IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 49: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

What a horrible movie

Author: orangeisthenewawesome from United States
15 October 2011

Just rented this on iTunes, and I'm sorry I didn't try to stream it for free. I think Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph are talented actresses and they were both annoying in this. Maya Rudolph was given nothing to work with really and Kristin's character was just a really annoying loser. I didn't care about any of them. This movie could have been something great and instead it was disjointed, annoying, silly, pedestrian and a complete waste of my time and money.

The few things I did like were the mom character (pretty complex, interesting character well played), Jon Hamm (YUM, and nice to see him playing a dickhead), and the roommates who were over-the-top but provided some real comedy.

Overall, avoid this movie. It sucks.

Love Hurts

Author: piratecannon from United States
26 December 2012

Let's be honest: when we saw the first trailer for Bridesmaids, who among us didn't think it looked like a dismal rehash of The Hangover (only this one, of course, features a "ratpack" of women)? Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that Bridesmaids is better than The Hangover. I have yet to see The Hangover Part 2, so I can't comment on any similarities/differences that might or might not exist. But one thing is for sure: Kristen Wiig has proved her worth as a female lead with a serious amount of comedic clout.

The story isn't revolutionary: one of two best friends is getting married, and everything involved with said nuptials is threatening to tear their lifelong friendship apart. At the center of this battle is Helen, a newly acquired "friend"—via the merging of two exclusive social circles—who begins taking over the wedding plans for Lillian (Rudolph). Annie (Wiig) makes it her mission to take out this she-devil, and what follows is the setup for one of the more memorable meltdowns (among a plethora of other things) to come along in quite some time. Bridesmaids is also peppered with the sort of humor that made movies like Superbad and Knocked Up so funny—it's observant and kitschy in that it rightly jabs several other films that have braved similar issues. In fact, the previously mentioned Hangover is, in at least a very minute way, one of these movies. In what initially appears to be a sad "bow" to The Hangover as king of the pre-wedding funnies, the girls decide to go to Vegas for Lillian's bachelorette party. This ends up being a perfectly welcome curve ball, though, as screenwriters Wiig and Mumolo brilliantly utilize the length of the plane trip to said destination to further flesh out their characters and create an impressively humorous string of in-flight mishaps.

There are a number of other contributors who make Bridesmaids work extraordinarily well, but, as is the case with any solid piece of cinema, it's best if you set aside some time to take in the whole thing in one fell swoop and let it unravel of its own volition. Sure, it's extraordinarily raunchy from time to time, but the nuanced, perfectly- timed moments of comedic genius make it a very worthwhile trip.

Overrated Comedy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 February 2012

In Milwaukee, the bitter Annie Walker (Kristen Wiig) is a complete loser with a messy life: she is the sex toy of the womanizer Ted; she has a lousy job of seller in jewelry; she drives a junk car; she shares her apartment with two morons and siblings; she bankrupted her bakery business. When her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) invites her to be the maid of honor with four bridesmaids, Annie feels jealous and envious of the gorgeous and wealthy Helen Harris (Rose Byrne) and they compete to be Lillian's best friend. Meanwhile the police officer Nathan Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) feels attracted to Annie.

"Bridesmaid" is an overrated comedy with a terrible story, scatological jokes and an envious lead character that takes the most despicable attitudes in the party of her best friend due to her envy. I really did not like this awful story but I laughed with some bizarre situations. The joke with the Brazilian food is ridiculous. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "Missão Madrinha de Casamento" ("Mission Maid of Honor")

A waste of space, time and celluloid......

Author: psjill-1 from Australia
13 November 2011

To sum it up - this film is crass, unfunny, foul-mouthed (and I thought I was broad-minded!), poorly written drivel that masquerades as a comedy. There are a lot of American comedies that I find less than amusing nowadays and which seem to be focused on teenage boys and their bodily functions, but this female version really scrapes the bottom of the barrel. (Thank God for the Coen brothers! And for writers who understand that good comedy uses humour, subtlety, satire and wit rather than a sledgehammer to get a point across!) This film sets out to shock and that is, in fact, the only area in which it succeeds.

The women in it are (mostly) so awful that if you were a guy you'd choose to be gay, and as a woman you would choose to elope! A minute with this group of women is 60 seconds too long.

The ladies try to get a hangover, but fall short

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
15 May 2011

While trying to walk the tightrope between raucous comedy and tender love story, "Bridesmaids" presents an almost exasperating movie-going experience.

Directed by Paul Feig (veteran helmer of several episodes of "The Office," "30 Rock" and "Nurse Jackie" television series) and written by SNL alum Kristen Wiig - who also stars - the film tries to be the distaff version of "The Hangover," but substitutes that picture's hilarious stupidity with a schmaltzy romcom theme.

Plot has lifelong best friends Annie (Wiig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph, SNL) planning Lillian's wedding to a dullard. Chosen as the maid of honor, Annie - whose personal and professional life is already in shambles - completely falls apart under the stress.

Her situation is not helped by the presence of Helen (Rose Byrne, "28 Weeks Later," "Get Him To the Greek"), a rich snob who is trying to become Lillian's new BFF. Add to this an eclectic collection of bridesmaids, including Becca (Ellie Kemper, "The Office"), Rita (Wendy McLendon-Covey, "Reno: 911") and Megan (Melissa McCarthy, "The Backup Plan," "Mike and Molly" TV series) and the cast is set for some really funny situations.

The problem is, however, comedus interruptus. Just when we're on the brink of some gut-splitting laughs, the film veers off into unnecessary serious moments. The biggest of which involves a supposed trip to Las Vegas that - literally - goes nowhere. It would have been a great opportunity to have the girls let it all hang out, but all we get is some lame projectile vomit scenes and an explosive diarrhea sequence.

Meanwhile, the constantly beat-down Annie's (Annette Benning in "Running With Scissors" only WISHED she could be this depressing) life is spiraling out of control. She loses her job, is treated like dirt by her love interest (Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"), gets kicked out of her own apartment (by a pair of slobby Australian roommates) and is forced to live with her mother (the late Jill Clayburg).

She does meet a sweet Irish cop, Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd, "Gulliver's Travels," "Dinner For Schmucks"), though, but, of course, she tries to poison that relationship, as well. In fact, Wiig is all over the map here and seems to be trying to play every inmate character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Plus, she's not really very funny, despite being on screen over 90 percent of the time.

The only humorous character is Megan and that's probably because she plays a plus-size semi-lesbian nympho truck driver type. Annie, on the other hand, despite the movie's attempt to justify her violent mood swings, is still someone few people in real life would even want to get close to.

Certainly not the worst film for the "Girls Go Crazy" genre - it's light years ahead of the "Sex and the City" franchise, for example - but needs to focus on just what kind of movie it really wants to be.

At least after 20 years, however, Wilson Phillips still looks and sounds great

If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the best of it

Author: sean leaver from United Kingdom
18 July 2011

As per some of the other reviews, I was expecting the female equivalent of The Hangover. To give you some perspective, I would rather have a hangover than watch Bridesmaids again.

The thing that's puzzling me is who are all these people bigging it up? Are the film makers paying crew, family & friends to vote & review positively? I could understand a few good reviews but not the number that are on here.

If you really want to get the best out of this film, wait 'til it's available on DVD. Or even better, wait until it's broadcast on TV. The best bits are definitely in the trailer.

Pleae don't waste your time & money at the cinema.

I Love Kristen Wiig!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
17 May 2011

Kristen Wiig is the only reason I wanted to see this movie, and she is insanely hilarious! (She'll go down in history with Lucille Ball and Gilda Radner) Of course, it had more great actresses such as Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendi McLendon-Covey. There were a lot of hilarious and disgustingly awesome jokes. Wiig plays Annie, best friend to Lillian who is about to get married. Annie is asked to be the Maid of Honor and becomes jealous of Lillian's new rich friend, Helen. Throughout the movie, Annie slowly goes crazy and constantly competes against Helen. If you want a good decent comedy, you'll love BRIDESMAIDS!!!

couldn't make it through the whole movie

Author: smurf197 from United States
28 August 2011

So I was pretty interested in seeing this movie, in the past I've been a big Judd Apatow fan and I like the idea of a female-centered comedy. I was excited when I saw the great reviews, which made it watching the movie especially disappointing.

The movie was a pretty painful experience. It is filled with uncomfortable/awkward moments from jokes being dragged on too long, for example the toast at the engagement party (which I fast forwarded through when I couldn't take it any more)as well as fart/vomit jokes which I can't believe continues to appear in so many movies. Overall, the movie seems to paint a negative picture of women. I was surprised that this was written by a woman, it basically portrays women as sad, unable to function with out a man, catty and superficial. Anyway, can't speak for the whole movie given that I turned it off half way through, but I felt the need to write to save others the time.

Don't buy into the good reviews

Author: (fella-nice) from United States
6 December 2011

It's exceedingly rare for me to see a movie and not be able to recall a single detail afterward. What do I recall about Bridesmaids (2011)? Just the feeling that it was a steaming pile,a waste of time, an affront to script writers and movie-goers. That's it. No scene or chuckle or line comes to mind. This movie was so bad, I doubt it can make it into a cult classic selection for horrible films.

I've seen comparisons to other films, like Wedding Crashers, Dumb and Dumber, and the Hangover. Each of those films had some redeeming qualities. Two of them are in my collection. This film may have been trying to be like those films, but it failed miserably, regardless of the impression I have that the actors did their best. Don't blame them - one may polish a turd forever and just have a shiny turd.

I wouldn't use this film's DVD as a coaster. Seriously. Avoid it. I don't know if some people sincerely like this, or if there is a concerted campaign to keep the ratings up. The metacritic score of 39 is much more accurate, but still generous. The young lady who viewed the film with me agreed.

Like the Energizer Bunny...

Author: wanderin from United States
2 October 2011

Like the Energizer Bunny "Bridesmaids (2011)" keeps going, going and going" and the viewer keeps waiting and holding on to the precious few laughs it produces in the first hour and hoping for more. Here lies the real problem...what could have been? BM's had the possibility to have been a very funny entertaining movie if only the producers had chosen better writers with original thoughts and jokes to make this movie what it could have been...funny and entertaining. Instead a painful 2 hours that only elicits minor chuckles at the expense of this viewers time which would have been better spent watching grass grow. Seriously, I really wanted this movie to make me laugh and I tried to participate, until the very last minute of what I kept hoping for that never materialized...funny entertainment.