IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 49: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Not all that funny...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
27 December 2015

I picked up this movie solely because of Melissa McCarthy. I had initially expected a bit more fun and laughs than what the movie actually delivered. For a comedy this movie was disturbingly devoid of laughs and hilarious situations. I actually only laughed once, and that was during the food poisoning scene.

The story is about a competitive duel between two bridal maids at their best friends wedding.

The cast in "Bridesmaids" was quite good, and despite the lack of comedy in the movie there was some good comedian names on the cast list.

"Bridesmaids" is a comedy intended for a female audience first and foremost.

The lack of comedy was what ultimately brought this movie down into mediocrity for me. And as such, I am rating "Bridesmaids" a mere five out of ten stars.

I wouldn't say I'm proud to have seen this movie :)

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
21 December 2015

I am not embarrassed about it either, well I had heard that this was fun and it might add up to being the female version of The Hangover.

To some extend this is the female version, but it is also a British version, meaning that many of the jokes and the humor in general are more British, this isn't a bad thing at all, I love British humor but sometimes it gets a little to far out.

This is a good and funny movie, but at times it tries to hard to make it funny and that ends up in scenes that are too much or over the top. It works in the small comedy shows, but on the big screen we don't need these brother and sister landlord parts or the one where they all occupy the restroom in different ways after food poisoning, well enough about that.

All-in-all it is fun and entertaining, has great characters, funny sketches and great acting.

Awesome comedy

Author: emmamontgomery-92140 from United States
23 November 2015

I can honestly say that I did not have any interest to see this movie, but at the initiative of a friend who was quite interested I've found myself watching this movie and I can say that I was very surprised. "Bridesmaids" is for me a hilarious comedy, absolutely suits my sense of humor. What surprised is how well written the characters are, they have an excellent development through the course of the film, especially our main girl. Next to the great formed characters is quality acting, Kristin Wiig. I would like to single out also Melissa McCarthy which is in every scene totally unpleasant but at the same time hilarious. I can say that the "Bridesmaids" is extremely funny, vulgar movie, which, unlike the classic comedies dominated by a female cast, the actors are represented as complete fools. Definitely a refreshing comedy which I recommend.

sickly sad never a comedy!

Author: francisco899 from United Kingdom
12 November 2015

I have to confess that I was very exited about watching this movie so you can imagine my surprise that the movie starts and continues with women feeling sorry for themselves and complaining about everything under the sun. During the whole movie I had a feeling of running away. In few occasions where a joke was presented, it was of such bad taste that makes you cringe. Horror: Sharknado is much better that this. Imagine "The Hangover" with "The Inbetweeners" characters transformed into female characters and bitching right left and centre, having rows with each other. There is not a single line, scene or emotion you could extract from this movie. I am always appalled by what goes in the producers minds when they decide to spend millions of dollar in such rubbish! Couldn't they see that it is a bunch of garbage with some not so bad looking actresses and scenery! Runaway! I mean, The runaway bride is much better (even though I'd score it 6).

Bridesmaids

Author: armbritt from United States
4 October 2015

"It's coming out of me like lava" is just one of the many hilarious quotes that is said throughout this film. The 2011 comedy, "Bridesmaids", directed by Paul Feig is a one of a kind. This motion picture comes alive with the outstanding writers of the movie, and because of the strong, relatable characters. "Bridesmaids" is not a "chick flick". It is created and filled with humor for both genders. But while most raunchy comedies are made for men, this film is about women, made by women, and fills a much needed genre for women. If you want to a good laugh this is the movie to watch.

What is there not to love about a wedding and dealing with bridesmaids? This comedy stars Kristen Wigg (Annie) who is a single women living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Annie's bakery just took a dive and she does not have much left besides her mom (Jill Clayburgh) and her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph). But then things get even more strenuous for Annie when Lillian becomes engaged to a very wealthy banker and asks Annie to be the maid of honor. With this role, Annie is introduced to her fellow bridesmaids. She meets Lillian's cousin Rita (Wendi McLendon-Covey), her friend Becca (Ellie Kemper), entertaining future sister-in-law Megan (Melissa McCarthy), and the one and only Helen Harris (Rose Byrne). Annie and Helen create tension with one another the first second they meet which creates drama with humor tied in to the whole movie.

The writing of this film is very original and brings the whole show to life. To start, Bridesmaids is written by two creative females which is very rare for this genre of film. These females are Kristen Wigg (who plays Annie) and Annie Mumolo. These two talented ladies have expanded the range of female-driven comedy and have set a new standard for all female writers. It proves that females can indeed be raunchy in the mainstream too. Female film writers are not too common in today's pop culture, but these two create a new female empowerment movement, and have broken down barriers for female writers in Hollywood. What makes this movie so well written is the balance it has between honest romance, realistic tension, and entertaining comedy.

"Bridesmaids" comes alive because of the strong characters that display extraordinary performances. Melissa McCarthy nails it in this motion picture. McCarthy keeps the jokes coming throughout the entire film and her humor is something that both genders can enjoy. From her saying "I'm glad he's single because I'm going to climb that like a tree" to as previously stated "It's coming out of me like lava!". McCarthy's character comes alive because she puts her whole self into the character, and is not afraid to let loose. The physical comedy that she exudes is constant, but never over the top.

Should it be seen? Of course. If you are looking for a good laugh, this is the right movie to watch. Director Paul Feig, and writers Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo have created an amusing film that most females cannot do. They found actresses like Melissa McCarthy to make this movie come to life with her personal touches and creative humor. Due to the raunchy jokes and outstanding characters, "Bridesmaids" is a hilarious, must see movie.

not good enough

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
9 September 2015

Annie is preparing to become a maid of Honor at her best friend's wedding, while watching her life scrabble apart and her friend being taken from her by Helen, an other bridesmaid. The movie supposed to be funny and romantic, but it wasn't. Really, it wasn't. The jokes were overplayed and the romance was sooo typical, you could actually make out what will happen from the first scene of them together. Annie is messed up, a time bomb ready to explode, which she eventually does in the end in the most tragic way. You might have been able to understand her, if the script made an effort to give more depth to the character other than their superficial background stories. So 2 out of 10.

Laboured and unamusing

Author: Tim Little from United Kingdom
14 August 2015

As a middle-aged Englishman I admit that I may have come to this late and am highly unlikely to have formed the target demographic. I will also admit to finding Kristen Wiig very attractive and genuinely funny .... in other things.

Having said that, this is overlong and pointless. The humour is as subtle as a sledgehammer and, at points, just unpleasant. The characters lack charm to say the least and the whole concept of 'showering' this, that and the other is lost on me.

The largely female cast are a disparate variety of ludicrous characters and I felt unable to feel empathy or interest in any of them. The male characters are largely there to make up the numbers and are similarly limp and creepy.

Without any meaningful storyline, it came across as a series of unfunny sketches concerning a pathetic, sad single woman approaching a certain age feeling sorry for herself and being nasty to her 'friends'.

It drags on and on - lots of self-examination and navel-gazing, tears and the predictable making-up and clichéd ending.

Charmless, graceless and such a waste.

A clever and sincere comedy with heart and wit

Author: Screen_Blitz from United States
13 August 2015

From the amazing producers of The 40-Year Old Virgin (2005), Knocked Up (2006), and Superbad (2007) comes a hilarious and clever romantic comedy about love and friendship. Kristin Wiig plays Anna, who thirty-something year old woman living in unhappy life after breaking up with her boyfriend. When her best friend Lillian (played by Maya Rudolph) announces she is getting married and asks her to be her maid of honor, Anna is determined to make it the best days of her life before her wedding. Things however, don't quite go planned as Anna leads Lillian and her friends in a series of wild misfortunes. Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph's co-stars include Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Ellie Kemper, Rebel Wilson, and Wendi McLendon-Covey.

Like many Judd Apatow's comedies, Bridesmaids is a comedy filled with both heart and hilarity, but plenty of crude humor. While most of his films feature primarily male characters and focus on the friendship between them, this one features a large female cast and centers on the misadventures these women face while trying to prepare for a special day for their friend; and the cast is nothing short of fantastic. Melissa McCarthy brings the life to the party with her witty one- liners and insane hilarity. Unlike in the typical Apatow-fare, this film takes advantage of scatological humor aside from the vulgar sex-fueled gags. Normally this type of humor is a recipe for disaster in comedies, this film however, uses it in a way that it clever and funny without being overly gross or appalling; which is quite surprising mainly due to the fact this deals with female characters. A great example would be the scene in the bathroom at the dress store, a scene when you would react in disgust but laugh hysterically at the same time. Aside from the humor, the film also carries a heart-filling message about friendship and what it means to love someone. So the film does have its dramatic moments, but ultimately it meant to be funny and entertaining.

Bridesmaids is so far one of the best comedies of this decade, and I am confident that this will go down as a classic in the next ten years. While this film is targeted towards women, guys will very likely get as much fun out of this as women.

Hilarious as promised

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
14 July 2015

Well I finally caught Bridesmaids and it was as hilarious as promised. Just a great movie; totally infectious, laugh-out-loud humour from a genius all female cast. This is one of those guy comedies (Bachelor Party, Hall Pass, The Hangover) but with these girls and storyline it transforms into a bit of a chick-flick while also leaving free reign for the gross out gags, hilarious humiliation and crazy situations.

The characters are diverse, well developed and although the story's not all that unique I did find myself engrossed and even kinda moved watching Kristen Wiig's downward spiral of shame -mostly by her own making. She plays a devoted maid of honour here who struggles to put her financial and romantic woes aside as she attempts to plan the perfect wedding for her best friend. And she's awesome.

No need for me to mention any of the fantastic and hilarious scenes as everyone knows them already (wedding dress shopping). One of my personal favourites though would have to be Wiig trying to get Officer Rhodes attention in a series of drive-by's (speeding, drinking, rapping, flashing). Hilarious.

Chris O'Dowd was such a great addition to this cast, I really enjoyed his character and the whole love interest storyline he had with Wiig. Shout out to Jon Hamm's opening love scene too. 5/10/15

Funny but Lacking Broad Male Characters.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
8 June 2015

Bridesmaids (2011): Dir: Paul Feig / Cast: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Chris O'Dowd, Melissa McCarthy: Amusing comedy counterpart to The Hangover about friendship. Kristen Wiig opens the film within a failing romantic fling. Her bakery went out of business, and her best friend is engaged and choosing her to be the maid of Honor. That would be great except that her other close friend in charge of planning the event, is mugging to the point of competing with Wiig. Director Paul Feig does well with a comedy that proves that females can be funny too. Wiig is hilarious in a much deserved lead role that has her go from best friend to victim of competing foils particularly on a plane trip that has her a little trippy. She does encounter romance with a cop, but ultimately she must learn that not everything is about her. Maya Rudolph plays Lillian the bride who is a witness and victim to the competing bridesmaids to the point where she disappears. Her best scene occurs during a food poisoning situation that has her sprint into the street in her wedding dress. Rose Byrne is a fine actress and as rival Helen she is introduced as a threat to Wiig and then it is back and forth as she always one ups her. Their reconcile is no surprise. Chris O'Dowd is another funny comic but as the police officer who pulls Wiig over he is reduced to nothing more than a predictable romantic fling. Melissa McCarthy became a big breakout star through this film and receives many of the funniest lines despite her role being strained to weight clichés. Strong theme regarding timeless friendships and uniting new ones make this wedding worth attending. Score: 7 ½ / 10