IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 50: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Watch it for Wiig, I didn't find anything else worth watching here.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
9 January 2017

Reviewed February 2012

In some ways it reminds me of 40 Year Old Virgin for it's over the top gags, realistic and affecting emotions and an excellently written and performed central character. Through the movie, you laugh, you cringe and you connect. But sadly, by the end of it - you don't care.

Annie (Kristen Wiig) couldn't get her life together be it her love life or her professional. Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is Annie's best friend from childhood who is about to get married and she chooses Annie as the Maid of Honor. Though Annie has the best intentions, everything she plans and tries backfires with some help from the other bridesmaids led by Helen (Rose Byrne) and she loses it at some point which leads to her getting fired. While the entire engagement to marriage episode is panning out, she meets a lonely patrol officer Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) who guides her to sanctity.

It is Kirsten Wiig's show from start to end. I became an instant admirer from her role in Paul and she shot through to the top with this. Few women possess the comic timing like hers and an ability to be cute and awkward at the same time which is so required for these roles. Apart from Wiig and a little from Byrne, by the end I cannot say I have enjoyed it as much as other Apatow's treats.

Watch it for Wiig, I didn't find anything else excellent here.

Wet my pants laughing

Author: Mark M from Australia
15 December 2016

Look out all those girls getting married! One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time! The food poisoning scene is so funny, and the airplane is great! I would love to see these ladies come back to do another Bridesmaids movie - sequel 2! Not to give anything away but the love affair with the Irsh police office was lovely - he was gentle and kind. The ending is great and I couldn't stop laughing or the way though. I love love love this movie.

Annie Walker (Kristen Wiig) is a single woman in her late 30s. Following the failure of her bakery, she lost her boyfriend and her savings, forcing her to take a job as a sales clerk in a jewelry store and to share an apartment with an obnoxious roommate Gil (Matt Lucas) and his sister Brynn (Rebel Wilson). Her business's failure was so painful that she has given up baking entirely. She has a no-strings-attached sexual relationship with the self-absorbed Ted (Jon Hamm) but hopes for something more from him. Her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), is virtually her only source of happiness.

Lillian becomes engaged and asks Annie to be her Maid of Honor. At the engagement party, Annie meets Lillian's bridesmaids: cynical cousin Rita (Wendi McLendon-Covey); idealistic friend Becca (Ellie Kemper); the groom's raunchy sister Megan (Melissa McCarthy); and Helen (Rose Byrne), the rich and beautiful wife of the groom's boss. Helen and Annie, who are jealous of each other's friendship with Lillian, take an instant dislike to each other, but Lillian persuades them to spend time together.

Annie takes Lillian and the bridesmaids to a Brazilian steak restaurant for lunch before going to a chic bridal shop. However, Helen must use her influence to gain entry to the shop because Annie didn't make a reservation. While trying on gowns, the whole party— with the exception of Helen, who chose not to eat before the fitting —becomes sick from food poisoning. Later, Annie's suggestion of a bachelorette party at Lillian's parents' lake house is overruled in favor of a trip to Las Vegas planned by Helen. Worried about her finances and too proud to accept a ticket paid for by Helen, Annie books a ticket in coach although the rest of the party flies first-class. However, the trip is cut short by an outburst from Annie, who had accepted a sedative from Helen because of her fear of flying. The plane makes an emergency landing in Casper, Wyoming; and the party takes a bus back home. Annie apologizes, but Lillian decides she wants Helen to take over planning the shower and the wedding.

Annie continues to hope for a relationship with Ted, but Nathan Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd), a friendly State Patrol officer who had earlier let her off without a ticket for broken tail lights, begins flirting with her. Nathan encourages her to open a new bakery, but Annie refuses. Following a night together, Nathan buys baking supplies for Annie to start baking again. Offended and overwhelmed, Annie leaves. Annie is later fired for being rude to a customer and kicked out of her apartment by her roommates, forcing her to move in with her mother (Jill Clayburgh, in her final film appearance).

Annie travels to Helen's home in Chicago for the bridal shower, which has become a Parisian-themed event, an idea that Annie previously came up with but Helen turned down. Helen also upstages Annie's heartfelt, handmade shower gift by giving Lillian a trip to Paris, an idea Helen stole from Annie. Enraged that Helen has taken credit for the Parisian theme, Annie throws a tantrum. Lillian kicks her out of the shower and the wedding. On her way home, Annie is involved in a car accident due to her still-broken tail lights, but the other driver flees the scene. Nathan is the responding officer, and he admonishes her for not fixing her tail lights and taking responsibility for her life. He storms off when Ted arrives to give Annie a ride. On the ride home, Ted asks Annie to perform oral sex on him. Angered, she breaks off the relationship and walks home.

Throughout the next several days, Annie becomes reclusive, refusing to leave her mother's house and obsessively watching television. Eventually, Megan arrives and gives Annie a pep talk, telling Annie that she must stop blaming the world for her problems and take control of her life. Annie realizes her errors and begins to repair her life, beginning to bake again and getting her car fixed. She tries to make amends with Nathan, but he ignores her. On the day of the wedding, Helen appears at Annie's doorstep distraught; Lillian has disappeared, and Helen begs for Annie's help in finding her. While driving, Helen apologizes to Annie and opens up to her, revealing that people only involve her in their lives because she is good at planning events, but she does not have any true female friends, leading to a reconciliation between them. The two enlist Nathan to help, and he grudgingly agrees. The group finds Lillian at her own apartment, discovering that she ran from her wedding because of Helen's extravagant planning and from fear of leaving her life in Milwaukee. After reconciling, Annie helps Lillian prepare for her wedding.

Annie resumes her place as Maid of Honor. After the wedding, which Annie agrees with Helen is "perfect", Helen again apologizes to Annie and states her hope that they can be friends in the future. Realizing that Annie and Nathan were falling in love, Helen also arranged for him to pick up Annie after the wedding. Nathan and Annie reconcile and the pair ride away in his police car.

Demeaning. No one really behaves this way.

Author: tonik_2000 from United States
9 January 2015

Written by men, obviously. But the part that is sickening is seeing these actresses, a group of intellectually funny women, absorb and accept this script and regurgitate it for the men who wrote it - they may have just bent over for the male writers and the same effect would have been achieved. It makes me sad to see women so subservient to men this way - undignified, brainless. There's a trend going on lately where women are being made to go along with dick and fart humor and act like "one of the guys." This is a manipulation of women by men to further men's various appetites and it's disgusting. The writers seemed to think they had some kind of understanding of women and how women relate to each other when all it resulted in was sounding like what a perverted man wants to hear a group of women talking about. Whatever. You know now that I think of it I don't even know if only men wrote this movie, but that just furthers my point, in my opinion. If women wrote this it is the same as if they took direction and acted in the film. Either way it is male-oriented sick humor and females are not generally involved in this nor do they behave this way unless prompted by someone who is mentally manipulative. This has bothered me since I saw this one so I had to say something.

Shallow, hollow and silly unfunny comedy about the dreadful "wedding" planning

Author: dierregi from Belgium
19 October 2014

It is astonishing to think that this piece of shallow silliness got two Oscar nominations. However, it works very well as an indicator of the sorry state of contemporary society. The story revolves around Annie Walker, a most annoying woman who would be a perfect character for a cheap sitcom.

Annie alleged best friend Lillian is getting married and that horrendously stressing event that is an American wedding must be organized. Countless chick flicks have been there, only to underline how the true meaning of getting married and any shred of happiness are lost in the process of having so much "organized" fun.

In this case, wedding planning is complicated by the presence of new BFF Helen, a rich, good looking woman who is stealing Annie's thunder. Not that Annie has much thunder. She works as a shop assistant, lives with a grotesque couple (in the movie for no reason whatsoever) and is sabotaging her relationships. Despite all this, some sort of happy ending is on sight.

The whole movie is peppered with overlong scenes (Annie on the plane, Annie with flatmates...) scatological language, poop, vomit and vulgarity. Even the late Jill Clayburgh, actress of a certain class, is not spared.

This cringe-worthy movie was produced by Apatow and co-written by Kristen Wiig, who is also starring – and appearing in every scene - as main character Annie Walker.

If you know a bit about movies, this can explain why it is so bad. Apatow is the king of crass, vulgar, unfunny comedies. Wiig wanted to make clear she is the star. Unfortunately, like most female comedians, she seems to think that the only way to make women "funny" is to degrade them. Surely they get plenty of humiliations in this movie, but this does not make the movie funny in any way.

Are chick flicks good movies?

Author: Vaibhav Verma from Chicago
25 September 2014

First of all, I know Kristen Wiig was in her late 30's in this one. But she was absolutely adorable. Her age and attraction actually fit the story really well. Everyone around her getting married - she being left behind. Losing an already low-paying job. Only has a guy who likes her for sex. Any girl would be depressed in her situation especially at her age.

I may be stretching this movie and giving it much more credit than it deserves, but this movie relates to how people grow up with such lofty expectations and ambitions, only to slapped in the face by life. Kristen Wiig's character - Annie - is beautiful, bubbly, spectacular at baking, etc. She probably had a life goal of becoming a world-famous baker and finding a beautiful and rich husband. But she ends up losing her business and having no one besides a rich playboy.

Even when she does end up with the Scottish (or Irish, I can't tell the difference), does anyone in the audience sincerely believe that he deserves to end up with him? He's clumsy and slightly a fool at times. He easily falls in love, because he probably does not get any action either. And he does not even eat the carrot cake when she bakes for him! Eat the cake, policeman! I know it's not donuts, but it looks so, so good!

Anyway, the gist of the story is a story of two girls who have a mutual best friend. One is rich, beautiful, and seems to have her life together. The other is poor, is nowhere close to the husband, and will probably break up with her new policeman boyfriend soon. They become jealous of each other, both trying to one-up each other. They both want to be the singular best friend of the bride, and it's actually quite pathetic to see this social battle take course.

But, it is a decently enjoyable film. Society will probably force you to watch this one day. There are funny moments for sure. But sometimes, you just look at the screen and ask yourself, 'What the f am I watching?' In any case, watch it, try ignoring the absolute ludicrous nature of the events, and just come with zero expectations.

After all. It's only a chick flick.

The worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Billie Welch from Canada
19 September 2014

This is definitely the worst movie I have ever seen by far. The humour was very over-the-top, characterization was inconsistent, character development was lacking or not there at all, and the plot was tremendously sad and "oh-woe-is-me", relationships between characters are confusing or without explanation...

This was set up to be a movie like 'The Hangover' but it flopped big time. I can see where the intention to go was at the beginning, but the writers or whoever decided to go in a totally different direction and make it awful. If you are going to watch this movie, I suggest you pick something else.

Miss this if you can, and I do mean miss it.

Author: royepullen from Whiteley, England
17 August 2014

This is an abysmal film, comedy, no. Cringe worthy, yes. Most of the background characters are better then the headliners. I ended up watching this on my own as the wife couldn't stand it. Some of it was improvised according to reports, I think the whole film was improvised. Most rom-coms, chick flicks or whatever you call them, you can somehow relate to at least one of the characters. Megan did what I wanted to do to Annie all through the film, (Megan was one of the most humorous people in the film). This is one film I will not sit through again, most films I can watch more than once. The puppies gave the most honest opinion, yawning in sequence, that made me laugh because you couldn't train them to have done that. As I said in the title, miss this and watch another film or even read a book.

An uninhibited, hilarious and oddly moving film

Author: brianB-8 from London, England
20 July 2014

Well, what a prudish lot some of these reviewers are! Gloriously uninhibited, consistently hilarious, splendidly tasteless (the staid Financial Times strongly recommended it as "rude" and funny), beautifully acted by the entire talented cast but especially by the leading lady and her copper boyfriend, and often oddly moving. Kristen Wiig has a rare cinematic gift for conveying scepticism, disgust, secret amusement or plain healthy lust with the twitch of an eyebrow, the merest roll of the eyes or the curl of a lip -- acting that would be lost on the theatre stage but is a constant joy on the silver screen, and which contrasts effectively with the extremely well choreographed slapstick scenes. Melissa McCarthy, playing the, er, well-built Megan, initially invites us to dismiss her character as an embarrassing slob and then skilfully brings us round to understand the brave fighter and lonely young woman within: a memorable and courageous performance.

Admittedly not a movie for the easily shocked, but everyone else needs to loosen up a little, sit back, and enjoy it. I didn't want it to finish.

Not that funny

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
7 March 2014

I may well be in the minority here but I thought this movie was mediocre. It's full of crude toilet humour which is sometimes funny but often not. The love story is so-so and basically just forms a bit of background noise for the jokes.

It also paints female friendships in a horribly stereotypical light, i.e., women are bitchy but will ultimately stand up for each other and have a hug.

The main merit of the movie is it's fast pace and the fact it keeps itself ticking along with a few gags. It was an easy watch and I guess if you've got the right sense of humour you'll enjoy it.

Decent female-centered movie.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
23 October 2012

I'm totally not the target audience, but that hasn't stopped me in the past. This movie is long and drawn out, and extremely more awkward than it needed to be. I don't need ten scenes showing Kristen Wiig being awkward to know that she's awkward, just one or two will do. A lot of things happened in the movie and I can't really point out any favorite moments, but I think that Melissa McCarthy's puppy stealing was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. In fact, I might as well say that this was a stellar cast. Kristen Wiig, Rose Bryne, Maya Rudolph, Ellie Kemper, and Chris O'Dowd were fantastic. I was rooting for Rhodes and Annie all the way.

Also, I did like how this movie had a moral, which was be true to yourself and don't try to impress everyone. (And to stay away from Vegas.)