of humor is different, but I do not understand how anyone in their right mind could think this movie was even the slightest bit funny. Not only was it not funny, but all of the attempts at "humor" were just down right nasty! I'm not prude and some of the jokes made me feel uncomfortable, and I found myself thinking: "Were the people who wrote this script on crack?" One of the worst movies I have ever seen. If I could give 0 stars I would. Please save your money for some other movie. *To all the people who couldn't get their money back I am genuinely sorry!

Billed As "The Hangover For Women". It Wasn't Anything Like That At All

Author: ArArArchStanton from United States
2 July 2015

This film is a sappy, "who is the true friend" tale. I mean was this the height of female humor, that even in a comedy you have to turn it into a soap opera?

And who the hell thinks women with diarrhea is funny?

This movie started off fine, but about a third of the way through became a chore to watch. It wasn't funny. It just wasn't. She spent the entire second half trying to figure out how to become friends with the bride again. Lot's of moping and crying.

Now does that sound like a comedy to you? Of course not.

Was anybody moping and crying in The Hangover? Or in 40 Year Old Virgin? Those are male based comedies WHICH WERE COMEDIES!!!! COMEDY being the key word.

If this was what women find funny, then I just have no interest in watching movies that women find funny. It wasn't funny.

Funniest Comedy In Years

Author: James Wood from United Kingdom
3 May 2015

The finest lead female cast since The Descent back in 2005, Bridesmaids boasts the talents of Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper, then throws them all together for the ultimate wedding comedy that has fiery confrontations, shocking behaviour, drunken antics and a lot of one-oneupmanship. Every time I watch this I'm in tears laughing, howling uncontrollably because of the jokes and perfect delivery. Kristen Wiig's awkwardness and eventual competitiveness as Annie is great stirring on the fire and tension for Rose Byrne's Helen, Byrne is at her best and as you've never seen her before. Melissa McCarthy simply steals the scene as Megan, I cried with laughter as she went through the story of how she fell off a cruise ship, and immediately after that comes the defining moment of laughter that is the endless wedding speech from Annie and Helen. Wendi McLendon-Covey is hilarious as a foul mouth sick of her kids mother whose incessant bitching about them gets more hysterical as the drinks come in, Ellie Kemper's best moment as Becca has to be her explanation of her sex life whilst on a plane to Vegas, and Maya's Rudolph's poo in the street in a wedding dress scene is outrageously brilliant. These ladies know comedy as does director Paul Feig, just be sure you're not eating whilst watching Bridesmaids as the contents of your food will be all over you due to fits of laughter.

Another case of nice story bad execution

Author: Safdar Ali from New Delhi
6 July 2012

Mediocre by any standards. When Annie's best friend Lillian decides to get married she is entrusted with the responsibility of organizing things, the catch being she has to do it with a group of 'not so cool' girls. What follows is an attempt to prove who is closer to the bride to be and a bizarre sequence of events which neither make you laugh nor you can connect to. The fact that Annie has a weird mother, weirder roommates and with no job security fails to evoke any sympathy. The only bright spot in the movie is definitely the subtle but surely there romance between Annie and the cop. Its cute. Kristen does nothing exemplary nor does any of the others in the cast, though Melissa does make you laugh and is definitely the pick of the lot.

Another Sexist Cliché

Author: Ranger Bagel
4 June 2012

I found this movie exceptionally predictable and an exercise in modern sexism. I thought it was supposed to be another triumph of a new kind of comedy; one that's self aware and about dynamic people who have dynamic emotions (A good example would be in Knocked up when Seth Rogan yells at "hormones" or when he apologizes mid-insult in Pineapple Express for said insult). Too many comedies have characters throwing insults and jabs at each other without feeling or consequence. A lot of the movies this film has been compared to have actual character development and consequences for their actions.

Instead: Pathetic woman who measures herself against everyone else and turns all of her relationships into adversarial exercises in jealousy. She's most concerned with how other people see her and feel about her. Best friend getting married? She's not the center of attention. Another bridesmaid is richer/prettier/wealthier/more cultured? She's not the center of attention. Handsome guy she's screwing calls her "fuck buddy?" She's not the center of attention.

The fact that she's a skilled baker and artisan kind of takes a back seat here. Why didn't she bake her best friend's wedding cake? I would've liked to have seen her grow more thoroughly and have more of an existential crisis rather than a crisis of vanity.

A plus is Melissa McCarthy's performance. That was a truly original and fascinating female character. I would've liked to have seen more of her. I would've liked to have seen more of an ensemble-driven plot. Kristen Wig and Maya Rudolph have amazing chemistry.

But we don't get much of the good because culturally we associate women most immediately with vanity and that's what audiences -- or what studios and screenwriters Wiig and Mumolo think audiences -- want. This film is about a crisis of vanity. As most films about women are.

Drawn out

Author: itamarscomix from Israel
29 May 2012

Bridesmaids seems to have been so acclaimed mainly because it's not as bad as you might expect. It's often compared to The Hangover and not without reason, but the one area in which The Hangover truly excelled which made it stand out, is where Bridesmaids fails miserably - pacing. Each gag is drawn out over painfully long periods of time, and the movie is 40 minutes too long. It almost makes sense when you realize that the two leads are SNL graduates.

That's not to say Bridesmaids doesn't deserve some credit. A comedy with an all-female lead cast is rare enough, and the movie has the unusual distinction of being a comedy directed at women that isn't a romantic comedy - in fact it's anything but, though it comes close at one point - and along the way breaks a lot of conventions about what a 'chick flick' should be, including some scenes of no holds barred gross-out comedy, of a kind that would fit right in with a male cast, but feels strangely disturbing with the female cast (and what does that say about our perceptions of gender?). Those are the moments where the movie is truly funny; and although the humor is low, in many ways it feels fresh, and as a comedy - in the big picture - it works and is memorable.

When there's actual plot, though, it feels like the characters keep talking long after we got the point. Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Rose Byrne all play characters of varying levels of unlikability and it's hard to care about any of them. The saving graces are Melissa McCarthy - the movie's only likable character, for me - Jon Hamm and Jill Clayburgh, whose scenes are shorter, funnier and more to the point than anything else. When Wiig and Byrne are bickering on screen, though, it's tough to remember why we have to root for either one.

Serious drama and gross-out comedy - an uneasy mix but it worked

Author: Gin-ster from United States
17 May 2012

This movie was all over the map. It was a serious drama about friendships, and about the sad plight of single women in contemporary society having to pretend to be okay with mistreatment by males as they attempt to show how "liberated" they are. Kristen Wiig was excellent both as a dramatic actress with great depth of expression (when needed) and at the same time, capable of doing physical comedy of the sort displayed in her Saturday Night Live skits. The scene when she was first stopped by the policeman and tried to demonstrate (unnecessarily, as it turned out) that she was not drunk was one such example. Which leads to the SPOILER - the one area in which the story didn't ring true related to her rejection of the policeman after they had spent the night together and he openly expressed a wish to keep things going (instead of just sending her away like John Hamm's character). It seemed like a plot contrivance to inject more suspense into the story (i.e. "Would they reconcile? Had she ruined her chance for happiness?") as there was no clear reason why she fled and then refused to return his calls etc. I see that as unrealistic behavior, a situation driven by plot and not character. Otherwise, while the movie didn't always seem clear as to what it intended to be (i.e. a gal pal comedy? a poignant drama about human relations?) nevertheless all the pieces added up into a moving film. PS, the trailer is entirely misleading and I can imagine many expecting a comedy romp were disappointed.

Much more sad than funny

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
7 May 2012

After all that I had heard about this movie, I expected it to be hilarious. It is not. While it has some comedic scenes, I wouldn't really call this a comedy. Its dramatic parts are okay, just unexpected from the hype. I was not familiar with Kristen Wiig, who I thought did a good job with a tough character to play. Sad, with many of her problems of her own making, Ms. Wiig still came off with a certain level of charisma. Kudos to Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper for keeping some of the smiles going. It is overall not a bad movie, but if you are expecting to howl with laughter, you will likely be disappointed

"Bridesmaids"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
2 May 2012

Once upon a time, I'm looking for a new comedy. I was trying to get away from the mainstream comedies nowadays, I was looking for something different. When I first saw Bridesmaids, guess what I put it off as? A chick flick. The cover looked so bad and terrible, and looked like another pathetic attempt at humor. And guess what again? The movie has the same effect on you as looking at the cover, triggering you to say "really?"

Now, listen, Bridesmaids is surely not a bad film. In fact, at least it was something different. Different I mean in it's cast. The movie had spice in it's cast. It was all something different. We have actors all from Kristen Wiig to Melissa McCarthy. Now don't get me wrong, I love Melissa McCarthy. I whole-heartily think she's laugh-out-loud hilarious. But in this film she's basically a one trick dog. She thinks she can say a few lame things and cross it off as funny because that's who she looks out to be. Wrong. Her lines were cringe-worthy to say the worth. And she was the one with the most potential in her character, and than finished in last place.

The film's humor was probably the best part of this film. It's a blend of warmheartedness and even it's own pinch of raunchy humor. Some scene, though, came off as an ATTEMPT but others had me rolling. Now this leads me to the next big problem we need to discuss. Even though the movie is a blend of genres, it never knows exactly what it is going for. It's like that clichéd scenario where you let your dog out and let him decide his owner. Except the dog/film doesn't know exactly where to go, so this entire 125 minutes is confused and desperate to find somewhere. I love diversity, but it's gets annoying and raunchiness and warmheartedness don't really click together.

Expect the expected, Bridesmaids is critically-appealed but deeply inside another chick flick. It does nothing new, for me, and it never knows if it's a straight-up comedy our a raunchy chick flick. Whichever one, I knew the movie wasn't for me. And no, that doesn't mean I am sexist. The movie wasn't to my taste, how is that so hard to believe? I recommend for people who know what they are getting into, and actually really enjoy chick flicks. Bridesmaids can be considered a faithful one at that, but not faithful to my tastes. But who am I to say? Go see it for yourself.

6/10.