IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 49:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Terrible

Author: nineofthirteen
14 May 2015

Everyone dubbed this one as top 50 (or even 10) romantic-comedies OF ALL TIME. I don't get it. I honestly don't. Firstly the characters are gross, and secondly I don't see a story at all? And lastly I dislike Annie to a certain extent that I don't want to root for her. I'd love a movie of self-actualization mixed with comedy and romance, but the comic relief in this film is ridiculous and instead of laughs I get second-hand embarrassment, the bad kind. I don't see how this warrant as a good film, it has none of the elements that makes up a good film.

Total waste of my time.

And there's not even a good score.

Just horrible.

Author: lancer3000 from United Kingdom
12 July 2011

Contains spoilers.

I'm not even going to give this film the time. Some parts were genuinely funny I'll admit, I count two, maybe 3 but that's pushing it a little. I felt embarrassed for the characters, not laughing with or at them, they were characters that you couldn't really empathise with as literally no character development was made where you felt like they didn't deserve their struggle. There was no common sense in this film, the acting was limited, no genuine feelings were felt. Even when they were shitting in the street I thought oh well this is a movie. I wasn't immersed or lulled into the films story or characters. Thats it. 'Nuff said. Good bye, and try not to kill yourself while watching this. I had suicidal tendencies. No joke.

Yes this review is very one sided but I have not seen one good thing. The only character that I found half real was that government working women who likes puppies and bear sandwiches, and that was only the part when she shoved life in Annie's face and told her what her common sense should have told her in the beginning of the film.

Really?! People love this movie?

Author: TheCreatureFeature from United States
16 December 2011

This finally arrived in Netflix and I'm so very glad we didn't actually spend any money on it. The BF and I watched this movie and at two separate parts, we literally stopped the DVD, looked at each other and said, "This is really the movie everyone was talking about this summer? Do we even want to keep watching it? Does it eventually get better?" We continued on and we kept waiting for that "scene/point" of the movie when it suddenly hit its' stride but that never came.

The sole focus is not about a group of girls partying before a wedding but really about how much the main character's life sucks. I feel like we were supposed to be laughing at her misfortunes but it all came across as pathetic and made me feel depressed more than anything else.

The only highlight was Melissa McCarthy's character; but,as I already stated, it was hardly an ensemble cast movie about the group of "Bridesmaids". I would have loved to have seen more McCarthy, Kemper and McLendon-Covey. They are all fantastic comedic actresses that stroll in and out through the movie; but, (aside from McCarthy) are characters with no real substance.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the incredibly bizarre sub-plot with the roommates.

Gross and Unfunny!

Author: dougandwin from Adelaide Australia
18 April 2013

I had to brace myself to sit through this Film, as I had read some reviews that actually had praised it, and it was a very long two hours to endure what has to be described as one of the most sleazy movies I have yet seen. The attempts at humor mostly concerned pooping/farting/belching and vomiting, so if that is anyone's idea of a comedy then this is for you! The Wedding shop bathroom scene was the most distasteful of a bad lot, while the Airplane sequence was so unbelievable and overlong, and the other so-called "highlight" was the "hens' do" that was so badly staged and overacted that the most predictable ending could not come quick enough! I was so sad to see such a great actress as Jill Clayburgh having to lower her standards to take a role in this disaster.

Love Hurts

Author: piratecannon from United States
26 December 2012

Let's be honest: when we saw the first trailer for Bridesmaids, who among us didn't think it looked like a dismal rehash of The Hangover (only this one, of course, features a "ratpack" of women)? Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that Bridesmaids is better than The Hangover. I have yet to see The Hangover Part 2, so I can't comment on any similarities/differences that might or might not exist. But one thing is for sure: Kristen Wiig has proved her worth as a female lead with a serious amount of comedic clout.

The story isn't revolutionary: one of two best friends is getting married, and everything involved with said nuptials is threatening to tear their lifelong friendship apart. At the center of this battle is Helen, a newly acquired "friend"—via the merging of two exclusive social circles—who begins taking over the wedding plans for Lillian (Rudolph). Annie (Wiig) makes it her mission to take out this she-devil, and what follows is the setup for one of the more memorable meltdowns (among a plethora of other things) to come along in quite some time. Bridesmaids is also peppered with the sort of humor that made movies like Superbad and Knocked Up so funny—it's observant and kitschy in that it rightly jabs several other films that have braved similar issues. In fact, the previously mentioned Hangover is, in at least a very minute way, one of these movies. In what initially appears to be a sad "bow" to The Hangover as king of the pre-wedding funnies, the girls decide to go to Vegas for Lillian's bachelorette party. This ends up being a perfectly welcome curve ball, though, as screenwriters Wiig and Mumolo brilliantly utilize the length of the plane trip to said destination to further flesh out their characters and create an impressively humorous string of in-flight mishaps.

There are a number of other contributors who make Bridesmaids work extraordinarily well, but, as is the case with any solid piece of cinema, it's best if you set aside some time to take in the whole thing in one fell swoop and let it unravel of its own volition. Sure, it's extraordinarily raunchy from time to time, but the nuanced, perfectly- timed moments of comedic genius make it a very worthwhile trip.

Absolute Dross

Author: maxcottle-1 from United Kingdom
13 January 2012

Bridesmaids

2:10 mins of teeth itching drivel. I enjoy a good comedy i really do. this wasn't one it was desperate, obvious and weak. So much talent in this film to many really talented comedy actors and actresses and yet it was an effort to sit through it. Cheap Cheap jokes, vomit, pooh and schoolgirl competitiveness. Worst comedy since the mister Magoo film, Scooby doo or Dennis the Mennis. Baring in mind that they were all rubbish children's films. What irks me is all of the review on IMDb and all of the adverts that lead me to download this dross EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE RUBBISH!!!!

What I don't understand is how it rated so high on IMDb if i could give it a negative number is would and it would be in the high double figures.

I don't get this movie.

Author: Karen Cat from United States
28 September 2011

Having heard how funny this movie was, I bought the DVD and was very sorry I did. I bought it thinking it was going to be a female "Hangover" and it wasn't. The humor in it was very crude, which isn't something I really care for. If you like fart, puke, and poop humor, you will probably love it.

I thought the previews were very misleading. It it is basically about a woman going through a really bad time in her life, and we are all supposed to find that funny. I didn't.

Sure, there were a few funny parts, but not that many. Many scenes just left me feeling "icky".

I Love Kristen Wiig!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
17 May 2011

Kristen Wiig is the only reason I wanted to see this movie, and she is insanely hilarious! (She'll go down in history with Lucille Ball and Gilda Radner) Of course, it had more great actresses such as Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendi McLendon-Covey. There were a lot of hilarious and disgustingly awesome jokes. Wiig plays Annie, best friend to Lillian who is about to get married. Annie is asked to be the Maid of Honor and becomes jealous of Lillian's new rich friend, Helen. Throughout the movie, Annie slowly goes crazy and constantly competes against Helen. If you want a good decent comedy, you'll love BRIDESMAIDS!!!

Complete pants

Author: davek28 from Birmingham, UK
19 November 2011

There should be a film classification which restricts admission to people UNDER a certain age. In the case of Bridesmaids it should be restricted to under fifteens. That's about the level of humour of this film. Despite the good reviews it's actually a pile of inane, predictable, juvenile rubbish.

I really wanted to like it, but it was just embarrassing. I felt no sympathy at all for any of the characters. If I enjoyed slapstick and gutter humour I might have liked it better. Every "joke" was stretched out beyond its limits. Overall, a painful experience.

This is a final line of text to get past IMDb's silly restriction on too-short reviews. Bridesmaids is still rubbish.

couldn't make it through the whole movie

Author: smurf197 from United States
28 August 2011

So I was pretty interested in seeing this movie, in the past I've been a big Judd Apatow fan and I like the idea of a female-centered comedy. I was excited when I saw the great reviews, which made it watching the movie especially disappointing.

The movie was a pretty painful experience. It is filled with uncomfortable/awkward moments from jokes being dragged on too long, for example the toast at the engagement party (which I fast forwarded through when I couldn't take it any more)as well as fart/vomit jokes which I can't believe continues to appear in so many movies. Overall, the movie seems to paint a negative picture of women. I was surprised that this was written by a woman, it basically portrays women as sad, unable to function with out a man, catty and superficial. Anyway, can't speak for the whole movie given that I turned it off half way through, but I felt the need to write to save others the time.

Page 2 of 49:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]