IMDb > Bridesmaids (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 46: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Truly a funny film which follows in the footsteps of The Hangover.

Author: I B from Mars
2 June 2012

For those wondering if this comedy delivers the laughs the answer is yes it does. The humor keeps on coming, and this is perhaps the funniest film I've seen in the theaters this year. The setups are actually good, and almost every scene ends up being funny. I have to mention that this isn't a romantic comedy though there is some romance on the side. Apart from the bridesmaids I thought that the characters weren't well developed. The film is often raunchy but it has a sense of realism that's believable. Bridesmaids is similar to The Hangover (2009) and other films that followed. The difference is that this film stays true to life with scenes conveying different emotions that are very believable. In this sense the characterization is some of the best that I've seen in comedies. The film mirrors modern society very well, and it doesn't hide from weird and harsh realities. Kristen Wiig is fantastic in the lead role. Like I mentioned before, however, the supporting characters aren't the film's strength and scenes between Wiig and Chris O'Dowd were not something that I enjoyed. The scenes with the bridesmaids on the other hand were very enjoyable. To sum up Bridesmaids is an original, touching and enjoyable film. I definitely recommend seeing it.

I Must Have Missed Something

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
22 October 2011

Bridesmaids (2011)

** (out of 4)

Annie (Fristen Wiig) finds her life falling apart all around her once her business goes down the drain. Not only that but she's stuck with two horrible roommates, has no money, a crummy job and is in a relationship with a guy who wants one thing only. Annie thinks everything is about to change when her lifelong friend announces she's getting married and wants her to be the maid of honor but soon Annie finds herself battling with one of the bridesmaids. I'll have to admit right now that I'm really not sure what all the hype was about. I'm sure some might say that the humor just escaped me because I'm a male but I think that would be tad bit unfair. I mean, I'm sure plenty of women enjoy male-buddy movies so I really don't think ones sex should matter. I had really high hopes for this comedy but throughout the movie it just seemed like I kept waiting for something funny to happen. There were a few scenes that had a smile on my face but there wasn't a single time where I really laughed out loud. I think the biggest problem I had with the comedy was that it was just so forced and so fake that not for a second could I find it funny. Just take a look at a sequence where the women are shopping for dresses after eating at a restaurant. They end up getting food poisoning and need to rush the bathroom but there's only one toilet with three women fighting over it. This is the gross-out scene that all R-rated comedies must have these days but it doesn't work. Also, there's a scene later in the movie where the group is on a plane and Annie, the only one stuck in coach, ends up getting the plane landed because of her actions. I won't spoil what she does exactly but once again it's just so over-the-top that you can't take it serious or laugh at it. I found the entire story to have wannabe touching scenes but none of them worked because they were just so corny and by the numbers. I mean, is there anyone alive whose not going to see the ending coming? The one spark in the film came from Chris O'Dowd who plays an officer who starts a relationship with Annie. I thought the quieter moments between the two were the best parts of the film and it's a shame they didn't have more of it. With all of that said, BRIDESMAIDS is still an easy film to sit back and watch. It's certainly not horrible but I just think it should have been better. Considering it was a huge hit obviously many people loved it but I'm just not one of them.

Disappointing...

Author: Dfreed6366 from United States
13 January 2013

My wife and I had heard how funny this was... Not sure what we missed but we did not find it funny, and kept waiting for something worth watching. The plot was weak and it was a bit vulgar. Somehow they were able to teleport between Chicago and Milwaukee, although this was not critical to what little plot there was, I was never quite sure which town they were in. The apartment living was odd in that it seemed out of place, but much of this movie was that way. Interesting enough I had not read reviews until I wondered if I missed something only to find this appears to be a "love or hate" movie. By he way, this is not a chick flick per se, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to couples.Wish I had something more positive to say, but painful would be my summary.

Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Author: george florea (gflorea@comcast.net) from United States
26 May 2011

Kristen Wiig does a good job, but tires on you eventually. If you like some of her SNL work with insecure characters overwhelmed with anxiety that climax in awkward moments and dialog- this movie is full of them. However, as they say, too much of a good thing starts to become not so good. although I liked the character, it just was too much too often. The movie also has some parts that start off funny, but wear on you because of how long the scenes are stretched out (i.e.. the speech at the first party). Too repetitive a shtick in too lengthy of intervals. Also, Maya Rudolph is under utilized considering her comedic presence.

As far as the overall comedy in the movie, it's a real stretch. I like funny gross stuff just as much as anyone else, but when you crutch the majority of the movie just on that element of humor it loses its appeal. It seemed like every other scene had a gross sexual overtone. Using some real comedy (situational, wit, dialog...etc) as opposed to relying on puke and crap would have helped balance the movie better.

The most laughs of any film in recent memory

Author: Jim Beller from Rockville, Maryland
14 May 2011

I can't say enough good things about this film. My wife and I were laughing out loud almost continuously throughout the entire film. I never realized from Saturday Night Live what an enormous talent Kristen Wiig is.

The supporting cast is also excellent, especially Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, and Chris O'Dowd. The supporting actress who really stole a lot of our attention was Melissa McCarthy (Molly from TV's Mike and Molly). Her performance was completely uninhibited and frequently, fall in the aisle, hilarious. However, the scene outside the bridal shop with Maya Rudolph will be the one you will long remember after the movie is over.

This is not a chick flick although it does star very talented women and the men, except of Chris O'Dowd, are mostly secondary. If this film is not an enormous hit, it will be because of men who refuse to see it. For those men who can enjoy a movie that doesn't include over the top action, you will be rewarded for seeing this film.

My wife and I enjoyed Hangover very much and this film will be compared to it. Some time has past since we saw it so it may be unfair to compare it with this film that is so clear in our minds. However, we both think this movie is even better than Hangover. If you're not a prude, we strongly recommend you seeing this movie.

Raunchy Chick Flick

Author: MBloodT from Philippines
26 July 2011

Most chick flick comedies are usually unwanted by many people because of their childish and mostly caricatured humor and their escapist love stories. But when Apatow and Paul Feig tries to save this genre, it's still has its chick flickness but it has a realistic and full of heart storyline. The film has its raunchiness. It's hilarious throughout. Bridesmaids must be the best comedy movie of the year so far, and one of the funniest chick flick comedies ever.

First goes to the actors. Kristen Wiig's is a brilliant comedian. Her craziness and charisma really made the show aside from the humor. Maya Rudolph gives a lot of heart to her role. Melissa McCarthy has the best parts and she nearly steals the show. The rest of the cast did a great job to this film.

Bridesmaids is not as generic as the other female comedies existing. The story isn't really that original but it portrays in a realistic way. Not quite realistic but it's not an escapist love story where the main girl is perfect human being but a loser. Aside from the love story plot, the parts when she is being jealous to her best friend's new friend. There's mixed emotions and comedy to those scenes. Paul Feig knows how to put humor plus heart perfectly in a comedy film.

The humor is written by clever writers even the star of this film. What we expect to this film, it's hilarious throughout. The raunchy humor and some toilet humor mixed with heartfelt emotions and awkwardness. It's (obviously) one of the merits of this film.

Most people say this film is like The Hangover but with female cast. The Hangover is more clever but this one is more hilarious and more heart than you expect. The performances plus the hilarious humor, this film is easily one of the funniest female comedies ever although it's unnecessarily long but it's undeniably enjoyable(even if you're a guy).

Maiden Voyage

Author: john-phelan-54-476537 from Silver Spring MD
14 May 2011

I should have known. After seeing Ms. Wiig's appearance on "The Daily Show," during which she admitted having to buy and consult a book on "how to write a screenplay" prior to creating "Bridesmaids," I still went ahead and shelled out the money for a ticket. And, as I suspected, the movie came off as a less than sure collection of scenes trying desperately to inflate a plot.

And don't get me wrong, some of those scenes are hysterical. But this movie doesn't know what it wants to be, and so suffers from the same malaise that afflicts the lead character, Annie: drift.

I believe Kristen Wiig has better material in her future. But she's got to move from the neat form of sketch comedy to the more challenging, and longer, form of feature film with her storytelling talents intact.

Truly one of the worst movies of all time

Author: Jodihotchkiss from United States
28 May 2011

It's sad that we've come down to the idea that comedy has to be vulgar, crude and about sex! Movies like this insult the intelligence of anyone above the age of 12. DO NOT make the same mistake I made by wasting your money and over 2 hours of your life by supporting this movie. I suggest sticking your head in a toilet bowl and flushing it repeatedly instead! You have to write 10 lines in order to get your comments posted, this is a hard thing to do when there is nothing good to say about something so bad. Some of the scenes in this movie are down right disgusting especially if you our eating. Most of the men in the theater were looking at their phones hoping that time would leap ahead so they could find a building to jump off!

Sold itself as a Hangover for the girls, but both sexes will enjoy this comedy

Author: Adam Foidart from Winnipeg
11 January 2015

"Bridesmaids" is uneven at times but there are a lot of laughs and a lot of heart present too. My problems with it are that some of the gross out humor feels out of place and most of the jokes that don't work are related to some kind of body function. There are times where movie feels like it's being something else instead of just being itself. Thankfully, most of the gross-out jokes are dropped (along with some of the excess characters) a third into the film and it starts to focus more on the leads, their relationships between each other and the humor that is generated when everything starts to go wrong right before the wedding. It isn't perfect but once it gets going you'll appreciate the genuine relationships on the screen. You'll laugh a lot and it will amuse both men and women. (On DVD, March 30, 2012)

Demeaning. No one really behaves this way.

Author: tonik_2000 from United States
9 January 2015

Written by men, obviously. But the part that is sickening is seeing these actresses, a group of intellectually funny women, absorb and accept this script and regurgitate it for the men who wrote it - they may have just bent over for the male writers and the same effect would have been achieved. It makes me sad to see women so subservient to men this way - undignified, brainless. There's a trend going on lately where women are being made to go along with dick and fart humor and act like "one of the guys." This is a manipulation of women by men to further men's various appetites and it's disgusting. The writers seemed to think they had some kind of understanding of women and how women relate to each other when all it resulted in was sounding like what a perverted man wants to hear a group of women talking about. Whatever. You know now that I think of it I don't even know if only men wrote this movie, but that just furthers my point, in my opinion. If women wrote this it is the same as if they took direction and acted in the film. Either way it is male-oriented sick humor and females are not generally involved in this nor do they behave this way unless prompted by someone who is mentally manipulative. This has bothered me since I saw this one so I had to say something.