IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 47: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Great

Author: unverhulten from Spain
7 May 2012

This moves is absolutely amazing!It is funny,not typical girl movie which as a guy I would never go and see.Many hilarious scenes,Melissa McCarthy took care of most of those,loved that lead actress wasn't typical clown joking comedian and that she was even sentimental in the movie.Movie actually had a point and talks real friendship situations,how people can hit rock bottom only because of their bad decisions in life.This is one of a few comedies that actually don't waste your time.You have fun and maybe review your life.

I don't believe in sophisticated humor and think that people who find this movie has a lack of it actually have no sense of it.

Just an Honest Review

Author: gina nguyen
19 April 2012

Bridesmaids was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be. If you've heard that "it's the female version of 'The Hangover,' it's true, there's not much more to it than that. I'm not going to rate it one star to "even out the hype" or anything, just give my honest opinions.

Now maybe I'm unfair because I'm not a fan of "rom-coms," I'd take a Tarantino film any day over any kind of chick flick (and I'm a girl), and while this movie doesn't fit that exactly, the ugliness in it, however, was something I just couldn't look past. I don't find it entertaining to sit through women being just absolutely vile and catty to one another.

Take some of the situations out of their context, and they might have been funny. I kept sitting through the movie thinking to myself that if some of these things were to happen to me in real life, it would have been hilarious. Like a friend of mine getting smashed on a plane or a person attacking a giant cookie. These things sound like they would make for great laughs but put them in the context in which they were delivered, and I couldn't even giggle.

And not that someone should act in that way at any age, but these women looked to be about at least 40. The fact that they would carry themselves the way they did was just unbelievable and (hopefully) unrealistic. In general, the characters were either unlikable or unremarkable. The fact that I sat through the entire movie getting more and more annoyed at the way Annie acted definitely score the movie no points.

And as for the humor, no surprise that it's crass. Kinda have to take it or leave it. I'm not too mature to the point where some cheap jokes can't make me laugh, but if that's all you've got, stretched out over two hours, delivered by these women, then no thanks.

All that aside, there's warm, best-friends-forever love moments, the girls work out all their kinks and Annie gets her guy. She bakes again, it's touching. Melissa McCarthy's character made the entire movie. It wan't all bad, truthfully, but for me, was just a one time watch.

Not what I thought it would be

Author: HollywoodVixen90 from United States
15 April 2012

Wow, I had such high expectations for this movie!! But sad to say, I was really disappointed with it. After seeing the previews I thought it would be a hilarious movie similar to "The Hangover". The only funny parts in this movie are basically just the ones shown in the previews. I did laugh at some parts during the movie but it was not gut-busting comedy that everyone had been saying that it was. For example the bridal salon seen was a little funny but I think they took it too far and it kind of got to the point of just being gross. The part where they were doing the toast towards the beginning was just dragged out too long as well. Honestly, if they carried that on anymore I would have probably just shut the movie off then and there. The comedy seems so strained in this movie. They try to be so funny but they just aren't. I am honestly so surprised that so many people found this movie so funny, to me it wasn't. They sold this to moviegoers as a comedy but halfway through it just turned into a chick flick. I am a girl but I'm just not into chick flicks too much and that just really killed the movie for me as well. After the movie started I thought that the rest of the movie was going to be the girls having a crazy, fun time in Vegas, and that's what it was going to be about. But nope not what it's about. Instead, after Kristen Wiigs character ruins their flight the just end up not going to Vegas after all and they just go home and that's when the movie turns into full chick flick mode. I wish they would have went along with the girls going to Vegas. Now that would have most likely been a very funny movie. One other thing I thought weird was that after the whole Vegas scenario, they never show the other 2 bridesmaids. I just thought that was weird. They should have put Ellie Kemper in it more because she's just too cute. Anyways, I am glad that I only rented this movie and that I did not but it because I would be kicking myself right now for wasting my money on that trash. To me this movie was just trash. I don't know why Melissa McCarthy was nominated for an Oscar. I now see why she didn't win. I thought her scenes in this movie were annoying. This movie is indeed overrated. It is also WAY too long for a "comedy". Everything was dragged out way too much in this movie. The only thing I liked was Jon Hamm being in the movie (although he played a huge jerk) because he's just gorgeous. I will most likely never watch this movie again. I give it 3 out of 10 stars.

Funny to watch with friends

Author: Victoria Smit from Netherlands
6 April 2012

This movie is most definitely worth watching. The story is cliché, yes, yet the makes have created something out of it I could laugh at. It caught my attention since the situations are so weird, but created with an eye for details.

I most absolutely loved the actresses,they managed to really be the persons the should be.

This is a movie I would be proud of if I'd created it. I think the makes should definitely be proud, as this is one of the better movies containing the bridal theme. I have seen wedding daze, wedding crashers, bride wars and this movie and I must say this is definitely one of the better ones.

BRIDESMAIDS: Scaring Women from Marriage Since 2011

Author: TheFamilyBerzurcher from United States
11 March 2012

After we are finished talking about the gross moments, the riotous laughter, and a few knockout performances, there is going to need to be a fair evaluation of this movie. I think it is going to be a good one.

There were numerous LOLian moments. The fitting room. The airplane. Air Marshall John. John Hamm. "Hold On." And McCarthy and Wiig turn in some magnificent acting and substance. Wiig does a good job harnessing the propulsion of the movie, even when it becomes a flaw. There are large pieces of material that could be edited out, but Wiig still manages to fill the screen with the same lovable awkwardness that audiences have started to appreciate. One of BRIDESMAIDS' best qualities is the ensemble energy. The women work well together (and the unnecessary material should have been swapped for more time with them) and every character has unique energy. This is exactly what makes BRIDESMAIDS crucial as genre evolution. This level of female ensemble acting in contemporary comedy has not been produced to this extent. It's a marvelous group performance and a big step forward.

The script is owed a certain due. The use of repetition and stop-start dialogue is commendable, but the silence is what drives BRIDESMAIDS. They seem to know every smart-ass retort, but nothing can stand up to silence when they just have nothing to say. It's used very well. The scene where Ms. Wiig makes and eats a cupcake is one of the most arresting examples of loneliness, loneliness amongst everything, that has been recently seen. In fact, Ms. Wiig crafts herself as a repugnant character, wasteful and constantly waiting for pity. Her jealousy towards the enigmatic Helen is taken much too far (even in the film) and, like Woody Allen writing his own flaws into his own characters, here we see an embarrassing character in need of a Rosebud (baking shop).

As the main themes are clearly lined out as "change v. same," we never end up seeing a title bout. There are some apologies and everybody gets to the wedding. But will they be any better off when the sequel comes out? Will Helen still be the clueless self-righteous turd that she is? Will Annie be baking? and not being the most subtly evil twirp that she was here? Maybe we will find out.

Until then, enjoy something very close to Judd Apatow. Enjoy some truly unique comedy coming from a great gaggle of females. And Enjoy seeing girls be girls, cycling through dismay and distaste.

63.232

BridesMaids - Crude, whacky but entertaining

Author: kannan_fifa from Singapore
30 December 2011

Kristen Wig's Bridesmates impresses with whacky incidents and uncommon characters making each scene worthy to watch making you laugh hard. The novelty of the universal theme of jealousy-friendship triangle is conveyed very well on screen. Due to that, it becomes very easily relatable to watch right from the first act of the film.

The big ensemble of cast, notably Kristen and Melissa impress with splendid performances.

The dialogues are crisp, funny but crude to a great extent but eventually works at most instances. However the crude exhaustive conversations at some scenes could stand out to be quite odd. At the downside the last act becomes shockingly cliché and ends like a typical chick flick.

But In overall a great entertaining, stress reliever.

Rating: 7/10

Surprisingly Disappointed

Author: pro-wows
25 September 2011

Well if your a guy this is just another Chick flick just like all the others. Its watchable I Guess but there's nothing really funny about it. Some people compare it to the Hangover but with chicks and its not even close.

What Disappointed me is that right when I thought the movie was going to get Good. It just went back to the same boring chick flick stuff. It stays the same the entire movie. The movie didn't even have a climax or a resolution. I don't know just really bad writing. A Stale chick flick.

Anyways I mean what do you expect its clearly a run of the mill chick flick. A lot of critics point it out being funny even for guys. But I Don't know my girlfriend is really into chick flicks and even at the end of it she said it really wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be.

I give it a 6 because maybe its acceptable for females. The whole thing just feels amateur and uninspired. Trying to ride off of what hangover was but missing everything good about that movie.

Not that great

Author: pat54 from United States
24 September 2011

Another bride movie. Some laughs, but generally hard to watch. The way the heavy girls were portrayed was ridiculous. Both heavy women were played as bizarre with very few social norms. Why did they feel the need to have the heavy women be the weirdest characters? What does this say about the writers/producer/director? A little weight-phobic? I say don't waste your time with this movie. Potty humor? Really???? That's the best they could do? The main actresses gave good performances with a few laughs. The best scene in the whole movie was the scene of one woman trying to get arrested. The other scenes of disruption seemed contrived and not very real. I watched it to the end just so I could have some closure, not because I cared about the characters that much.

Two part movie

Author: dvernb from Canada
9 September 2011

This movie is approximately 2 hours and 5 minutes long and can be divided into two distinct sections.

At first I thought this was one of the most boring and stupid movies I ever saw in my life and was going to leave it several times. I managed to suffer through it (barely) and then at the 45 - 50 minute mark something happened.

There was a scene in a bridal gown store that was absolutely hilarious! The movie was hilarious from that point to the very end. I laughed my ass off!

Sitting through the first 45 - 50 minutes of tripe won't be easy but if you can manage it you won't be sorry. The remainder of the movie more than makes up for it. Pity the movie couldn't be that funny all the way through. I'd have given it a 8.5 for sure!

Worst movie I've ever seen

Author: Fahad Khalid from United Arab Emirates
19 August 2011

If i would like to describe the movie in 3 words then it would be "Irritating and awful" I'm actually surprised to see the rating. I actually forced myself to complete the movie hoping that it might be worth it, but i wasn't. Kristen Wiig was simply irritating. She acted superbly but Her character was stupid and lost through out the movie or i should say that about the whole script. And just to have a happy ending things were sorted out without much effort from her. This is one of those movies that would give the worst meaning about Life and especially Women. Best moments are the one which had Melissa McCarthy in them, she was hilarious. Maya Rudolph actually looked ugly though she acted well i guess. She was not at all the right person for the bride.