IMDb > "Big Lake" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Big Lake" More at IMDbPro »

Disjointed, ill-conceived, and 15% funny at best

Author: akhomerun from United States
17 August 2010

In short, Big Lake won't last more than one season. What struck me most about the first two episodes of the series is the the show's terrible plot progression. I don't think the show's progression makes sense even on a laugh track sitcom level.

The premise of the show is good enough and unique, but the execution is lacking, and the main character's situation could have led to a much more compelling show.

I was constantly asking myself what the main characters were trying to accomplish in relation to the premise of the show. I was also struggling to remember any of the main characters' names. None of the characters are memorable, save for the history teacher (Chris Parnell) and maybe the main character's (Chris Gethard?) little brother.

I don't think I've ever seen such horrible story progression in a single episode, even in a sitcom.

Finally, Chris Gethard is the most un-funny, annoying character on the show and he's the main character. Who approved this show?

Good parts of the show: Some of Chris Parnell's jokes. A bum history teacher is definitely a great role for him. Um...Horatio Sanz's weight loss? I would rather watch this than George Lopez. Overall, the show isn't obnoxious....like George Lopez.

Comedy Central has never really been able to produce a decent live action show (not based on stand up or sketch comedy) and the trend hasn't changed with Big Lake. I don't see a laugh-track sitcom reaching Comedy Central's demographic.

Awesome if you live for laugh tracks.

Author: Scy_Fy_JunKiE from United States
18 August 2010

I just didn't get it. Maybe I should watch while under the influence of.... anything.

But it seemed to me as if the laugh tracks preceded every joke and were more of an annoyance and stuck out like a sore thumb then something that simply added to the tone of the show.

Maybe it was the timing.... maybe it was the fact that I was sober. I'm not entirely sure.

The one thing I can say is that so far the premise seems ridiculous and in no way relatable which if it is the point of the show then it sorely missed me.

The main characters of the show are not even that. They are caricatures. The main "character" is a joke and so far from reality that I don't even get the joke. But the secondary characters are even worse. OMG I'm a little brother who sneaks out and does unmentionable things for untold amounts of cash and hasn't attended school for years. Really? Cut me a break.

To me it seems that the premise is okay, guy looses job and parents money and wants to make it back for them. But he will do anything but get a job. The execution is so poor that those of us on the verge of bankruptcy won't get the thought process behind it.

Maybe I need drugs to get the joke.... if that is the case. Please someone hook me up.

I loved Step Brothers, so I had hopes this would be the same level of comedy genius, it isn't...

Author: scarletminded from San Diego, CA
18 August 2010

I watched the first two episodes of this show and thought since one of my favorite movies of late is Step Brothers, the one-two punch of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay would be fantastic. But it isn't. The jokes aren't funny at all. I didn't laugh that much during the two shows because all the funny bits I did laugh at prior, I saw on the commercials for this show.

I am not sure why it isn't funny. I mean, I watch Hot in Cleveland and if that can be funny, this should be too. I don't know specifically why it doesn't work, but it doesn't. But one thing positive about it is that Horatio Sanz is looking really good. I saw him on a SNL prime time special and he looks so svelte.

Like the other reviewer said, it has an interesting idea but the characters are bland and unremarkable and the plot line putters along without making too much sense. I think the laugh track is annoying and they could have made it a more Arrested Development type show...including adding some humor into it somehow like that show has. I thought at least the younger brother, who is a "bad seed" like the horror movies of the same name, being super nice during the day and evil at night, had promise...but it just isn't amusing enough to keep me watching.

This show has much more appeal than it is given credit for

Author: RG Bartley
16 November 2011

Is this show perfect? No. Is it funny? Absolutely. Gethard plays his character very convincingly depicting a genuinely misguided but well- intending friend that isn't always the blunt-end of the joke. Parnell balances a semi-self-aware slacker with enough common sense to coast through life. Horatio Sanz perfectly combines dumb and funny while avoiding painfully stupid and annoyance. Dylan Blue's character is a vector for the style of comedy that utilizes unexpected responses and juxtaposition of age/lifestyles which he delivers with full efficacy. The rest of the cast does equally well in portraying their characters and filling their roles but with less screen time.

Critiques of the plot are misplaced as the show's intention is not to tell a great story but instead to use the plot to drive forward situational comedy. As such the show's intention is dead-on. There's seldom a minute that passes without a joke and most of them fly. This type of comedy relies on a laugh track so there's no awkward silence after deliveries that may not work.

I've watched the series multiple times and it is worth the time. It's easy to critique and therefore will lead some people to never have a chance to enjoy but the appreciation is more subtle as the humour jumps around in style.

What decade is this?

Author: mattm221 from United States
24 August 2010

I saw the commercials for this, it didn't really look that funny. Now I'm waiting on The Daily Show to come on and I'm stuck watching this. I thought maybe since Will Ferrell was involved in it's creation, it might have at least a couple laughs. I was wrong. All the other reviews pretty much hit the nail on the head. The idea of the show is...OK, and it could have delivered something good but...it just feels wrong. It seems as though it's trying to be a parody of an 80's/90's sitcom. I have never been a fan of extremely repetitive laugh tracks, and this is no exception. But at least in the older sitcoms, the laugh followed a joke that could actually be considered...funny, and the acting was at least sometimes somewhat believable. As stated before, it just feels like its trying to be a parody of a sitcom and it's maybe..supposed to be kinda fake but it just doesn't work. I will also be surprised if this show sees a second season.

Needs Work to Make It!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
28 November 2010

There is a reason that New York City filmed sitcoms never do well. It's because shows like Big Lake need support from other sitcoms. NYC sitcoms like Big Lake never have the support of the studio system to help ill what matters. It's not like they have 30 Rock next door to help them out. Anyway, the plot is thin. It's about an adult who returns home to his parents in Big Lake, Pennsylvania. I love the casting of James Rebhorn and Deborah Rush as the parents. James Rebhorn is more well-known for his darker roles on daytime but this Jersey resident is one of the finest actors around and needs for his talent to be shown to the world and the same for Deborah Rush. They take the bad writing and work it like professionals. Jonathan, their adult son, has two friends played by Saturday Night Live Alums, Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz. I love both of them but they're not being utilized very well. Jeremy is the younger brother who acts more grown up and has a thriving business in reality. He would rather launder money to plan for his film school future. His parents are oblivious to the boy's maturity and brilliance but he's lacking a childhood with friends his own age. There are some moments in this show but not enough to keep it going.

funny

Author: j from United States
1 September 2010

i think its a hilarious. i watch comedies to laugh, and thats pretty much it. its guy humor also. episode where josh trys to work at dads store is classic comedy to me. I've only watched 2 out of the 4 episodes, but im satisfied.

horatio and parnell are their usual selfs, bringing the same snl comedy to program. only negative thing i would say is the whole father son/family thing is kind of boring, but other than that and some minor flaws its great.

oh the little brother is funny also.

funny funny