IMDb > "Fringe" Fracture (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 23 of 100 Episodes | Next »

Back to Bagdad

Author: XweAponX from United States
19 May 2012

IN this episode Fringe Division deals with the slightly off-Kilter Colonel Raymond Gordon, played by Stephen McHattie. This guy is by far one of my favourite people Fringe Division has ever dealt with. In his mind, he is merely fighting an enemy that is intractable.

He's got an agenda, against some guys who are carrying briefcases around all the time. Wants to blow them up. But rather than using Bombs to do it, he's using ― Human Beings.

"They told you I was crazy, didn't they? The Pentagon. They said I'd had a psychiatric break."

McHatties Voice delivers an ending Monologue with deft seriousness. But it requires Peter and Olivia to take a trip Back to Bagdad - Where Olivia first met Peter - To find out why a man apparently shattered like a glass goblin.

Walter finds evidence of subcutaneous injections on the remains of Officer Daniel Gillespe - When Olivia and Peter question his wife, Olivia gets a headache, of which she was forewarned by Sam Weiss. While recovering in Mrs Gillespe's bathroom, she sees a bathroom tile misplaced, behind which was hidden some promising looking vials of chemicals and some injection apparatus.

Walter rapidly sees that this goop is merely the catalyst - There is some kind of triggering mechanism.

But all of the anti-EMP devices and other anti terrorism devices in the terminal where Gillespe exploded, including the video playback of the event, were all affected by some kind of electromagnetic wave.

Walter injects a Watermelon and causes it to explode by subjecting it to a High Frequency Wave, which was a source of great amusement for Walter who is giggling like an errant schoolboy. But not Astrid. "No More Fruit" she scolds Walter.

Meanwhile, Captain Diane Burgess is shown waking up in the night and injecting the same fluid into her foot, which crystalizes temporarily. The next day she is accosted by Gordon in a parking lot of a shopping center and is "Re-Activated" by Gordon, who tells her "Tin Man Parameters are in effect."

While in Bagdad, Olivia and Peter are learning what "Project Tin Man" was - A radical cure for a bio weapon used in the recent war, which had deadly side-effects. And Gordon wants to use these side effects to kill the people who are toting the briefcases.

"I told them what I'm telling you. That they are here. Collecting data. Making observations. That's what's in the briefcase. They've been planning for war. And they've been passing the information via courier right under our noses. We don't know who they are. But I can tell you what they want. They want to exterminate us. And what's in these briefcases will destroy us all"

While Gordon "narrates" this little soliloquy, we are shown a man in a long coat with a briefcase, entering the restaurant where Observers are eating hot spicy foods with whole shakers of pepper added. September receives the briefcase and enters a code.

The Briefcase contains a picture of Walter.