IMDb > "Sherlock" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sherlock"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Sherlock" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Absolutely Loved IT!!!!!

Author: ellynwestbrook from United States
19 December 2010

I must admit I was apprehensive about this show at first. I am an avid Sherlock Holmes fan, have read all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories over and over again. But after the first few minutes I was hooked. The only downside is that there are only three episodes out so far. I can't wait for more!!!! Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are excellent in this show. It works! They pull it off perfectly without losing the essential qualities of the characters. To all of you out there who love a great mystery you will love this show. Fast paced, believable and funny. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time. Good work to all involved, it's wonderful!!! The Game Is On!!!

Sherlock isn't quite as brilliant as... Sherlock

Author: nelsonuwg from United States
27 September 2012

Admittedly, I have read the Sherlock stories (and their predecessors the Auguste C. Dupin mysteries of Edgar Allen Poe) and thoroughly enjoyed them. In fact, I believe it was Anthony Horowitz, the author of the first Sherlock Holmes novel authorized by the SACD estate who said that a Holmes mystery should be so complex in its simplicity that when the "answer" is finally revealed, there is a sense of satisfaction in the elegance along with the feeling that "I should have seen that", but DIDN'T.

Sadly, in these episodes I DID see that... sometimes half an hour to 45 minutes before the end and even more depressingly, before Holmes.

In fact, on two occasions I found myself saying "oh, I know the answer", nodding off for 20 minutes and awakening to find that Holmes was just now discovering the culprit.

If you consider yourself "clever" and like the stories for the puzzles they offer, you won't enjoy the show as it offers none. If you're interested in it for the homage it pays to SACD and his characters, then it's a fun reimagining, if sadly dumbed down for modern audiences.

Season 3 downturn

Author: Trent Glover from Boise, ID
27 January 2014

The season 2 finale was as well done as any television episode I've ever seen. Perhaps it's partly my expectations, but I really think all the hype influenced the creators to "Americanize" the production. Subtle humor has been replaced with overt gags. The social awkwardness that seemed to be beyond Holmes capacity to maneuver, seems to be more of something he can turn on and off at will. The stories lack the depth and intricacies I've come to expect. Life used to be what happened between cases. Now life events are taking front stage and cases are snippets. Little mystery, few plot twists, no edge. Still entertaining, but nowhere near as impressive as the prior 6. If I wanted American television, I'd watch American television.

Series Three - Disappointing, Self-Indulgent, Underwhelming

Author: Leandra Shields from United States
23 January 2014

I have been an extremely loyal fan of the show since its debut. Series one and two of Sherlock convinced me of its 10-star quality. It was intelligent, witty, well-paced, subtle, and with the best spots of black humor and humanity. Series three has been beyond disappointing. As each episode premiered, I was praying that it would get better. That the show could somehow revert back into the quality themes and writing of the first two series. This never happened. The writers seem to be over-indulgent, sloppy, and hectic during the third season. Devoting time to slapstick comedy, dead-end plots, endless plot holes, erratic case scenarios, and irrelevancies. Most disappointing of all was the lack of any case akin to series one and two, lending the focus on to the main characters. If this had been done with elegance, it could have been delightful, but the completely solipsistic studies turn the charm of the subtle emotional reveals of series one and two into constant barrages of overdramatic declarations, and a light treatment of grief, death, torment, separation - the emotional aspects that actually needed to be handled. I feel as if I am watching an entirely new show, and it is one that I am disinclined to keep up with.

This is the Bomb!

Author: catscribe from Canada
11 December 2010

I have read every Sherlock Holmes story multiple times, so I am very familiar with the characters and the original stories. I am blown away by the ingenuity of this series (hoped-to-be series). Who would have thought Sherlock could be plopped down in the 21st Century, not just totally intact, but attuned to cellphones, computers, GPS? How cleverly this beloved character has been remodelled whilst retaining his 19th Century charm. I cannot rave enough about this engaging, fast, intelligent dialogue, plot construction and beautiful filming. Amazing. The actors are already so embedded in my mind as the true characters, they cannot possibly be replaced! (Excellent, Excellent Casting!!) I've TiVo'd the three episodes and have to be content with watching them over and over.

Please, please, please, give us more!

Overwrought and overrated

Author: Alan H
5 February 2014

Sherlock is is an enjoyable show, owing largely to the source material and general structure of Conan Doyle's stories.

But there is *so much* that is annoying about this show:

- The extremely repetitive, annoying, blatantly manipulative score. It's impressive to have created a musical score that is more aggravating than a laugh track, as has been achieved here.

- The extreme caricature of Sherlock's personality, which is wholly out of proportion from the original character of Sherlock Holmes. The result is a sort of lack of empathy for the character, like the look-at-these-dorks "humor" of the American show Big Bang Theory.

- Absolutely gratuitous special effects. Many shots look like cheesy Instagram photos, with completely unbelievable (post-production, illogical) blurring. A scene at a celebration involving confetti gets Matrix-style Bullet Time 3D pans — why? No reason. No reason at all.

Despite each episode being the length of a feature film, no episode, if considered independently as a movie, would ever make a list of 100 or even 1,000 best movies. If Sherlock is going to ask so much of our time, it should use it effectively, to explore interesting ideas and challenges. I believe it declines to do so.

At its core, the show is very cheap entertainment — *not* art. It lacks ambition and it lacks taste.

Sherlock Holmes shines because of the great plot, the interesting setting, the soundtrack, and the actor.

Author: hyewon eom from South Korea
15 June 2015

Brainy is the New Sexy : Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes (that is broadcast on the BBC) is one of the best crime dramas. These days, there are a lot of crime dramas. Among those numerous crime dramas, Sherlock Holmes shines. It has various cases in every episode. Episodes usually begin with people who ask Sherlock Holmes to take the cases. Cases vary from finding stuffs to catching criminals. After he decides to take the cases, he looks for clues with his best friend, Dr. Watson. When the clues are gathered, Sherlock Holmes solves the cases using his smart brain. There are brilliant ideas to solve the cases in every episode.

The thing that makes Sherlock Holmes shine is not only the great plot, but also the interesting setting, soundtrack, and actor. It has different methods of investigation compared to the other Sherlock Holmes works. Sherlock Holmes' original work is set in 1887. As a result, many Sherlock Holmes re-creation works show the 19th century. On the other hand, this drama has the 21st century background. Because it's background is the 21st century, Sherlock Holmes uses phones and laptops to solve cases. Additionally, it has a suitable soundtrack. When the cases start, mischievous music starts. Sherlock Holmes jumps for joy on taking the cases while the music flows. The music makes the scenes more playful. Moreover, there is brilliant actor, Benedict Cumberbatch. He talks very fast and confidently. Also, he does unusual gestures. For example, when he concentrates, he folds his hands under his chin. Those actions make Sherlock Holmes geek who thinks himself the smartest man. As a result, you can be immersed in the drama.

Sherlock Holmes has an old history. A lot of crime dramas are based on Sherlock Holmes. Therefore, if beginners watch Sherlock Holmes, they can understand the other normal crime dramas. In conclusion, if you like detective stories or are a crime drama beginner, you should see this wonderful crime drama, Sherlock Holmes!

An absolute treat!!!

Author: henriette-768-800927 from Denmark
28 January 2013

I have been a fan of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes since I was a child and have read the original canon countless times.

I have watched many incarnations of Holmes on both the big and small screen, and had come to the conclusion that no Sherlock Holmes series could live up the the late and great Jeremy Brett.

Well ... and then there was Sherlock.

I was hooked by the first episode and have watched all the episodes several times. The writing and dialogue is sublime, the actors sensational and the direction flawless. Best of all: The series is truly loyal to the original canon, and it is packed full of wonderful insider references and jokes.

It is simply a joy to watch.

Review/Summary of Sherlock

Author: shawn_ashmore_addict from United States
12 March 2011

In this modern rendition of Sherlock Holmes, a stylish Sherlock Holmes, excellently played by Benedict Cumberbatch (Atonement, Amazing Grace), appears much like his description in the novels and stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He's tall, dark, and lanky, a much better fit than the talented, yet not-quite-right Robert Downey, Jr. Cumberbatch definitely includes some of Downey Jr.'s smarminess, but his Holmes, along with the correct look, has an authentic British accent. His comic timing is impeccable, as is Dr. Watson's. Martin Freeman (Love Actually, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) portrays Dr. Watson as the books also describe him, a soldier trying to fit back into civilian life. Freeman captures the soldier perfectly, allowing him to tolerate Holmes in a way that no one else can and yet having him get as annoyed with Holmes, at times, as the rest of the characters.

The contemporary setting of Holmes and Watson's adventures does nothing to hinder the intrigue. In fact, the technology helps tremendously. More than one episode involves cell phones, specifically texting, and Watson keeps a blog rather than a journal. Holmes tracks killers down with lab tests and computers combined with his previous, seemingly endless, knowledge. The towering skyscrapers and rush of traffic places Holmes in a dazzling London, a contrast to the older feel his and Watson's flat gives off, the wallpaper especially exuding a distinctly Victorian feel. The modern-day setting also allows for more gay jokes at Holmes's and Watson's expense, their sexuality often a speculation among fans of Doyle's work.

However many changes there are, the fans of the original work will not be disappointed. The show constantly references the literature, often in small remarks that could be difficult to catch. Sherlock once tells Watson, "I'd be lost without my blogger," a smart reference to a very similar line in the stories in which Holmes refers to Watson as his "Boswell." Also in the stories, Watson has a brother, named H. Watson, who is an alcoholic. Sherlock smartly twists this so that John has an alcoholic sister named Harriet, but called Harry, for short. In the stories, Watson is wounded first in the shoulder, but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle later, mistakenly, changes this to the leg. The show refers to this by creatively giving Watson a psychosomatic limp in one of his legs. He later relays to Sherlock that he was actually shot in the shoulder. In the second episode, "The Blind Banker," Sherlock makes a small mention of a bullet being shot through an open window. In the story "The Adventure of the Empty House," Sherlock deduces that a man is shot through an open window. Professor Moriarty, originally named James, calls himself Jim in the series, a clever update from the text. Thus, the series satisfies new fans, as well as old ones with these inclusions.

All in all, Sherlock remains a successful vision of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. It illustrates the strong bond between Holmes and Watson as they solve mysteries together while including humor, romance, and a fast-paced London. Holmes's quick deducing keeps the viewers guessing why so many people dislike such a brilliant man. His inhuman genius creates a perfect foil for John's undeniably human qualities. The duo, expertly played by their respective actors, brings Holmes into the 21st century with an elegance rarely seen in adaptations of classic literature.

So close and yet so far

Author: nephilistpost from Ireland
16 January 2012

A modern adaptation, on what has to be one of the greatest characters ever created in literary history, is always going to be a minefield of critics and praises. I watched the series with an open mind and found myself left frustrated at how close they came to brilliance yet spoiled it with critical mistakes.

The cast is excellent with the primary figures of Sherlock and Watson played nothing short of brilliantly by Cumberbatch and Freeman. The filming, the pace, the settings.. all of it is spot on.

The difficulty comes in the exaggerations. Sherlock himself is transformed into a walking database that is almost cartoonish. Moriarty's character is akin to 'the joker' from batman with the exception that the joker is probably more believable. Essentially, they had all the ingredients to create brilliance and spoiled that by trying too hard.

I believe the extremes they go to in an effort to make it entertaining were largely unnecessary. It seriously needed someone on the reins who could keep a modicum of realism and a touch of sanity so it didn't enter the world of marvel comics.

My 18 yr old enjoyed the show immensely and if it introduces a new generation to Conan Doyle then something good will come out of the series. Personally I found it frustratingly painful to watch.