IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 49: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I don't get this movie.

Author: Karen Cat from United States
28 September 2011

Having heard how funny this movie was, I bought the DVD and was very sorry I did. I bought it thinking it was going to be a female "Hangover" and it wasn't. The humor in it was very crude, which isn't something I really care for. If you like fart, puke, and poop humor, you will probably love it.

I thought the previews were very misleading. It it is basically about a woman going through a really bad time in her life, and we are all supposed to find that funny. I didn't.

Sure, there were a few funny parts, but not that many. Many scenes just left me feeling "icky".

I Love Kristen Wiig!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
17 May 2011

Kristen Wiig is the only reason I wanted to see this movie, and she is insanely hilarious! (She'll go down in history with Lucille Ball and Gilda Radner) Of course, it had more great actresses such as Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendi McLendon-Covey. There were a lot of hilarious and disgustingly awesome jokes. Wiig plays Annie, best friend to Lillian who is about to get married. Annie is asked to be the Maid of Honor and becomes jealous of Lillian's new rich friend, Helen. Throughout the movie, Annie slowly goes crazy and constantly competes against Helen. If you want a good decent comedy, you'll love BRIDESMAIDS!!!

Complete pants

Author: davek28 from Birmingham, UK
19 November 2011

There should be a film classification which restricts admission to people UNDER a certain age. In the case of Bridesmaids it should be restricted to under fifteens. That's about the level of humour of this film. Despite the good reviews it's actually a pile of inane, predictable, juvenile rubbish.

I really wanted to like it, but it was just embarrassing. I felt no sympathy at all for any of the characters. If I enjoyed slapstick and gutter humour I might have liked it better. Every "joke" was stretched out beyond its limits. Overall, a painful experience.

This is a final line of text to get past IMDb's silly restriction on too-short reviews. Bridesmaids is still rubbish.

couldn't make it through the whole movie

Author: smurf197 from United States
28 August 2011

So I was pretty interested in seeing this movie, in the past I've been a big Judd Apatow fan and I like the idea of a female-centered comedy. I was excited when I saw the great reviews, which made it watching the movie especially disappointing.

The movie was a pretty painful experience. It is filled with uncomfortable/awkward moments from jokes being dragged on too long, for example the toast at the engagement party (which I fast forwarded through when I couldn't take it any more)as well as fart/vomit jokes which I can't believe continues to appear in so many movies. Overall, the movie seems to paint a negative picture of women. I was surprised that this was written by a woman, it basically portrays women as sad, unable to function with out a man, catty and superficial. Anyway, can't speak for the whole movie given that I turned it off half way through, but I felt the need to write to save others the time.

Absolute Dross

Author: maxcottle-1 from United Kingdom
13 January 2012

Bridesmaids

2:10 mins of teeth itching drivel. I enjoy a good comedy i really do. this wasn't one it was desperate, obvious and weak. So much talent in this film to many really talented comedy actors and actresses and yet it was an effort to sit through it. Cheap Cheap jokes, vomit, pooh and schoolgirl competitiveness. Worst comedy since the mister Magoo film, Scooby doo or Dennis the Mennis. Baring in mind that they were all rubbish children's films. What irks me is all of the review on IMDb and all of the adverts that lead me to download this dross EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE RUBBISH!!!!

What I don't understand is how it rated so high on IMDb if i could give it a negative number is would and it would be in the high double figures.

What a horrible movie

Author: orangeisthenewawesome from United States
15 October 2011

Just rented this on iTunes, and I'm sorry I didn't try to stream it for free. I think Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph are talented actresses and they were both annoying in this. Maya Rudolph was given nothing to work with really and Kristin's character was just a really annoying loser. I didn't care about any of them. This movie could have been something great and instead it was disjointed, annoying, silly, pedestrian and a complete waste of my time and money.

The few things I did like were the mom character (pretty complex, interesting character well played), Jon Hamm (YUM, and nice to see him playing a dickhead), and the roommates who were over-the-top but provided some real comedy.

Overall, avoid this movie. It sucks.

The ladies try to get a hangover, but fall short

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
15 May 2011

While trying to walk the tightrope between raucous comedy and tender love story, "Bridesmaids" presents an almost exasperating movie-going experience.

Directed by Paul Feig (veteran helmer of several episodes of "The Office," "30 Rock" and "Nurse Jackie" television series) and written by SNL alum Kristen Wiig - who also stars - the film tries to be the distaff version of "The Hangover," but substitutes that picture's hilarious stupidity with a schmaltzy romcom theme.

Plot has lifelong best friends Annie (Wiig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph, SNL) planning Lillian's wedding to a dullard. Chosen as the maid of honor, Annie - whose personal and professional life is already in shambles - completely falls apart under the stress.

Her situation is not helped by the presence of Helen (Rose Byrne, "28 Weeks Later," "Get Him To the Greek"), a rich snob who is trying to become Lillian's new BFF. Add to this an eclectic collection of bridesmaids, including Becca (Ellie Kemper, "The Office"), Rita (Wendy McLendon-Covey, "Reno: 911") and Megan (Melissa McCarthy, "The Backup Plan," "Mike and Molly" TV series) and the cast is set for some really funny situations.

The problem is, however, comedus interruptus. Just when we're on the brink of some gut-splitting laughs, the film veers off into unnecessary serious moments. The biggest of which involves a supposed trip to Las Vegas that - literally - goes nowhere. It would have been a great opportunity to have the girls let it all hang out, but all we get is some lame projectile vomit scenes and an explosive diarrhea sequence.

Meanwhile, the constantly beat-down Annie's (Annette Benning in "Running With Scissors" only WISHED she could be this depressing) life is spiraling out of control. She loses her job, is treated like dirt by her love interest (Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"), gets kicked out of her own apartment (by a pair of slobby Australian roommates) and is forced to live with her mother (the late Jill Clayburg).

She does meet a sweet Irish cop, Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd, "Gulliver's Travels," "Dinner For Schmucks"), though, but, of course, she tries to poison that relationship, as well. In fact, Wiig is all over the map here and seems to be trying to play every inmate character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Plus, she's not really very funny, despite being on screen over 90 percent of the time.

The only humorous character is Megan and that's probably because she plays a plus-size semi-lesbian nympho truck driver type. Annie, on the other hand, despite the movie's attempt to justify her violent mood swings, is still someone few people in real life would even want to get close to.

Certainly not the worst film for the "Girls Go Crazy" genre - it's light years ahead of the "Sex and the City" franchise, for example - but needs to focus on just what kind of movie it really wants to be.

At least after 20 years, however, Wilson Phillips still looks and sounds great

If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the best of it

Author: sean leaver from United Kingdom
18 July 2011

As per some of the other reviews, I was expecting the female equivalent of The Hangover. To give you some perspective, I would rather have a hangover than watch Bridesmaids again.

The thing that's puzzling me is who are all these people bigging it up? Are the film makers paying crew, family & friends to vote & review positively? I could understand a few good reviews but not the number that are on here.

If you really want to get the best out of this film, wait 'til it's available on DVD. Or even better, wait until it's broadcast on TV. The best bits are definitely in the trailer.

Pleae don't waste your time & money at the cinema.

Don't buy into the good reviews

Author: (fella-nice) from United States
6 December 2011

It's exceedingly rare for me to see a movie and not be able to recall a single detail afterward. What do I recall about Bridesmaids (2011)? Just the feeling that it was a steaming pile,a waste of time, an affront to script writers and movie-goers. That's it. No scene or chuckle or line comes to mind. This movie was so bad, I doubt it can make it into a cult classic selection for horrible films.

I've seen comparisons to other films, like Wedding Crashers, Dumb and Dumber, and the Hangover. Each of those films had some redeeming qualities. Two of them are in my collection. This film may have been trying to be like those films, but it failed miserably, regardless of the impression I have that the actors did their best. Don't blame them - one may polish a turd forever and just have a shiny turd.

I wouldn't use this film's DVD as a coaster. Seriously. Avoid it. I don't know if some people sincerely like this, or if there is a concerted campaign to keep the ratings up. The metacritic score of 39 is much more accurate, but still generous. The young lady who viewed the film with me agreed.

Who Would EVER Be Friends With This Woman?

Author: mowasteph from United States
12 September 2011

What was all the buzz about this movie? What a piece of crap. First off, no one would ever act like Kristen Wiig's character does...and if they actually did, no one would have anything to do with her. I like Wiig on SNL but her character was 100% unlikable in this. Aren't you supposed to like the lead character? The rest of the characters were clichés. Only Maya Rudolph showed any class. The food poisoning scene was just stupid and gross and not very funny. I thought the Megan character was pretty funny...but on further reflection, only marginally. The guy who played the cop was good. But do you really think he'd like Annie? Run away, Officer! Run away from this loser woman right now! Everyone else...run away from this movie.