Bridesmaids (2011) Poster

(I) (2011)

498 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Likes_Ninjas9026 June 2011
Annie (Kristen Wiig) is a lonely woman who works in a jewellery store and shares casual sex with Ted (Jon Hamm). She is still reeling after her bakery closed during the recession. Her best friend that she's known for years is Lillian (Maya Rudolph). Lillian announces that she's getting married and that she wants Annie to be her maid of honour. Annie is initially excited but then realises that she will be alone again. Worse still is that Lillian is using four other women to help organise the wedding, including the dominating Helen (Rose Byrne), who she met less than a year ago. Helen and Annie compete furiously to outdo each other on the wedding plans but its Annie and her relationship with Lillian which comes off worse. Adding a little bit of joy to Annie's life is patrol officer Nathan Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) as they start to slowly connect.

'Oh my God! You're getting married!' If you enjoy this kind of shrieking, along with references to various bodily functions and wedding parties so extreme they'd make royalty look mild, you will like Bridesmaids. As someone who does not have any interest in these things I found Bridesmaids to be a film of two halves: the first appalling and the second not much better. It's been directed by Paul Feig, under the watch of producer Judd Apatow and many have touted this as a female version of The Hangover (2009). Although the misdirection of the comedy could be pinned on Feig, the film was already on shaky ground because of the screenplay written by Wiig. She co-wrote the film with Annie Mumolo and was also one of the producers herself. Wiig has a background in variety programs like Saturday Night Live and for worse, it shows. Somewhere the rules of comedy have been forgotten. Comedy must exist in reality. Humour is funniest when we can imagine ourselves in similar, plausible, situations. There are very few scenes in Bridesmaids that feel honest or genuine. Too many moments play out like extended skits, stretching plausibility with unsophisticated humour and little concern for developing theme. This movie is so desperate for a laugh that if it nudged you it would have broken a rib. I took zero pleasure from watching women defecate over a sink, vomiting on top of each other, or becoming boozy on an aeroplane.

If these situations weren't distasteful enough, smaller moments are undone by dialogue that lacks subtlety. Some lines of dialogue, like when Annie talks to customers in the jewellery store, are ridiculously blunt when they should have been loaded. It weakens the credibility of the characters and flattens the humour because we know people don't talk like this. Though taste in humour is subjective it's difficult to ignore the image problems rising in modern comedies. A lot of rom-coms, including this one, are pushing a social view that if you are fat, single or unmarried, you are weird, low in confidence and a failure. Wedding parties in films are also now so extravagantly realised that they have become a measure of success and social approval. Bridesmaids continues many of these trends, taking every chance to deprive its characters of dignity. That is until Annie can find the ridiculously nice Irish bloke. In the second half, the film at least tries to give Annie a recovery after hitting rock bottom but its views of friendship and renewal are simplistic and predictable. Like a lot of the film, Wiig's comedic performance is so annoyingly exaggerated that it saps any chance of realism. But Chris O'Dowd, as one of the film's few likable characters, is mercifully restrained. A lot of women will see this because it gives them the rare centre of attention in a raunchy, mainstream comedy. But is this really the best Hollywood can offer? If there's a Bridesmaids: Part II I'm sending a non-acceptance card.
161 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm seriously confused.
chicka9115 May 2011
OK. After seeing the previews of this movie, it was added to the list of movies I did NOT have any intentions of seeing. However, I heard so many great things about it, I decided to give it a try. Let's just say, my gut feeling was correct. I have NO idea what so many people found so amazing about this movie.

It's not that funny. Yeah, there were a couple of scenes that I found humorous, and chuckled. However, most of the "funny" scenes were either involving sex, about sex, about poop/vomit/farting/burping, or a lame attempt at slapstick humor. Lots of predictable cheap shots. Seriously, no sophisticated or classy humor... the whole film made me feel trashy, honestly. I get that it's rated R, but still. I felt like I was in an adult version of an equivalent to Spongebob at times.

Small plot. This movie is slowly stretched out for over 2 hours, with a plot that could easily be explained entirely, with all important scenes, in about 30 minutes. There were SO many long scenes that seem to be thrown in just so Kristen Wiig can score another laugh, yet they don't progress the story. Quite a few plot holes, and there were many scenes where I caught myself rolling my eyes, thinking, "really?"

The greatest movies develop their characters so much that you literally feel for their outcomes. I left the theater with no regards to any of the characters in this movie, because they were all so distant and under-developed. The plot was so weak and rushed for the next pointless comedy spiel, that they didn't give the characters any depth, except maybe the lead of "Annie." I can think of 2 memorable scenes right now from this film, and I saw it last night. Yeah, there were some funny scenes, but nothing worth raving about in my opinion.

I do have to give "Bridesmaids" some credit. An all-female leading role movie is very new in show-business, especially in comedy. Sadly, these women made the "Hangover" equivalent instead of raising the bar, but they get Kudos for the efforts. There were some sweet moments in the movie, that for me, held the film from turning into a complete waste of money. I do like comedy, but I prefer classier, witty humor instead of the easy, thoughtless humor. I would much rather watch a movie that evolves a character so much that the cheap shots aren't needed for laughs. If you liked "The Hangover," then you'll probably enjoy this movie..
441 out of 766 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I am a guy, and I liked this movie
chronic_elite18 May 2011
I saw the previews for this movie and thought to myself, wow this seems like the female version of the HangOver. While it was not along the same plot as the HangOver, it was about the moments leading up to the wedding. At first I looked around the theater and noticed it was 95% women and I started to feel like I had made a mistake. But by the end I was pleasantly surprised that there was a lot good humor involved. Some of it would be considered guy humor, but actually had all the women in the theater laughing their asses off. There is a bit chick flick element to it between the main character and a guy, but it is such a small part of the movie that I would say it's about 85% comedy and 15% romance/chick flick. So as a guy, I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie. Most of these types of movies are about guys making complete asses out of themselves and you almost never see the same from women. Hollywood always likes to make women seem perfect, but you see women making crude remarks about their own genitals and it's nice to see that women can be funny in this regard as well. I think this was a great movie for female humor, because I have long thought that comedy was dominated by male actors and I am just waiting for some women to jump in there and start paving the way. Good job on this movie!
199 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uggh!
rcoss200124 June 2011
I wish I had read the negative reviews posted here prior to seeing this waste of time and money. The plot was a muddy, hackneyed, meandering mess, the acting mostly so-so, and the subject matter includes graphic depictions of diarrhea and vomiting. If that's your thing you'll love it. All of the funny scenes were in the trailers. The protagonist was such a whiny loser I kept hoping that someone would bump her off.You know there's a problem when your "bad" girl comes off looking like a nicer and more sympathetic person overall. Anything that was supposed to be a joke or a funny situation was hammered home with a 15 pound sledge hammer- and then repeated! This movie took over two hours to get to a place it had no business ending up, I.E. a happy ending for Annie. Her "redemption" was way too little, way too late and was contrived as hell. This movie is now my new standard for really bad, bad waste of film. My wife wanted to see it based on trailers and the mostly good reviews. She had to cover her eyes during the bathroom scenes and found the whole movie to be one of the absolute worst she has ever seen. If you must waste $20 bucks(roughly two tickets) take a $20 bill, shred it in a food processor, then flush it down the toilet. Do this while eating popcorn and you'll have the same overall feeling of having seen this movie.
102 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible
nineofthirteen14 May 2015
Everyone dubbed this one as top 50 (or even 10) romantic-comedies OF ALL TIME. I don't get it. I honestly don't. Firstly the characters are gross, and secondly I don't see a story at all? And lastly I dislike Annie to a certain extent that I don't want to root for her. I'd love a movie of self-actualization mixed with comedy and romance, but the comic relief in this film is ridiculous and instead of laughs I get second-hand embarrassment, the bad kind. I don't see how this warrant as a good film, it has none of the elements that makes up a good film.

Total waste of my time.

And there's not even a good score.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A hilarious and surprisingly touching comedy
AntoNEO21 April 2011
My friends invited me to a preview screening of Bridesmaids last night, and I accepted the invitation with a sense of cautious optimism. The trailer for the film admittedly didn't do much for me, but I was intrigued by the concept of a female-driven Apatow film. Ultimately, I went into the theater with modest expectations, hoping to get a few good laughs out of it.

By the time we came out of the theater, my three friends and I had smiles plastered across our faces, and we couldn't stop talking about the film for the next couple hours. We all loved it. I think it easily ranks with the best of the Apatow productions, and it might even be my personal favorite. Like all of Apatow's productions, there are admittedly scenes that arguably go a little too far or a little too long, but that's a small criticism when the film successfully fires on so many other cylinders.

To start with, the film is hilarious, and I think the comedy far exceeds the standalone bits shown in the trailer. Scene after scene is filled with humorous and often sidesplitting moments, and they had the theater in an uproar during the screening. I can't say enough about Kristen Wiig. Prior to this, I've always liked her to some extent but never really loved her. I think she's good at what she does, but I wasn't sure her shtick could sustain an entire film. Would her passive aggressive wit get old? Is it the only note she can play? Can she handle anything more dramatic? Ultimately, she blew me away in this film. Not only is she consistently and uniquely funny, but her character is surprisingly well-developed, and Wiig brings the character to vibrant and dynamic life on-screen.

And this brings me to my next point about Bridesmaids: the film has a surprising amount of depth that completely caught me off guard. Bridesmaids isn't a quickie 80-minute gag fest by any stretch of the imagination; it's actually a leisurely paced 2-hour character-driven comedy that takes time to develop its characters and establish the various relationships and resultant conflicts between them. Ultimately, the film ends up being quite heartfelt and even rather sad in places. Despite the over-the-top antics shown in the trailer, the themes that the film explores are actually quite grounded. Kristen Wiig's character is someone who is feeling completely let down by life, which is a place we've all been, and the personal journey of her character resonated strongly for me. While her character is easily the most well-developed of the bunch, even the other bridesmaids ultimately show some three-dimensionality as well, despite the fact that they are sometimes initially introduced as two-dimensional caricatures.

Ultimately, Bridesmaids was one of the most enjoyable comedies I've seen in a long time. It's certainly not perfect: it could probably do with some editing, there might be a few too many subplots (some of which are left unexplored), and it arguably goes too over-the-top at times, but everything else about the film works so well that these complaints are little more than nitpicks. While I applaud everyone involved in the production, it is Kristen Wiig who deserves the most accolades. As co-writer and lead actress, she plays a huge part in the film's success, and I sincerely hope this film puts her on the Hollywood map, as I would love to see more from her in the future. Whatever the case may be, Bridesmaids certainly makes for a successful maiden voyage for her into the world of feature-film comedies.
191 out of 345 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the movie the television ads set me up for....
Mccadoo16 May 2011
Let me begin by saying that I'm a man and that I went to see this movie with my wife, not under duress, I was looking forward to seeing it. Let me add here that in an almost full theater I counted four other men in the audience which would lead me to believe that I was definitely not the target audience for this movie. That being said, my wife didn't like it either, she actually disliked it even more than I did.

All of the television promos I saw led me to believe that this was going to be a female version of "The Hangover", it wasn't, not even close. Which leads to my first problem with this movie, the advertising campaign was very deceiving. Pretty much all the funny scenes in the movie were included in the advertisements. What they didn't show was a very formulatic, been done a dozen times, chick flick about BFF's and wedding's gone wrong.

I will say that the funny parts of this movie, and they were few, were very funny; the scenes on the airplane were good, and when Annie was trying to get the cop to help her find Lillian. And...that was pretty much it, except for most of Melissa McCarthy's scenes with the exception of the one during the credit roll which was just kind of sick. The rest of the scenes that were meant to be funny either went on for much too long, were bizarre or crude instead of funny or were just strained. A good example of strained was the bridal party all dancing at the end of the movie, it didn't look natural or funny or like anything but a bunch of actors having been told to dance around and try to look like they were having fun, some, like Rudolf and Wiig very badly at that. If you have zero rhythm and can't dance, don't put a dance scene in your movie. One example of bizarre was two of the bridesmaids just deciding to make out on an airplane, for no discernible reason. Did Ms. Wiig think the guys in the audience would just enjoy seeing woman kiss?

The rest of the movie was an overlong, strained attempt to make a funny and touching movie all in one that failed at both. Some other major problems I saw; The scene near the beginning of the film in which Annie and Helen try to top one another at the announcement party went on and on and on way past the point where it was funny and to the point were it became tedious and even uncomfortable to watch. In fact many of the scenes in the movie were like that, they just didn't know where to stop.

Kristin Wiig's character, Annie, progressed in the movie from being likable and funny to just being stupid and annoying. The scenes were she sabotaged the wedding plans, either intentionally or unintentionally, also ran way too long and were sad and annoying instead of funny. Ms. Wiig needs to learn that sometimes, especially when the material is weak to begin with, less is more.

And while this may sound mean and petty I have to mention it because I kept noticing it over and over during the movie; Maya Rudolph is just not an attractive woman and was just wrong for her role in this movie. She was not believable at all, either as the bride to be or as the main characters best friend or as anything else. She is probably a fair sketch artist but she does not having the looks or the acting chops to carry a movie.

All in all a disappointment, firstly because we were snookered in by a misleading advertising campaign and secondly, because the movie tried to be two things at once and failed miserably at both.
142 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kicks butt
randy4970-21 May 2011
The most laugh-out-loud moments I've witnessed in a movie theater since There's Something About Mary. This should make Wiig a star -- and she deserves it (she has a Meg Ryan quality). The rest of the cast is hilarious also.

This isn't a formula film. The scenes are way longer but you won't notice (because you'll be laughing so hard). They're much richer and funnier because they're given time to unfold.

I'm a guy. I went in with no expectations and came out with a big smile. This is a female driven film (and women will love it) but guys, don't be afraid -- you'll love it too. You won't "look away!" (a joke you'll get after you see the film).
142 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sad not funny
KathND19 May 2011
I am a bit surprised at the other reviews for this movie, my college aged daughters were eager to see it and our family found it more tragic than anything else, especially for the lead character. Both daughters said they felt more like crying than laughing and wanted to see something else to "cleanse the palate" before calling it a night. Kristin Wiig is very talented and will likely follow up with more movies, but we found her character too sad, in an age where lots of young people are unemployed, underemployed or going bankrupt. A lot of the humor was gross - I guess we don't find mass diarrhea in wedding clothing that funny. We found Melissa McCarthy particularly unfunny and almost painful to watch.
52 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie really stinks!
nhershfield28 May 2011
I don't know what you folks and the reviewers have been smoking! This was the most embarrassing movie my wife and I have ever seen. "Dumb and Dumber" was a 10 compared to this fiasco. Let me count the ways it sucked. 1. The stomach flu scenes in the bathroom and on the street were an absolute embarrassment. 2. Everything about the flight to Las Vegas was stupid. 3. The first boyfriend was an imitation in and out of bed. 4. The bride who let everyone make the decisions for her. 5. The deal with the giant cookie. Have I said enough? If I could have, I'd have asked for my money back. I cannot remember when I last saw such a bad excuse for humor. My wife agrees 100% with me.

This wouldn't even qualify as a B Grade movie in our opinion. The only actors who did any good were the main character, the cop, and the fat lady. The bride had no depth to her character at all. She simply sat there like a bump on a log.

We generously give this movie a 1 out of 10.
114 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why do people like this?
pearberr2 July 2011
This movie had reputable and well-liked actresses and staff (I am a big fan of both Wigg and Apatow). This movie had a good budget for a film with no action sequences.

However, I will list, for as long as possible, the reasons why this movie sucked Air Marshall cock sandwich.

1) Expectations: Don't make a movie and advertise it as Hangover with girls unless you are ready to deliver. Hangover was fast-paced and crazy with unexpected plot-twists and turns around every corner. This was a leisurely comedy. The movie was like a chick flick, but with jokes and poop. I should note that I came into this movie excited and with good expectations.

2) The Lack of Characters: Who was the focus of this Hangover with women movie? The maid of honor, who's life just got worse and worse throughout the film. The bride, who was a cardboard cutout placed into random scenes and referred to by a name. An actress would have been nice in that role. There was also the super-rich and fake girl. None of those were original. The other three characters, the ones who could have made the movie interesting and who I looked forward to seeing more of when they were introduced, but then they did nothing at all. In Hangover, the husband (The boring one in the group) wasn't even around (Because he was boring), and the movie was constantly doing gags and jokes with the three remaining characters. This made it good. In Bridesmaids, the funny characters remained on the side and played no role in the movie (This made the movie bad...).

3) Comic Relief in a Comedy? Why were the British siblings there? There is NO need for Comic Relief in a Comedy unless it really, really sucks. In which case, any comic relief you attempt to add is most likely also going to suck. Even if you liked the movie, this was stoopid.

4) The Formula. In a pity-fest funny movie, things need to start hitting the upswing between 1/2 and 2/3 of the movie. This movie went 100 minutes before the main character turned her life around, and then ended 25 minutes later. The best movies break from the formula... for instance, Groundhog Day follows this same formula. However, this movie was already breaking the script when it decided to have 6 women make a funny movie. It should have stuck to the script the rest of the way through or else it risked sucking, which it did.

5) The Pace. Here is another case where they did not follow the formula. Comedies don't have to have a great story... however, let's not pound the audience in with a chick-flick. Try to cover up the fact that this is a standard chick-flick with jokes and fast-paced humor and do not let the pace drop bellow that of a High-School Prom Queen speech. This will make the audience think about the story... which was a standard chick- flick script.

6) Feel-Good Ending. The jokes do not end in a comedy until the credits roll. Just because the main character is happy again, doesn't mean you take the humor from slow to stop. Oh, and flirting, dancing and a stupidly over-the-top wedding do not count as funny.

I guess this movie could be funny for some people. Stupid women who have never seen stupid-man-comedy before may have liked it. Stupid men who didn't realize this was stupid-man-comedy because there were some hot chicks in it (Some...). And even stupider men who like the stupid-man- comedy probably liked it. Otherwise, this movie sucked. I really can't describe it any other way. It just sucked. Badly.
49 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Judd Apatow meets Wedding Crashers meets The Hangover, with females!
refocusedlarry27 April 2011
This movie is hilarious fun. My wife drags me to one chick flick a year in the theater, and I'm glad it's this one. Considering the talent involved, I expected something more than meets the eye after seeing the trailer. However, I was not expecting such a hysterical experience. This is a chick flick for dudes... the anti-chick flick "chick flick" if you will.

What I loved about this movie is that although you get a sense of the heart and charm, it's not afraid to pull any punches just because the characters are female (the scene in the bridal shop will be the topic of much discussion, I assure you). I also loved the cast, lead by the always awesome Kristen Wiig. She was perfect in this role and I hope she does more work like this. She can make me pee my pants with laughter, and then straighten me right back up in a matter of seconds.

I also loved the pacing of most of the film. Several scenes had just the right amount of awkwardness or pause or "beat" that really added an extra element of hilarity. There were several of those scenes where the audience was collectively cracking up, almost violently so. People were wiping tears from their eyes and still relaying jokes back and forth to one another as they filed out of the theater.

Anyway, guys, trust me.. make this the "chick flick" you surprise your girl with and take her to the theater. You won't regret it.
169 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just horrible.
lancer300012 July 2011
Contains spoilers.

I'm not even going to give this film the time. Some parts were genuinely funny I'll admit, I count two, maybe 3 but that's pushing it a little. I felt embarrassed for the characters, not laughing with or at them, they were characters that you couldn't really empathise with as literally no character development was made where you felt like they didn't deserve their struggle. There was no common sense in this film, the acting was limited, no genuine feelings were felt. Even when they were shitting in the street I thought oh well this is a movie. I wasn't immersed or lulled into the films story or characters. Thats it. 'Nuff said. Good bye, and try not to kill yourself while watching this. I had suicidal tendencies. No joke.

Yes this review is very one sided but I have not seen one good thing. The only character that I found half real was that government working women who likes puppies and bear sandwiches, and that was only the part when she shoved life in Annie's face and told her what her common sense should have told her in the beginning of the film.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
House Bunny, Step Aside.....
potterj29 May 2011
I never thought it possible, but "Bridesmaids" proves you can create a worse, more cringe-inducing film than the "House Bunny" (it may even compete with the Jackass franchise, and oddly, on a major portion of its own turf). I left before it was over, and only stayed long enough to see if some nearby, later scene could possibly be any worse than those I had endured already (a thought that was most vivid as we concluded the scene at the dress shop and I tried to imagine something worse than the fat bridesmaid's performance at the sink). Mission accomplished in the very next scene (as the bride made it to the curb). I had the distinct impression, observing my fellow theater goers in stitches, that I was participating in some deleted scenes from "Idiocracy". No such luck, as this actually happened.
56 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Puts most modern comedies to shame
mdnobles1914 May 2011
This is like a big slap in the face to all the lame chick flicks out there as of now and a breakthrough, star making leading role for the brilliant and hilarious Kristen Wiig. I have never seen a comedy in a long time that was as consistently funny and I mean laugh on the ground with tears coming down your face funny as well as touching and for once genuine characters that you can relate to and have an instant, believable, bond and chemistry on screen that makes the ongoing crazy shenanigans all the more effective and hysterical. The showstopper, scene stealing, laugh riot Melissa McCarthy was fantastic and no wonder has her own sitcom and she should host or be apart of SNL or something she is so freaking funny I almost wet myself! Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig should make more comedies together and are much better than Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were in Baby Mama, they are a comedy dream team and the rest of the cast is the cherry on top. The movie goes through typical issues from the average chick flick like jealousy, insecurities, narcissism, cat fights, self-doubt, self-pity, self-destruction you name it but it deals with those is a more honest, realistic non sugar-coated way that was refreshing and smart from the norm and raises the bar so high for chick flicks (which is more anti of that anyways) and comedies in general that I personally can't see any comedy this year or in the future surpassing its comedy greatness, it's golden!!! Overall if you were waiting for a movie that will truly make you laugh harder than you ever laughed before in the theaters in a long time your wish has been granted, wear depends just in case because you might need them. Highly Recommended! The most satisfying comedy in the past decade that I never wanted it to end and forget about the overrated The Hangover and its unnecessary sequel and bring on Bridesmaids 2 already! 4.5 out of 5 stars.
133 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gross and Unfunny!
dougandwin18 April 2013
I had to brace myself to sit through this Film, as I had read some reviews that actually had praised it, and it was a very long two hours to endure what has to be described as one of the most sleazy movies I have yet seen. The attempts at humor mostly concerned pooping/farting/belching and vomiting, so if that is anyone's idea of a comedy then this is for you! The Wedding shop bathroom scene was the most distasteful of a bad lot, while the Airplane sequence was so unbelievable and overlong, and the other so-called "highlight" was the "hens' do" that was so badly staged and overacted that the most predictable ending could not come quick enough! I was so sad to see such a great actress as Jill Clayburgh having to lower her standards to take a role in this disaster.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Complete pants
davek2819 November 2011
There should be a film classification which restricts admission to people UNDER a certain age. In the case of Bridesmaids it should be restricted to under fifteens. That's about the level of humour of this film. Despite the good reviews it's actually a pile of inane, predictable, juvenile rubbish.

I really wanted to like it, but it was just embarrassing. I felt no sympathy at all for any of the characters. If I enjoyed slapstick and gutter humour I might have liked it better. Every "joke" was stretched out beyond its limits. Overall, a painful experience.

This is a final line of text to get past IMDb's silly restriction on too-short reviews. Bridesmaids is still rubbish.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Base unfunny childish fart and vomit joke of the worst simple American humour.
jacko0725 June 2011
I gave it a go, but didn't make the end. Mind you, when I left the Cinema the youngish over made up tattooed audience were sounding like a pack of hyenas raiding a hen house. Will this rubbish be a hit in the UK, probably will as we seem to gone down the road of laughing like hyenas at stuff that is not funny. Maybe it a hysterical reaction to how dumb and how bad the Hollywood film industry is these days. I am annoyed that I paid good money to watch this rubbish. Do not believe the hype surrounding this awful rubbish.

The women in this film are as truly disgusting as it gets, if you like simple hackneyed rubbish about vomit, bodily functions and all that simple morons find hysterical you will die laughing. I thought I'd died and gone to hell!

Plenty of great humour comes from the USA but don't waste your time or your money on this rubbish.
43 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Trying too hard to make you laugh...
Erin5 October 2011
When I saw the previews, I wasn't interested in this movie. My husband was planning on taking me to this movie for our 5th and I am so pleased didn't. It's been about 5 months since this came to theaters and I finally sucked it up and watched it, only to realize I was right about how awful it would be.

I assumed it would be one of those movies where the only funny parts are the ones you see in the previews and I was right.

The first thing that I found cheap, tacky and unoriginal was the overweight woman was disgusting. Melissa McCarthy played an adorable and beautiful Sookie on Gilmore Girls, so to be reduced to a farting blob that can't be sure if she's farting or burping, is pathetic. And i couldn't tell if she was a masculine lesbian or not. She acted like a man, but was attracted to men which made no sense.

This movie is full of disgusting scenes trying to be funny rather than actual humor, much like the "Scary Movies".

Neither Paul Feig, Kristen Wiig, nor Annie Mumolo had a creative bone in their bodies or an original thought in their heads. The bridesmaids dresses are hideous, even though these days most brides choose nice dresses to make the whole wedding look nicer; bad dresses aren't so common anymore. They all get food poisoning, and the entire bridal shop scene is vomit worthy. The maid of honor, surprise-surprise, is upset about still being single so she shrugs her duties as MOH. And as always, if you don't have anything worth while, win over the audience with sex and profanity.

The movie was the most unsophisticated you can get, so far, but lets give people a chance to beat it. It's not funny is disgusting and so implausible that you'd have to be an idiot or drunk to find it to be a quality comedy.

The only funny part was... In conclusion, I'm sure this movie is hilarious to its target audience of teenagers, adults with lower than average IQs or viewers that are high or drunk. It may be for viewers of Jersey Shore and Jackass, not viewers of Jeopardy.
23 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really?! People love this movie?
TheCreatureFeature16 December 2011
This finally arrived in Netflix and I'm so very glad we didn't actually spend any money on it. The BF and I watched this movie and at two separate parts, we literally stopped the DVD, looked at each other and said, "This is really the movie everyone was talking about this summer? Do we even want to keep watching it? Does it eventually get better?" We continued on and we kept waiting for that "scene/point" of the movie when it suddenly hit its' stride but that never came.

The sole focus is not about a group of girls partying before a wedding but really about how much the main character's life sucks. I feel like we were supposed to be laughing at her misfortunes but it all came across as pathetic and made me feel depressed more than anything else.

The only highlight was Melissa McCarthy's character; but,as I already stated, it was hardly an ensemble cast movie about the group of "Bridesmaids". I would have loved to have seen more McCarthy, Kemper and McLendon-Covey. They are all fantastic comedic actresses that stroll in and out through the movie; but, (aside from McCarthy) are characters with no real substance.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the incredibly bizarre sub-plot with the roommates.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't get this movie.
Karen Cat28 September 2011
Having heard how funny this movie was, I bought the DVD and was very sorry I did. I bought it thinking it was going to be a female "Hangover" and it wasn't. The humor in it was very crude, which isn't something I really care for. If you like fart, puke, and poop humor, you will probably love it.

I thought the previews were very misleading. It it is basically about a woman going through a really bad time in her life, and we are all supposed to find that funny. I didn't.

Sure, there were a few funny parts, but not that many. Many scenes just left me feeling "icky".
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A comedy? Really??
dtaber-218 September 2011
It is by far the worst movie I have seen this year. And I seriously do not understand why is it labeled as a comedy? 80% of the movie it is plain sad. A sad sad movie, about a girl who is miserable. She is lonely, broke, and is loosing her childhood best friend. Between a series of humiliating situations the director decided to add some jokes, or situational gags. I have to admit, a couple of them were funny. But apart from those, we get 2 hours and 10 minutes of a woman being miserable. She is more miserable than Dr. House during hist stay in the mental hospital and after Cuddy dumped him put together.

The only good thing about this the role played by Chris O'Dowd, who is funny and convincing. Too bad, there is only about 25 minutes of him in that 2 hour 10 minutes worth of continuing sadness and misery.
63 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
how awful can it get?
rugg-121 December 2011
I was listening to NPR (YES, the highly cultured NPR) and two of the movie reviewers on the air had this turkey in their top ten list. Now, this might say more about how bad the other films of 2011 were, so I will be generous and not attribute the entire blame to the reviewers. After hearing how funny and "unique" this film supposedly is, I went out and rented it for a good laugh. No laughs. Lots of cringing embarrassment at how these women humiliate themselves. Awful stereotypes. Bad writing. Really unattractive protagonist. I mean that both in terms of personality and in terms of appearance. Wiig looks anorexic in this film, nearly getting lost in the bridesmaid dress she wears, AND what about her hair? (Sorry to be so superficial, but it bugged me throughout. I mean, COMB it already.) I found Chris O'Dowd charming, but it is as if he wandered into the wrong movie. And this was written by women? It is so insulting to women -- to the heavyset "closet lesbian" (as another reviewer called her) to the poor poor little rich girl Helen to the wacky mother who goes to AA for the social aspect etc etc. Please spend your precious viewing time on something else if you haven't already been hooked into watching this catastrophe by misguided critics or friends...
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I GLADLY walked out mid-way
good-decision4 July 2011
Speak of self-pitying, self-indulgent, some seriously confused women in their forties acting like they are still teens. if this stuff entertains you, it bores the heck out of me. Of course this is NOT a romantic comedy. It's neither romantic nor funny.

By mid-way, there was nothing happening except a long string of silly incidents that if you throw away half the movie, you will still understand the rest!!! You don't realize you are watching a shaggy dog story till you think to yourself "hang on a second, did I just pay 8 Pounds to have some OLD nagging strangers nag in my ears for the 80 minutes I was there??? But half my friends can do that for free!!!" I found the movie disgusting. All in all, I think the kids sitting behind me laughed like 5 times in the one hour and a half I stayed there. After that, when the only seemingly sane woman in the movie started to act all doodly coodly shoodly shitey shah.. I ran. I wanted to go out long before that but I felt bad i spent all that money on that sack of potato of a movie.

Guys.. is this what you find attractive in women? If not then why is Hollywood bombarding us with all those zombifying characters for? When I saw the trailer, I thought "boooring". Then I was in the mood for going out Monday eve (tonight), so I decided to check out this website. Somebody on here (don't let me catch you anytime soon whomsoever you are) wrote that this is the comedy of the year and it's ten time better than the trailer. Not sure if he was talking about THE trailer, or he was referring than going to the movies is better than staying in the trailer. Judging by the quality, I take it he meant the latter.

If this indeed is the comedy of the year, it seems I am gonna be saving a lot of money NOT going to the movies.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great comedy!
peace549114 April 2011
My husband and I went to a screening with few expectations because lately the comedies have been awful. We were very pleasantly surprised! The three main characters were developed very well and their relationships were portrayed very believably. Maya and Kristen grew up together and Maya is getting married. A new friend has taken over, which upsets Kristen. She is not in a good place at the time and needs Maya, who is not available like she had been in the past. We haven't laughed out loud so much in a long time, but you do feel Kristen's pain throughout the movie. The bridal salon scene is absolutely hysterical and people were still talking about it on the way out of the movie. Don't miss this one!
66 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this