IMDb > "Sherlock" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sherlock"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Sherlock" More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 45: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Fantastic Show

Author: phatswanson from United States
12 February 2014

I usually don't like it when a show makes significant changes to a story I already know, but this version of Sherlock Holmes is every bit as good as any of the Doyle novels. No spoiler alerts here. I just wanted to let new viewers know they are in for a treat. After watching the first two seasons I then watched "Star Trek: Into Darkness". Being an original Star Trek TV series fan I didn't think anyone could surpass Ricardo Montoban's portrayal of Khan, but Cumberbatch was great! I have watched many different Holmes movies and TV shows, but this is one of the few that my wife will sit down to watch with me. BTW...did anyone else notice that the theme song was taken from the old "Flint" movies (In like Flint & Our man Flint)?

Sherlock, better than Sherlock Holmes

Author: Navonil Das from Sana'a, Yemen
15 January 2014

As usual like everyone, I was not so comfortable with idea of Sherlock surfing net on his Blackberry but a watch of the pilot episode was enough to wash the Sherlock Holmes image and get the Sherlock image fixated. This is how it should have been done, may be it would have been had Sir Arthur Conan Doyle been of the 21st century.

Sherlock is very much like the traditional Sherlock Holmes with an intrinsic eye for detail, non-debatable logic and least to say witty. This Sherlock looks younger than Sherlock Holmes, and in a way that does not hamper the image. He solves crime investigations, goes after criminals, accepts their challenge and om top of it loves what he does.

Watson however is almost the same, like an average man who brings contrast to the unfathomably brilliant Sherlock.

Each episode is about 80 - 90 minutes which gives you more than what you might ask for.

Great show! LOVE IT!

Author: Britney Alex
1 December 2013

I really love the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books, and i really enjoy this series! It's so improved to the 21st century! Most of young teenagers would probably pass the opportunity to watch this great series but i'm not included! This has to be one of the best shows i've ever seen (Sherlock and i really love Doctor Who)! I recommend it to all ages and i recommend young people, like me, to read the books and just enjoy the great series that are inspired in really big and awesome books by great authors! This show is based on the Sherlock Holmes books and it's so cool for all ages! They use their own gadgets (iphones and stuff like that)and the show itself has it's own magic that makes you completely fall in love with it! It happened to me! I'm so excited for the 3rd series premiere! January 1st will be my lucky day! Followed by January 5th (the second episode will be aired on that date)!

Really good until...

Author: mysticnox from United States
30 September 2013

They introduce Moriarty. Both Sherlock and Watson are charming, and interesting, with excellent play against each other.

It's been a wonderful modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, and not nearly as ridiculous as the American created Elementary. Quite honestly, it's amazing how good British television is.

But then they bring in Moriarty. Being that this is Sherlocks biggest foe, the way they brought him into the story was both fitting and dramatic.

The problem is the guy they got to play him. They COULD have gotten someone with a deep voice who just exudes charm and sophistication. Instead, they chose someone whose voice cracks when he talks like he's a teenage boy, who has no charm at all, and exudes something incredibly annoying that just rubs me the wrong way (no idea what exactly it is). I don't mind the fact that the characters has vague gay overtones (more power to him) but I do mind that his voice and attitude are like nails on a chalkboard. He has nothing going for him other than being good looking.

Why didn't they choose someone better for the part? It kind of blew the whole thing once they'd introduced him. Now I'm not sure I can watch anymore episodes because he is sooooo annoying.

I don't like detective shows but I love this

Author: Certified_Teacher from United States
30 August 2013

I hate CSI and all those detective shows. That genre never appealed to me, but Sherlock is fantastic. The brilliant duo of Cumberbatch and Freeman as Sherlock and Watson (respectively) couldn't be better. These were the best casting decisions since I don't know when. Fearing that a modern day Sherlock Holmes would be cheesy, I haphazardly tuned in not expecting much. I was instantly locked in to the characters and story lines without complaining about plot holes and cheesy references to the original books. The series is composed of three 90 min episodes per season which will leave you hanging. I heard no promotion for this show nor saw any reviews. Netflix recommended it so I tried it. The best decision ever. Check it out.

221 B, Baker Street is alive and better than ever :)

Author: papergaery from Dubai, UAE
1 April 2013

It was 2010 and a good friend says you gotto watch this. I ignore it cause, I did not want to spoil my image of the pipe dwelling and tweed suited master and replace it with an internet savvy and cell phone wielding imitation. It was 2011 when the ratings were out and another bunch of my well known critic-friends tell me I just have to watch it. I listen to my heart and ignore it once again. Its 2012 and when stuck on a job, I turned to "Sherlok" Season one Episode one just to humor myself...and there began a love story which I hope never ends. Its brilliant, surprisingly stays authentic and true to the original and you feel the pages of Mr.Doyle's writing open up in-front of you. Mr.Doyle himself would have been proud. Its a fantastic adaptation and just when I thought TV was dying here comes a series that would want me to cancel appointments and keep my date with my couch, but of course with coffee cause this show demands attention and you don't want to miss any words when Mr.Homes is doing is lighting paced analysis. :) Watch it for the sheer pleasure and the joy of re-living on "Baker Street".

Magnificent !!

Author: Mohammed Atawi from United Kingdom
10 March 2013

If you're looking for an inspiring Character and unbelievably genius story lines , you have got to watch this series !!! Sherlock in this TV show is the most mysterious and clever character I have ever seen in British tili !

What made me grabbed by the nick is how the story seems impossible to solve , and yet , it get figured in a ( believable ) way , unlike some crime shows or novels , its the priceless core of this TV show .

At some points in every single episode I get too excited that I cant wait any longer to watch Sherlock figuring it out ! if you have 90 minutes as spare time , watch one episode and you'll never get bored ..

Great Show!

Author: leadolphin from Gallifrey
6 January 2013

Spoilers

Sherlock is my new favourite show! Unfortunately, I've run out of episodes. That's the one thing I don't like about this show, there are only 3 episodes per season. Sherlock is a very quirky character. He's like able, but he's very rude. He often makes foot in the mouth comments. Watson is great. Oh, and by the way, if you've seen any of the shows, did you notice that Martin Freeman is a lefty? Anyway, Watson is perfect! In the Basil Wrath Bone (I think That's right...) movies, Watson is old, and bumbling. This Watson is clever, although not near the level of Sherlock.

There are several funny aspects to the show. For example, Watson found a head in the fridge (which was later discovered by Mrs. Hudson) in the fridge, fingers in the fridge, and eyeballs in the microwave. Sherlock also causes several out of place things to say ie "Your brother forgot his pants", "If you'll excuse me, I left my riding crop in the morgue." and other strange out of place things. I always like a good suspenseful show that's edge of your seat the whole time, but funny too.

This is a great revival of Sherlock Holmes. I don't know what to make of the American one, since Watson is a woman and the whole reason Watson and Sherlock meet is because they can't afford to pay apartment rent. Oh, and if you're wondering about what age this is appropriate for, I'd say about 9 and up. Depending on the episode.

All in all, great show, and great representation of the best detective ever. Can't wait for the third season to come out on Netflix!

Awesome - breathtaking - cinematography a 10, too.

Author: thelna1-1 from United States
7 October 2012

Sherlock TV series sets the bar for all Sherlock Holmes adaptions. Past, present, and future.

Season one was very good. season 2 was INCREDIBLE! I am going to go insane waiting for season 3. I thought Showtimes Dexter, was captivating and fun, but this show is a vortex of drama, mystery and action.

I don't think many people take notice of this, but from the first episode I fell in love with the directors vision and the cinematography. Every shot is a masterpiece. There are so few television shows that have inspired and thoughtful direction of scenes.

Great acting, great directing, great editing, great scenes, great everything!

I am now watching all of the older sherlock Holmes movies and TV shows that have been made, and I am reading the original books; yeah, from way way back when. I want to see how well each movie series stacks up against the books.

My base line for the series was the Movies with Robert Downey Jr. The only reason why i watched this TV series was because I was hoping to find something that decently compared to the movie. I knew nothing of the books.

Sherlock, the TV show does a better job at following the books than the Robert Downey Movies, at least from what i can tell. However, the movies only have two and half hours to get the story across, while the TV series had something like four times that amount.

Sherlock the TV series did not waste a single minute of air time. Everything means something and something that means nothing, was already something that was meant. huh!

The series is so good, that i am now going to watch the movies with robert D. Jr. again, because I now have to see if those movies are capable of standing up to the Sherlock TV series. The bar is set, and it is high. Once I am done obsorbing all the Sherlock adaptations ever made, that are worth watching, I will have to review my rating. I have a feeling i may have rated this TV series too low.

Must see TV, oh heck, must see if you have a brain and working eyeballs.

It's Elementary, Watson

Author: Vismay Harani from Vadodara, India
12 August 2012

Speaking of the inspired and the inspiring… 'A study in Pink' is a remarkable and riveting episode of 'Sherlock', bundled with loads of drama, wry humor and some very excellent performances. Sherlock Holmes- the name conjures up images of the quite eccentrically brilliant detective thinking deeply in the haze of the cigarette smoke, stringing his violin or in a perfectly determined posture, with all the molecules in his body concentrated at a single point, his eyes burning brightly with anticipation. You read or watch him once; he becomes an obsession for a lifetime. Steven Moffat's take on Sherlock Holmes lives up to the original 'Study in Scarlet' written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He has indeed managed to transform a Mr. Holmes of the late 19th century to quite the modern settings of the bustling, gas-guzzling and gadget-gorging world. More so is the tremendous acting by Benedict Cumberbatch, he indeed imbibes Holmes well. The story begins with a troubled Dr. Watson who has recently returned from a war in Afghanistan with a shot in the shoulder. Living on the British pension, his condition is in dire straits. Through a common friend, he meets Sherlock Holmes, who in the first meet itself has quite an effect on the impressionable Watson. They decide to share the lodgings. But when you live with Sherlock Holmes, how come would your life be without a bit of mystery and a dash of adventure? Soon Watson finds himself embroiled in a crime scene investigation and discovers that his life is fraught with risks as he is kidnapped by a mysterious guy who calls himself 'the arch enemy of Sherlock Holmes'. As Alfred Hitchcock rightly said, "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it," this movie also succeeds in building up the story quite well, but the end is a wee bit disappointing. But, I really got a refreshingly new flavor to taste. 'A study in Pink' indeed whets my appetite but by no means is this thirst completely satiated. In the days to come, I would be watching the other episodes of 'Sherlock' and I must say this indeed forms my staple diet as without it I won't quite be able to survive…